• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidan

I'm not worried for the tv series it works there I agree. I'm jut worried for the books.
I just don't want Martin having to adjust to the series. I'd rather see it the other way around.

The two story lines are too different to make sense at a later point, only option I see is Martin having to make adjustments.

What makes you think Martin will change something in the books because of the show?

The books are the books.

The show is the show.

Massa

Looks like from the Episode 8 recap
Sam will appear again in Episode 9, have to think that's Coldhands. episode 9 hype+

Yep.
Hopefully right in the opening as Sam and Gilly are still running from the dead white walker. People will probably curse Sam for forgetting the dagger when they see Coldhands, then he'll reveal himself...

ASOS:
Well shit, my girlfriend kind of ruined the RW. After Stannis threw in the leeches she looked at me and said, "Robb's gonna die in the next episode, just like Renly" (his name was first). I did my best to keep a straight face and tried to convince her I don't think this is the same thing.

ASOS
Your gf may think she knows what's up, but there's no preparing for what's going down in episode 9.

I don't understand how he'd need to make any changes?

ASOS&AFFC
Davos smuggles Edric out for safety, and will presumably do the same with Gendry. Why wouldn't it end with Gendry going to the same inn he's during AFFC?

Massa

Yes it has, but I cant recall an encouter where the original series was going to have to make adjustments because of the tv series that followed it.

GRRM barely adapts to the TV show even when he's writing episodes for it. Blackwater still had the chain in it, for example.

The show could turn everyone into martians and Martin wouldn't bat an eye. He's said so himself, neither the show nor the fans or his editors are going to keep him from telling the story he wants at the pace he wants.

I'm not worried for the tv series it works there I agree. I'm jut worried for the books.
I just don't want Martin having to adjust to the series. I'd rather see it the other way around.

The two story lines are too different to make sense at a later point, only option I see is Martin having to make adjustments.

Don't the show runners know the entire series outline? I don't see why martin would have to adjust to the series... we just might get info faster from the show.
Like with Gendry being important and Edric not

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So i've got a theory regarding next week's episode..

ASOS Spoilers
So, I'm just wondering how the RW will play out, but also how will Talisa get involved. We've seen evidence that she'll make an appearance it seems, and I've thought about the fact that Aegon Frey probably won't make an appearance. So I'm gonna speculate that Talisa will be outed as the spy, and Cat will be the one to hold Talisa hostage with the blade, and of course, Walder will say, she means nothing to me, and.. you know the rest...

Thoughts?

Accidentally posted this in the other thread.. good thing I removed it instantly, hope no one saw >.<
[ASoS]
Talisa getting Jinglebell's death? I could live with that.

Selner

[ASoS]
Talisa getting Jinglebell's death? I could live with that.

[ASOS]
I must have missed the whole rumor stuff about Talisa/Jeyne dying. I'm not sure I'm a fan of that.

But her taking the place of Jinglebell? I think it still needs to be a Frey, so Cat can have the attempt at an exchange. Even if Talisa is a spy, Lord Frey wouldn't care about her and Cat would actually want to kill her.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";58234728]The show could turn everyone into martians and Martin wouldn't bat an eye. He's said so himself, neither the show nor the fans or his editors are going to keep him from telling the story he wants at the pace he wants.[/QUOTE]

You know what might be a decent analogy?

Katsuhiro Otomo and "Akira."

He adapted his still unfinished work to film, and made the changes necessary to compact the storyline to get where he needed to go in the 2+ hours he had.

It didn't change or affect the storytelling for his manga at all, and he finished the story he was telling there after the film released. They both go the same general direction, but travel different paths to get there.

He has said he really likes the show's take on Osha better. I bet [series]
when we see her again, book Osha will change a little and be influenced by show Osha.
In fact , I guarantee he enjoyed giving show Osha some background in his episode.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As described in the books, Daario is thoroughly ridiculous and repulsive. Daenerys' attraction to him never made any sense to me.
Because women are only ever attracted to conventionally handsome pretty boys, right? -_- God forbid there's a woman with tastes in men that fall outside of the norm...

Trasher

Some of the other "spoilers" are way worse. I really hope they aren't true.

SPOILERS/LEAK/FAKE WHO KNOWS BE CAREFUL THOUGH

Tywin and Shae have sex but it's "tastefully done." It's intercut during the Tyrion/Sansa wedding. Tywin and Shae are doing it doggstyle.
Coldhands is confirmed to be Waymar Royce
No Sam the Slayer this episode.
Balon falls off a bridge and dies. He has a funeral after the leeches scene and Asha is there.
Roose stops at the Dreadfort to meet Ramsay
Lysa is in next week's episode.
Bath scene between Missandei and Emilia but no nudity.
Cersei does not tell the story behind Rains of Castamere. Cersei's quote is her talking about the sack of King's Landing.

Thank god these were all wrong by the way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's depressing to see so much Sam bashing in the other thread. This was supposed to be Sam's most crucial and best moment, the one time where Sam, despite being a huge coward, does something awesome. Yet everyone's focused on the dagger dropping... it's ironic because while I did notice he dropped the dagger, it didn't phase me much, and my boyfriend and I thought Sam was almost too brave in that scene. In the book he's just struggling desperately against the Other and pretty much accidentally kills it by blindly shoving the dagger in.
So we thought Sam was almost too badass, yet the non-readers think he was too weak and stupid. lol... Did D&D screw up again? :p
He has said he really likes the show's take on Osha better. I bet [series]
when we see her again, book Osha will change a little and be influenced by show Osha.
In fact , I guarantee he enjoyed giving show Osha some background in his episode.
Yeah, I don't know why though. His Osha is so much better than TV-Osha. TV-Osha's okay, but I preferred the older, tougher, dignified and no-nonsense Osha a lot more.

SomeOrangeGuy

Neo Member
That scene between Cersei and Margaery is a great example of when the show both changes and improves upon events in the books. ASOS
Margaery is heard about but almost never seen until she's getting ready for her wedding to Joffrey. Actually giving her a personality and motivations makes a scene like this one possible
, where Cersei can just outpour her utter distain for the Tyrells without fear of retribution. It was so absolutely delicious.

But what I liked even more was that same scene gave us an overdue explanation of the meaning behind "The Rains of Castamere". How many viewers even realize they've been hearing the song since Tyrion whistled it walking through King's Landing in the first episode of Season 2? Or sung by Bronn at the start of Season 2 Episode 9, or over the actual cover version credits after Stannis's failed siege? And, my god, Cersei uses it as a very open threat against the entire Tyrell family. But, of course, ASOS
the song is going to be an incredibly important feature in the next episode, and I love that the show saved its significance for the last possible moment
. Talk about a slow burn.

And then the leeches! Oh man... dat Melisandre and Gendry scene. ASOS
Edric Storm was so forgettable in the books, I didn't even remember for sure if he was the source of the blood for the leeches, but watching the show I realize he must have been. I'm pretty sure he wasn't present for that scene, nor was Davos. These changes, I like them very much

Last week felt like the episode of everything that wasn't in the book. This week felt like "this is how the show can be 10x better", and makes me so disgracefully excited for the next episode.

The only thing I'm not sure about yet is ASOS
replacing Willas with Loras
. It led to a great moment between him and Cersei, but ASOS
Loras was a knight of the King's Guard from the get-go in the books
, whereas he's just hanging around enjoying court. I thought for sure the significance of the scene between Twin and Olenna was that ASOS
she would refuse Tywin's offer, and rather see her only heir in the King's Guard than marry Cersei, thus bringing Loras in line with his book version. But it seems like Willas doesn't even exist, making Loras the only true heir to Highgarden, and putting the Tyrells right where Tywin wants them
. Maybe ASOS
Loras deliberately decides to join the King's Guard in order to escape Cersei? His sense of duty to his family might not allow that
. Or maybe Cersei AFFC
successfully sends off the Knight of Flowers on a foolish siege so he's either dead or too crippled to see the wedding through
. I honestly don't know what to expect yet, which is pretty refreshing.

That and the whole
Lannister Honeypot theory with Talisa
. I would appreciate that twist of the knife very much... no pun intended.

It's depressing to see so much Sam bashing in the other thread. This was supposed to be Sam's most crucial and best moment, the one time where Sam, despite being a huge coward, does something awesome. Yet everyone's focused on the dagger dropping... it's ironic because while I did notice he dropped the dagger, it didn't phase me much, and my boyfriend and I thought Sam was almost too brave in that scene. In the book he's just struggling desperately against the Other and pretty much accidentally kills it by blindly shoving the dagger in.
So we thought Sam was almost too badass, yet the non-readers think he was too weak and stupid. lol... Did D&D screw up again? :p

Yeah, I don't know why though. His Osha is so much better than TV-Osha. TV-Osha's okay, but I preferred the older, tougher, dignified and no-nonsense Osha a lot more.

Naw. My non-book reading friends thought he was awesome.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't understand the complaints that Sam is still fat.

They don't eat terribly at the Wall and there are likely extras at the cafeteria. I wouldn't say the food is gourmet, but it doesn't sound all that bad either. Sam is a Steward, the most physical activity he would be getting is the march they were on recently.

I didn't think he lost any weight in the books until Series Spoilers:
Sam goes on the boat to Old Town. He could have ate a lot on the Summer Islander boat (I believe it was described that he was eating a lot of fruit), but on boats you are generally trying to conserve what is eat.

Trasher

Within my circle of friends, Sam is quite the source of conflict when discussing POV characters that we like/dislike. I've always enjoyed his chapters, but I definitely wouldn't consider him one of my favorite characters. A lot of my friends really hate his chapters and don't find him very interesting though. I've just never understood where the hate comes from. And now it's interesting to see the same opinions coming from Show Watchers.

You think so? I agree with you on most of the show vs book characters, especially Stannis, but Osha is one of those I definitely prefer on the show. Thoros too. And Jorah.

I feel like they could have easily shut up those people bashing Sam for not grabbing the dagger by either having the dagger shatter or otherwise render it unusable somehow. Or in addition to the single White Walker, have a bunch of Wights descending on the cabin as well, such that it makes their escape more urgent. Or just show that Sam had a whole bag of those daggers/arrowheads.

I thought it was awesome though. I still hope that [ASoS]
we get Coldhands and the Wight attack somehow though. Its actually relevant too since Sam tries to kill the Wight with the obsidian but it doesn't work and has to use fire. Although, did the obsidian not work on the Wight that attacks him in the book because its just a Wight or does the obsidian get caught on chainmail or armor? Can't remember.

Then again, maybe the show needs to clarify to people the difference between a White Walker/Other and a Wight, since people seem to confuse that pretty frequently.

Eidan

Nah, Sam just sucks.

duckroll

Okay there are some strong positives in this week's episode:

- "Or you'll be fucking your own wife with a wooden cock!"

- Mel takes her clothes off again, and strips Gendry too! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

- Daario got Dany to take her clothes off again! Mmmmmmmm. Too bad he didn't take his off yet. >_<

- No Theon! Yesssssssssss.

Too bad the episode had to end with a really terrible FX shot of an ice zombie from a PS1 FMV shattering after being stabbed from behind (x2 damage) by a Blessed Dagger of Holy Aura +2 (6 base damage, x2 against undead). :D

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I thought the Other falling apart looked very nice and I'm constantly utterly baffled by the complaints about this show's CGI. Please show me a television show with better CG.

Majmun

Is it just me, or are Dany's boobs asymmetric? One nipple is bigger than the other, and one breast hangs lower.

Mel's boobs are far superior imo. Just perfect.

CassSept

Wut. The shattering was totally CG. How is the complaint baseless.

Your complaint sounds like you generally compared the Other to ice zombies from PS1 FMV.

Which is ridiculous if you consider it's a practical effect. You and some others basically called a real thing a terrible CGI. Huh.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You think so? I agree with you on most of the show vs book characters, especially Stannis, but Osha is one of those I definitely prefer on the show. Thoros too. And Jorah.

Yeah. I dunno, can someone explain to me what's so cool about TV-Osha? When she surrenders to the Starks in S1 she looks all wretched, groveling all pathetically. In the novels she just falls on her knees reluctantly and says "Mercy, m'lords.". I thought that was badass and dignified.
TV-Osha is generally all quirky and tries too hard to look "wild", instead of just being a hardened traveller. And there aren't enough slightly older (late 30's/early 40's) female characters.

I'd say the TV versions I prefer are probably Margaery (she just doesn't do much in the books), Varys, Davos, Sallador Saan... that's probably it. xD

Am I the only one that can't stand Emilia Clarke? She seems so anoying and it's like they are not even trying anymore to make her anything other than "looking hot".

People complain about Kit Harington , but at least he sells the key moments of the series.

And a bit spoiler talk [ASOS]
I'm at a loss how the show spends so much time on Dany? It is not like they have a lot of good material for her left and the are completly wasting the "two sides of the same coin" narrative she and Jon share in the books in regards to being forced to grow up to become leaders and both of them messing up in different fields. And Robb would have need much more room in this season and series as a whole, as his exit is next week and even as we NEVER spent any time in his head during the books I was way more investend in his journey in the books than I'm in the series. Despite the actor being very good ...

duckroll

Your complaint sounds like you generally compared the Other to ice zombies from PS1 FMV.

Which is ridiculous if you consider it's a practical effect. You and some others basically called a real thing a terrible CGI. Huh.

Who said FMV has to be CG? Not my fault you have poor imagination!

Am I the only one that can't stand Emilia Clarke? She seems so anoying and it's like they are not even trying anymore to make her anything other than "looking hot".

Nah, that's pretty much her since season 1. She's just not a very good actress, and the role isn't particularly good either, since she's an unbearable character in the books too. Lol.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I thought the Other falling apart looked very nice and I'm constantly utterly baffled by the complaints about this show's CGI. Please show me a television show with better CG.

That's the thing isnt it, people are expecting more from it. A double edged sword, it's so good you forget it's just a TV show. It's a TV show and doesn't have a budget of a AAA movie.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The shattering sword didn't look too hot, but that's a pretty trifling complaint.

Eidan

People complain about Kit Harington , but at least he sells the key moments of the series.

And a bit spoiler talk [ASOS]
I'm at a loss how the show spends so much time on Dany? It is not like they have a lot of good material for her left and the are completly wasting the "two sides of the same coin" narrative she and Jon share in the books in regards to being forced to grow up to become leaders and both of them messing up in different fields. And Robb would have need much more room in this season and series as a whole, as his exit is next week and even as we NEVER spent any time in his head during the books I was way more investend in his journey in the books than I'm in the series. Despite the actor being very good ...

I think she's done a great job. And two of the best moments in the series (the dragons' birth and the defeat of Astapor) were great largely thanks to her.

And the rest of your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You want the show to do a better job of fleshing out perceived parallels between Dany and Jon's stories, while at the same time wishing they spent less time with Dany? And you actually think the show hasn't shown Robb enough? He's a far more prominent character in the show than in the book.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Someone in the nonreader thread posted the Olenna Tyrell quote about the family tree. It's hilarious, and I wonder what's more fucked up, Loras becoming his sister's father-in-law and both uncle and step-grandfather to Joffrey's future son, or [series]
assuming R+L=J, Daenerys being Jon Snow's aunt despite being younger than him? xD

I think she's done a great job. And two of the best moments in the series (the dragons' birth and the defeat of Astapor) were great largely thanks to her.

And the rest of your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You want the show to do a better job of fleshing out perceived parallels between Dany and Jon's stories, while at the same time wishing they spent less time with Dany? And you actually think the show hasn't shown Robb enough? He's a far more prominent character in the show than in the book.

I think I disagree here. Those were not because of her acting, but because of the great script.

Regarding the [ASOS]
They have not spent enough time on Jon. They had a few good scenes this season, but as he was sidelined for a lot of "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS?"-scenes that led to a butchered HOTU his journey is in no way a parallel to hers anymore. And you don't think that there are parallels? I thought that was a more or less common idea among ASOIF fans and one of the interpretations of the title of the series? And Robb: He is more prominent in the series than in the books, but in the books his impact felt way stronger to me. It made sense that we never read about his fights in the books, for example, but he should have had at least one onscreen battle in the series. All those scenes in the book which show him ignoring a increasingly nervous Grey Wind (where is he in the series?) as well as the change in his war effort seem lost. I know, the series stands on it's own, but I'm missing a few pieces and I wanted to rant a tiny bit before the chaos of the red wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom