• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS
I think the fact that he never once went to see him is what I thought was really strange.
I was under the impression that Tywin wouldn't let him, but I can't find a source for that. Anyway, he did go free him after the trial, so that certainly counts for something.

Eidan

I was looking through the other thread, and I have to say, I think it's weird when you have people praise Tywin for exerting his dominance over everyone and being a "boss", but complain about Daenerys and saying she needs to be brought down a notch.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was looking through the other thread, and I have to say, I think it's weird when you have people praise for Tywin for exerting his dominance over everyone and being a "boss", but complain about Daenerys and saying she needs to be brought down a notch.
Little boys threatened by women in power? Who knows.

I was looking through the other thread, and I have to say, I think it's weird when you have people praise for Tywin for exerting his dominance over everyone and being a "boss", but complain about Daenerys and saying she needs to be brought down a notch.

Good luck ever getting them to admit the real reason for that.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

While it's always tempting to cry sexism, I think it's more likely a normal reaction to just how stacked the deck seems to be in Dany's favour. She has an army of subservient slaves (while saving slaves!) and dragons, and a bunch of sycophants.

[series]
And the way things are going, I don't expect that view to change anytime soon. Adapting Dany's ADWD chapters in a way that doesn't at once bore and frustrate the viewers is going to be challenging as hell.

While it's always tempting to cry sexism, I think it's more likely a normal reaction to just how stacked the deck seems to be in Dany's favour. She has an army of subservient slaves (while saving slaves!) and dragons, and a bunch of sycophants.

[series]
And the way things are going, I don't expect that view to change anytime soon. Adapting Dany's ADWD chapters in a way that doesn't at once bore and frustrate the viewers is going to be challenging as hell.

Tywin is basically ruler of Westeros right now. He's the richest man in the realm, hand of the king, and has by far the largest army. He's also talked down to several people this season and seems to think of his children as his servants. But apparently he's a badass and doesn't need to be brought down a peg.

cj_iwakura

Tywin is basically ruler of Westeros right now. He's the richest man in the realm, hand of the king, and has by far the largest army. He's also talked down to several people this season and seems to think of his children as his servants. But apparently he's a badass and doesn't need to be brought down a peg.

He's also a dick.

ASOS
And he'll get brought down low.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have to agree that this was one of the weaker episodes this season... It was okay, but you expect a bit more from the man himself. I wasn't disappointed by the bear scene though, thought it turned out great. Other highlights: Clarke proving ep4 wasn't a lucky hit, she's really out-doing herself this season. Also: dat dragon cgi. Rheon is the revelation of the season and I loved seeing a Bronn/Tyrion scene again. The swooning/fainting exchange between Jon and Ygritte was another great little moment. But...
[series]
"What would I do [across the Narrow Sea]? Juggle?” I think this was every reader's favorite line of the episode

Thought Osha looked weird and creepy as fuck, she's getting closer to this each ep.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

But there is still clear opposition to him, from the audience perspective. There's Varys and Littlefinger playing their own game, the Tyrells are not Lannisters, and yes, he is the hand, but he is still not the King. Starks are in the game as well, so it's hard to perceive Tywin as the undisputed top dog of the realm.

Also, Charles Dance is a better actor with a better written role than Clarke, thus badassery.

devilhawk

[series]
I guarantee they tone down ADwD
a lot of the Harpy crap and expand Quentyn. Might just have to reduce her presence. Dany's chapters throughout ADwD are easily Martin's worst in the series. There is nothing redeeming like in Brienne's in AFfC with the world building.

cj_iwakura

But there is still clear opposition to him, from the audience perspective. There's Varys and Littlefinger playing their own game, the Tyrells are not Lannisters, and yes, he is the hand, but he is still not the King. Starks are in the game as well, so it's hard to perceive Tywin as the undisputed top dog of the realm.

Also, Charles Dance is a better actor with a better written role than Clarke, thus badassery.

I have immense respect for Joffrey's actor for being able to hold his own.

I guarantee they tone down ADwD
a lot of the Harpy crap and expand Quentyn. Might just have to reduce her presence. Dany's chapters throughout ADwD is easily Martin's worst in the series. There is nothing redeeming like in Brienne's in AFfC with the world building.

Now, now.
AFFC&ADWD
Let's not rewrite history now. Brienne's chapters were dreadful. The only reason they beat Dany's is because at least you can read the characters' names.

Regarding Jaime and his hand, does anyone else think
Bronn is going to replace Payne as his travelling companion/sparring partner?

Amir0x

Banned
I love AFFC. Can't wait to see that adaptation if it's done right, not sure Lena is up to the job though. Dance with Dragons, on the other hand...

I just thought about how impossibly difficult it is going to be to keep making compelling television with what is coming up in the book.

<AFFC, ADWD>
We've still got ages of Theon torture to go, and as Reek... and ages to go with Dany just pretty much languishes in one place for an eternity. And ages where Brienne goes 'have you seen a maid, yay tall, blah blah blah', which while I respected as decent bits of world-building exercises, makes for mind-numbing television when stacked back-to-back, as a lot of this inevitably will be... even as they cross the books together for TV. Gonna be a rough few seasons there.

devilhawk

Now, now.
AFFC&ADWD
Let's not rewrite history now. Brienne's chapters were dreadful. The only reason they beat Dany's is because at least you can read the characters' names.
I would agree they are the two worst. But the lore and world building gained in AFfC
Brienne's makes them slightly better. I just don't care about Essos as much. Outside of Valaryian history, of course.

They're not talking about Olenna that way either and they compared her to Viserys. The fact is she's you and inexperienced whereas Tywin effectively ruled the seven kingdoms for years.

From the other thread, people are reminding me of my hopes for Sansa back in the day:
I wished she had stayed in King's Landing, ahhh! Jamie would have gotten there, he'd have 'returned' Sansa. Or done his best. Tyrion could have gone along, even. Dissolved the marriage. But no, she had to be a hater. I understand why she couldn't trust Tyrion, but damn, he was the nicest person to her. Ever.

devilhawk

Regarding Jaime and his hand, does anyone else think
Bronn is going to replace Payne as his travelling companion/sparring partner?
i don't. I think they have a real opportunity to expand on his small story. AFfC
His single combat duel and take over of Stokeworth could be done pretty well. Though it also could easily be cut if they take him on Jamie's Riverrun mission.

But his wife doesn't exist in the show. So I don't know.

I love AFFC. Can't wait to see that adaptation if it's done right, not sure Lena is up to the job though. Dance with Dragons, on the other hand...

I just thought about how impossibly difficult it is going to be to keep making compelling television with what is coming up in the book.

<AFFC, ADWD>
We've still got ages of Theon torture to go, and as Reek... and ages to go with Dany just pretty much languishes in one place for an eternity. And ages where Brienne goes 'have you seen a maid, yay tall, blah blah blah', which while I respected as decent bits of world-building exercises, makes for mind-numbing television when stacked back-to-back, as a lot of this inevitably will be... even as they cross the books together for TV. Gonna be a rough few seasons there.

Focus on the north. The Northern storyline in ADWD is some of the best writing in the entire series.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
They're not talking about Olenna that way either and they compared her to Viserys. The fact is she's you and inexperienced whereas Tywin effectively ruled the seven kingdoms for years.

It's also important to note that Dany is considered one of the "heroes", while the Lannisters, being against the Starks, are seen as "villains". It's not that exciting when everything is stacked in favour of the good guys like they are with Dany, while with Tywin, him being a charming baddie, it's more acceptable for him to have an advantage, because it's interesting to see if and/or when the heroes overcome him as an obstacle.

beril

[ADWD]
Part of the tragedy, and what makes Catelyn Stoneheart, is her thinking all her children are dead except for Sansa, who is married to Lannisters. I don't see how knowing Bran and Rickon are alive could be a bad thing for her.

In the show she never got the news about Bran and Rickons execution to begin with though. That's one of the strangest and most pointless changes for me. It just seems weird to have people believe they might still be alive, and it makes the Catelyns and Robbs decisions rather questionable.

From the other thread, people are reminding me of my hopes for Sansa back in the day:
I wished she had stayed in King's Landing, ahhh! Jamie would have gotten there, he'd have 'returned' Sansa. Or done his best. Tyrion could have gone along, even. Dissolved the marriage. But no, she had to be a hater. I understand why she couldn't trust Tyrion, but damn, he was the nicest person to her. Ever.

Didn't she escape right after Joffrey's wedding (before Jaime got there)? Tyrion was powerless at that point and she was accused of killing Joffrey (along with Tyrion).

Also I was a bit disappointed by the bear pit scene, but the fact that so many show viewers are now saying they love Jaime puts a huge smile on my face.

Brashnir

In the show she never got the news about Bran and Rickons execution to begin with though. That's one of the strangest and most pointless changes for me. It just seems weird to have people believe they might still be alive, and it makes the Catelyns and Robbs decisions rather questionable.

While the scene leaves open the possibility that they might be alive, After Robb says as much, Cat responds by asking him if they have received any word or ransom demands. When Robb makes it clear that they haven't, You can see that Cat assumes they're dead.

Pkaz01

Arya and major ASOS spoilers
I just realized they ruined the Arya cliffhanger in the red wedding, everyone will know she is just fine because of the Mel prophecy and the fact that she hasnt done shit yet

Brashnir

I just realized they ruined the Arya cliffhanger in the red wedding, everyone will know she is just fine because of the Mel prophecy and the fact that she hasnt done shit yet

eh, people are already pretty mistrustful of Melissandre, and it's not like she's never been wrong

I know that that scene was written like a cliffhanger but (ASOS)
I never believed for a second that she was dead

You can do stuff like that when you're writing from a specific perspective in a book but it's a TV show, you can't structure it that way.

-griffy-

Banned

There's no conceivable way they do that cliffhanger that doesn't lead people to believe she's not dead anyways.

Ikael

I was looking through the other thread, and I have to say, I think it's weird when you have people praise Tywin for exerting his dominance over everyone and being a "boss", but complain about Daenerys and saying she needs to be brought down a notch.

Tywin is a boss by the virtue of verbal smackdown and political maneouvering. You never see him openly treating anyone, he is more of a "well, you have made your choice, now face the consequences" type of guy. Daenerys it is like a female versión of Stannis: "you will bend the knee or be destroyed". Not to mention that dominance over random slaver #3 is not even half as entertaining as dominance over King piece of shit Joffrey, know it all Olena or Cersei the female black hadder, period. Different strokes for different folks, I guess

I wonder how can anyone dislike Daenerys boss mode, though. To hell with people's uneasiness of watching women in positions of power, Danerys being all stormborning is the hottest thing ever.

I am more and more leaning toward the Talisa is a spy theory.

The letter

The guy who created the Valyrian language had this to say about the letter: http://www.dothraki.com/2013/05/gryves-se-rina-litse/

"Regarding the letter, the text of it was written by Cat Taylor (Dave and Dan’s assistant) and translated by me. The shot of it is quite pretty; the art department did an awesome job! Ideally it should be in Valyrian glyphs, but I guess it didn’t seem worthwhile to create an entire writing system for what ultimately is kind of a throwaway shot. Though I do have the text of it (in both English and High Valyrian, which is what it’s written in), I don’t think I should put it up right now. I’ll put it up when the season’s done with, but there’s been a lot of creativity amongst fans regarding Talisa, and so I think this should remain a mystery for the time being. It isn’t gibberish, though, I can assure you."

Him and a bunch of people are discussed the letter in Latin to avoid spoilers.
But the fact they are that coy about the contents of the letter speaks volumes.

Didn't she escape right after Joffrey's wedding (before Jaime got there)? Tyrion was powerless at that point and she was accused of killing Joffrey (along with Tyrion).

Also I was a bit disappointed by the bear pit scene, but the fact that so many show viewers are now saying they love Jaime puts a huge smile on my face.

Yeah, I might be misremembering.
For some reason I was remembering Jamie as showing up before the wedding. Which now that I think about it, would be dumb. And ahhhh the bear pit! I WAS SO HYPED. Now I am bitter, but yes, people saying they love Jamie now is awesome. JAMIE IS A BOSS AND A HERO REPRESENT.

dubq

You're projecting. This show is filled with characters sleeping around but a gay guy has one casual encounter after his boyfriend dies and you're throwing a fit.

ETA: If he starts banging a pile of dudes I'll be right there with you complaining about. But we aren't there yet.
Honestly. Find a post where VsRobot isn't throwing a fit about something and I will be shocked.

Atsumi

I know that that scene was written like a cliffhanger but (ASOS)
I never believed for a second that she was dead

You can do stuff like that when you're writing from a specific perspective in a book but it's a TV show, you can't structure it that way.

I'm imagining [ASOS]
The Hound smacking her in the head, then dragging her off by the leg like a cartoon caveman.

Brashnir

I'm imagining [ASOS]
The Hound smacking her in the head, then dragging her off by the leg like a cartoon caveman.

I'm imagining a shot approaching Arya from behind. She turns to face the camera, and it cuts to a shot of the Hound approaching the camera and bringing an axe down followed by a [crack] and a black screen. roll credits.

scosher

Some thoughts:

- I thought Theon's scene was better than the last (and not just for the eye candy), but because of the implications of his castration. It parallels Jaime's storyline in that way. However, the problem is that it was just one torture scene too many. They should've trimmed out some of the earlier fat.

- Shae remains the worst character on the show. Probably the worst book to screen adaptation in the entire series. Book Shae may have been pretty one-dimensional, but at least her constant simpering and fawning to Tyrion served a purpose: ASOS spoiler
You, like Tyrion, were unsure whether she did in fact love her "Giant of Lannister" or was just doing what she was paid to do. Her eventual betrayal was not really a betrayal, but Tyrion realizing that he had been deluding himself of the relationship all along. Show Shae is missing all of that internal conflict in Tyrion

- I am still interested in where the show is going with Gendry though. I like this change.

- Best scene of the episode: Osha complaining about doing all the chores. <beat> Hodor: Hodor.

- edit: Also, some of Sansa's scenes are beginning to be a bit groan-worthy. She's not a very good actor. I suppose it's a challenge of casting child actors whose parts develop over time and have to become more nuanced. You either luck out and get an actress like Sally Draper on Mad Men or crash out like Astor on Dexter.

Eidan

Hm, I have to disagree on that one aspect of the Tyrion/Shae relationship.

ASOS
Not once when reading the series did I ever suspect that Shae felt anything for Tyrion. In fact, his delusions only made him seem foolish, because he keeps acknowledging that Shae is just doing her job, while still fawning over her like she loves him.

cj_iwakura

Theon's torture next episode and a break this one might've prevented burn-out, but more of the torturer is fine by me. His actor is amazing.

I think Gendry will be used for ASOS/AFFC
the leeches. They definitely won't kill him off and Mel's line about him "making kings rise and fall" seems to hint that he will play some part in foreseeing the deaths of Robb, Joffrey and Balon. The leeches were an interesting thing to leave out so far and are suitably creepy of a device to sew more seeds of doubt in the audience before Melisandre and Stannis come to save the wall.

The next preview makes it seem a little obvious but that's what I've thought since the last week's episode.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

ASOS
Not once when reading the series did I ever suspect that Shae felt anything for Tyrion. In fact, his delusions only made him seem foolish, because he keeps acknowledging that Shae is just doing his job, while still fawning over her like she loves him.
I agree with this. I didn't think [ASoS]
she'd go as far as betraying him the way she did, though. When she testified against him at the trial, I was not surprised, as I knew she didn't love Tyrion and was probably scared of Cersei and Tywin, but she went as far as thoroughly humiliating him. Ouch.

Trasher

I agree with this. I didn't think [ASoS]
she'd go as far as betraying him the way she did, though. When she testified against him at the trial, I was not surprised, as I knew she didn't love Tyrion and was probably scared of Cersei and Tywin, but she went as far as thoroughly humiliating him. Ouch.

Wow I forgot about part. Jeeze, I need to read these books a second time. Ugh.
What exactly does she say about him that humiliates him?

Eidan

Wow I forgot about part. Jeeze, I need to read these books a second time. Ugh.
What exactly does she say about him that humiliates him?

ASOS
She goes into detail about their sexual exploits, specifically her calling him her "Giant". People laugh, and Tyrion simmers with anger. It's going to make for good TV.

scosher

ASOS
Not once when reading the series did I ever suspect that Shae felt anything for Tyrion. In fact, his delusions only made him seem foolish, because he keeps acknowledging that Shae is just doing his job, while still fawning over her like she loves him.

True, but that doubt was still always there for Tyrion, even when he acknowledges it. I think he preferred to ignore that doubt and live with the fantasy that she loved him.

But regardless, it's still completely opposite of how show-Shae is playing out. It seems like the showrunners are trying to use Tyrion's marriage to Sansa as the reason for her betrayal, and that's a pretty crap adaptation.

Eidan

True, but that doubt was still always there for Tyrion, even when he acknowledges it. I think he preferred to ignore that doubt and live with the fantasy that she loved him.

But regardless, it's still completely opposite of how show-Shae is playing out. It seems like the showrunners are trying to use Tyrion's marriage to Sansa as the reason for her betrayal, and that's a pretty crap adaptation.

ASOS
I've gotten into this with other earlier in the thread, but I have no problem with that change. I actually think it's an improvement over the source material.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Regarding Theon...
I really wish they had kept him off the entire season. Screw keeping the actor on board, you tell his agent that he can either come back in a year, or that they'll just recast him. If they get the actor back, fine, show the torture, if not, do the nice mind screw with the audience and introduce it old, beaten man in season 4 or 5.

Eidan

Regarding Theon...
I really wish they had kept him off the entire season. Screw keeping the actor on board, you tell his agent that he can either come back in a year, or that they'll just recast him. If they get the actor back, fine, show the torture, if not, do the nice mind screw with the audience and introduce it old, beaten man in season 4 or 5.

ASOS
Recast? Bleh. That would have been awful. They made the right choice in having him come back this season, though I think his story would have benefited from spacing out the scenes more, and having the escape last longer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS
Recast? Bleh. That would have been awful. They made the right choice in having him come back this season, though I think his story would have benefited from spacing out the scenes more, and having the escape last longer.

He's one character that a recast could work with though. He's supposed to look totally different after this.

Eidan

He's one character that a recast could work with though. He's supposed to look totally different after this.

Nope. Would still be awful. ADWD
If you come back with a completely different actor, who doesn't even look like Theon, people will just question whether it is really supposed to be Theon. Recasting should always be avoided.

While the scene leaves open the possibility that they might be alive, After Robb says as much, Cat responds by asking him if they have received any word or ransom demands. When Robb makes it clear that they haven't, You can see that Cat assumes they're dead.

Yeah, that is backed up when she is talking to the Blackfish later and basically says flat out that she thinks Bran and Rickon are dead. Still don't understand why they structured that bit of news that way. We know that people at large suspect Rickon and Bran are dead, as I believe Tywin made mention of Greyjoy having killed Bran and Rickon in an earlier episode. So why the writers have kind of played coy with Robb and Cat being privy to that information is weird.

I am more and more leaning toward the Talisa is a spy theory.

The letter

The guy who created the Valyrian language had this to say about the letter: http://www.dothraki.com/2013/05/gryves-se-rina-litse/

"Regarding the letter, the text of it was written by Cat Taylor (Dave and Dan&#8217;s assistant) and translated by me. The shot of it is quite pretty; the art department did an awesome job! Ideally it should be in Valyrian glyphs, but I guess it didn&#8217;t seem worthwhile to create an entire writing system for what ultimately is kind of a throwaway shot. Though I do have the text of it (in both English and High Valyrian, which is what it&#8217;s written in), I don&#8217;t think I should put it up right now. I&#8217;ll put it up when the season&#8217;s done with, but there&#8217;s been a lot of creativity amongst fans regarding Talisa, and so I think this should remain a mystery for the time being. It isn&#8217;t gibberish, though, I can assure you."

Him and a bunch of people are discussed the letter in Latin to avoid spoilers.
But the fact they are that coy about the contents of the letter speaks volumes.

I don't know... [Show speculation]
It could be that they see nerds like us on forums speculating that Talisa is a spy when indeed she isn't and they don't want to ruin that. Or that she is indeed a spy and don't want to ruin it.

[ADwD/Series]
No, recasts are bad. I always imagine that Reek Theon looks like Theon in one of those faces of meth posters or something. You can still sort of tell its the same guy but he's missing teeth, he's aged prematurely, his hair is all falling out and gone white, he's missing fingers and toes and mentally he is just a completely tortured soul with major, major identity issues. No offense to Alfie Allen but he's not exactly the most handsome guy in the world so if he lost a little weight and had a little makeup here and there, I think he could look like Reek pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom