• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SOS
It would make zero sense to make her character suspicious now, only to kill her off at the very location she is betraying him. And her pregnancy is now retcon official on the show due to GRRM's writing, so there is no reason it couldn't be in the book. Edmure also plays next to no role, does that mean he too is going to be killed? And Blackfish? I think this falls in the same category as theories that Shae and Ygrrite won't die now either. Fans are overthinking the writers. Robb and Cat are plenty enough of a gutpunch.

ASOS
Blackfish could go a few ways.

He could get called back to Riverrun in this weeks episode.

He could be a badass and escape the wedding.

The writers could be giving the book readers something to give the RW an emotional hook for them, as they know what happens at the wedding, but killing off a popular book character would be a shock for the book readers as well.

Since the Greatjon isn't in this and all the smaller lords don't exist, I think the baby is just meant for extra emotional baggage when she dies. We can afford to ditch the Jeyne betrayal plot

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Overall trajectory, which is great, is more important than the week-by-week ups and downs. Also, HBO is more interested in overall numbers across all platforms and airings rather than just the first airing, though it is a decent barometer as to how ratings are moving along.
I would believe that if they weren't skipping Memorial Day this year.

I would believe that if they weren't skipping Memorial Day this year.
They aired Blackwater on Memorial Day last year and numbers were down on all airings and platforms, iirc. This gives them a convenient way to package their tv movie that will air in that spot, and given the content of Episode 9 (and penultimate episodes on HBO in general), I'd imagine they want as many people to watch it on the first airing as possible.

dubq

Keep in mind that the real numbers that HBO cares about most is subscriber numbers. I would like to see what impact this show has made on their subscriber numbers since the first season premiered.

Joni

There will not be enough popcorn .gifs

Also one thing people seem to forget about... events...
ASOS
Robb never should have HAD to enter into the marriage pact. Frey honor was shit already as they were already alligned to House Stark, but held the twins hostage to try and get more out of Robb.
ASOS/ACOK
Hoster Tully is the liege lord of Frey, not the Starks. At that time Riverrun hadn't pledged to the Starks yet so he was completely in his right. If Hoster/Edmure Tully hadn't supported Robb, Frey would have big problems.

i just finished AFFC. spoilers ahead for affc, don't feel like posting in the other thread since I still have to find a store that sells ADWD

holy shit the dornish are trying to find kelly c
i'm excited to see where the maester/sam storyline goes
cersei's downfall is something. like holy shit i was starting to like her a bit, so good job GRRM.
i giggled when Jaime met tom o'sevens and he said he knew "the rain song"
i feel bad for both jaime and brienne. no one believes them. i assume the end of her POV confirms she is dead

i am fucking sick of the goddamn outlaws. if GRRM didn't want an "evil" faction, he failed miserably. they just go around murdering everyone with their holier than thou shtick. catelyn is not some poor, innocent woman ffs. i really don't care who it is that kills them, even if it is a force i am not fond of, i just want to see it happen already. i loved brienne/jaime in asos, and although brienne's story started off rather dull in this book imo, it picked up steam and i was hoping that stoneheart would realize what she was really doing and team up with her. alas, i am not reading something written by jk rowling

sorry that my spoiler tag didn't work the first time, if you saw something, my sincerest apologies

I know you don't want to post in another thread, but this shouldn't be here. It is just you rambling about stuff that has nothing to do with the tv show.

ASOS/ACOK
Hoster Tully is the liege lord of Frey, not the Starks. At that time Riverrun hadn't pledged to the Starks yet so he was completely in his right. If Hoster/Edmure Tully hadn't supported Robb, Frey would have big problems.

The Tully's obviously back the house that their daughter is a part of though without question, although I guess technically they wouldn't be required to do that.

Speaking of which (not really spoilers, but Westerosi law question)
Are smaller houses required to lend their support to their liege lord if they want to support another house i.e. the example being are the Frey's required to lend their full support to the Starks because the Tully's do so?

Keep in mind that the real numbers that HBO cares about most is subscriber numbers. I would like to see what impact this show has made on their subscriber numbers since the first season premiered.

Yeah the easier thing to quantitatively measure a show's success is how many are watching compared to their total subscribers. Last I saw HBO had somewhere around 30 million subscribers (that might be from a few years ago) and GOT is averaging over 13 million viewers per episode across all airings and platforms. That's nearly 50% of their subscribers watching one of their shows, that's pretty damn impressive.

Mario007

Hey guys I wanted to ask a question, how many books does GRRM still need to write to finish of the series? I always thought there was only one left, but I think i saw somewhere that he still has 2 to go?

devilhawk

When do they typically begin filming?

What characters do they have to cast or recast/bring back next year? ASoS:
Red Viper
Mace Tyrell
Other Tyrells for the Wedding
Maester Aemon
Night's Watch guys that were either in Season 1 or new
Janos Slynt
Allister Thorne
Val
Rattleshir/t

Not a ton as they will probably keep the Iron Born and Dornish to Season 5.

Joni

The Tully's obviously back the house that their daughter is a part of though without question, although I guess technically they wouldn't be required to do that.
Frey knew Edmure was leading Riverrun and we do know not all Tully siblings like Cat. Edmure might have acted like Lysa which would have lead to trouble for the Freys if they didn't have the escape of a marriage.

Speaking of which (not really spoilers, but Westerosi law question)
Are smaller houses required to lend their support to their liege lord if they want to support another house i.e. the example being are the Frey's required to lend their full support to the Starks because the Tully's do so?
No, they aren't. The Frey's waited with their support of Riverrun until the end of the rebellion. And we know numerous houses allied to the Starks, the Arryn and the Baratheons decided to support the Targ dynasty. Most of those houses got wiped out during the war.

When do they typically begin filming?

What characters do they have to cast or recast/bring back next year? ASoS:
Red Viper
Mace Tyrell
Other Tyrells for the Wedding
Maester Aemon
Night's Watch guys that were either in Season 1 or new
Janos Slynt
Allister Thorne
Val
Rattleshir/t

Not a ton as they will probably keep the Iron Born and Dornish to Season 5.

Early July is when they've been starting.

Also, I assume Series
That they'll do Ironborn next season, so that will have some significant casting.

Leeness

You guys, I feel so mean.

ASOS major spoilers:
So I told my sister that there was a big event in the third book called the Red Wedding, but not what it was (she wanted to know if "anything interesting" happened in the third book). I also told her that Joffrey dies at his wedding (because she hates Joffrey and was begging me to tell her when he kicked the bucket).

Now she's under the impression that Red Wedding is Joffrey's death and oh lawd hahahaha. I feel so evil, I'm doing nothing to correct her. She's all "I'm so looking forward to the Red Wedding, it's gonna be so good I've been waiting two years for Joffrey to die".

Then she asks how many people die, I tell her three or so main characters, and she thinks "Joffrey, Cersei and maybe Maergary" and is all happy because she hates the Lannisters.

THEN she makes sure "none of the Starks are there right?"

I tell her "only Sansa is in King's Landing", and she says "good, because they're the only family I like".

HAHAHAHA OH GOD.

TL;dr: I'm a troll of Ramsay-levels towards my sister.

Moff

So it seems that it's confirmed they are NOT doing the
attack on Castle Black
this season, based on some casting info for S4.

ASOS
hmm, I would not have expected that.
I wonder if they will fuse together the 2 battles at the wall? tormund attacking from the south and mance from the north. ygritte dying and stannis saving the day.

I think balons death will be shown in season 4 or even 5, there is no need to rush this and we have not seen anything on pike this season.

dmann

Hey guys I wanted to ask a question, how many books does GRRM still need to write to finish of the series? I always thought there was only one left, but I think i saw somewhere that he still has 2 to go?

suzu said:

At this rate, I have no faith in GRRM tying up all the loose ends and finishing the series up in two books.

I see the next book in probably late 2014/early 2015, then the next in 2019/2020, then whatever is left. Hopefully HBO, Dave and D.B. lights a fire under his ass and GRRM gets his act together to finish up the books...stop going to cons and watching the New York Jets. He'll probably get a whole lot of more work done if he does that.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

ASOS major spoilers:
So I told my sister that there was a big event in the third book called the Red Wedding, but not what it was (she wanted to know if "anything interesting" happened in the third book). I also told her that Joffrey dies at his wedding (because she hates Joffrey and was begging me to tell her when he kicked the bucket).

Now she's under the impression that Red Wedding is Joffrey's death and oh lawd hahahaha. I feel so evil, I'm doing nothing to correct her. She's all "I'm so looking forward to the Red Wedding, it's gonna be so good I've been waiting two years for Joffrey to die".

Then she asks how many people die, I tell her three or so main characters, and she thinks "Joffrey, Cersei and maybe Maergary" and is all happy because she hates the Lannisters.

I tell her "only Sansa is in King's Landing", and she says "good, because they're the only family I like".

HAHAHAHA OH GOD.

That poor, poor girl.

Aiii

So not worth it
She could be the new version of that guy who lost his shit when Ned died. You must record your sister somehow during the episode

Yes, indeed, let us taste those tears.

tumblr_la0258dJVO1qzmm04o1_500.gif

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

ASOS major spoilers:

HAHAHAHA OH GOD.

This is pure gold. I agree, you MUST film this.

ASOS major spoilers:

HAHAHAHA OH GOD.

Man, the backlash is going to be soooooooo immense

http://geeksout.org/sites/default/files/blog-images/crying%20sansa.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/afeea73200a272d1ef43d189a92d5aad/tumblr_mlnkvvczjY1rmxv97o1_500.gif[IMG]

Remember to tell her afterwards: "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention".[/QUOTE]

Oh god yes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
why is there so much sansa / the hound fan fiction

why do I know this

Reyne

Well the Hound in the books is like 20ish not a 40+ year old creep, and they interact alot more than in the show

He is 27 in the first book, so well...

Regarding the books
Sansa seem to remember the hound kissing her, when that did not happen during the actual event, perhaps hinting that Sansa has romanticized the event in her head, or something.

Fey

Banned
SOS
It would make zero sense to make her character suspicious now, only to kill her off at the very location she is betraying him. And her pregnancy is now retcon official on the show due to GRRM's writing, so there is no reason it couldn't be in the book. Edmure also plays next to no role, does that mean he too is going to be killed? And Blackfish? I think this falls in the same category as theories that Shae and Ygrrite won't die now either. Fans are overthinking the writers. Robb and Cat are plenty enough of a gutpunch.
season 3/series
Edmure and Blackfish aren't as important characters in the show yet (their absence from season 4/5, if any, will be similar to lysa's or walder frey's absences in the show), plus they do appear later on in AFFC/ADWD in significant scenes. Killing them makes no sense.

And this is nowhere near as ludicrous as 'shae/ygritte won't die.' I don't think you're understanding my point. What I'm trying to say is if Jeyne is no longer important in the books/story post-ASOS, it makes sense to have her killed off, instead of having to explain her situation after the RW/have her suddenly disappear from the show. Robb's wife is unarguably more relevant in the show than in the books. It made no difference to us when she made little to no appearances in the books after ASOS because she was hardly in the books in the first place. This isn't the case with the show. They can't just have her disappear, nor would it be tactical to keep her on the show when her story/role is pretty much done. Why keep her alive if she has nothing more to offer? From what we've seen in the books, it seems her only role was to be Robb's wife.
What you seem to be suggesting is that she WILL be important in the books to come, in which case, yes i agree, she won't die (and I think her not dying will confirm Jeyne will be important in WOW/DOS). I just don't see her becoming important, but i may be wrong.
We'll see if she dies soon enough! 8]

And why is Talisa suspicious? :eek:

He is 27 in the first book, so well...

Regarding the books
Sansa seem to remember the hound kissing her, when that did not happen during the actual event, perhaps hinting that Sansa has romanticized the event in her head, or something.

Plus
Sandor leaves his cloak behind and she keeps it hidden with all of her clothes. Exchanging of cloaks is part of Westerosi wedding rituals

have you read the books? AFFC/ADWD needed editing badly.

the more she drank, the more she shat?
fat pink mast?
myrish swamps?
etc?

GURM is a perv, he doesn't need fans to write his creepy fanfic.

I was referring to the fact that he's apparently very opposed to fan fiction, not the fact that he's a dirty old man. :p

From the limited sample of shippers I know Gendry/Arya and Jaime/Brienne seem pretty popular too. At least one of those is between people of the same age bracket.

Jaime/Brienne is probably 2nd, Arya/Gendry always been around but I think got a huge boost as a result of the show. Jon/Dany is also pretty high for two people who haven't met, and I expect the number to go way up when they do meet in a few years.

ronito

ASOS major spoilers:

HAHAHAHA OH GOD.

Wow, you're evil. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom