• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Pretty strong ep, way better than last week's. Cersei's scene with Margery was the highlight. Daario was... surprisingly not bad. A bit too early to tell, but this guy might be an ok fit. I was expecting some nod to fans, like a blue streak in his hair, but I guess we got a nod with his weapon.

btw didn't Clarke say she wouldn't be doing nudity in the show anymore? So much for that.

for next week [series]
Great that there's not even the slightest hint to RW

NekoFever

[ASOS]
Some of them are thinking Robb taking Casterly Rock will be climax of the season :(
I saw one theorising that [series]
Dany would land in the south and she and Robb would catch the Lannisters in a pincer movement.
Double disappointment.

It's been a while since I read the book so I can't remember: did they make a big deal about [ASOS]
Robb planning to attack Casterly Rock? It's working quite well as a feint to keep people off the scent of what's going to happen in the TV series because it would kind of make sense as a season finale.

Tacitus_

Dany would land in the south and she and Robb would catch the Lannisters in a pincer movement.
Double disappointment.

It's been a while since I read the book so I can't remember: did they make a big deal about [ASOS]
Robb planning to attack Casterly Rock? It's working quite well as a feint to keep people off the scent of what's going to happen in the TV series because it would kind of make sense as a season finale.

ASOS
We never had a Robb POV and he and Cat weren't exactly on speaking terms. The wiki says that he was going to go back North to secure his kingdom first.

That said, it's hilarious how much the other thread is rooting for the "Battle at Casterly Rock"

Kuroyume

Banned
Wait, were the crows there warning Sam or just they come with The Others?

Warning

Spoiler regarding the crows up to ADWD
The crows are tied with the old religion/Children of the Forest/The first men. They were helping Sam.... Much like the one crow is helping Bran. Whomever is controlling them now is using them to protect Sam. Not suggesting Sam is still alive by ADWD either, just making the point that the crows help certain people throughout the books.

CassSept

Double disappointment.

[ASOS]
Yeah, I don't think it was even implied he would try attacking Casterly Rock, rather take back Winterfell after Edmure dun goofed.

If rumors from the set are true I hope TV viewers will think like "Oh but Dondarrion, Robb can still be ressed, it's still not totally over!" and then they will show Robb with Grey Wind's head sewn onto him. "Ohhhhh...."

These will be hard and hilarious 2 weeks :D

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Double disappointment.

ASOS:
By the time of the Red Wedding the plan was to go back north. Robb had already invaded the west (and they have that in the show) but he didn't intend to do so again. He basically went reaving in the west: after routing the Lannister army that was being trained near Lannisport the Northern army split up and just went around taking whatever they could. The plan was to force Tywin to return to defend his land, then trap him between the raiding army and the riverlands. This would also have stopped him from defending King's Landing against Stannis/Renly. Then Edmure stopped Tywin from crossing the river and getting back to Lannister territory and the whole plan fell apart.

I feel they could have shown more of this in the show, because it's pretty cool stuff, but it would have interfered with their attack on Casterly Rock plot. If Robb had already been in the West, and destroyed his main resistance at a spot only a few days ride from Lannisport and Casterly Rock, why wouldn't he have attacked it then, when he had the element of surprise and a much greater force?

NekoFever

[ASOS]
If rumors from the set are true I hope TV viewers will think like "Oh but Dondarrion, Robb can still be ressed, it's still not totally over!" and then they will show Robb with Grey Wind's head sewn onto him. "Ohhhhh...."
[ASOS]
Yeah, they're going to have to do something like that. Non-readers seem to have latched on to the resurrection thing, to the point where any future deaths will have to leave no doubt or else viewers won't take it seriously. They really need some dialogue to make it explicit that they can't bring back anyone without cost.

Plus, as barbaric as it is, Grey Wind's head on Robb's body is a really cool image. It's only mentioned in passing in the book as far as I can remember but it still sticks with everybody.

Ingeniero

Damn, I am so mad at the Stannis scene with the leeches, I have been waiting a long time for that moment and the just tosses them in 2 seconds barely saying the names like he don't care, no emotions at all :/
Wtf happened with Daario's blue beard?

Overall weak episode imo, now he must wait patienly for ep9.

Emilia damn :D

Linius

That was a great episode again. Joffrey being the little cunt he always his by removing those steps. And some great Dany stuff this week. Also Cersei being cold as always.

ibgxdnjiHLlU7b.gif

[ASOS]
Plus, as barbaric as it is, Grey Wind's head on Robb's body is a really cool image. It's only mentioned in passing in the book as far as I can remember but it still sticks with everybody.

Should be the first shot of Episode 10. It's really gut-wrenching in the book that you are aware of how brutal the massacre at the Red Wedding was and are still trying to come to terms with it...then they just mention that gory detail in passing and it hurts even more.

I like Dany a lot more in the TV show than I do with the books.

Something about the prose in her POVs just feels off to me. Whereas the TV series doesn't have this issue.

Damn, I am so mad at the Stannis scene with the leeches, I have been waiting a long time for that moment and the just tosses them in 2 seconds barely saying the names like he don't care, no emotions at all :/

Stannis doesn't show his emotions... Like ever.

Do we know why White Walkers want babies?

I actually am just reading Game of Thrones again, I don't remember in other parts of the book but in the chapter I just finished (Book GoT)
Jon remembers old Nan stating that they give young childer to the wights to give them energy/power, but of course that's old Nan so I don't know if that's just her telling an old tale or has any truth behind it. There's also some parts in the book about that maybe becoming others or white walkers. I guess we just don't know
I spoilered that in case that was never stated in the show at all. Just in case I guess.

Zabka

Still, that was supposed to be a powerful moment, they missed the oportunity to portray Stannis more like a badass :(

I'd be interested in seeing how that scene could possibly make him look like a badass. He couldn't win the war head-on so he's resorting to blood magic.

Tabris

I'm not spoilering this as I don't actually know and this is what I thought watching the show / dvd bonus features - Aren't the White Walkers the Children of the Forest? And Winter is coming is their pay back to the First Men / Andals?

Doesn't it go Children of the Forest > First Men > Andals? Most of the south are now Andals and only the North has kept their First Men blood?

Or are the White Walkers something different than the Children of the Forest?

Here's the bonus feature that made me think like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuf0-ZHsOs8 Especially the end where they say "they fled far north and have not seen again"

Should be the first shot of Episode 10. It's really gut-wrenching in the book that you are aware of how brutal the massacre at the Red Wedding was and are still trying to come to terms with it...then they just mention that gory detail in passing and it hurts even more.

I remember still being in shock over
The Red Wedding but that thought in particular was like salt in the wound. Part of you is hoping Grey Wind escaped and comes back to save someone later in the series or, even just roams free forever or something. Let your imagination fill in the gaps if his fate isn't mentioned but then...Jesus. Once you read that it's sealed. You hope all the Freys burn.

I'm not spoilering this as I don't actually know and this is what I thought watching the show / dvd bonus features - Aren't the White Walkers the Children of the Forest? And Winter is coming is their pay back to the First Men / Andals?

Doesn't it go Children of the Forest > First Men > Andals? Most of the south are now Andals and only the North has kept their First Men blood?

Here's the bonus feature that made me think like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuf0-ZHsOs8 Especially the end where they say "they fled far north and have not seen again"
I think children of the forest are elf like things that were there before the first men, hence the name children. They carved the faces into the weirwoods, that's all I know about them really. They aren't white walkers though

This one kind of explains it briefly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uF6SSRA5Rg&feature=share&list=PL3IA_hR04Z0yuqKfZ9fm3_I1cdzhEzFzi

Drazgul

I think children of the forest are elf like things that were there before the first men, hence the name children. They carved the faces into the weirwoods, that's all I know about them really. They aren't white walkers though

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they turn out to be related, somehow. Like an offshoot of the species or some such speculative fiction trope.

iamblades

The children of the forest are not the white walkers, they were the original inhabitants of Westeros before the first men came from Essos. The first men warred with the children for a long time, but then they adopted the gods of the children of the forest(the old gods of the northmen) and made peace with them.

The others are invaders from the land of always winter that were fought off by the first men and the children of the forest like 8000 years ago

That scene between Tyrion and Joffrey was fucking epic. I was begging Tyrion to just reach over and stab the little fuck through the bottom of his jaw. Cersei not fucking around with her views on the Tyrells was a close second and the heads of the arsehole mercenaries rolling onto the floor at Danys feet third.

Mario007

That scene between Tyrion and Joffrey was fucking epic. I was begging Tyrion to just reach over and stab the little fuck through the bottom of his jaw. Cersei not fucking around with her views on the Tyrells was a close second and the heads of the arsehole mercenaries rolling onto the floor at Danys feet third.

You can definitely see Joffrey being Cersei's kid.

Btw was the Dario scenario the same in the books? It seemed a bit too convenient for him to betray his two captains and go with Danny.

You can definitely see Joffrey being Cersei's kid.

Btw was the Dario scenario the same in the books? It seemed a bit too convenient for him to betray his two captains and go with Danny.

Pretty much. Daario decides it's stupid to go against Danaerys, thinks she's a total babe, and kills the leaders. I think there are more mercenary bands around and he kills all of their leaders, not just his own. I may be wrong on that one.

aceface

Stannis thinks the whole thing is stupid and doesn't really believe it. That's the vibe I got from book and show.

gdt

Great episode. Hot women all over the place this week. Especially that girl during the meeting of the Second Sons.

I've got to say that the way they've played up [AFfC]
Cersei and Margaery's relationship thus far has me excited for seasons 4/5 when they play up Cersei truly losing it with regard to Margaery. I think that's actually one area where the show could wind up being more memorable than the books, for me at least.

Have we seen Tommen at all this year? He seems to be MIA since Blackwater. If I recall, he was present at Sansa's wedding in the book. One little thing I was hoping they'd have from the book was the dancing at Sansa's wedding. A minor detail but it added some nice atmosphere.

Mario007

Pretty much. Daario decides it's stupid to go against Danaerys, thinks she's a total babe, and kills the leaders. I think there are more mercenary bands around and he kills all of their leaders, not just his own. I may be wrong on that one.

Oh right, well that's just a tad bit too convenient but then again maybe that just fits Dario's behaviour and I might appreciate it more after getting to know the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom