• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

series
the fact that she'll die kinda confirms she's not, no? i'm sure GRRM would have said something.

It's a book subplot that (ADWD)
she may have been pregnant, and that the girl everyone thinks is her is really another girl. They can still pull that off if she's presumed dead (but not actually dead) on the show.

If you cared about characterization, this episode was a homerun. No other episode this season has done this good a job of giving us insight into the inner thoughts and motivations of all the characters. The next 3 episodes are going to be explosive and all of it will have been set up by understanding the motivations of all the characters.

FStop7

Banned
Every time Jon Snow says her name...

red-egret-with-fish-dave-mills.jpg

"Brawk! You know nothing, Jon Snow! Brawk!"

Fey

Banned
It's a book subplot that (ADWD)
she may have been pregnant, and that the girl everyone thinks is her is really another girl. They can still pull that off if she's presumed dead (but not actually dead) on the show.

My memory of ADWD is pretty bad but [ADWD]
isn't most of that simply theories from readers, rather than a subplot? iirc, she's in the book, but simply stands there and says little to nothing? it's based on the description of her appearance that the whole "Jeyne is pregnant/in hiding" theory sprouted, isn't it?

Arment

ASOS
The chains make their appearance. I wondered how they'd do Tyrion offing Shae without the necklace of hands...solves that.

zychi

Banned
So reddit is telling me that the letter Talisa is writing is actually to
Tywinn Lannister?

Is there any truth to this?

e: had a brain fart

LordCanti

isn't most of that simply theories from readers, rather than a subplot? iirc, she's in the book, but simply stands there and says little to nothing? it's based on the description of her appearance that the whole "Jeyne is pregnant/in hiding" theory sprouted, isn't it?

(ADWD)
I forget the specifics, but she was described by one person in one way, and then by another person (much later) in a very different manner, to the point that it couldn't have been the same person.

Edit: Uggg read the post below mine. Fuck. That.

ASOS
The chains make their appearance. I wondered how they'd do Tyrion offing Shae without the necklace of hands...solves that.

ASOS (seriously big spoiler, be forewarned)
that will be a magical bit of TV. I don't think they'll go for a straight adaptation (no one is going to believe that Peter Dinklage could actually accomplish that feat) so maybe he'll sneak up on her or something?

Pretty much

(ASOS/AFFC)

http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/influential-fans-the-webmasters-of-westerosorg.html

Despite the best efforts of Martin and the Westeros.org volunteers, some inconsistencies have slipped through into the books. Ironically, these errors have resulted in a thriving subculture of Song of Ice and Fire conspiracy theories. "One of the big ones has to do with the description of a character [Robb Stark's wife, Jeyne Westerling] and her hips," says Antonsson, "where one character from the third book says she has good childbearing hips, and in the fourth book, someone says her hips are narrow. And now people speculate, 'Oh, oh, this is a hint. There’s been a switch. Someone has changed. It’s not the same girl and it’s all a trick.'" As far as Antonsson is concerned, "I'm pretty sure it was just a mistake. George has apparently told people that it’s a mistake. But people want to believe this very complex theory of theirs."

aceface

ADWD
I don't buy that Talisa is a spy. We'll be able to tell the outcome of the Jeyne theory by what happens on the show RW. If Talisa is killed, Jeyne has nothing useful to do for the rest of the books. If Rob sends her off into hiding then we know that book Jeyne is important and probably is pregnant with Rob's kid. I honestly think Jeyne has nothing useful to do for the rest of the books- I took it at face value that her grandmother snuck moon tea into her food to keep her from getting pregnant.

FStop7

Banned
So reddit is telling me that the letter Talisa is writing is actually to
Tywinn Lannister?

Is there any truth to this?

e: had a brain fart

ASOS
That would be a big change from the books. But the character's already been changed significantly, so I suppose it's possible. Doesn't really make sense, though.

Massa

ASOS Major spoilers
The rendition of Rains of Castamere this week was amazing. And speaking of it, they're going to play that song over and over next week at Tyrion's wedding, then bam...

Fey

Banned
ASOS Major spoilers
The rendition of Rains of Castamere this week was amazing. And speaking of it, they're going to play that song over and over next week at Tyrion's wedding, then bam...

ASOS
That's smart. Drill into people's minds that it's a Lannister song.

Eidan

The only scene that didn't resonate with me nearly as much as I expected was the Tywin/Joffrey scene. Standout scene was probably the Dany one. Just as in the book, her storyline is the most interesting at this point in the story.

aceface

One thing about the bear pit scene...how the hell does Jamie climb up the side of the bear pit largely unaided with a stump for one hand?

njean777

One thing about the bear pit scene...how the hell does Jamie climb up the side of the bear pit largely unaided with a stump for one hand?

ASOS;
from what I remember Jamie actually kills the bear in the book one handed. I have no clue why they took that out if it happened. Can anybody remember of he did kill the bear? For some reason I remember him doing that.

As for the show didn't Brienne help him? He can still use his stump. He just had his elbow around the post I assume.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I feel like the whole thing happened too quickly for it to have much emotional impact. I was expecting something closer to this scene from Rome season 1 - http://youtu.be/pj8yq_urL5c

That scene needed more time to build up to Jaime jumping in the pit. And a better shot of him jumping in would have helped too. Everything after he jumped in was fine, though.

But then again him jumping in there right away instead of being conflicted about it is awesome. It just felt really awkward to me

Ha, funny that you mention that scene from Rome, because I was sorta expecting the same.

I love GoT, but it really feels like some of the "big moments" keep getting rushed through or given less gravity than I expect (Or sometimes just skipped entirely, in the case of battle scenes :(. )

Dysun

First off, I need to say I'm bummed at no "I only rescue maidens" line, I hope they can still work that in next time we get a Jaime/Brienne scene.
Otherwise I enjoyed their first scene where Brienne addresses him by Ser Jaime, and the Bear Pit lived up to it.

The Dragons cgi looked good, nothing much else to say about Dany
Tormund's "Haha" is the closest we're getting to "HAR!" aren't we? I appreciated the colorfulness however, and felt like this was Jon's strongest episode in a long time.

Talisa being pregnant and the Blackfish going to the Twins, I wonder if he is gonna be a BAMF and escape with the Queen + heir to the north? Otherwise they may both be killed at the RW and make up for the lack of bannermen present. That would be quite the massacre if Robb + Talisa + Baby + Catelyn + Blackfish + Manderly all die, it's going to be just as bad as the book counter-part. Plus the audience might even consider Arya among the dead.

The Lannisters send their regards? I get it, but I don't like it!

Episode 8 preview looks like we are getting leeches and not shadowbaby, thankfully

ASOS;
from what I remember Jamie actually kills the bear in the book one handed. I have no clue why they took that out if it happened. Can anybody remember of he did kill the bear? For some reason I remember him doing that.

As for the show didn't Brienne help him? He can still use his stump. He just had his elbow around the post I assume.

ASOS
I think the bear died from being shot with arrows in the book

Brienne only helped him after he had already started climbing up. He got high enough on his own that the bear couldn't reach him and then he was able to grab Brienne's hand after that. I think he kind of shimmied up a rectangular rail or something and then wedged himself in between that and another part of the wall

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
First off, I need to say I'm bummed at no "I only rescue maidens" line, I hope they can still work that in next time we get a Jaime/Brienne scene.
Otherwise I enjoyed their first scene where Brienne addresses him by Ser Jaime, and the Bear Pit lived up to it.

The Dragons cgi looked good, nothing much else to say about Dany
Tormund's "Haha" is the closest we're getting to "HAR!" aren't we? I appreciated the colorfulness however, and felt like this was Jon's strongest episode in a long time.

Talisa being pregnant and the Blackfish going to the Twins, I wonder if he is gonna be a BAMF and escape with the Queen + heir to the north? Otherwise they may both be killed at the RW and make up for the lack of bannermen present. That would be quite the massacre if Robb + Talisa + Baby + Catelyn + Blackfish + Manderly all die, it's going to be just as bad as the book counter-part. Plus the audience might even consider Arya among the dead.

Episode 8 preview looks like we are getting leeches and not shadowbaby, thankfully

ASOS/AFFC
The ONLY reason I can see Blackfish being killed in the show is so they can add some emotion to the event for book viewers.

Or maybe he's going to be super awesome and escape the wedding, and run back to Riverrun ASAP.

cj_iwakura

The other thread is driving me nuts right now.

Series/ADWD:

I just want to tell all those guys griping about Theon's scenes that they wouldn't even have them at all if this were the book. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Series/ADWD:

I just want to tell all those guys griping about Theon's scenes that they wouldn't even have them at all if this were the book. :(

series
I'd argue it was better that way. The reveal of Reek in the books was great, especially after thinking Theon dead for two books. Same thing with Tyrion being absent in AFFC, it made the paranoia of Cersei and Jamie all the more effective. It's too bad the need to keep an actor under contract ruins the possibility of doing that.

Series

Talisa is not actually pregnant, she is a Lannister spy playing Rob

Also, we get it, Theon is being tortured by a psycho...too much time being spent there.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They should have waited till episode 5 or so to bring back Theon. Keep him on staff but at least keep him away for a while, let people wonder. Also, the escape thing could have lasted 2 or 3 episodes if they had worked it right.

Loofy

Series/ADWD:

If it was the book
Alfie allen would be taking an extra long summer break.

My hype for the bear pit was unfounded. None of my favorite lines made the cut, wahhh.

I just wanted a 'You want her? Go get her.' followed by Jamie nonchalantly jumping into the pit. Was that too much to ask for?!

I still enjoyed it though, that swagger with the Rains of Castamere playing in the background.

Also, the chick who plays Dany is officially an amazing actress. When she was talking to the slavelord, watch her eyes when he says something about how she committed horrors. Most subtle eyeroll ever.

cj_iwakura

They should have waited till episode 5 or so to bring back Theon. Keep him on staff but at least keep him away for a while, let people wonder. Also, the escape thing could have lasted 2 or 3 episodes if they had worked it right.

Series
It's entirely possible they plan on making non-readers think he's dead by the end of 3 or 4 for a while.

TheExodu5

Banned
Can someone help me out? Trying to start reading again, and at my point of the Dany storyline in the books, she's
outside of some town, who's path was marked by a bunch of crucified slaves, where some hero was taunting them and Strong Belwas killed him
. Where does this episode fit in? Before or after where I am in the books?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I haven't read the books but I am curious about something though. Is Tywin looking to take the throne?

Not really spoiler but just to be safe
He is too smart to want the throne. He has all the power he could ever want by dominating the king as the hand. And the Iron Throne has enormous debt. He wants no part of that.

LordCanti

Can someone help me out? Trying to start reading again, and at my point of the Dany storyline in the books, she's
outside of some town, who's path was marked by a bunch of crucified slaves, where some hero was taunting them and Strong Belwas killed him
. Where does this episode fit in? Before or after where I am in the books?

This episode is before that. Quite a bit before, I'd think.

SaskBoy

Regarding speculation on Talisa and Shae:
If Talisa is indeed a spy, I wouldn't be surprised if Shae was another one of Tywin's spies. In the Blackwater episode in Season 2 when Cersei asks about Shae's past, Shae starts a story the exact same way Talisa did when telling Robb about her past. In my mind this connects them somehow, probably similar training and background stories in spy school?

Also, Tyrion killing Shae because she spied on him makes way more sense than because she slept with Tywin because she was jealous of Sansa.

Magnus

Someone help me remember why Jaime's lost lines are important?

I dunno...I seriously don't even know how people remember the text from books they've read years ago. Blows me away. I read ASOS last year and just remember scenes with only some repeated lines of dialogue burned into memory (like, "You know nothing, Jon Snow").

ASOS

Next episode...
Coldhands time?

ASOS
Wasn't that way way at the end of ASOS? With Sam/Bran/etc. and the magical door and all that crap?

Someone help me remember why Jaime's lost lines are important?

I dunno...I seriously don't even know how people remember the text from books they've read years ago. Blows me away. I read ASOS last year and just remember scenes with only some repeated lines of dialogue burned into memory (like, "You know nothing, Jon Snow").

For me personally, the Bear Pit was a huge thing, and that particular line I wanted seriously had me giggling in joy. Just picturing them standing around, huge bear about to kill the Maid, Jamie demanding her release, and the asshole answering with 'You want her? Go and get her.' and laughing because no one would actually do that.

Until Jamie did that and it was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom