• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

exYle

series
Ep 9 - Robb presents himself to Walder Frey, and Edmure meets his bride. Jon faces his harshest test yet. Bran discovers a new gift. Daario and Jorah debate how to take Yunkai. House Frey joins with House Tully. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

Ep 10 - Joffrey challenges Tywin. Bran tells a ghost story. In Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters. Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or a liberator. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

Looks like she takes Yunkai in ep 9 and decides to stay in episode 10.

Why are people so insistent that Yunkai replaces
Meereen? We still need a precedent to dismiss Jorah and the Mhysa scene has not occurred yet, which we know is her freeing the slaves in Yunkai, not taking the city. "Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or liberator" - she is very clearly going to be a liberator. The conquest of Meereen occurs after the Red Wedding in the book. Besides, if she stays in Yunkai now, that means we will possibly have to deal with 3 seasons of her ruling the city, which would be awful.

[Series]
Christ, you'd have thought the intention would be to sharpen and whittle down the Meereen stuff, rather than make sure another series has to be spent on it by shifting it all forward.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
[Series]
Christ, you'd have thought the intention would be to sharpen and whittle down the Meereen stuff, rather than make sure another series has to be spent on it by shifting it all forward.

Series
There's really no getting around the crappy Danny story. I'm still interested how they're going to try and make it interesting.

Speaking of crappy storylines, I just got to the part in ADWD when Tyrion is sold as a slave. I have never been so bored at a Tyrion chapter. I hope this is really short lived (no pun intended).

Lirlond

ASOS s4
If they cut the slave road that'll fucking kill me. Such a powerful image, and it really cements that what Dany is doing is right.

oops lol

Lkr

Series
There's really no getting around the crappy Danny story. I'm still interested how they're going to try and make it interesting.

Speaking of crappy storylines, I just got to the part in ADWD when Tyrion is sold as a slave. I have never been so bored at a Tyrion chapter. I hope this is really short lived (no pun intended).
I thought that was a fun chapter

Series

Series

Martin did the impossible with ADWD and made Tyrion chapters boring as fuck.

Altazor

Series

Martin did the impossible with ADWD and made Tyrion chapters boring as fuck.

[spoilers up to ADWD]

I don't know how he did it, but I was bored with Tyrion and Daenerys' chapters pretty much all the time. Maybe it's Essos and it's endless cavalcade of undistinguishable shit, but I was dreading reading those chapters. At least Ser Barristan's chapters made that whole storyline redeemable... well, that and Quentyn's dumb-as-fuck dragonstealing plan. Hilarious.

[spoilers up to ADWD]

I don't know how he did it, but I was bored with Tyrion and Daenerys' chapters pretty much all the time. Maybe it's Essos and it's endless cavalcade of undistinguishable shit, but I was dreading reading those chapters. At least Ser Barristan's chapters made that whole storyline redeemable... well, that and Quentyn's dumb-as-fuck dragonstealing plan. Hilarious.

ADWD

Yeah, the Essos stuff was mostly shit outside of Barristan's chapters. On the other hand, the stuff in North was mostly great.

[spoilers up to ADWD]

ADWD
Tyrion's chapters were awful. And he was so unlikable, too. I don't think I have to say anything about Daenerys' other than jesus christ. And Quentyn... considering how AWESOME the reveal at the end of AFFC was, I cannot believe he fucked it up that bad.

Jon's were slow, but good. Theon's were fantastic.

Dysun

I put a big part of blame on Penny for Tyrion chapters sucking ass, every time she was in one it sucked the life out of the whole thing

It wasn't that those chapters were poorly written, it was that as a reader, I don't care about Essos. That's why those chapters were boring, because I don't care about jpw the conflict is resolved there. I care about Westeros. Connington was kinda boring until he landing in Griffin's Roost, then suddenly i was interested again. All the chapters in the North were wonderful.

What GRRM needs to do is to start TWOW with the battle of Mereen and get Dany and company out of Essos immediately afterwards.

Lkr

the worst chapters to me in adwd was the random
victarion chapter towards the end with his hand. all of a sudden, hey guys, remember victarion?!? i don't mind the essos chapter. for some reason i found the tyrion chapters enjoyable. maybe it is because i like jorah quite a bit(probably due to the show). i do feel dany was dragged out a bit too much though. i have like 50 pages to go though, interesting to see if she returns by the end of the book lol

the worst chapters to me in adwd was the random
victarion chapter towards the end with his hand. all of a sudden, hey guys, remember victarion?!? i don't mind the essos chapter. for some reason i found the tyrion chapters enjoyable. maybe it is because i like jorah quite a bit(probably due to the show). i do feel dany was dragged out a bit too much though. i have like 50 pages to go though, interesting to see if she returns by the end of the book lol
Oh come on, he's awesome. Such a fresh air after the awfulness that surrounds him.

Just good ol' let's be badass

ASOS
'the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!" Jon turned away, and went inside the tent.

WHATTTTTTTT

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
ASOS
That would leave Tyrion with almost nothing to do for the entire season. I think it's more likely that we'll get it around Episode 4 or 5. Oberyn arriving will probably happen first for King's Landing, and then you can have some additional scenes with him over the next couple of episodes. There's just not enough story out of Tyrion's trial and escape to stretch out over the entire season.

ASOS
Ep9 is Purple wedding, e10 is Tywin/Tyrion escaping. BET

ezrarh

No way. (ASOS)
That's way too little time. There's an entire trial to go through, Sansa's escape and Jaime's return to the city. Episode 9 being the duel makes far more sense.

ASOS
Even that doesn't make sense. Tyrion killing Tywin would be more an episode 9 thing.

PW will be episode 2, no later, 8 days separate RW and PW, and you want them to stretch that out for an entire season? EP1 Oberyn Ep2 PW EP4 trial, EP6 Oberynn volunteers EP7 Trial by Combat EP8 Jaime convinced Varys to save Tyrion E9 Tyrion escapes/kills Tywin.

ASOS
'the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!" Jon turned away, and went inside the tent.

WHATTTTTTTT

I think this is what I looked like reading that part:
yTG0R.gif

PW will be episode 2, no later, 8 days separate RW and PW, and you want them to stretch that out for an entire season? EP1 Oberyn Ep2 PW EP4 trial, EP6 Oberynn volunteers EP7 Trial by Combat EP8 Jaime convinced Varys to save Tyrion E9 Tyrion escapes/kills Tywin.

ASOS/Season 4
GRRM did write episode 2 for next year. Now that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it certainly fuels the speculation for some people.

Lkr

Oh come on, he's awesome. Such a fresh air after the awfulness that surrounds him.

Just good ol' let's be badass

it was just too much of a change of pace, which I really dislike about ADWD and AFFC. AFFC is probably my least favorite, but it really got good after a slower start than the previous books. ADwD has been very enjoyable to me thus far. Turns out I still have a bit farther than I thought.
connington just took griff's roost and the prince wants to lead the attack on storm's end

pa22word

Finishing DWD was the most sobering moment in my life. I will probably never finish this series. ;_;

I couldn't even bring myself to finish it, tbqh. I got 200 pages in and came to the realization that I simply didn't give a fuck anymore.

Dance isn't that bad by itself, but after Feast I needed a Storm of Swords to get me excited for the series again. Instead I got another feast. I read the spoilers for dance a few months ago and was happy I didn't waste my time finishing the book. At this point I don't even know if I'm going to bother trying the new book when it comes out.

Eidan

God, reading AFFC/ADWD discussions is depressing.

We're going to look back at Seasons 1-4 as the golden age of the show.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
One bit from AFFC and ADWD I can't wait for...

Arya in Bravos. I love the stuff so far in the House of Black and White. I just finished "The Blind Girl" and loved her calling out the old man as the attacker at the end.

And for ADWD so far, I actually did like the Tyrion's travels stuff. This slave stuff brought it to a grinding halt, but I still liked the journey there. I'm pretty indifferent about Penny, but don't think it's bad for his smug ass to get a bit humbled. Danny is just boring though, and I'm surprised that Selmey never counseled her that she needs to decided if she wants Essos or Westeros, she can't have both. Theon's stuff has been good, even though I still feel little sympathy for the guy. Wall stuff is pretty good, and I'm enjoying the build up, even though I've been spoiled on what's going to happen to Jon, I don't know the fine details though.

pa22word

There's no way the show runners will let the AFFC/ADWD seasons be that boring. They'll make drastic changes if they have to.

There's a way they could do it so that it'd be salvageable, but if they do it that way I'd say unless GRRM gets the next book out by the end of season 4 then the show will almost definitely outpace the books.

And honestly given the state of the book series as it stands now...I don't know if that would be entirely a bad thing >.>

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I enjoyed AFFC/ADWD so I'll probably enjoy season 5 and onwards.

All I want to hear is ADWD
'Edd, fetch me a block,"
. Once I hear that, I'm good.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I enjoyed AFFC/ADWD so I'll probably enjoy season 5 and onwards.

All I want to hear is ADWD
'Edd, fetch me a block,"
. Once I hear that, I'm good.

ADWD
Yeah, that chapter has been one of my favorites, mainly because when taking Janos out, Jon says that this is wrong. I love knowing why he said that, and knowing that Janos, thinking he's gotten a reprieve from a stupid boy, is about to take his head off himself. Then he calls for the block.

That's worrisome to me though too. The last time the show tried to liven up and invent a plot was last year with Dany screaming "WHEREAREMYDRAGONS!" for hours on end.

They've done a good job with the plots in season 3 I think.

A lot of the Kings Landing plot this season has taken the plot from the book and expanded on it/rearranged things to do it in a bit of a different way, and I think it's been very strong.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
ADWD
Yeah, that chapter has been one of my favorites, mainly because when taking Janos out, Jon says that this is wrong. I love knowing why he said that, and knowing that Janos, thinking he's gotten a reprieve from a stupid boy, is about to take his head off himself. Then he calls for the block.

ADWD
And the nod is a perfect end to the chapter. If done right, that whole scene is going to translate really well on TV.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ADWD
And the nod is a perfect end to the chapter. If done right, that whole scene is going to translate really well on TV.

ADWD
I've been saying that Jon's development didn't really start in the books until he gets back to the wall and makes his choices. I don't really get the dislike for how the show has handled him so far, because I don't see this stuff as anything but set up.

Game of Thrones nominated for 4 Critics Choice TV Awards
  • Best Drama
  • Best Supporting Actor – Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
  • Best Supporting Actress – Emilia Clarke
  • Best Guest Performer – Diana Rigg

Report: Game of Thrones to return to Iceland for Season 4 filming

I'm glad to see Nikolaj Coster-Waldau get that award. He's been pretty amazing this season.

Side note: Did anybody see The Norwegian film, Headhunters? (When I ask like that, it sounds kinda far-fetched, haha) He's in it, and is really good in it. It's a good movie to see anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom