• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the developments in ADWD, I actually considered the Dunk and Egg stories required reading, in that some of the stuff in ADWD won't make as much sense to the reader if they hadn't read those.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
UwlmOU1.jpg

Levi

Banned
Regarding Dunk and Egg, I just got to the part in my Feast/Dance reread where
Brienne has her shield painted to resemble one in her father's armory--one that looks exactly like the shield Ser Duncan the Tall bore. That fact, along with her great height, had led some to speculate that Brienne is a descendant of Dunk the Lunk.

Maybe in the show they'll make this connection more explicit.

dubq

Does it make me a super nerd that I get annoyed when I see people state that AGOT takes place in "medieval times"?

Chuckie

Does it make me a super nerd that I get annoyed when I see people state that AGOT takes place in "medieval times"?

How else would you describe it? While it is not technically correct (it is not our medieval times) it is an easy way to let people know it is within a fantasy setting that resembles medieval times (ie castles, swords, no guns yet etc)

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

I do too.
It's fine if you are just describing it to an outsider, but I hate it when people bring that baggage into the discussion.

"Well, people didn't know about that in the medieval times..."

C'mon now...

Joni

It makes you wrong. A Song of Ice and Fire was inspired by the War of the Roses. Martin has also stated he wanted to show the brutality and the political intrigue of the period, but with original characters instead of the more Disneyland Middle Ages of Tolkien. Martin is writing Medieval fanfiction.

I was also reading a lot of historical fiction. And the contrast between that and a lot of the fantasy at the time was dramatic because a lot of the fantasy of Tolkien imitators has a quasi-medieval setting, but it’s like the Disneyland Middle Ages. You know, they’ve got tassels and they’ve got lords and stuff like that, but they don’t really seem to grasp what it was like in the Middle Ages. And then you’d read the historical fiction which was much grittier and more realistic and really give you a sense of what it was like to live in castles or to be in a battle with swords and things like that. And I said what I want to do is combine some of the realism of historical fiction with some of the appeal of fantasy, the magic and the wonder that the best fantasy has.

cdkee

Banned
I love reading (ASOS Spoiler)
the speculation from the show-only thread, oh man, are these guys in for a surprise. I just re-read the RW chapter on my flight today and wow, this is going to be amazing if it's done as well as Ned's death.

Noema

It makes you wrong. A Song of Ice and Fire was inspired by the War of the Roses. Martin has also stated he wanted to show the brutality and the political intrigue of the period, but with original characters instead of the more Disneyland Middle Ages of Tolkien. Martin is writing Medieval fanfiction.

I once read that basically what GRRM wanted was to write medieval history where you didn't know who was going to die.

I once read that basically what GRRM wanted was to write medieval history where you didn't know who was going to die.
The only thing I remember from interviews was he suddenly had a vision of a family of nobles finding a dead wolf and her pups in the forest. He wrote that, put it away and came back to that writing some times later..and something to do with the war of the roses :p no idea which came first.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Regarding Dunk and Egg, I just got to the part in my Feast/Dance reread where
Brienne has her shield painted to resemble one in her father's armory--one that looks exactly like the shield Ser Duncan the Tall bore. That fact, along with her great height, had led some to speculate that Brienne is a descendant of Dunk the Lunk.

Maybe in the show they'll make this connection more explicit.

I've never heard that theory. I much prefer the idea that Hodor is descendent. Which seems pretty much like fact to me at this point.

I've never heard that theory. I much prefer the idea that Hodor is descendent. Which seems pretty much like fact to me at this point.

Pretty sure they both are. I think before one of the books came out, GRRM said that we'd be (Series)
meeting a descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall. I also heard from somewhere that he said there were 4 descendants in the books but I dont have a source on it. If its true though, I was thinking Small Paul would be one of them because of how he's described as "thick as a castle wall" at one point

edit - It was before AFFC came out, and he said we'd be getting POV chapters of one of Dunk's descendants

Another gem from the non-book thread:

Yeah, I'm not really on the Stannis bandwagon. Nitpicking from the book here, but first of all he doesn't look like a Baratheon. He's a wormy dude and would've made a better Roose Bolton. Stannis is supposed to look like Robert if Robert got bald instead of fat. The dude who plays Davos would've been better for the role. Second, he's totally Melissandre's bitch, which gets old after a while. They don't play up his rigid adherence to the law that much, either.
Finally, everyone knows that Dany is the one true ruler and Stannis' stubbornness and propensity for being a dick are just gonna get him capped at some point,
probably in the next book.

Never understood why book readers have to be so smug all the time. This basicàlly killed any sense of danger for the charachter for the next 3 seasons. It would be better if the thread treated the books like they never existed.

He shouldn't be posting in that thread at all, I reported it to a mod. Seriously, why do people do that? If I were a mod I'd have the heavy hand of Stannis and ban them.

He shouldn't be posting in that thread.

He clearly is a book reader so why should it matter? Its not like he is speculating about the charachter, he only presents his views as a book reader.

Edit: Damn stealth edit, my post makes no sense with that quote :(

Chris R

He clearly is a book reader so why should it matter? Its not like he is speculating about the charachter, he only presents his views as a book reader.

Edit: Damn stealth edit, my post makes no sense with that quote :(

Because that thread is for NON BOOK people. In that thread there are no books, books never existed, ect. How would a person know what a character should look like when they are only shown in the show and never described anywhere else? And then the stuff about [ADWD]
how Stannis should die in the next book......
do I even need to comment on that?

The post might have worked in this thread or in the free for all thread, but it was a bad idea to even bring it up in the no book thread.

Because that thread is for NON BOOK people. In that thread there are no books, books never existed, ect. How would a person know what a character should look like when they are only shown in the show and never described anywhere else? And then the stuff about [ADWD]
how Stannis should die in the next book......
do I even need to comment on that?

The post might have worked in this thread or in the free for all thread, but it was a bad idea to even bring it up in the no book thread.

RileyLewis Asker me to delete my quote since he thought the poster was speculating, and that i, by quoting him in this thread, would end up spoiling him. RileyLewis edited before i hit reply, so my previous post dont make a lot of sense.

So, regarding how the TV show is telegraphing or not telegraphing certain things

ASOS
So I was listening to the Grantland Hollywood Prospectus podcast (which is pretty awesome, you should give it a listen), and one of the hosts who's a true show-watcher and has never touched the books totally called the RW. He said that Robb's dialog, especially with his wife, is reminding him of the first scene of a horror movie, or of McBain's Danny Glover partner from the Simpsons and how he bought a boat called "Live Forever". I really hope it's not as obvious for other folks experiencing the story for the first time. Anyone's friends make any similar predictions?

tino

Banned
So, regarding how the TV show is telegraphing or not telegraphing certain things

ASOS
So I was listening to the Grantland Hollywood Prospectus podcast (which is pretty awesome, you should give it a listen), and one of the hosts who's a true show-watcher and has never touched the books totally called the RW. He said that Robb's dialog, especially with his wife, is reminding him of the first scene of a horror movie, or of McBain's Danny Glover partner from the Simpsons and how he bought a boat called "Live Forever". I really hope it's not as obvious for other folks experiencing the story for the first time. Anyone's friends make any similar predictions?

I thought it was very heavy handed telegraphing. FWTW I got that vide when I was read the book too. ASOS
I was so aware of something really terrible was going to happen I went aheard and spoiled myself on wikipedia because I didn't want to deal the emotional truama. The fake death in 2nd book really pissed me off for some reason.

UraMallas

I feel like it's going to come out of left field for most, unless they really lay it on in the next episode. Every one of my non-book reader friends (which is all of them) that also watch the show have no clue. It's going to be glorious around my neck of the woods.

Chris R

RileyLewis Asker me to delete my quote since he thought the poster was speculating, and that i, by quoting him in this thread, would end up spoiling him. RileyLewis edited before i hit reply, so my previous post dont make a lot of sense.

I saw your post before you edited it.

I was just saying that the post you quoted shouldn't exist in the other thread at all. Either post it here with the proper things tagged as book spoilers, or post it in the unmarked spoilers thread.

Somebody should make a list, episode by episode of quotes from the other thread where book readers went over there and got stupid this season. A little Wall of Shame to try to discourage people in the future.

Yeah I edited my post, I thought 1138 was quoting a different post and so was linking a non-reader to this thread (which is annoying when people do that). I tried to edit it before he noticed my mistake but couldn't. :(

And I think we're all in agreeance that the quoted post from the other thread shouldn't exist at all. I sent a message to a mod and also to the poster in question, so hopefully someone removes it because it completely reveals ADWD
that both Stannis and Dany survive until at least book 5

Munin

ASOS

It's super obvious, that dialogue about their kid etc
is basically like the scene in Hollywood movies where the protagonist's partner hears his wife is pregnant and gets shot 5 minutes later

ASOS

Some of my friends expected the Freys to be way more bitter than what they were in the previous episode, but I doubt they smell a trap.

The books dropped a significant amount of hints about Robb being doomed. The TV show on the other hand haven't telegraphed the event at all the way I see it. Crazy Cat might count, but I doubt any non-readers would make the connection between her and the event of the wedding itself. The hints I remember from the book were:

Theon dreaming of Robb and Grey Wind bleeding of a hundred wounds when he has nightmares about the people who have been killed in Winterfell.

Several Frey's are at Harrenhall by the time they discovered that Robb wed another and presents their complaints to Roose Bolton.

Roose Bolton then sends the Glovers and Tallharts to raid Duskendale at some really weak pretense. The reader quickly learns that there were nothing to gain by raiding Duskendale, I think Robb himself stated that Tallhart and Glover were mad to go there.

Roose Bolton lets Jaime continue to Kings Landing.

Roose Bolton narrowly escapes the Mountain on his way to the Twins. His own sworn bannermen all survive, but the bannermen from the other major Houses of the North are captured or killed.

Even on my first reading of the series I knew that something was up about the Frey's and Bolton's but I never expected them to mass-murder thousands of people.

Yeah I edited my post, I thought 1138 was quoting a different post and so was linking a non-reader to this thread (which is annoying when people do that). I tried to edit it before he noticed my mistake but couldn't. :(

It was a nice stealth edit though :)

I feel like it's going to come out of left field for most, unless they really lay it on in the next episode. Every one of my non-book reader friends (which is all of them) that also watch the show have no clue. It's going to be glorious around my neck of the woods.

Yeah... Just like the book, there is some definite foreshadowing. Especially in the next episode or two they could ratchet that up- [ASoS MAJOR spoilers]
Like Grey Wind howling and growling at the Freys or Walder Frey acting way too kind or Cat introducing the concept of guest right and demanding bread and salt when they arrive. I thought the book did a good job of stringing that along just enough that it felt like maybe that ominous tone could just be a red herring.

I figure the show can do that easily enough if they focus a bunch on Robb's planning to attack Casterly Rock, just like they fake you out in the books with Robb planning on kicking the Greyjoys out of Moat Cailan and taking back the North.

And even if you expect bad shit to happen, the scope and brutality of what happens was shocking to me. When I read the books for the first time, I even had it spoiled that Robb and Cat died at some event called the Red Wedding. But actually reading that chapter is insane. And on top of that, the RW isn't just those 2 characters dying but it is basically ending the war in the North as well, with so many other Northerners dying or being taken captive. In one stroke, Tywin won. And for the show they'll probably kill off Talisa too.

Even on my first reading of the series I knew that something was up about the Frey's and Bolton's but I never expected them to mass-murder thousands of people.

Right. [ASoS]
Its as much the scope and brutality of what happens as it is that bad stuff happens that makes the RW shocking. You know something is up and that maybe the Freys or Boltons might betray Robb but you don't expect them to necessarily butcher everyone so brazenly. Nevermind the savagery with them just dumping Cat in the river or attaching Greywind's head to Robb's body.

It's because the RW is really more about the scope and brutality of the betray rather than just Robb and Cat dying that I feel the show has not properly handle the set up for the RW. Robb has already lost half his men, and he has basically no Northern Lords with him that we can see. The RW in the show will a shadow of what the RW was in the books.

dubq

How else would you describe it? While it is not technically correct (it is not our medieval times) it is an easy way to let people know it is within a fantasy setting that resembles medieval times (ie castles, swords, no guns yet etc)

Medieval specifically refers to Earth's middle ages. 5th to 15th centuries in Europe. There is none of that in Westeros, as the story is taking place in present time, for them.

No, sorry but inspired by is one thing - specifically saying that the story takes place during "Medieval Times" is misleading as well as completely and unequivocally incorrect. Also - everyone knows that GRRM was inspired by the War of the Roses. That doesn't make the terminology somehow correct. Star Wars was inspired in large part by Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. Does that make it correct for me to say it takes place in the 16th century feudal Japan? Or that it takes place in the Sengoku period, but in space? Nope.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Medieval specifically refers to Earth's middle ages. 5th to 15th centuries in Europe. There is none of that in Westeros, as the story is taking place in present time, for them.
People still describe Star Wars as "futuristic" even though it takes place "a long time ago". GRRM himself said he based ASoIaF on Earth's medieval time period so I don't see a problem in describing it as taking place in a medieval time period.

Also, who's to say that it's actually their present? What if the last book flips shit and it ends up this all took place a long time ago like in [SciFi TV show spoiler]
BSG
. :p

Chuckie

Did you not read what I wrote? I said it was technically not correct. However it is the easiest, fastest way to describe to someone to describe the scenery/situation.

Also a story is always taking place in present time for them. It was present time for Hitler in Der Untergang.

Snake

The argument is pointless.

dubq is right that it would be a poor explanation if, for their first exposure to the material, someone had ASoIaF/GoT described to them simply as "it's in medieval times." But if someone were describing the series as "like medieval Europe, but set in a separate, fictional world," then there's nothing at all wrong with that.

Anything beyond that is merely a failure of communication taking place.

edit: crap wrong thread. Supposed to be in book thread.

Didn't mean to jump into this argument of medieval or not, I've always described it that way to friends.

Joni

I'm quite certain it took time in their present time for the people living it here too.

No, sorry but inspired by is one thing - specifically saying that the story takes place during "Medieval Times" is misleading as well as completely and unequivocally incorrect. Also - everyone knows that GRRM was inspired by the War of the Roses. That doesn't make the terminology somehow correct. Star Wars was inspired in large part by Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. Does that make it correct for me to say it takes place in the 16th century feudal Japan? Or that it takes place in the Sengoku period, but in space? Nope.
Aside from the comment about the War of the Roses there is also the comment from himself that he wanted to write something in that period with different characters to make it exciting. So it is set in those times if you want it or not, just a fictional version of it. Something like Inglorious Bastards is also set in WOII times, despite not matching our history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom