• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It is a gay character being portrayed as promiscuous. What an original and brave choice the show made. Want House Tyrrell secrets? Lure Loras with some casual cock!

I'm also in awe that they came up with the idea to have the only gay character in the show monologue about fashion in a campy way! Truly the writers are breaking new ground with on-screen portrayals of gay characters.

The books choice to be subtle and portray Loras first and foremost as a great knight and LOYAL seems regressive in comparison. Why have a character who just happens to be gay when you can make his homosexuality the centerpiece of his entire characterization?

That scene tried to show the complete incompatibility of thte match of him and Sansa, and the dramatic irony that we know it and she is completely oblivious. Which ends up into the next scene of Tyrion and Cersei discussing how miserable they are all going to be. The discussion about fringed sleeves did have a purpose other than being a gay character talking about fashion. In the books, a lot of hints about Renly was about how he was always so well dressed.

How would you write that scene to portray the same kind of character interaction?

flyover

He is too pretty. I was expecting an ugly bear, but they give us this Hollywood homely type. Nobody will believe this is a real bear.

Seriously. Like just because he has a ponytail and glasses we're supposed to believe he's ugly? I've seen She's All That. I know what's up!

Can't believe Emilia Clarke chose James Franco over me this time. What gives?!

Whelp! Fuck life (again)!
s0tJKQy.gif

----------------------------

This is awesome

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking. ASOS:
In the books Robb is married to Jeyne Westerling, breaking the vow he made to wed Walder Frey's daughter. This pissed off Frey, so as a compromise they decide to have Edmure marry a Frey daughter. This marriage is the Red Wedding. Robb was never going to annul his marriage or anything. The only thing different about this scenario in the show is that Robb is married to Talysa instead of Jeyne, otherwise it's pretty much identical. The Red Wedding was never Robb's wedding, it was always Edmure's.

Ah I get you, I'm totally misremembering the book then lol.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS:
My girlfriend was just telling me how happy she is that Robb is gonna have a baby.

There will not be enough popcorn .gifs

Also one thing people seem to forget about... events...
ASOS
Robb never should have HAD to enter into the marriage pact. Frey honor was shit already as they were already alligned to House Stark, but held the twins hostage to try and get more out of Robb.

Brashnir

There will not be enough popcorn .gifs

Also one thing people seem to forget about... events...
ASOS
Robb never should have HAD to enter into the marriage pact. Frey honor was shit already as they were already alligned to House Stark, but held the twins hostage to try and get more out of Robb.

While Walder Frey is technically a Tully bannerman, he has a reputation for being both false and prickly. It's a wonder he lived so long with that reputation.

Can you discreetly set up a camera in front of the TV?

This is why Kinect hacks exist.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, it does crap on the other part of my theory..
ASOS
That that fight will be skipped altogether and Jon and Summer will kill everyone at Queenscrown.

Lkr

i just finished AFFC. spoilers ahead for affc, don't feel like posting in the other thread since I still have to find a store that sells ADWD

holy shit the dornish are trying to find kelly c
i'm excited to see where the maester/sam storyline goes
cersei's downfall is something. like holy shit i was starting to like her a bit, so good job GRRM.
i giggled when Jaime met tom o'sevens and he said he knew "the rain song"
i feel bad for both jaime and brienne. no one believes them. i assume the end of her POV confirms she is dead

i am fucking sick of the goddamn outlaws. if GRRM didn't want an "evil" faction, he failed miserably. they just go around murdering everyone with their holier than thou shtick. catelyn is not some poor, innocent woman ffs. i really don't care who it is that kills them, even if it is a force i am not fond of, i just want to see it happen already. i loved brienne/jaime in asos, and although brienne's story started off rather dull in this book imo, it picked up steam and i was hoping that stoneheart would realize what she was really doing and team up with her. alas, i am not reading something written by jk rowling

sorry that my spoiler tag didn't work the first time, if you saw something, my sincerest apologies

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
i just finished AFFC. spoilers ahead for affc, don't feel like posting in the other thread since I still have to find a store that sells ADWD

i feel bad for both jaime and brienne. no one believes them. i assume the end of her POV confirms she is dead

AFFC
If Brienne is dead I will be very disappointed, because it makes Brienne's entire storyline a pointless thing. I don't mind killing a character for the sake of the story (like Ned), but killing Brienne would serve no purpose. No one cares about her.

Fey

Banned
AFFC
If Brienne is dead I will be very disappointed, because it makes Brienne's entire storyline a pointless thing. I don't mind killing a character for the sake of the story (like Ned), but killing Brienne would serve no purpose. No one cares about her.
series
we know she's not though based on ADWD, though, no?

finally found time to watch the newest episode and thought it was solid. i think gaf lowering my expectations helped with that. bear pit scene was disappointing but not as disappointing as i thought it would be.

concerning [major season 3+series spoilers]
talisa: has it been further discussed, the letter she was writing? i didn't get the sense that she's a spy ... and her being pregnant is just to make the RW and her death more emotional right? if so, GRRM is such a troll :p making the 'jeyne is pregnant' crowd feel happy about themselves only to rip it away in 3 weeks ...

concerning [major season 3+series spoilers]
talisa: has it been further discussed, the letter she was writing? i didn't get the sense that she's a spy ... and her being pregnant is just to make the RW and her death more emotional right? if so, GRRM is such a troll :p making the 'jeyne is pregnant' crowd feel happy about themselves only to rip it away in 3 weeks ...

[major season 3+series spoilers]
WHy do people keep saying Talisa is going to die? She(Jeyne) doesn't die in the books, and she may well still have Robb's child in her there. So I don't see why they would kill her in the show as well, especially if they actually make it obvious that she was in on it from the beginning. Makes sense that her and Edmure will both be kept as hostages.

dubq

AFFC
ADWD
Brienne is not dead. She makes an appearance post-AFFC timeline in that novel. Whatever the word was she said in AFFC apparently convinced the Brotherhood to spare her.

Fey

Banned
[major season 3+series spoilers]
WHy do people keep saying Talisa is going to die? She(Jeyne) doesn't die in the books, and she may well still have Robb's child in her there. So I don't see why they would kill her in the show as well, especially if they actually make it obvious that she was in on it from the beginning. Makes sense that her and Edmure will both be kept as hostages.
season 3/series
a gaf poster (i believe) reported it. it's possible she won't but if she's headed to the wedding i think it's true. if she doesn't have a significant role in the next books, it makes sense to kill her off, otherwise a storyline for her character would have to be created, or she would suddenly disappear from the show (she's a main character in the show, unlike the book; if she isn't killed, they will have to show what happens to her, like they're doing with theon, which would be pointless if she has no further role in the books/story). plus the theory that jeyne is pregnant holds no water since it came from the fact that her description is different in ASOS and ADWD, which GRRM and, i believe, his editor said was a mistake and unintentional.

cj_iwakura

season 3/series
a gaf poster (i believe) reported it. it's possible she won't but if she's headed to the wedding i think it's true. if she doesn't have a significant role in the next books, it makes sense to kill her off, otherwise a storyline for her character would have to be created, or she would suddenly disappear from the show (she's a main character in the show, unlike the book; if she isn't killed, they will have to show what happens to her, like they're doing with theon, which would be pointless if she has no further role in the books). plus the theory that jeyne is pregnant holds no water since it came from the fact that her description is different in ASOS and ADWD, which GRRM and, i believe, his editor said was a mistake and unintentional.

AFFC
But wasn't there a scene with her and Jaime in AFFC where she shows she kept his crown? Seems wasted to ruin that. I think she lives.

Dysun

So it seems that it's confirmed they are NOT doing the
attack on Castle Black
this season, based on some casting info for S4.

With only one day of filming at the Castle Black set this year, it was safe to say the end of Jon's arc would be his return
I dont expect Ygritte to die this year either and she'll be that "character that dies that lives" for now

ASOS
I predict/hope episode 8 will end with Stannis throwing the leeches in the fire (ending with "the usurper Robb Stark" cut to black) then episode 9 opens with Balon's death on the bridge and ends with Robb receiving his regards from Roose. Two kings in one episode. Oh, and the opening shot of episode 10 is zooming out of a shot of the Grey Wind/Robb hybrid

Fey

Banned
AFFC
But wasn't there a scene with her and Jaime in AFFC where she shows she kept his crown? Seems wasted to ruin that. I think she lives.
affc/dwd
i can't remember, was that scene significant? i know she appears in the books post-ASOS, but i can't recall her doing anything important.

cj_iwakura

ASOS
I predict/hope episode 8 will end with Stannis throwing the leeches in the fire (ending with "the usurper Robb Stark" cut to black) then episode 9 opens with Balon's death on the bridge and ends with Robb receiving his regards from Roose. Two kings in one episode. Oh, and the opening shot of episode 10 is zooming out of a shot of the Grey Wind/Robb hybrid

ASOS
That implies they'll save Cat for 10. No way. All in one go.

8 is possible, though. Seems like it might make TRW predictable though...

Speevy

Banned
Was the bear real in the sense that they used a real bear for putting the scene together, or because the actors were actually standing there with a real bear?

cj_iwakura

affc/dwd
i can't remember, was that scene significant? i know she appears in the books post-ASOS, but i can't recall her doing anything important.

Hardly significant, but heartwarming, and it showed she wasn't a total heartless traitor. Maybe she helps the north to redeem herself later on?

Ikael

Bart wasn't attractive enough compared to the book description.

What bothered me the most was the fact that we have one actual black character in the book with its own theme song to boot, and lo and behold, Hollywood had to go ahead and brown-ify it, SMH.

kirblar

Was the bear real in the sense that they used a real bear for putting the scene together, or because the actors were actually standing there with a real bear?
Real professional actor bear! I believe they merged the scenes together where he was attacking.

So it seems that it's confirmed they are NOT doing the
attack on Castle Black
this season, based on some casting info for S4.

I expected that all along. Ending this season with
Jon returning to Castle Black
was always the logical stopping place.

Both surprised and pleased that
Styr will be cast, and that we'll get the Thenns.
I think all of us had expected after this season's casting to never see the character.

Levi

Banned
ASOS

I doubt it'll happen like that. ASOS AFFC
You need to introduce the other Greyjoys soon after Balon's death, and they have not been cast yet. They either need to do his death off screen or save it for season 4 and cast Euron and Victarion. Chronologically, Euron shows up the day after Balon dies. This show doesn't do flashbacks, so the Iron Islands stuff from Feast needs to start in Season 4, get moved in time, or be heavily altered.

You need to introduce the other Greyjoys soon after Balon's death, and they have not been cast yet. They either need to do his death off screen or save it for season 4 and cast Euron and Victarion. Chronologically, Euron shows up the day after Balon dies. This show doesn't do flashbacks, so the Iron Islands stuff from Feast needs to start in Season 4, get moved in time, or be heavily altered.

(Series)
I think you can still fudge that slightly. Euron shows up the day after Balon dies, but we don't see him showing up, we hear about it second hand. At the same time as we hear about Balon's death, in fact. We can then see Aeron receiving the news about Balon's death early in Season 4 (the first or second episode). The show has had it take time for characters to learn about events before (such as Robb and Catelyn not finding out about Winterfell burning right away). I think it makes a lot of sense to have Balon die this season, mention his pirate brother has returned, and then have us see the Kingsmoot and the lead up to that with Aeron and Victarion next season.

Iksenpets

Banned

I think they can work around that. AFFC
Have it so that Balon dies this season and Yara sets out to go make her claim as queen, and when she gets there she learns that Euron has already arrived and seized power. Victarion shows up and Aeron proposes the kingsmoot, and then we're good to go. Also, if they really want to stick to the chronology of the books, Balon does die before Robb.

ASOS
That implies they'll save Cat for 10. No way. All in one go.

8 is possible, though. Seems like it might make TRW predictable though...

Oh, I meant the whole Wedding affair, not just Robb's death. I just wrote it like that to emphasize that both kings die

season 3/series
a gaf poster (i believe) reported it. it's possible she won't but if she's headed to the wedding i think it's true. if she doesn't have a significant role in the next books, it makes sense to kill her off, otherwise a storyline for her character would have to be created, or she would suddenly disappear from the show (she's a main character in the show, unlike the book; if she isn't killed, they will have to show what happens to her, like they're doing with theon, which would be pointless if she has no further role in the books/story). plus the theory that jeyne is pregnant holds no water since it came from the fact that her description is different in ASOS and ADWD, which GRRM and, i believe, his editor said was a mistake and unintentional.

SOS
It would make zero sense to make her character suspicious now, only to kill her off at the very location she is betraying him. And her pregnancy is now retcon official on the show due to GRRM's writing, so there is no reason it couldn't be in the book. Edmure also plays next to no role, does that mean he too is going to be killed? And Blackfish? I think this falls in the same category as theories that Shae and Ygrrite won't die now either. Fans are overthinking the writers. Robb and Cat are plenty enough of a gutpunch.

awm8604

Banned
I need to get going on the books. I just finished the first. Luckily the semester just ended and I have some time to read.

I'm too lost with all the characters and storylines going on. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom