• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilhawk

If I were a betting man, ASOS
I would put 1,000 gold dragons on the final shot of season 3 being Beric Dondarrion remembering how Arya was so sad about her father, giving his life for Cat, and her bloodshot eye being the last thing we see before the credits. Who wants to take me up on this? Ridicule me if I'm wrong.

ASoS
My preference would be for a wolf dream sequence with Nymeria sniffing, going into the river, and dragging Cat out of the river. Nymeria is scared away by approaching riders. Only give a hint that it is tBwB. End it with that. Whether Arya is still presumed dead over the season break - I have no idea.

If I were a betting man, ASOS
I would put 1,000 gold dragons on the final shot of season 3 being Beric Dondarrion remembering how Arya was so sad about her father, giving his life for Cat, and her bloodshot eye being the last thing we see before the credits. Who wants to take me up on this? Ridicule me if I'm wrong.
You want some DUN DUN DUUUUN to go along with it?

suzu

She was turning 13 in the first episode.

Just pretend she's a tall kid. She was pretty tall for her age before anyway. :p

I know a lot of people are probably upset but I liked that Sansa was much kinder to Tyrion in the show than she was in the book. (Not kneeling, etc) I very nearly hated her forever for how she treated Tyrion.

Tabris

Holy crap it's fun reading the no book spoiler thread. I feel so all knowing now.

So what would be the answer to my questions in the no book spoiler thread?

Namely, why would Dany want Westeros instead of Essos? (except for "wanting what is her birthright") - Why not take over both?

And is Winter coming to just Westeros or the "world"?

Brashnir

Namely, why would Dany want Westeros instead of Essos?

Presumably, she wants it because she sees it as her birthright, rather than any soundly-thought-through decision.

I don't think the details of weather patterns in this world are ever discussed in the books or show. Presumably Winter would be coming to Westeros and all continents in the same hemisphere.

ShaneB

Namely, why would Dany want Westeros instead of Essos? (except for "wanting what is her birthright") - Why not take over both?

Namely the stories Viserys told her I guess, impressionable young girl and all that, etc etc. Her birthright being a big part of it. She obviously knows she is special, Targaryan, Mother of Dragons, all that wonderful stuff.

And now I'll spoiler some stuff... ASOS
Dany's story does evolve with her interaction with Barriston Selmy, and the stories he tells her of her father and brother Rhaegar. Her tale in ASoS does end with her conquering Meereen, and her last lines being something like "I will wait, and rule". So I'm not sure what her future plans are now. (I havent read passed AsoS yet.

And Melissandra has some things to say about your 2nd question... if I take your meaning of "Winter" vaguely

ASOS
What did Sam kill with dragonglass in the book? An Other, or a wight?

ASOS
An Other/White Walker. The difference is that in the book, he kills the Walker back when the surviving Watch members were fleeing from the Fist to Craster's.

---------------

Oh, and I didn't mention above, Michelle's directing is excellent. I hope she returns next season.

Presumably, she wants it because she sees it as her birthright, rather than any soundly-thought-through decision.

I don't think the details of weather patterns in this world are ever discussed in the books or show. Presumably Winter would be coming to Westeros and all continents in the same hemisphere.
I picture it something like England and Europe, the Northern parts experience a lot of snow but the further south you go, the less chance of snow there is. They've said that Dorne stays warm in winter, so I assume the same is true of Essos. May also depend on the severity of the winter

rando14

Just saw the episode. Good times.

ASOS
So is next episode RW? If so, Ho-lee shit, i've been waiting for this for years, the No Book Spoiler thread is going to be AMAZING.

also I forgot what ends up happening to Gendry, does anyone remember?

Speevy

Banned
Dragons perceive abrupt tensions in conversation, but pay no attention to the unknown armed man who enters Dany's tent.

LordCanti

Dragons perceive abrupt tensions in conversation, but pay no attention to the unknown armed man who enters Dany's tent.

Maybe they were off hunting or something.

c8xZa6n.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Trying to remember if it was ASOS or not, but it's Sam/Gilly related, around where they appear to be in the series:
Don't they run into Coldhands at somepoint. Any chance the series will find a way for him to be in the mix?

Snake

Pretty great episode. I wasn't down on the last two episodes like some, but this was still a clear improvement.

- Tyrion and Sansa's wedding was actually better than what I had hoped for. I thought Sansa and Tyrion really shined in this episode. Some of their best work in the entire show. And even the Shae moments were played without a single cringe. The whole wedding had a perfect balance of tension and comedy, and the Sept of Baelor was a great set. [ASOS]
And there was actually a ton of material that was helpful in establishing concepts and traditions for when It happens. Really raises my expectations for how the event is going to play out.
- Goddamn it, Joff. Jack Gleason never fails to deliver.
- Aside from that last threat to Margaery, which seemed a bit too explicit, Cersei was great here.
- Hound / Arya scene was really touching.
- Stannis. Stannis the Mannis all over the place. I've seen some people highlight Dragonstone as a failure, but that scene in the jail was A++ and the Melisandre stuff was perfectly fine. Beyond that, it's more tightly and smartly written in terms of relevance than some of the equivalent material in the books. Gendry as a stand-in for Edric is smart as hell, and the way they incorporated the leeches was neat.
- Daario. Surprisingly not bad. I guess I had a bad feeling because he looked too much like Nicholas Hoult in the promo images, so I expected some nasally british accent, but he was fine. Mero was pretty awesome as well (in an "I hope this dick gets what's coming to him" sort of way. And of course he did).
- Sam's tussle with that older gentleman was awesome. I, like many others, expected [ASOS]
Coldhands here, but I'm more glad that we got this moment for now, as long as everyone's favorite black brother shows up in the finale

Daario looks like a horse. My girlfriend thought he was hot so I guess they tailored him to the target audience appropriately.

Speaking of tailored to the target audience, god damn Emilia.

Emilia-Clarke-Cute-Smile-Laugh-Reaction-Gif.gif

So totally unrelated to ASOIAF, but...she looks like she could be Olivia Williams' (Dollhouse) daughter:

Peter Dinklage's scene with the dagger was Emmy-worthy. He and Nikolaj need to win a pair this season, along with Diana Rigg.

ASoS:
Red Wedding next week. Can you feel the biggest schadenfreude of all time brewing? I sure as fuck can.

Monocle

Wait, what? Sansa's 14 in the show? For some reason I thought they aged her up more.

My schadenfreude next week is going to be entirely centered around peeps like you who think that episode is going to air next week. :p
Is it true that there's no new episode next week, or am I totally confused? I was sure I read somewhere that there would be an extra week's gap between #8 and #9.

Wait, what? Sansa's 14 in the show? For some reason I thought they aged her up more.

Is it true that there's no new episode next week, or am I totally confused? I was sure I read somewhere that there would be an extra week's gap between #8 and #9.

OK, OK, we'll see. See you here in a week!

Oohhh, you were talking about the release of the episode. I should've said "next episode" not "next week".

I was referring to 3x09 though, obviously.

can we get a gif of when the whore in the braavo tend was standing there, with her ass just potroduing out as the dude was talking aobut hte coins?

omg that girl has a body to die for

very intersteing i nthis episode to see even Danny honors guests rights

Noema

The actress is only 17. Most shows have overage actors playing kids. If only she wasn't so damn tall. Then again, my sister was taller than her when she was 14 (hell, my sister was taller when she was 11)

Book Sansa is supposed to be tall for her age too. AFFC
After Littlefinger kills Lysa Arryn Sansa, posing as his bastard daughter Alayne, "inherits" most of her aunt's wardrobe and it's stated that she was as tall at 13 as her Lysa was at 20

spoilers dude, but yes. The dagger is obsidian, which is the bones of Dragons melted into glass.

Fyi, things that have happened in past episodes of the TV show are not spoilers for the TV show.

Episode 9 promo for those who missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9y8hn3hSVk

Remember to spoiler tag anything that it shows.

Also, episode 9 won't air until June 2nd so this is going to be a long two weeks.

I'm going to watch that promo many time over the next couple of weeks. :(

cheers

ASOS/ADWD
I thought it was foreshadowing for the battle beyond The Wall, but it makes sense for the Battle of Winterfell too.

Yeah that was my immediate thoguht too.

Noema

Fuck. I always get them confused.

Others/ White Walkers: creepy ice-monsters with ice swords. Killed with obsidian. SERIES
They are the real reason the Wall was built. Possibly the "Ice" part of "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Wights: Ice zombies with blue eyes and black hands. People killed by Others / WW come back as wights. The others use them as shock troops / cannon fodder. Usually killed with fire.
Immune to obsidian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom