• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loofy

I liked AFFC aswell, I think it was the most well written out of all the books. I know all the chapters are written in someones viewpoint but this one really put you in the characters shoes.

Subitai

Yup AFFC was underrated, but still a letdown compared to ASoS. Anyway, what appealed the most to me in a AFFC was
the decent of Cersei juxtaposed against the ascents of Sansa/Arya. Especially Sansa. Also the new stuff with the Greyjoys and Martells was pretty sweet too. I wish GRRM had found a way to write more them into earlier books.

ZaCH3000

ADWD
Yeah, the material in the North was great. Jon could have used one or two less chapters, but his chapter where he kills Janos Slynt is probably my favorite in the series. Theon's chapters were altogether the best storyline in the book. Davos's chapters were pretty good, but his story ended way too soon.

The Essos stuff was all around pretty bad though. Outside one or two moments, Dany's chapters were dreadful. Tyrion's chapters were frustrating. Just nothing to good going on out there.

Jon's story line was fantastic overall. It would have been tied for my favorite had it not been for the
final revelation in the last chapter.

Levi

Banned
Warms my heart to see all this Feast love. :)

Anyone keen to revisit Feast, check this out: http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

Feast and Dance, merged into one mega book! Don't do it as a first time reader-- highly recommended for a reread. There are tons of thematic parallels between the two novels that really jump out at you reading it this way.

Affc/adwd
Dany, Cersei and Jon, all three new to ruling. The Martells/Manderlys both revealed to be plotting secret vengeance. Tyrion/Brienne both traveling through different lands. Sansa training to play the game, Arya training as an assassin. Etc.

Plus Feast and Dance will be merged when portrayed on the show, this order gives us an idea on how they might do it.

Anyone keen to revisit Feast, check this out: http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

Feast and Dance, merged into one mega book! Don't do it as a first time reader-- highly recommended for a reread. There are tons of thematic parallels between the two novels that really jump out at you reading it this way.

Affc/adwd
Dany, Cersei and Jon, all three new to ruling. The Martells/Manderlys both revealed to be plotting secret vengeance. Tyrion/Brienne both traveling through different lands. Etc.

Anyone read Feast and Dance that way? How was it?

I'm about to finish ASOS on a sort of selective reread of content for this and next season of the show, and I think I'll just reread AFFC and ADWD after that.

Highly recommended, I think thematically it's a much better read. If only GRRM could have included the battle of Mereen and battle of Winterfell, then it would have equaled ASOS.

Lkr

i like affc for what it is, but i have to chug through it. it isn't like asos where i couldn't put it down because of all the twists and turns

just finished AFFC, I liked it didn't like it as much as some of the other ones. It sorta lacked focus.

And didn't really have a few major events that the plots built up to and centered around, like the Kings' deaths in the last book.

I realize that might be because it's really a book split into two, but it feels like there was some missed potential.

All the same I did enjoy the characters and the attention you could give to characters we probably wouldn't have been able to enjoy as much if it was one large tome.

I'll be starting ADWD Tomorrow most likely!

exYle

It's easier to enjoy FfC & DwD if you accept it as Game of Thrones 2 and Clash of Kings 2, respectively. They're both very clearly building up to an explosive conclusion in WoW.

Pkaz01

Series spoilers
One thing I hope they make a point of in the books is how the different legacy's of Tywin and Ned really shape up and what people think of them now that they are both gone, Dance and Feast have a lot of interesting scenes where people reflect on the two on one hand you have entire houses plotting revenge on the lannisters because of tywin, on the other you have people going to war for no reason other than to save someone who they think is ned starks daughter, or sending a smuggler just to get a son of ned to be there liege lord again. I loved the contrasting legacies they left behind and with Tywin's speech in season 2 I really want them to show how his legacy really ended

I'm going to have to spoiler this comment from the non-book thread. [Series]
Edit: Am looking at the Essos map now, apparently there is a Mereen city that is a sister city to Yunkai and Astapor that also does slavery. Don't tell me she'll try and attack and free this place too. And just above them is the Dothraki Sea. I have a feeling she'll try to get revenge on the guys that cut the head of one of her servants she sent out for help. I bet those Dothraki will shit their pants when the Khaleesi returns, with 3 huge dragons, 8000+ unsullied warriors, etc.

Although that'd be dumb. We've been hearing forever, how she doesn't have the money for ships, doesn't have the soldiers to retake Westeros. And now that she's given it all, she wants to go on some other crusade. I have a feeling we won't see Daenarys in Westeros until the very end when her dragons probably fight the white walkers or something. And I get it, but it sucks. I've been waiting to see Joffrey, Stannis, and Tywin shit their pants when she's in front of them with dragons. I want to see the sigil of House Targaeryan fly somewhere in Westeros soon.
That poor, sweet innocent. :(

Just watched the last episode. Pretty good for character development, but outside of that it was kind of boring.

That blonde in Theon's scene was stacked.

Lirlond

I'm going to have to spoiler this comment from the non-book thread. [Series]

That poor, sweet innocent. :(

ASOS
I think the slave walk will make Dany's taking of Meereen justified, and the Mysah payoff is too good to dislike the taking of Meereen, it's the shit after that sucks lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Quick question that came up when I watched ep7 with a fellow book reader [ASOS]
In the book, wasn't Robb also supposed to marry a Frey along with Edmure? In the show it seems he's just tagging along and rather enjoying Edmure's misery, his sections don't quite have the same feel of impending doom they had.

Also, Oona's butt was great.

Dany

Banned
Generally speaking I liked DWD more so than AFFC. That is not to say that I don't grow to like the characters in AFFC.

Massa

In the book, wasn't Robb also supposed to marry a Frey along with Edmure? In the show it seems he's just tagging along and rather enjoying Edmure's misery, his sections don't quite have the same feel of impending doom they had.

Also, Oona's butt was great.

Robb is already married.

AFFC is basically The Wire season 2 of Thrones. The first time through the book its really jarring, but then later on (especially on a reread) you start to realize how necessary it is in terms of the greater story. Plus AFFC
Cersei's chapters are awesome, and even though Brienne's are kind of boring, one of them has probably one of the greatest dialogues of the entire series

I haven't read that alternate reading order yet, but I'm in the middle of ASOS right now, after that i'm going to read Dunk & Egg 2 and 3 and then maybe read that instead of AFFC/ADWD by themselves. Third time reading through the series so I guess i'll probably try it out that way

I've done all the books via audio book (I'm on my reread.. well listen, of GoT) so this might actually work for me to renumber the chapters in the order listed on the website. I'll have to be careful about not mixing them up though, but I was hoping something like this existed as the two overlaid sounded like it would be a great way to read them.

Eidan

In regards to AFFC
I feel like Brienne and Sam's stories could have been greatly abbreviated. Especially Sam's. But I hate Sam.

CassSept

In regards to AFFC
I feel like Brienne and Sam's stories could have been greatly abbreviated. Especially Sam's. But I hate Sam.

But dude, AFFC/ADWD
how would we get the fat pink mast then! I agree with Brienne though, her first few chapters are a total drag. Though they are still not as useless as half the chapters of Daenerys or Quentyn

damn poor Theon. I can't help but to feel even more sorry for him then I already did in the books.

the crazy thing is he's not that bad of a person. His biggest mistake was allowing his fellow dingle berry from the Iron Islands to kill those orphans.. which dont get me wrong is terrible but if everyone was destroyed for murder in this series we'd have no characters.

He was forced with an impossible decision between his family and the starks.. and executing Rodrick (on the show) was just part of war.

really hope he can achieve full redemption and not completely loss himself or die.

I'm wondering whether the show has addressed [ACoK/ASoS/Series spoilers]
Jorah's backstory with his ex-wife yet? Doesn't he tell Dany that in ACoK before they get to Qarth? But I don't think they've touched on that in the show as of yet.

I'm also wondering how this season will handle [ASoS/ADwD]
Sam the Slayer, Coldhands and then the likes of Edd and Grenn getting back to the Wall. In the books, when Jon gets back to the Wall, Edd and Grenn know that Sam killed the Other with the drgaonglass and tell Jon that. Yet in the show they're split up.

For that matter, I'm wondering what they're going to do with Bran's storyline. How much longer can they drag that on? He has to get to Queenscrown and then he's basically at the Wall where he'll meet Sam and Gilly. But beyond that we're already in ADwD territory and even there he doesn't have much to do- fight some Wights and meet the Children of the Forest and Bloodraven. I'm guessing they'll have Osha split up with Rickon once they get to the Wall, based on her story last episode. But it seems like they're running low on Bran material soon unless they pad out his journey or they do a bunch of stuff with flashbacks once he becomes Tree Bran.

ASOS
That's the entire point of the Red Wedding. Robb was supposed to marry a Frey but stupidly wed Jeyne/Talisa instead. As Catelyn warns him, Walder Frey doesn't take something like that lightly and it became a reason for him to join with the Lannisters and Boltons to get rid of the Starks and their bannermen.

They are doing a pretty good job in the show of portraying Robb as naive as he is. He simply doesn't comprehend the weight of his betrayal against the Freys. Granted, if they weren't fucking nuts then Edmure would be good enough consolation and Catelyn wouldn't have reason to worry so much.

Altazor

But dude, AFFC/ADWD
how would we get the fat pink mast then! I agree with Brienne though, her first few chapters are a total drag. Though they are still not as useless as half the chapters of Daenerys or Quentyn

But [ADWD]
Quentyn's are worth it JUST because of the stupidity in believing he, of all people, could tame a dragon and his delayed reaction at being burned alive: "oh". Agreed with Daenerys' chapters though. They seem to drag... on and on. (terrible pun intended).

Dysun

In regards to AFFC

I really dreaded seeing either name pop up on my Kindle when I read AFFC.

Jaime/Cersei had great chapters in AFFC, honestly can't remember much else about the book. It's quite forgettable and my least favorite of the 5, maybe on par with CoK.

CassSept

This thread is ridiculous already. Well, onto another spoiler bar.

But [ADWD]
Quentyn's are worth it JUST because of the stupidity in believing he, of all people, could tame a dragon and his delayed reaction at being burned alive: "oh". Agreed with Daenerys' chapters though. They seem to drag... on and on. (terrible pun intended).

[ADWD]
Quentyn's final chapter is fine, but he would had been just as fine with only the final one, as a one-off. The previous two were a waste and his POV in general just feels like a by-product of GRRM trying to cut the Meereeneeseesee Knoot. I can't remember a single thing about his previous chapters except that well, he was sailing to Meereen, right?

Brienne's chapter at Duskendale is still the worst, WORST thing about the series. It took me 5 tries and half a year to get through her trudging around Duskendale for no reason with nothing happening in which was I believe one of the longest, if not even THE longest chapter of the series. It was painful.

This thread is ridiculous already. Well, onto another spoiler bar.

[ADWD]
Quentyn's final chapter is fine, but he would had been just as fine with only the final one, as a one-off. The previous two were a waste and his POV in general just feels like a by-product of GRRM trying to cut the Meereeneeseesee Knoot. I can't remember a single thing about his previous chapters except that well, he was sailing to Meereen, right?

Brienne's chapter at Duskendale is still the worst, WORST thing about the series. It took me 5 tries and half a year to get through her trudging around Duskendale for no reason with nothing happening in which was I believe one of the longest, if not even THE longest chapter of the series. It was painful.

Spoilers, I guess, although not really
If I ever re-read feast I might just miss her chapters. They made the entire book feel so slow and dull even though a lot of the rest of it was actually interesting but slow. I mean Cersie and Jamie had some good stuff and I really liked the dude that tried to tame a dragon. Loved how that ended.. Everytime a Brianne chapter hit again I sigh'd. Just nothing happens. At all.

I really like DwD, even Dannys stuff for the most part.

hF5eMoP.gif

Guess it had to stop somewhere =/ Hopefully it will go back to picking up steam when the plot building starts paying off.
Overall trajectory, which is great, is more important than the week-by-week ups and downs. Also, HBO is more interested in overall numbers across all platforms and airings rather than just the first airing, though it is a decent barometer as to how ratings are moving along.

Tacitus_

I think we can discuss this here more properly. The other thread had a link saying that they were aiming for seven seasons. Do you think it's possible? They could snip a shitload of material from food descriptions and travel monologues - maybe move some of the starting scenes from AFFC/ADWD to S4 end, but I think it would still end up being an ugly crunch that would leave some or all plotlines to be very rushed.

I think we can discuss this here more properly. The other thread had a link saying that they were aiming for seven seasons. Do you think it's possible? They could snip a shitload of material from food descriptions and travel monologues - maybe move some of the starting scenes from AFFC/ADWD to S4 end, but I think it would still end up being an ugly crunch that would leave some or all plotlines to be very rushed.

I'd assume they'd start AFFC/ADWD next season unless they stretch the hell out of the last third or so of ASOS, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as that's some of the best material in the series. Depending on how they do things AFFC/ADWD could be wrapped by the end of season 5. Which would leave a season each for TWOW and ADOS. I don't expect those books to be short, and I expect them to be crammed with important material. So one season each does seem like it would be a bit of a rush. But then, the writers know more about what's coming in those books than we do, and may just gut the hell out of the "inconsequential" stuff and rush to the finish line.

It's doable, but if they can't adequately do ACOK in 1 season, I fear for the future if they tried to wrap things up in 7 seasons.

GRRM: Ratings Killer

If he kills the show, it can't catch up with him.

dubq

Well it was Mother's Day. I'd expect a drop.

This is so true. Normally I watch the first airing and then Veep.. take a half hour break and then watch the second airing. But since this weekend was Mo's Day, I didn't even get home until Veep was just ending at 10:30pm.. It's really a good thing they are taking Memorial Day off this year, as I can only imagine how much of a dip they would have compared to last year.

I'd rather see 8 seasons if they're already thinking of an end point. 7 would be way too much of a crunch.

Subitai

Well it was Mother's Day. I'd expect a drop.
I feel like it is 2 weeks in a row w/ weaker endings. Unfortunately, next week will probably go down too. The question is will next week have an ending that will bring everyone back in time for week 9.

-griffy-

Banned

It would have to be longer, no? Season 4 only gets through book 3, and maybe a bit of AFFC/ADWD. ADWD and AFFC combined I have to imagine would take 1.5 seasons at the least, more likely two seasons, and book 6 and 7 one season each as well. So that's 7.5 or 8 seasons at a minimum, without knowing exactly how long book 6 and 7 are going to end up.

That's assuming HBO doesn't cancel it, but if they don't then it would have to be 7 seasons at an absolute minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom