• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Probably could not drop hints as innocently if certain theories pan out.

If that winds up being important later on, they'll wish they'd at least referenced it. May as well, for the unfamiliar:

AGOT

There was a duel at the Tower of Joy between Ned, Howland Reed, five others, and the last three of Aerys' Kingsguard. Only Ned and Howland survived.

The events were supposed to be very important, and have yet to be spelled out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ADWD
I have a Theon question then...

Reek was spoiled for me, so I am curious to those who read ADWD when it came out. How long did it take you to figure out it was Theon? I didn't really pick up hints on the first reek chapter, but it seemed pretty obvious by his second chapter. I'm wondering what the reaction was like to people who were surprised when they read it.

I knew the moment I saw the chapter title. But then... I'm a huge ASoIaF nerd and I had re-read the series again shortly before ADwD came out, but I know I wouldn't have needed to cause I'm just too much of a book nerd to miss the reference, lol. It never occurred to me that [ADwD]
Reek could be anyone but Theon.

Hah hah, I meant to type Arya / Gendry!

But you know Arya / Renly fanfic's gotta exist. I'm afraid to Google. Im not ready for what I might find.

Well, it's not that far-fetched, when Brienne saw Gendry for the first time she mistook him for Renly.

cj_iwakura

Non-book reader here. Question about Theon's situation...who in the blue hell are
torturing him and why?

Spoilers for ADWD, somewhat series(but I'll only spoil what you ask about):

He's Ramsay Bolton, Roose Bolton's bastard. You may know Roose as the guy who currently let Jaime go back to King's Landing, as he's one of Robb's bannerman.

In short, Ramsay is a sadistic bastard who likes to break people.

And as you may guess in the episode when he kills his own men, he HATES being called a bastard.

Yup, it's a terrible world we live in...

http://i.imgur.com/NUxOLC1.pn

The description for the Batman one is Sansa/Sandor as Catwoman and Batman...[/QUOTE]

Actually there is a lot less ASoIaF fic than you would expect for being so popular. It's cause GRRM is against it, so most fic writers make it off limits. (And most archives will remove it every once and awhile) I am sure the show will kick up the numbers quite a bit however, since it's technically not the books heh.

Edit: Considering that ASoIaF has 2kish total on ff.net, and Harry Potter has 600,000 plus.

Wait, so the last we saw Theon before he got into that situation was that he sacked Winterfell and got knocked out by his own men. How did he get into the hands of
Ramsay Bolton
?

Is
Ramsay Bolton torturing Theon cause he sacked Winterfell or mainly cause he just sadistic?

SRTtoZ

Ive been saving up on episodes since I like watching many at once so I finally watched all episodes of this season and thank god for the past 2-3 episodes because before those its been a meh season. Good shit though, cant wait for the rest.

NinjaBoiX

Ive been saving up on episodes since I like watching many at once so I finally watched all episodes of this season and thank god for the past 2-3 episodes because before those its been a meh season. Good shit though, cant wait for the rest.
I think it's been typically excellent. I love this show so much, it's incredible.

TCRS

Banned
tumblr_mmo1jkIwOS1qk2t5co2_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_mmpaifOP7W1qzlt9yo1_250.png

tumblr_mmpaifOP7W1qzlt9yo2_250.png

I want to watch the episode again, alone for the Joffrey and Tywin scene.

Probably could not drop hints as innocently if certain theories pan out.

The problem is with so many "past" things and prophecies in play it will make for some very strange reveals in the TV series or VERY long flashback scenes. And there could have been a middle ground between: "Show them everything that happend that even - even stuff the book readers do not know!" and "Let's drop a few hint's that things may have differently than XYZ said".

And AKOC
futher the things Melisandre sees in the Fire, the things revealed or hinted at in the HotU should have at least been mentioned by now, in my eyes as they now become very relevant. And it's not like they do not adress Bran's visions etc., therefore those elements would not even be out of place.

cj_iwakura

Wait, so the last we saw Theon before he got into that situation was that he sacked Winterfell and got knocked out by his own men. How did he get into the hands of
Ramsay Bolton
?

Is
Ramsay Bolton torturing Theon cause he sacked Winterfell or mainly cause he just sadistic?

ASOS/ADWD

A little of column A, but if so, only because Roose told him to, as he shows some of Theon's skin to Robb in the book later on. Mostly Ramsay is just sadistic, and probably leapt at the chance to have a Greyjoy plaything.

Ramsay Bolton
?

Is
Theon didn't sack Winterfell. The one who killed everyone there and burned it was Ramsay himself.

Also, it's Ramsay SNOW, people. Not Bolton.
series
At least yet.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Charles Dance is so amazing.

Gwendoline Christie is so amazing.

I've been re-reading ASOS on my Kindle. My wife grabs the Kindle to read her book, and scans a few lines of what I'm reading and just happens to read some line about ASOS
the King dying.
Bad luck, lol! She was so disappointed to be spoiled.

It was mentioning Joffrey's death (all it said was the King, though), which I assume won't be until next season, so she'll still be surprised by the RW. I told her, yep, the King dies and it will happen Episode 9.
:)

Dany

Banned
Dude, lol we generally put spoilers around entire sentences, not just the 'key words' that has the actual spoilers.

Also you are so cruel to your wife. Haha

Dude, lol we generally put spoilers around entire sentences, not just the 'key words' that has the actual spoilers.

Also you are so cruel to your wife. Haha

Oh sorry.

Anyhow yeah, next time I'll hit the home button on the Kindle so she won't open to where I left off. I didn't even think about spoilereringedifying her that way. oh well, LOL.

Noema

AFAIK only acknowledged bastards get the regional surnames; ie, Snow, Hill, Flowers, Rivers, Storm, etc. So Jon and
Ramsay
are Snows and ASOS
Robert's bastard Edric is a Storm
but Gendry is just Gendry and not Gendry Waters.

For a bastard to get his father's surname he must be legitimized by a King, at which point he technically stops being a bastard. ASOS
Like Robb and Stannis intended to do with Jon and Joffrey does with Ramsay

Chuckie

For a bastard to get his father's surname he must be legitimized by a King, at which point he technically stops being a bastard. ASOS
Like Robb and Stannis intended to do with Jon and Joffrey does with Ramsay

ASOS
According to the wiki King Tommen I does this with Ramsay, Not Joffrey. Personally I can't remember any more

Majmun

Realizing that the books will NEVER catch up to the pace the show is currently going- what are the chances of HBO funding some sort of prequel? Fleshing out the Targaryen storyline with the mad king and his eventual downfall. Rhaegar's and Elia's tragic story. The battles Ned and Robert fought sound amazing, too. Plus there would be some drama involving Lyanna Stark and how Ned+Jon came to life.

The ASOIAF universe is pretty big and interesting pre-Game of Thrones IMO. I'd love to see a prequel show. Each episode could also be dedicated to a lore.

Milk ha, HBO. My money is ready.

dubq

Realizing that the books will NEVER catch up to the pace the show is currently going- what are the chances of HBO funding some sort of prequel? Fleshing out the Targaryen storyline with the mad king and his eventual downfall. Rhaegar's and Elia's tragic story. The battles Ned and Robert fought sound amazing, too. Plus there would be some drama involving Lyanna Stark and how Ned+Jon came to life.

The ASOIAF universe is pretty big and interesting pre-Game of Thrones IMO. I'd love to see a prequel show. Each episode could also be dedicated to a lore.

Supposedly GRRM and HBO have had conversations about adapting the Dunk & Egg Hedge Knight stories. Not exactly a prequel (90 years before instead of 17) but I think that as a series would be infinitely more interesting.

dubq

ADWD
I have a Theon question then...

Reek was spoiled for me, so I am curious to those who read ADWD when it came out. How long did it take you to figure out it was Theon? I didn't really pick up hints on the first reek chapter, but it seemed pretty obvious by his second chapter. I'm wondering what the reaction was like to people who were surprised when they read it.

The first chapter gave it away for me about midway through. ADWD
In Reeks first chapter in ADWD Ramsay makes teh "What is dead may never die" reference AND one of the lords he is supping with realizes who he is and calls him Stark's ward who was always smiling (a reference Bran also makes in AGOT).

Chances are incredibly slim.

That said, a fully re-cast Robert's Rebellion miniseries would be AMAZING.

pr0cs

Supposedly GRRM and HBO have had conversations about adapting the Dunk & Egg Hedge Knight stories. Not exactly a prequel (90 years before instead of 17) but I think that as a series would be infinitely more interesting.

well it lends itself to a TV series a lot better than AsoiaF

dubq

well it lends itself to a TV series a lot better than AsoiaF

Yeah, with something like Robert's Rebellion.. I think that would lend better toward a two part HBO movie or something like that. Hedge Knight just screams ongoing TV series to me, though. I would do backflips if that ever materialized.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, with something like Robert's Rebellion.. I think that would lend better toward a two part HBO movie or something like that. Hedge Knight just screams ongoing TV series to me, though. I would do backflips if that ever materialized.

More Mark Addy? I'm down. Is he normally thinner, like can he pull off a FURY Robert Baratheon?

dubq

More Mark Addy? I'm down. Is he normally thinner, like can he pull off a FURY Robert Baratheon?
I honestly doubt it. He would have to get shredded, which is unlikely for an actor at his age.

But I was talking about the Hedge Knight series being adapted, not Robert's Rebellion. ;)

cj_iwakura

I honestly doubt it. He would have to get shredded, which is unlikely for an actor at his age.

But I was talking about the Hedge Knight series being adapted, not Robert's Rebellion. ;)

I've never read those, are they any good? (Probably a stupid question.)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They're pretty damn good, yes. They also give a lot of cool insights into Westeros history, the Targaryen rule, and also give some additional background information for the later novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom