• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentyn

They've done a good job with the plots in season 3 I think.

A lot of the Kings Landing plot this season has taken the plot from the book and expanded on it/rearranged things to do it in a bit of a different way, and I think it's been very strong.

ADWD
I hope they focus more on the stuff that is happening in King's Landing and the rest of Westeros and less on the Essos stuff in Season 4, 5 and 6. I really like the actress they got for Margaery and the rivalry between her and Cersei could easily be expanded upon. Hopefully they also keep Diane Rigg around. Maybe just flat out replace Mace Tyrell and make her the Hand of the King? That could be great. Arya's and Sansa's chapters could also easily be expanded on.

All of that would certainly be more interesting than everything they could with do Dany. After season 3 it is practically just her boning Daario for three seasons.

tino

Banned
Just watched episdoe 8. This is an awesome episode. Both the hottest girl and the BDSM chick show the goods.

12798680071.gif

I'm back! ASOS
Tyrion just killed Tywin. I can't believe this book. It's crazy. I'm not sure how I feel about this though, I mean, fuck Tywin, obviously. But for Tyrion to do it? There's no way everyone won't know who did it. Ahh Tyrion, I hope you haven't just signed your death sentance. (Although in this book he'll be dead in another chapter). Fuck me. 9% to go...

Quentyn

I'm back! ASOS
Tyrion just killed Tywin. I can't believe this book. It's crazy. I'm not sure how I feel about this though, I mean, fuck Tywin, obviously. But for Tyrion to do it? There's no way everyone won't know who did it. Ahh Tyrion, I hope you haven't just signed your death sentance. (Although in this book he'll be dead in another chapter). Fuck me. 9% to go...

ASOS
Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold.

Keep it up! Your constant updates are one of my favourite things right now.

Dysun

I'm back! ASOS

Keep going, it aint over yet!

ASOS
Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold.

Keep it up! Your constant updates are one of my favourite things right now.

Keep going, it aint over yet!

FINISHED! WHAT A RIDE. ASOS
HOLY FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. So Little finger makes his play, the slimey git. The thought of Jon Stark, Lord of Winterfell was getting me all excited, but I'm not surprised at his decision. King Stannis (yeah, King Stannis) on the wall....HHHNNNGGG. What an incredible book, by far and away the greatest book I've ever read. Then the Epilogue came and I was pretty confused as to why the book was ending with this then came LADY FUCKING CATELYN STARK. My heart. My head. I need to go ly dwn.

The only problem with ASOS is that it's too good.

No, seriously. AFFC and ADWD are solid, but they just can't compare.

I started reading the books in when episode 2 of series 3 aired. I was too scared of ASOS spoilers, and I wanted to read them anyway. ASOS was the book I read them for and it didn't disappoint.

I'm not expecting another ASOS going into these next two books, to be fair, I don't think I could handle it. If ASOFAI and ACOK were set-up for ASOS I'll be more than happy to read AFFC and ADWD if they set up another ASOS in book 6!

Ikael

There's no way the show runners will let the AFFC/ADWD seasons be that boring. They'll make drastic changes if they have to.

This, this, this so much. This is the show's chance to shine. My recommendation: cut the fat. Cut, cut, cut baby, cut. No remorse.

ADWD and AFFC had the problem not of being horribly written, but rather being horribly edited, with honorific mention to the fucking genious that thought that not closing both South and North plot archs and leaving the final battles for Winds of Winter as if this would be a goddamn tv show that one just have to wait for just one week to come out makes my blood boil.

The whole "bu, but they should lenghten the show so they wait for Martin to finish Winds of Winter, better create some filler" crowd are so fucking wrong that they could produce a massive black hole of wrongness to absorb the entire universe and kill us all. Jesus.

Merge both AFFC and ADWD in one single season. Cut entire historylines. Devise a better way to solve the Meerense knot. Show the strenght of the medium, and don't be afraid to deviate from the books from that point onwards as much as necessary.

AFFC & ADWD spoilers

Cut the hell out:

- Danerys sucking at ruling: One snippet in an episode is all you need to show it
- Daenerys marriage: did it made anything to advance the plot? Cut
- Tyrion wandering from Essos with one bajillion background information: will translate horribly into the TV screen. Cut it and make the whole Rhoyne travel an ellipsis
- Brienne trip to nowhere: Cut this fucker down asap

Include & expand:

- Stannis last stand battle
- Meeren's siege break
- Ayra's faceless man training leading to something. Give her some objective at the very least, some conclussion to her story

And we could have a winner of a season.

Tacitus_

I started reading the books in when episode 2 of series 3 aired. I was too scared of ASOS spoilers, and I wanted to read them anyway. ASOS was the book I read them for and it didn't disappoint.

I'm not expecting another ASOS going into these next two books, to be fair, I don't think I could handle it. If ASOFAI and ACOK were set-up for ASOS I'll be more than happy to read AFFC and ADWD if they set up another ASOS in book 6!

ADWD gives you like the worst literary blue balls ever due to questionable editing choices in order to keep the page numbers from bloating too much.

The one storyline I really want to see more of is

ADWD
Theon's. Call it "Die Hard on Winterfell"

Not ADWD
The House of Black and White?

Quentyn

FINISHED! WHAT A RIDE. ASOS
HOLY FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. So Little finger makes his play, the slimey git. The thought of Jon Stark, Lord of Winterfell was getting me all excited, but I'm not surprised at his decision. King Stannis (yeah, King Stannis) on the wall....HHHNNNGGG. What an incredible book, by far and away the greatest book I've ever read. Then the Epilogue came and I was pretty confused as to why the book was ending with this then came LADY FUCKING CATELYN STARK. My heart. My head. I need to go ly dwn.

ASOS
Heh, that Sansa chapter is probably my favourite in the whole series. First you have the slow, beautiful build up with Sansa building the snow castle. Then all hell breaks lose, you realize how crazy Lysa really is and that Littlefinger engineered the whole thing from the get-go.

ADWD gives you like the worst literary blue balls ever due to questionable editing choices in order to keep the page numbers from bloating too much.

Not ADWD
The House of Black and White?

I can deal with that honestly, I'm going to take the next two at a much slower pace. By the time I'm done it probably won't be too long until book 6! What are the current estimates for it being released?

Scuderia

Yeah, i'm about 200 pages into AFFC, and while i am definitely enjoying some characters chapters
Cersei, Jaime and Brienne so far
, others are a bit of a chore to read, but i'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

P44

This, this, this so much. This is the show's chance to shine. My recommendation: cut the fat. Cut, cut, cut baby, cut. No remorse.

ADWD and AFFC had the problem not of being horribly written, but rather being horribly edited, with honorific mention to the fucking genious that thought that not closing both South and North plot archs and leaving the final battles for Winds of Winter as if this would be a goddamn tv show that one just have to wait for just one week to come out makes my blood boil.

The whole "bu, but they should lenghten the show so they wait for Martin to finish Winds of Winter, better create some filler" crowd are so fucking wrong that they could produce a massive black hole of wrongness to absorb the entire universe and kill us all. Jesus.

Merge both AFFC and ADWD in one single season. Cut entire historylines. Devise a better way to solve the Meerense knot. Show the strenght of the medium, and don't be afraid to deviate from the books from that point onwards as much as necessary.

AFFC & ADWD spoilers

Cut the hell out:

- Danerys sucking at ruling: One snippet in an episode is all you need to show it
- Daenerys marriage: did it made anything to advance the plot? Cut
- Tyrion wandering from Essos with one bajillion background information: will translate horribly into the TV screen. Cut it and make the whole Rhoyne travel an ellipsis
- Brienne trip to nowhere: Cut this fucker down asap

Include & expand:

- Stannis last stand battle
- Meeren's siege break
- Ayra's faceless man training leading to something. Give her some objective at the very least, some conclussion to her story

And we could have a winner of a season.

Jesus I forgot how much ADWD pissed me off, basically leaving every goddamn story arch hanging, not one was with anything resembling a conclusion. It's going to lead to a very cool next book, but it was frustrating reading through 3 volumes worth of bloat (AFFC + ADWD) , and then not getting anything out of it at the end.

AFFC is mostly enjoyable for
Cersei. She's goddamned insane.

Unlike a lot of people I really liked the Greyjoy chapters. Asha was cool and Victarion is awesome. And Sansa's three chapters were pretty great, too.

Oh, and the reveal in the last Martell one was awesome. Such a shame ADWD did nothing good with it.

Ikael

Meh, that's not so bad. I guess it's been much worse for you guys that have been following the series for years :lol

We book readers envy the kinds of you :p I started to read the saga before the fourth book was out, leaving myself with years of your cliffhanger state. Biggest literary blue balls EVER.

Tacitus_

Meh, that's not so bad. I guess it's been much worse for you guys that have been following the series for years :lol

I'm kinda lucky in that regard. I read the books after the show started so I only had to wait a year or so for ADWD.
Cersei. She's goddamned insane.

Unlike a lot of people I really liked the Greyjoy chapters. Asha was cool and Victarion is awesome. And Sansa's three chapters were pretty great, too.

Oh, and the reveal in the last Martell one was awesome. Such a shame ADWD did nothing good with it.

Yeah, I enjoyed AFFC a lot more than others seem to have on the internet, especially on a re-read. Other than the AFFC
Brienne chapters. "Has anyone seen a girl of three-and-ten with auburn hair?" NO WE HAVEN'T, FUCK OFF BRIENNE

We book readers envy the kinds of you :p I started to read the saga before the fourth book was out, leaving myself with years of your cliffhanger state. Biggest literary blue balls EVER.

I mean, I say I'll take my time with AFFC and ADWD but I won't haha. I'm sure I'll experience a couple of years of frustration with the rest of you.

Noema

ASOS
Heh, that Sansa chapter is probably my favourite in the whole series. First you have the slow, beautiful build up with Sansa building the snow castle. Then all hell breaks lose, you realize how crazy Lysa really is and that Littlefinger engineered the whole thing from the get-go.

ASOS
And from the get-go means convincing Lysa to have Jon Arryn poisoned so they can blame the Lannisters. I put the book down in disbelief when I read that. Littlefinger is a mustache twirling villain of the best kind, setting the whole thing in motion.

I'm kinda lucky in that regard. I read the books after the show started so I only had to wait a year or so for ADWD.

Yeah, I enjoyed AFFC a lot more than others seem to have on the internet, especially on a re-read. Other than the AFFC
Brienne chapters. "Has anyone seen a girl of three-and-ten with auburn hair?" NO WE HAVEN'T, FUCK OFF BRIENNE

Yes, so awful.

AFFC started the awful tradition of chapters with characters who do absolutely nothing.

Sure, we've always had Bran, but I mean, at least he has dreams.

ShaneB

My interest in reading AFFC/ADWD is definitely dwindling if they both feel like the payoff for those 2 will come in Book 6. :(

I guess I'm more pissed in wondering why the hell he takes so long with getting these books done. =/

ASOS
And from the get-go means convincing Lysa to have Jon Arryn poisoned so they can blame the Lannisters. I put the book down in disbelief when I read that. Littlefinger is a mustache twirling villain of the best kind, setting the whole thing in motion.

Also, this! ASOS
When Petry and Lysa are having their exchange, and you learn how much Petyr has done to orchestrate all of this, it's a hell of twist to reveal what an evil bastard he is too like all the others.

Noema

After the rollercoaster that was ASOS, I enjoyed the pace of AFFC. But then again I didn't have to wait half a decade to read AFFC; I started it the day I finished ASOS :p. Sometimes it's nice being LTTP.

Oh, and AFFC
Motherfucking Victarion. I want a bearded, grizzled Clive Owen to play him

After the rollercoaster that was ASOS, I enjoyed the pace of AFFC. But then again I didn't have to wait half a decade to read AFFC; I started it the day I finished ASOS :p. Sometimes it's nice being LTTP.

Oh, and AFFC

No. Ray Stevenson.

Seriously, I just loved how simple and straight-forward he was. No need for impossible names or self-doubt.

AFFC&ADWD
My God is awesome! Huh, your god is cool too. Two gods protect me!! Huh, my future wife is against slavery? Well, I'll just kill or hire slaves, then. They insult me? Mother-fucking-Victarion time.

Tacitus_

Oh, and AFFC

ADWD
He's the best. Oh my hand got infected after blocking a weapon with nothing but a gauntlet? I got a motherfucking fire hand from this fire priest for that. Time to pump the dusky woman a bit and sacrifice these sex slave boys for two gods at the same time.

[Series]
No way in hell is series 4 just devoted to the back end of ASOS. There are some really, really cool things there to be certain, but not enough for an entire series. We're going to see Dorne stuff, we're going to see Iron Islands stuff, we'll see Arya in Braavos, we'll see more Bran stuff even if they have to invent plotlines out of nothing.

“He has gone to bring us back our heart's desire.”

“She narrowed her eyes. “What is our heart’s desire?”

“Vengeance.” His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. “Justice.” Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, “Fire and blood.”

One of the most powerful moments in the series right there. Such a shame that Doran's plan was crushed again. I couldn't help but cheer for him due to the way the reveal was done.

“He has gone to bring us back our heart's desire.”

“She narrowed her eyes. “What is our heart’s desire?”

“Vengeance.” His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. “Justice.” Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, “Fire and blood.”

One of the most powerful moments in the series right there. Such a shame that Doran's plan was crushed again. I couldn't help but cheer for him due to the way the reveal was done.

:(

That moment alone changed my entire mind on AFFC.

ADWD
Goddamnit, Quentyn. You ruined it all.

Iksenpets

Banned
finally they're wising up and nominating people that deserve it. waldau > dinklage this season.

Seriously. I'm still upset that Alfie got no recognition for his Theon last season. He pretty much carried season 2.

:(

That moment alone changed my entire mind on AFFC.

ADWD
Goddamnit, Quentyn. You ruined it all.

ADWD
I know. When I first saw that first Quentyn chapter in Dance, I was all like "Aw yeah, time for some vengeance." And then it was all for naught. I'm still holding on to hope that Quentyn was really just set up for the Dornish avenging him, and something finally going right for them, otherwise his whole story feels wasted.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
[Series]
No way in hell is series 4 just devoted to the back end of ASOS. There are some really, really cool things there to be certain, but not enough for an entire series. We're going to see Dorne stuff, we're going to see Iron Islands stuff, we'll see Arya in Braavos, we'll see more Bran stuff even if they have to invent plotlines out of nothing.

I think they'll make a big deal about
The Viper and his crew coming to King's Landing. If they're smart, next season will be as much about the Dornish as anyone else, so when they get the the AFFC material it won't come quite so far out of left field. I feel that if GRRM had made them a bit more relevant in the earlier books then people wouldn't be quite so mad at all the material later on. Cos they are pretty cool really, and I like the Martell/Tyrell fueding. I think post S3 they need to spend some time really getting the audience used to these new characters, it should be like S2 of the Wire

tmdorsey

Just wanted to say that this man gets it.

Just wanted to say that this man gets it.

Hindsight helps I think, there's been enough time between me starting and AFFC and ADWD that I learned not to expect the bombast of ASOS just through osmosis. To be fair though I'm actually pleased these books are a bit slower, I went into the series just looking forward to ASOS, therefore while I very much enjoyed the first two they seemed like a bit of a slog as I just wanted to get to ASOS. And let me tell you, it felt so sweet when I finally got there. For readers that had looked forward to AFFC and ADWD for years I can see why they'd be a bit disappointed though.

I imagine I'll feel the same with book 6. I can deal with the calm before the storm if the storm is as furious as I expect :D

Jayof9s

The fact that I still have 250 pages to go in ADWD and I can understand most of the spoilered ADWD text disappoints me.

Heck, just reading the ASOS spoilers makes me sad for the series re-read I'm doing. The best stuff all happens in the 3rd book. Sure, all of the books have their moments, including AFFC and ADWD but those two especially were really padded by a bunch of POV characters I had a hard time having any interest in. AFFC has almost 0 characters I have any interest in and I sped through it hoping the next chapter would be a character I wanted to read about and was literally disappointed every time I got to a new chapter and realized it wasn't.

At least by the time I read the series all 5 were already out. After the fact I don't have a big problem with either book since I read all 5 together, but if I had been reading from the start and had to wait a combined 11 years after ASOS for AFFC and ADWD, I probably would absolutely hate both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom