• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
He showed him who's really the boss - Joffrey's still the king and you can't just outright scold the king, no matter how much he may deserve it. That part where Tywin went up the stairs to tower over him was so cool tho.
That was a great scene. Tywin does what Cerseidon't.

For all the book reading whining we do, the show does have some great scenes/interactions we never got in the series.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Something that just occurred to me. [ASoS]
What will happen to Jaime now? He only returns to King's Landing after Joffrey dies, but we know that won't be until well into season 4. Will they make him arrive early and possibly interact with Joffrey (not sure I'd like that.... I want his desperate desire for Cersei, whom he's finally reunited with, to overcome his sense as he fucks her on the altar of Joffrey's coffin... xD yeah I know it's creepy but it's a powerful and meaningful scene IMO), or will NCW not do much for a while? Or will they invent zany adventures with Brienne on the Kingsroad? (Hell, I'd watch that. XD) In the book, there are no Jaime chapters between the bear pit scene, and his return to King's Landing after Joffrey's dead. The RW and Joff's wedding both happen between these two Jaime chapters. Wonder what they'll do with him...

-griffy-

Banned
And was mirrored in the very next scene with Dany, where she made the Yunkish noble sit in that little chair beneath her, and her dragons made him recoil when he went to stand up.

Good observation, hadn't connected the staging of the two scenes, but it's an obvious comparison of the two.

Eidan

What will happen to Jaime now? He only returns to King's Landing after Joffrey dies, but we know that won't be until well into season 4. Will they make him arrive early and possibly interact with Joffrey (not sure I'd like that.... I want his desperate desire for Cersei, whom he's finally reunited with, to overcome his sense as he fucks her on the altar of Joffrey's coffin... xD yeah I know it's creepy but it's a powerful and meaningful scene IMO), or will NCW not do much for a while? Or will they invent zany adventures with Brienne on the Kingsroad? (Hell, I'd watch that. XD) In the book, there are no Jaime chapters between the bear pit scene, and his return to King's Landing after Joffrey's dead. The RW and Joff's wedding both happen between these two Jaime chapters. Wonder what they'll do with him...

ASOS/Season 4 Speculation
GRRM is writing episode 2 of Season 4. I was under the impression that would be Joffrey's wedding.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS/Season 4 Speculation
GRRM is writing episode 2 of Season 4. I was under the impression that would be Joffrey's wedding.
[ASoS]/S4 speculation
Interesting. That soon? They need to introduce the Martells and have Oberyn come to court, too, all before Jaime returns to KL.

Trasher

Oh yeah...I didn't realize/remember that.

ASoS
I guess it doesn't really hurt anything if he does arrive before Joff's death though? I don't know how it would hurt anything if it does happen that way. Maybe they will include a scene with the two together...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

ASOS
Easy, they just make him arrive at King's Landing before wedding. The change is immaterial and/or easily written around.

If I had to speculate, he'll reach King's Landing at the end of the season and Brienne will get locked up thanks to Loras, so she ends the season in a dungeon as a bit of a cliffhanger. Whether he attends the wedding or not in Season 4, I'm not sure. I'm not sure I recall enough to say what it would change, either.

Levi

Banned
There's no difference the way you're presenting it. You're making the leap in your own mind. It's not in the show.

It is a gay character being portrayed as promiscuous. What an original and brave choice the show made. Want House Tyrrell secrets? Lure Loras with some casual cock!

I'm also in awe that they came up with the idea to have the only gay character in the show monologue about fashion in a campy way! Truly the writers are breaking new ground with on-screen portrayals of gay characters.

The books choice to be subtle and portray Loras first and foremost as a great knight and LOYAL seems regressive in comparison. Why have a character who just happens to be gay when you can make his homosexuality the centerpiece of his entire characterization?

He showed him who's really the boss - Joffrey's still the king and you can't just outright scold the king, no matter how much he may deserve it. That part where Tywin went up the stairs to tower over him was so cool tho.

Agreed, and I was not sure if he was going to turn around and say your grace before leaving.

Perhaps if he spent more time with Joff, he would have turned out to be a better King.

neoism

Well, the character in the show is different from the character in the books. He is a Bolton soldier now, but he is a sellsword that changes allegiance from Lannister to Stark in the books.
He eventually gets tortured to death while the Lannisters recapture Harrenhal from him.

awesome thanks

No, it's kind of crucial that
Jaime gets there after the PW, because if he were present he'd never allow Tyrion to basically get railroaded.

Jobiensis

And Littlefinger. He did promise those gold cloaks to Ned, and ended up using them against Ned. Heh. But yeah Sansa didn't betray Ned.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Arya and Sansa didn't escape the city was because Sansa told Cersei of her father's plans for them to return to Winterfell. While Ned pretty much sealed his fate before this, I would call telling an enemy of your family about your family's plans a betrayal.

Jaime gets there after the PW, because if he were present he'd never allow Tyrion to basically get railroaded.

So what are they going to have Jaime/Brienne do in that time frame? There's 3 episodes left in the season and the PW likely won't happen well into the 4th season.

Zabka

It is a gay character being portrayed as promiscuous. What an original and brave choice the show made. Want House Tyrrell secrets? Lure Loras with some casual cock!

You're projecting. This show is filled with characters sleeping around but a gay guy has one casual encounter after his boyfriend dies and you're throwing a fit.

ETA: If he starts banging a pile of dudes I'll be right there with you complaining about. But we aren't there yet.

So what are they going to have Jaime/Brienne do in that time frame? There's 3 episodes left in the season and the PW likely won't happen well into the 4th season.

PW will happen probably by Ep 2 next year, there are plenty of other plot threads to keep the viewer's attention between now and then.

Levi

Banned
You're projecting. This show is filled with characters sleeping around but a gay guy has one casual encounter after his boyfriend dies and you're throwing a fit.

The only point is that book Loras would never do that. He wouldn't leak Tyrell secrets and he wouldn't fuck some stranger while grieving for Renly. I needed an example of character assassination and he came to mind.

I like show Loras. But he's not book Loras.

The only point is that book Loras would never do that. He wouldn't leak Tyrell secrets and he wouldn't fuck some stranger while grieving for Renly. I needed an example of character assassination and he came to mind.

I like show Loras. But he's not book Loras.

It also really doesn't help that Loras' actor is one of the worst in the show.

Quidam

ASOS/upcoming show
Oh fuck, they're gonna tell Catelyn that Bran and Rickon are alive right before they kill her, aren't they? That extra gut punch right before throat slit.

I think this is a good shout. People seem to think the [ADWD]
Ramsay reveal is going to happen at the Red Wedding. How good would it be if he turns up and says he's been torturing Theon and has got him to admit that Bran and Rickon are alive. Then, we spend the rest of the episode thinking that this torturer, although malicious, is on the Stark's side, and we see a celebration in full swing with a happy Catelyn. And then, well, shit goes down...

Trasher

So what big events are left in this season then?

ASoS
I imagine Sansa/Tyrion and Sam killing the white walker will be this next episode (correct me if I'm wrong)? RW will be pretty much the entire 9th episode? And then the tenth episode will be Ygritte's death/Sansa escaping with Littlefinger/Coldhands intro/Jorah being dismissed/Lady Stoneheart?

Or will they keep Sansa around King's Landing until Joff's wedding?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I think this is a good shout. People seem to think the [ADWD]
Ramsay reveal is going to happen at the Red Wedding. How good would it be if he turns up and says he's been torturing Theon and has got him to admit that Bran and Rickon are alive. Then, we spend the rest of the episode thinking that this torturer, although malicious, is on the Stark's side, and we see a celebration in full swing with a happy Catelyn. And then, well, shit goes down...

[ADWD]
Part of the tragedy, and what makes Catelyn Stoneheart, is her thinking all her children are dead except for Sansa, who is married to Lannisters. I don't see how knowing Bran and Rickon are alive could be a bad thing for her.

devilhawk

ASoS
I imagine Sansa/Tyrion and Sam killing the white walker will be this next episode (correct me if I'm wrong)? RW will be pretty much the entire 9th episode? And then the tenth episode will be Ygritte's death/Sansa escaping with Littlefinger/Coldhands intro/Jorah being dismissed/Lady Stoneheart?
ASoS
I think we see Queenscrown but not the attack on Castle Black from the South. So the big event will be Jon escaping and making it to Castle Black with help of Bran. I think the Osha complaining scene was to set up the Rikkon/Bran split. Jorah won't be set off yet. He has to help take Mereen, which will be next year. Sansa will leave next year too, during the PW. I bet they reintroduce Dontos as well.

Eidan

ASoS

Or will they keep Sansa around King's Landing until Joff's wedding?

ASOS
Why have Sansa leave before the wedding? The fact that she is there and then disappears is one of the reasons she becomes a chief suspect.

Trasher

ASoS
I think we see Queenscrown but not the attack on Castle Black from the South. So the big event will be Jon escaping and making it to Castle Black with help of Bran. I think the Osha complaining scene was to set up the Rikkon/Bran split. Jorah won't be set off yet. He has to help take Mereen, which will be next year. Sansa will leave next year too, during the PW. I bet they reintroduce Dontos as well.

I feel like they could possibly lump the attacks on Castle Black all into one event rather than separating the first attack within Castle Black and the one outside the wall with Mance. I just don't see them handling another huge battle on that scale for very long.

ASOS
Why have Sansa leave before the wedding? The fact that she is there and then disappears is one of the reasons she becomes a chief suspect.

Yeah you are right. It just seems like they have been planting the seeds for a while now, and I felt like there might be a payoff soon there. Wouldn't make much sense if they sent her before the wedding.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I feel like they could possibly lump the attacks on Castle Black all into one event rather than separating the first attack within Castle Black and the one outside the wall with Mance. I just don't see them handling another huge battle on that scale for very long.

ASOS
I still think the first small skirmish at Castle Black where Ygritte was killed might be skipped altogether. They could just have Jon and Summer kill the dozen or so wildlings at Queenscrown (they could even slip in Ghost to the fight as well), and then have Jon race back to Castle Black just in time to warn them of Mance's attack and to prepare for the battle. How they do that will be important for me. People complain abotu how they've handled Jon, but I really don't think the character was all that interesting before he stepped up as a leader in defense of the Wall. I liked the stuff before they left the wall initially, with him struggling against his desire to join Robb, but that was about it.

devilhawk

Yeah you are right. It just seems like they have been planting the seeds for a while now, and I felt like there might be a payoff soon there. Wouldn't make much sense if they sent her before the wedding.

Sure, they could. But it won't come until much later in the 4th season then. Remember, ASoS
Stannis has to be able to get there. Right now he is nowhere close.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

ASOS
He doesn't have to attend it.

Loofy

lol what?

I don't even get how people can come to that conclusion. Sansa did not betray Ned. Ned betrayed Ned.
When she told cersei about neds plans it was maybe 30% she thought she was saving her father, 70% she didnt want her wedding plans with joffrey ruined. Shes just a terrible person like her mother. Even in the book Im finding it very hard to feel sorry for the character.
ADWD
I hope arya assassinates her or something

Trasher

Sure, they could. But it won't come until much later in the 4th season then. Remember, ASoS
Stannis has to be able to get there. Right now he is nowhere close.

Yeah. My mind starts to hurt when I try to figure out how they are gonna manage those timelines.
I mean, we still have to wait for Melisandre to return to Dragonstone before they can even leave for the wall. So something has to happen fairly quick with this whole Gendry thing. It definitely seems like it would benefit them to have multiple attacks on the wall (ie multiple days), but knowing this show I see them just building up to another big battle for the end of season four. So I suppose there is plenty of time to work with in getting Stannis over there.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah. My mind starts to hurt when I try to figure out how they are gonna manage those timelines.
I mean, we still have to wait for Melisandre to return to Dragonstone before they can even leave for the wall. So something has to happen fairly quick with this whole Gendry thing. It definitely seems like it would benefit them to have multiple attacks on the wall (ie multiple days), but knowing this show I see them just building up to another big battle for the end of season four. So I suppose there is plenty of time to work with in getting Stannis over there.

use the first few episodes of season 4 to...
Build up Jon's leadership potential.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS
Easy, they just make him arrive at King's Landing before wedding. The change is immaterial and/or easily written around.
I disagree. It can be written around, but not easily. (See below)

ASOS
He doesn't have to attend it.
[ASoS]
The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard is in King's Landing, but is not present at the king's wedding? That makes no sense.

Not only is Last Hearth correct and it impacts Jaime and Tyrion's relationship, but there's a rather significant plot point about Jaime belittling his fellow Kingsguard members for letting Joffrey die. If Jaime is present and the king dies, then he's equally to blame. Maybe they'll cut that angle out completely, but I think it'd be a shame because it establishes his authority as Lord Commander, and his relationship with the other Kingsguards, quite strongly.

So as Last Hearth said, an important aspect of Jaime not being around is that Tyrion has no witnesses to stand for him at his trial. Jaime would never testify against Tyrion and would even testify in his favour. I just don't see how they could write this without it being all wrong and awkward. I just don't like it.

Eh. Maybe he will testify in favour of Tyrion and that's what will drive a wedge between Jaime and Cersei, instead of them just discussing that in the White Tower? I don't like it much, but I can't think of anything better at the moment. That said there's the issue of Jaime refusing Tywin's desire to leave the Kinsguard and become his heir, too.

I'd prefer if we didn't see Jaime (or if they used the sitting-around-a-campfire route à la Bran/Osha xD) for a few episodes, than mangle this story too much. Maybe they'll find a clever solution, but I can't think of one that I like right now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard is in King's Landing, but is not present at the king's wedding? That makes no sense.

Not only is Last Hearth correct and it impacts Jaime and Tyrion's relationship, but there's a rather significant plot point about Jaime belittling his fellow Kingsguard members for letting Joffrey die. If Jaime is present and the king dies, then he's equally to blame. Maybe they'll cut that angle out completely, but I think it'd be a shame because it establishes his authority as Lord Commander, and his relationship with the other Kingsguards, quite strongly.

So as Last Hearth said, an important aspect of Jaime not being around is that Tyrion has no witnesses to stand for him at his trial. Jaime would never testify against Tyrion and would even testify in his favour. I just don't see how they could write this without it being all wrong and awkward. I just don't like it.

I'd prefer if we didn't see Jaime (or if they used the sitting-around-a-campfire route à la Bran/Osha xD) for a few episodes, than mangle this story too much. Maybe they'll find a clever solution, but I can't think of one that I like right now.

But wait..
Series
Jamie IS in King's Landing for the Trial, isn't he? He gets back right after Joffreys death and him in Cersei have one last fuck in front of his corpse.

Angry Grimace

[ASoS]

Eh. Maybe he will testify in favour of Tyrion and that's what will drive a wedge between Jaime and Cersei, instead of them just discussing that in the White Tower? I don't like it much, but I can't think of anything better at the moment. That said there's the issue of Jaime refusing Tywin's desire to leave the Kinsguard and become his heir, too.

You're applying book rules to a TV show wherein the book rules don't necessarily exist. None of those have to occur.

Brashnir

[ASoS]

Series
a couple (more) campfire scenes with Qyburn are probably needed to solidify him as a significant character in future seasons as well

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
But wait..
Series
Jamie IS in King's Landing for the Trial, isn't he? He gets back right after Joffreys death and him in Cersei have one last fuck in front of his corpse.
You're right, he is. But he stands at the back of the room and no one knows he's there. It works because he wasn't present at the assassination so it's not like he can testify. If he was, it'd be very different.

Eidan

But wait..
Series

ASOS
Yep. It's one of the things that I always thought was weird. Jaime is present throughout Tyrion's trial and never once sees or speaks for him until the night before his execution. It made me really think Jaime didn't care about him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS
Yep. It's one of the things that I always thought was weird. Jaime is present throughout Tyrion's trial and never once sees or speaks for him until the night before his execution. It made me really think Jaime didn't care about him.
[ASoS]
He did care, but what could he do? He believed Tyrion was innocent and even tried to convince Cersei of that, but it only angered her. He told Brienne and others as much too, though no one thought he was right. He couldn't testify at the trial because he wasn't around when the assassination happened.

Angry Grimace

Well, of course they can change everything and ditch plot points and character developments. That doesn't mean I have to like it. :p

That's kind of my point. Its far more likely that they simply throw out the parts you're assuming are crucial than
they decide to simply make Jaime do nothing for the next 5 episodes covering 2 seasons. There simply isn't anything else Jaime has to do in between now and then that isn't straight up filler content.

Eidan

[ASoS]
He did care, but what could he do? He believed Tyrion was innocent and even tried to convince Cersei of that, but it only angered her. He told Brienne and others as much too, though no one thought he was right. He couldn't testify at the trial because he wasn't around when the assassination happened.

ASOS
I think the fact that he never once went to see him is what I thought was really strange.

calza

ASOS
I still think the first small skirmish at Castle Black where Ygritte was killed might be skipped altogether. They could just have Jon and Summer kill the dozen or so wildlings at Queenscrown (they could even slip in Ghost to the fight as well), and then have Jon race back to Castle Black just in time to warn them of Mance's attack and to prepare for the battle. How they do that will be important for me. People complain abotu how they've handled Jon, but I really don't think the character was all that interesting before he stepped up as a leader in defense of the Wall. I liked the stuff before they left the wall initially, with him struggling against his desire to join Robb, but that was about it.

so Jon kills all the important wildlings apart from Mance, Ghost jumps over the wall to get to Jon? Kills Ygritte himself? How does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom