• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

For those who have done a reread, have you also felt way different than the first read? It's pretty amazing how although I expected to find things I missed, how different I perceive things with all the hindsight I now have. I'm on Sansa's chapter when she tells the queen she's going to write the letters and man how pissed am I at Sansa right now for her cluelessness. I also cannot believe how many mistakes Ned made, just blows my mind. Anyway, I've actually never re-read a book in my life so close to the first time I read it but the way I feel about everything is so different. I'm also re-pissed at Jaime after growing to like him so much.

Yeah the hindsight does influence it a LOT. I especially agree with you on Ned.
When I first read it, I still thought he was the main protagonist who would survive no matter what... the second time I was like: Jesus Christ Ned....for fuck sake...don't do THIS, don't do THAT....oh God.....don't you see this will end bad for you???!!!

Yeah the hindsight does influence it a LOT. I especially agree with you on Ned.
When I first read it, I still thought he was the main protagonist who would survive no matter what... the second time I was like: Jesus Christ Ned....for fuck sake...don't do THIS, don't do THAT....oh God.....don't you see this will end bad for you???!!!

Haha, I edited it out as I planned to put this in the book thread but yeah, every misstep is so aggravating!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
HBO has released a few screens from this Sunday's episode. (Pretty spoiler free in my mind)

Screenshot 3 is making all excited about [ASoS]
Tyrion trying to put his cloak on Sansa and she doesn't kneel to help him at all. I've been looking forward to that ever since the second season when it was clear Sophie was a giant.
:lol

Only thing I hope about that screenshot is that [ASoS]
Tyrion doesn't use that stool instead of standing on Dontos.

exYle

tumblr_lscs4egd471r0zakfo1_500.jpg

dubq

I'm quite certain it took time in their present time for the people living it here too.
Except that people didn't start calling it the Middle Ages (or the medieval era) until the 19th century. Ie: 400 years later.

The argument is pointless.

dubq is right that it would be a poor explanation if, for their first exposure to the material, someone had ASoIaF/GoT described to them simply as "it's in medieval times." But if someone were describing the series as "like medieval Europe, but set in a separate, fictional world," then there's nothing at all wrong with that.

Anything beyond that is merely a failure of communication taking place.
Exactly this. Thank you.

dubq

I am taking the term medieval quite literally when I get annoyed by this, btw. Medieval is a Latin term used to describe the Middle Ages that took place on our planet. I have no problem if someone says its like medieval times. It's when they equate it to that is what annoys me. Sorry for derailing the last page. :(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Preview/ASOS
There is a Strong Sexual Content and Nudity tag for the upcoming episode...

If they do that scene, it'll be interesting to see what the context is because they haven't really touched her loneliness in the show.
You're giving me hope for something that I had accepted wouldn't happen.

tino

Banned
Medieval specifically refers to Earth's middle ages. 5th to 15th centuries in Europe. There is none of that in Westeros, as the story is taking place in present time, for them.

No, sorry but inspired by is one thing - specifically saying that the story takes place during "Medieval Times" is misleading as well as completely and unequivocally incorrect. Also - everyone knows that GRRM was inspired by the War of the Roses. That doesn't make the terminology somehow correct. Star Wars was inspired in large part by Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. Does that make it correct for me to say it takes place in the 16th century feudal Japan? Or that it takes place in the Sengoku period, but in space? Nope.

I think it makes perfect sense. The whole conecpt of slaughter the whole family of your rivalry but leave and daughtor to merry your kin so you can claim their land was from middle age. This actually happened.

Also, War of Roses. Middle ages.

Trasher

Preview/ASOS

If they do that scene, it'll be interesting to see what the context is because they haven't really touched her loneliness in the show.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Enosh

Preview/ASOS

yeah like they ever needed context ^^
but I think it will just be them talking around the bath -.-

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Preview/ASOS

Dear gods, please, no. I guess it'd be canon sex for once, but the whole nudity quota nonsense is just laughable enough already... -_-

Dear gods, please, no. I guess it'd be canon sex for once, but the whole nudity quota nonsense is just laughable enough already... -_-

I think the nudity this year has hasn't been overdone and gratuitous with the possible exception being Theon's scene from ep 7, that was a bit much.

Haven't really heard the gratuitous nudity complaints at all this year either, which were pretty common in the first two seasons.

dubq

Oh grow up. You've obviously read the books, yet somehow the tame-by-HBO-standards-nudity in this show makes you barf? I wonder how you got through any of the many chapters that describe Tyrion's cock, in detail, in ASOS.

I think the nudity this year has hasn't been overdone and gratuitous with the possible exception being Theon's scene from ep 7, that was a bit much.

Haven't really heard the gratuitous nudity complaints at all this year either, which were pretty common in the first two seasons.

Yeah, they've really toned down on that front.

Mostly by cutting out the sexposition, something I think everyone is happy about. I have no problem with the nudity on the show now, especially because it usually makes sense with the context of the scenes.

Yeah, they've really toned down on that front.

Mostly by cutting out the sexposition, something I think everyone is happy about. I have no problem with the nudity on the show now, especially because it usually makes sense with the context of the scenes.

Sometimes it made sense othertimes it felt like they had a titty quota they gotta meet...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh grow up. You've obviously read the books, yet somehow the tame-by-HBO-standards-nudity in this show makes you barf?
Where did I say it "made me barf"? If you're talking of what I said about that Loras scene, it's because the dudes were unattractive, not because it was sexual. :p

I wonder how you got through any of the many chapters that describe Tyrion's cock, in detail, in ASOS.
I don't have a problem with sex or nudity when it serves plot or character development purposes instead of cheap, gratuitous titillation and meeting a stupid boob quota. But thanks for so disingenuously missing the point, I guess.

Noema

I thought it was very heavy handed telegraphing. FWTW I got that vide when I was read the book too. ASOS
I was so aware of something really terrible was going to happen I went aheard and spoiled myself on wikipedia because I didn't want to deal the emotional truama. The fake death in 2nd book really pissed me off for some reason.

ASOS
I knew something horrible was going to happen because a) Catelyn kept mentioning how prickly Walder Frey was, over and over and b) how she kept insisting that Robb get something to eat / drink as soon as they got to the Twins so that they could be granted Guest Right as protection. And c) Grey Wind freaking out. Usually in ASoIF the Direwolves are always right. And then during the wedding I started to relax, since at one point it seemed that the worst thing that would happen was that the wedding was simply lame and farcical for everyone involved, with bad food and bad music. And then BAM "The Lannisters send their regards"

dubq seems to enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.
How dare you call a medieval fantasy show medieval fantasy!
How dare you not enjoy every sex scene!

Linius

It's the hair that does it right? :p

Trying to find a normal pic taken by some press dude for to get a better look at Maisie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom