• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Like Davos pointed out, if he was truly convinced they wouldn't be having that conversation in the first place.

Well I think the point there was that he wanted to be specifically talked out of sacrificing Gendry, not out of the entire Lord of Light thing.

gdt

One missed opportunity was having Stannos say Robb's name last....that leech scene had none of the weight it carried in the book.

One missed opportunity was having Stannos say Robb's name last....that leech scene had none of the weight it carried in the book.

I actually liked that particular change. [ASoS]
The transition from Stannis burning that last leech and saying Joffrey's name last to Joffrey sitting at the wedding made a nice fake out, making you think Joffrey was going to start choking on his wine or something. If they played up Robb's name last like the books, I think it would seem too ominous. The leech scene happens a good deal earlier relatively in the books as I recall, so I sort of forgot about it by the time kings started dying. The scene seemed kind of rushed though.

Another odd thing I've noticed are the opening credits locations. Like, we didn't go to Riverrun or Harrenhal at all this episode. We did go to Dragonstone, yet they haven't been showing that this season. Why? Why didn't they show any locations beyond the Wall? Minor annoyance I guess.

Sam forgot to pick up that dagger!
I'm going to blame poor editing on that scene. He'll have the dagger later. Pity there's no way he'll be "Sam the Slayer" to his Brothers.

Also I couldn't stop looking at Daario's fucked up teeth.
Careful, GAF doesn't like anti-dentites.

Kinda disappointing that the Other was the same one as the one at the end of season 2, though.

Why not reuse digital assets? Money's better spent elsewhere.

Nice episode; seemed to go by really quick, though. Jack Gleeson really is good as Joffrey, you just hate the kid soooo much.

Pretty much. Daario decides it's stupid to go against Danaerys, thinks she's a total babe, and kills the leaders. I think there are more mercenary bands around and he kills all of their leaders, not just his own. I may be wrong on that one.

Nope, it's pretty much identical. Just one merc company. The only real difference is that they're called the Stormcrows in the book, not the Second Sons. I guess the show figured that another group called "crows" might be confusing? [minor ADWD spoiler]
A merc group called the Second Sons also exists in the books later, so maybe they're combining the two or something.
. Also, the Stormcrows are a lot smaller in the books, only about 500 men instead of 2,000. Other than that, it's all about the same.

EDIT: Wait, I got it wrong. Dubq got it a few posts down.

3rdman

Warning

Spoiler regarding the crows up to ADWD
The crows are tied with the old religion/Children of the Forest/The first men. They were helping Sam.... Much like the one crow is helping Bran. Whomever is controlling them now is using them to protect Sam. Not suggesting Sam is still alive by ADWD either, just making the point that the crows help certain people throughout the books.

AFFC?
It's been a while...but I believe the crows were agents of Coldhands. The crows (under his control) attacked/distracted the Others while they (Sam, Gilly, and Coldhands) escaped into the forest.

Re-reading your post, you are probably being deliberately coy...so, dear readers, be warned...spoilers ahoy!

tauroxd

Needs golden mustachios
tumblr_mcs0tcFDKO1r1si4po1_r1_400.jpg

As awesome as your post in the only TV thread.

Blatz

Anybody else notice the Joffrey/Sansa scene. Joffrey says it doesn't matter which Lannister does the deed (consummate). You think that was a slip-up on the writers part, since he is "supposed" to be a Baratheon?

Why not reuse digital assets? Money's better spent elsewhere.

Sure, but I would've loved to see another White Walker instead of the one we saw last season.

Anybody else notice the Joffrey/Sansa scene. Joffrey says it doesn't matter which Lannister does the deed (consummate). You think that was a slip-up on the writers part, since he is "supposed" to be a Baratheon?

I think he also considers himself to be a Lannister, really. He hated his 'father', he hates his 'uncles', he probably would do away with the Baratheon sigil completely if he could.

I'm going to blame poor editing on that scene. He'll have the dagger later. Pity there's no way he'll be "Sam the Slayer" to his Brothers.

ASOS
Gilly will tell Pyp or Gren, and bam, before you know it: Sam the Slayer.

cj_iwakura

Sure, but I would've loved to see another White Walker instead of the one we saw last season.

I think he also considers himself to be a Lannister, really. He hated his 'father', he hates his 'uncles', he probably would do away with the Baratheon sigil completely if he could.

ASOS
Gilly will tell Pyp or Gren, and bam, before you know it: Sam the Slayer.

There's a few indications he respected his father, even if he didn't like him.

Man, that interview should've been with him in costume. How freaky would it have been to see him talk like that. :lol

There's a few indications he respected his father, even if he didn't like him.

Yeah, but Robert didn't particularly care for him, either. Kept wondering what he did wrong to end up with a kid like that.

Selner

Not quite sure how to spoiler-box this, so I'll just do the whole bit:

[ASOS]
The title of the Huffington's post re-cap of Ep 8 is "The Wedding from Hell". I about spat tea all over my computer I was laughing so hard. You know nothing Huffington Post recap guy!

I am going to see my brother this weekend, both him and his wife are watching and have not read the books. Should be an interesting weekend.

Wut. The only time he's ever been remotely likable was back in Season 1 when he was devastated with his father dying. And seems incredibly offended at the thought of not being his son.

He may be a cunt, but the reason he wants to be a great warrior is that he wants to be just like daddy.

dubq

Yes but burning leeches??

IIRC in the book the leeches happened before the shadow baby stuff and seeing things in flames so he had less reason to believe, but I could be wrong.
Uhn, you are an entire book off base. The Shadow is birthed in book two ACOK, and the leeches happen after that in book three ASOS. Melisandre and "seeing things in flames" are also introduced in book two.

Nope, it's pretty much identical. Just one merc company. The only real difference is that they're called the Stormcrows in the book, not the Second Sons. I guess the show figured that another group called "crows" might be confusing? [minor ADWD spoiler]
A merc group called the Second Sons also exists in the books later, so maybe they're combining the two or something.
. Also, the Stormcrows are a lot smaller in the books, only about 500 men instead of 2,000. Other than that, it's all about the same.

In the ASOS there are two companies.
Stormcrows and Second Sons. BOTH are hired by Yunkai for protection. Daario kills his fellow Stormcrow captains and brings them to Dany's side, but Mero and the Second Sons fight for Yunkai. Mero is later killed by Selmey.
ADWD
Second Sons show up again during Tyron's story arc.

Wut. The only time he's ever been remotely likable was back in Season 1 when he was devastated with his father dying. And seems incredibly offended at the thought of not being his son.

He may be a cunt, but the reason he wants to be a great warrior is that he wants to be just like daddy.

Very much possible I'm remembering it wrong. I remember him making some hateful comments about his father later on? If not, I'm wrong, and I apologize.

Gvaz

Banned

No he wont. Children of the forest were the ones making the daggers, and in the book it breaks later when he tries using it on a wight. So it's "lost" permanently, likely.

Uhn, you are an entire book off base. The Shadow is birthed in book two ACOK, and the leeches happen after that in book three ASOS. Melisandre and "seeing things in flames" are also introduced in book two.

In the ASOS there are two companies.
Stormcrows and Second Sons. BOTH are hired by Yunkai for protection. Daario kills his fellow Stormcrow captains and brings them to Dany's side, but Mero and the Second Sons fight for Yunkai. Mero is later killed by Selmey.
ADWD
Second Sons show up again during Tyron's story arc.

Aaah, that's right. Cool.

No he wont. Children of the forest were the ones making the daggers, and in the book it breaks later when he tries using it on a wight. So it's "lost" permanently, likely.

Nope.

It doesn't break. He drops it, and Gren tries to pick it up, but it's too cold.

Unless I'm thinking of something else!

Not a slip-up. He's Joffrey of the houses Baratheon and Lannister. His sigil is both a stag and a lion. It wouldn't be too different from Robb Stark calling himself a Tully. Also, for the other poster, Joffrey didn't hate Robert. He basically worshiped his "father" and made fun of Tywin for hiding out in Casterly Rock while Robert led the rebellion.

dubq

Nope.

You are.
Later, the dagger is used on a wight/zombie and breaks on it's chain mail. The daggers themselves are very fragile.

Not a slip-up. He's Joffrey of the houses Baratheon and Lannister. His sigil is both a stag and a lion. It wouldn't be too different from Robb Stark calling himself a Tully. Also, for the other poster, Joffrey didn't hate Robert. He basically worshiped his "father" and made fun of Tywin for hiding out in Casterly Rock while Robert led the rebellion.

Well, I can't be right all of the time.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nope.

[ASoS]
You guys are talking about two different events. When Sam kills the Other with the blade it doesn't break. He drops it and it's too cold for Gren to pick it up right away but he does a bit later and Sam tells him to keep it. Later, when Sam and Gilly are attacked by a bunch of Wights he tries to stab one of them and it breaks in it's armour. He only gets away when he sets him on fire.

only tv guy, just a quick question for all you book readers. please answer without major spoilers: there are so many people with power in this world, people like Jaqen H'ghar, and other magicians or priests or whatever. how come a normal ordinary family like the baratheons/lannisters rule westeros? is there or will there be an explanation for that?

Massa

ASOS
The Tywin story is an episode 10 spoiler.

only tv guy, just a quick question for all you book readers. please answer without major spoilers: there are so many people with power in this world, people like Jaqen H'ghar, and other magicians or priests or whatever. how come a normal ordinary family like the baratheons/lannisters rule westeros? is there or will there be an explanation for that?

It is implied in the show that the resurgence of magic and dragons and the White Walkers is a relatively new thing.

Brashnir

ASOS
The Tywin story is an episode 10 spoiler.

It is implied in the show that the resurgence of magic and dragons and the White Walkers is a relatively new thing.

This, and even more than that, it's a simple plot device. At the beginning of the story, Magic is rare and exotic. Sticking all of the magical creatures on another continent and behind a giant wall reinforces this.

The Westerosi are supposed to have forgotten about magic.

Definitely.

As described in the books, Daario is thoroughly ridiculous and repulsive. Daenerys' attraction to him never made any sense to me.

And it's definitely worked, Tarzan is my girlfriend's favorite new character.

Well I think the point there was that he wanted to be specifically talked out of sacrificing Gendry, not out of the entire Lord of Light thing.
One and the same. He's worried that following the lord of light will force him to abandon the values he's held his whole life, but he's seen so much power coming from it that it's hard for him to deny. He's struggling with his desire to be king and the desire to hold onto himself. Melisandre and Davos as advisors are kind of like Jorah and Barristan in that sense.

So i've got a theory regarding next week's episode..

ASOS Spoilers
So, I'm just wondering how the RW will play out, but also how will Talisa get involved. We've seen evidence that she'll make an appearance it seems, and I've thought about the fact that Aegon Frey probably won't make an appearance. So I'm gonna speculate that Talisa will be outed as the spy, and Cat will be the one to hold Talisa hostage with the blade, and of course, Walder will say, she means nothing to me, and.. you know the rest...

Thoughts?

Accidentally posted this in the other thread.. good thing I removed it instantly, hope no one saw >.<

Dysun

Looks like from the Episode 8 recap
Sam will appear again in Episode 9, have to think that's Coldhands. episode 9 hype+

Fonds

How come nobody is outraged at gendry even being present at dragonstone?
Is Martin going to have to write his way out of that one now or what?

How come nobody is outraged at gendry even being present at dragonstone?
Is Martin going to have to write his way out of that one now or what?

Huh? Seems like one of the smartest changes.

ASOS
All kings die. Mel wants to sacrifice him. Davos smuggles him out. He goes back to the inn with Hot Pie. He meets Brienne again.

Fonds

Huh? Seems like one of the smartest changes.

ASOS
All kings die. Mel wants to sacrifice him. Davos smuggles him out. He goes back to the inn with Hot Pie. He meets Brienne again.

I don't see how it's a smart change. In the books it's edric storm being leeched. Gendry wasn't even close to dragonstone. Now somehow he was to make it to that castle and edrics leeching makes... what kind of sense?

ASOS:
Well shit, my girlfriend kind of ruined the RW. After Stannis threw in the leeches she looked at me and said, "Robb's gonna die in the next episode, just like Renly" (his name was first). I did my best to keep a straight face and tried to convince her I don't think this is the same thing.

I don't see how it's a smart change. In the books it's edric storm being leeched. Gendry wasn't even close to dragonstone. Now somehow he was to make it to that castle and edrics leeching makes... what kind of sense?

So instead of introducing a minor character who doesn't do anything at all before or after, they use a character already known by the audience who doesn't do anything in that timeframe, and that's a bad change?

Dysun

Look at it this way, Gendry doesn't do anything for quite some time in the books after he separates from Arya. Edric Storm is a bastard of Robert, just like Gendry. Why cast another actor when you can use an existing one with no story left to explore? The only conflict here is that he wont be able to go back to the Brotherhood now that they've sold him out so easily.

Eidan

It allows the showrunners to tell the exact same story without introducing the audience to a new character. The show is already inundated with complaints from people having trouble keeping track of the characters. Using a character the audience already knows, whose fate they are already invested in, is smart no matter how you look at it. It's so smart that I wish Martin had done it.

Looks like from the Episode 8 recap
Sam will appear again in Episode 9, have to think that's Coldhands. episode 9 hype+

I was thinking the same thing to be honest. I can't help but think that
Benjen will pre represented as Cold hands on the show... whether or not he is Coldhands in the book does not matter I don't think.

Is it true that there's no new episode next week, or am I totally confused? I was sure I read somewhere that there would be an extra week's gap between #8 and #9.

Yeah, no ep next Sunday. Memorial Day weekend plays havoc on the ratings.

Oohhh, you were talking about the release of the episode. I should've said "next episode" not "next week".

I was referring to 3x09 though, obviously.

Yeah, I was just playing around :)

Let's be honest: Most show viewers can barely keep track of the main cast as it is. 90% of them wouldn't even know who Gendry is off hand, let alone Edric Storm if they introduced him out of nowhere. The writers are consolidating characters because there's already too many characters for the average viewer to keep track of. Seriously, have you been to the "No Book Spoilers" thread lately? It's painful.

Dysun

Let's be honest: Most show viewers can barely keep track of the main cast as it is. 90% of them wouldn't even know who Gendry is off hand, let alone Edric Storm if they introduced him out of nowhere. The writers are consolidating characters because there's already too many characters for the average viewer to keep track of. Seriously, have you been to the "No Book Spoilers" thread lately? It's painful.

Painful? Wait two weeks!
Heh

Fonds

I'm not worried for the tv series it works there I agree. I'm jut worried for the books.
I just don't want Martin having to adjust to the series. I'd rather see it the other way around.

The two story lines are too different to make sense at a later point, only option I see is Martin having to make adjustments.

methodman

Banned
I'm not worried for the tv series it works there I agree. I'm jut worried for the books.
I just don't want Martin having to adjust to the series. I'd rather see it the other way around.

The two story lines are too different to make sense at a later point, only option I see is Martin having to make adjustments.

if that helps martin quicken his pace, so be it. guy probably takes more shits per day than he writes words for his books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom