• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

I'm afraid I won't be able to film my sister, but I was like "please, do text me during the episode".

She's all "I already know what happens so it won't shock me :)"

"Oh, but please still do text me".

:)

flyover

NOTE TO NON-BOOK READERS WHO HAVE STUMBLED INTO THIS THREAD:

Get out. Don't even read the non-spoiler text.

Just wanted to quote this for a new page. Most posters are good with the spoiler tags in this thread, but there are some who just either can't resist hinting at stuff, or are forgetting to tag stuff that hasn't yet been revealed to viewers. If you don't want to know what's to come, I recommend staying away from this thread at least until season's end. (Too bad, because overall, this is a great thread.)

Subitai

I'm afraid I won't be able to film my sister, but I was like "please, do text me during the episode".

You might need your own thread once all comes to pass.

Brashnir

It's probably for the best that you won't be within arm's reach.

Wait what? How did I miss this?

ACOK:

When she crawled out of bed, long moments later, she was alone. She found his cloak on the floor, twisted up tight, the white wool stained by blood and fire. The sky outside was darker by then, with only a few pale green ghosts dancing against the stars. A chill wind was blowing, banging the shutters. Sansa was cold. She shook out the torn cloak and huddled beneath it on the floor, shivering.

ASOS:

I wish the Hound were here. The night of the battle, Sandor Clegane had come to her chambers to take her from the city, but Sansa had refused. Sometimes she lay awake at night, wondering if she’d been wise. She had his stained white cloak hidden in a cedar chest beneath her summer silks. She could not say why she’d kept it. The Hound had turned craven, she heard it said; at the height of the battle, he got so drunk the Imp had to take his men. But Sansa understood. She knew the secret of his burned face. It was only the fire he feared. That night, the wildfire had set the river itself ablaze, and filled the very air with green flame. Even in the castle, Sansa had been afraid. Outside . . . she could scarcely imagine it.

in a marriage under the seven, after all the vows are spoken the bride's father removes her cloak and the husband puts his cloak around her, signifying that she is now under his protection

Just an interesting little subtle thing that may mean absolutely nothing in the end

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
crying%20sansa.gif

tumblr_mlnkvvczjY1rmxv97o1_500.gif

Remember to tell her afterwards: "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention".

ROFL! That's awesome. That poor sister hahahaha.

Cool interview, thanks for that. NCW is awesome. <3

Brashnir

in a marriage under the seven, after all the vows are spoken the bride's father removes her cloak and the husband puts his cloak around her, signifying that she is now under his protection

Just an interesting little subtle thing that may mean absolutely nothing in the end

ASOS/ACOK
I always assumed he left it behind as a symbol of his abandoment of the Kingsguard. The marriage ceremony angle didn't even occur to me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS/ACOK
I always assumed he left it behind as a symbol of his abandoment of the Kingsguard. The marriage ceremony angle didn't even occur to me.
Indeed. Besides, [ACoK/ASoS]
does Sansa give her own cloak to the Hound? It's an exchange of cloaks, after all. :p

Leeness

You might need your own thread once all comes to pass.

It's probably for the best that you won't be within arm's reach.

Honestly, it probably won't be that great. She likes the show but she's not super invested. She'll most likely just text me a bunch of "what the hell?! BUT YOU SAID IT WAS THIS" and that'll be most of it haha.

Edit: Also, is that GIF of Kit at the game shopped? Most likely, but if it was actually on TV, I would cry with joy.

FStop7

Banned
ADWD
The point is that his transformation into Reek wouldn't have nearly as much impact unless the audience is fully aware of how much he went through. How else would they explain to the viewer why Theon is suddenly an unrecognizable, beaten down decrepit named Reek, looking more like an old man than the son of Balon Greyjoy?

There is no "Reek" in the show prior to Theon's change, so the audience doesn't have anything to go by to know just how far he's fallen when he re-emerges from the Dreadfort.

less is more

this is having the opposite effect

Levi

Banned
There's probably a bunch of boy/Theon out there, ever since they cast Iwan Rheon. lol

Just search
Thramsay.

I have a secret hope that
Gendry/Arya
meet again, but that's the closest thing to a ship I'd be willing to sign onto. I get SanSan, they have some really great book scenes together (and their interaction in the Blackwater episode was damn good) but I don't see them having a happy ending together.

He is 27 in the first book, so well...

Regarding the books
Sansa seem to remember the hound kissing her, when that did not happen during the actual event, perhaps hinting that Sansa has romanticized the event in her head, or something.

I thought that was more
Her fantasizing, since at this point, he would be the only 'knight' that would come and save her.

I think it means more that she is and will continue to be 'under his protection' than anything to do with marriage; I don't think anyone would disagree that if he knew what was going down with her currently he wouldn't be all up in that.

Massa

less is more

this is having the opposite effect

ADWD
I disagree. People want it to be over already because they assume there's an ending in sight... like a rescue or even a death. They're not expecting to witness the complete mental destruction of a person but that's exactly what they're getting.

Levi

Banned
ADWD
I disagree. People want it to be over already because they assume there's an ending in sight... like a rescue or even a death. They're not expecting to witness the complete mental destruction of a person but that's exactly what they're getting.

No way. I love the Dance chapters that inspired this storyline, and I'm well over seeing this on screen.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ADWD
I have a Theon question then...

Reek was spoiled for me, so I am curious to those who read ADWD when it came out. How long did it take you to figure out it was Theon? I didn't really pick up hints on the first reek chapter, but it seemed pretty obvious by his second chapter. I'm wondering what the reaction was like to people who were surprised when they read it.

ADWD
Reek was spoiled for me, so I am curious to those who read ADWD when it came out. How long did it take you to figure out it was Theon? I didn't really pick up hints on the first reek chapter, but it seemed pretty obvious by his second chapter. I'm wondering what the reaction was like to people who were surprised when they read it.

I wasn't aware it was supposed to be a a secret. Seemed fairly obvious.

ADWD

I started picking up on it almost immediately if I remember correctly. I remember reading those chapters with a sense of growing dread.

ADWD

ADWD
It's confusing because I didn't realize the whole Reek/Ramsay switch until after I read the first Reek chapter. But the dead give away was towards the end when Ramsay is talking to Karstark and someone else and he jokes about how "Reek" doesn't smile as much and then makes the "what is dead may never die but reek here clearly hasn't come back stronger" comment that made me go "OH MY GOD SO THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED TO THEON".

Honestly I think it's important that in a fantasy show like this they show ADWD
Theon's transformation because otherwise the viewers will instinctively think his situation was not much worse than Jaime's, Ned's or Davos' in terms of dungeon treatment. Only thing left for them to do is have a scene where theon tries to smile in defiance of ramsay only to have ramsay smash his teeth in with a hammer. That's something that unlike flayed/maimed fingers would be really easy to replicate in the show yet at the same time would be a perfect mental "pillar break" for theon.

cj_iwakura

ADWD

Never occurred to me until I was pretty much hit over the head with it.

ADWD
Wasn't there something by the end of the first Reek chapter that basically said it was Theon? At least that's how I remember it.

I have a...... question then...

ADWD

And this is how you AREN'T supposed to do spoilers. Spoiler the whole thing.

suzu

ADWD

ADWD
I figured it out pretty fast. When they ask him for his name and he thinks about how he had forgotten it.

ADWD
Wasn't there something by the end of the first Reek chapter that basically said it was Theon? At least that's how I remember it.

[ADWD]
Ramsay says in the end of the chapter something along the lines of "They say that which is dead may never die but comes back stronger. Well Reek here sure doesn't seem to be much stronger."

Noema

There's a Game of Thrones / ASoIaF crossover?

Maybe Book Robb, show Robb, Jayne Westerling and Talisa get to have some sort of foursome in it.

Snake

ADWD

[Series]
I had just sped through the whole series leading up to ADWD, so it was very fresh in my mind and the first thought I had upon reading the chapter title "Reek," was that it was Theon. It was essentially the only plausible option considering the original Reek was dead and it seemed highly unlikely that Ramsay was going to be getting a POV under that moniker. It never even seemed to me like his identity was a secret.

And since, as far as I remember, you've similarly been going through all the books relatively recently, I'd say this was probably one of the least damaging things to have spoiled. Especially considering that, unless I'm mistaken, it was known to fans for a long time prior to ADWD that Theon would be returning to the series.

RaidenZR

ADWD

[ADWD]
As others have said, for me it was sometime during the first Reek chapter. I remember initially being really confused about the whole thing (not to mention being very grossed out when he describes the satisfaction of biting into rats with his broken teeth) and even considered re-reading ACOK chapters to brush up, but eventually within the first Reek chapter or two there's enough hints to put it together.

[Further ADWD Spoilers]
I can also remember I was still looking for switcheroos or twists to happen again further into the book, but his identity gradually comes back to him of course.

cj_iwakura

Just about done watching the histories on Season 1. Amazing stuff, can't believe I didn't watch them before.

Robert's narration on The Mad King was the best. Does Season 2 have more of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom