• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Series
I've been telling people I know to just read the books because there's no way they'd stay unspoiled for four or five plus years. There's always going to be that one asshole, like the guys that bought the last volume of Harry Potter early and then drove by every Barnes and Noble in town at midnight launches and screamed the conclusion to the series out their window.

The friends that I watch GoT with regularly are a mix but there's about 5 non-book readers and they love the show, and have remained unspoiled. They've been able to keep their experience in a vacuum... i.e. watching the show, some extras on the Blu-Ray and that's about it.

I had another friend that was a non-book reader, and the problem is that he got more into the show and started to look for stuff online to help him flesh out the backstory, and he got spoiled almost immediately. Once you start to do that, you can only avoid spoilers for so long (which is usually not long.)

ASOS
For damage control, maybe a trusted book reader could post something like if it were up to them, they'd ban people who posted real and fake spoilers? Would that work? Grr, I hate that that just happened.

Edit: And we STILL have that broken spoiler tag on this page.
I've already done enough damage spoiling mods by pming them, grr.

ASOS
It's been edited, best to just leave it be and forget it happened. We're still on Tuesday prior to the Sunday showing, so hopefully only a few people caught it and it won't get much attention over the next few days.

Fey

Banned
[ASoS/Season3]
His post originally read "Robb dies in the next episode, lawls". That's verbatim.

ASOS/Season 3
Wooooooooooooow that is a dick move. :/ Hopefully people don't take it too seriously but like someone there said, it's hard not to believe it when people are taking it so seriously.

There are 2 guys in the no-book thread "speculating" a whole lot of stuff that is really only possible to come up with if you've read the books (who Jon Snow's mother is, etc). However, they protected themselves by stating that all this speculation must not be confirmed or denied by book readers complaining to mods or them because that would then confirm the spoilers. It's like a protection field.

Not sure if they really are book readers, but it definitely looks like spoiler material. :\

ASOS
For damage control, maybe a trusted book reader could post something like if it were up to them, they'd ban people who posted real and fake spoilers? Would that work? Grr, I hate that that just happened.
ASOS
In these cases I usually feel like the best damage control is just distraction rather than trying to undo it or discuss is needlessly. I'll go over there and post some youtube vids or something.

methodman

Banned
Asos
so upset. Book readers should not be allowed to post in the no book thread, period. I've been saying that since day 1. Poor show fans, spoiled only a handful of days before the show. What a dbag move. Ugh.

ASOS
In these cases I usually feel like the best damage control is just distraction rather than trying to undo it or discuss is needlessly. I'll go over there and post some youtube vids or something.

ASOS
True, I would try to steer the discussion back to Jon and his possible mom if not for being a book reader lol. Just be sure to remind them NOT to read the youtube comments >.<

Tacitus_

Asos
so upset. Book readers should not be allowed to post in the no book thread, period. I've been saying that since day 1. Poor show fans, spoiled only a handful of days before the show. What a dbag move. Ugh.

ASOS
Nothing is going to stop drive-by posts that have intentional spoilers.

Yonafunu

There are 2 guys in the no-book thread "speculating" a whole lot of stuff that is really only possible to come up with if you've read the books (who Jon Snow's mother is, etc). However, they protected themselves by stating that all this speculation must not be confirmed or denied by book readers complaining to mods or them because that would then confirm the spoilers. It's like a protection field.

Not sure if they really are book readers, but it definitely looks like spoiler material. :\

Don't do whatever the hell you're doing right now in the no-book thread. You're drawing attention to the speculation some of them are having, and making it abundantly clear it's probably true. Just leave it alone.
You're being waaay too suspicious and paranoid, and it's not helping.

Or people pertending not to be book readers. Banning book readers does essentially nothing.

Yeah, the Lyanna speculation sorta strikes me as coming flying out of nowhere, since I can't see how anyone who hasn't read the books would have made that connection. All we know about Lyanna via the show is that she was: Roberts beloved. Ned's sister. Kidnapped by the horrible Targ. Killed at some point during the rebellion. The only people to speak highly of Raegar were Barristan and Jorah, briefly. BUT: I also wouldn't want to slap someone with a ban who'd been pointed in that direction by a book reading friend. Which looks to be the case here. And honestly, WE don't even know if that's a spoiler at this point :p

Edit: Also, the above. Don't allude to people's spec being true or not. Not cool.

I haven't watched the DVD extras but isn't that where the speculation in the other thread came from? Doesn't it go into detail about the Rebellion and the fact that Lyanna was "kidnapped" by Rhaegar?

I haven't watched the DVD extras but isn't that where the speculation in the other thread came from? Doesn't it go into detail about the Rebellion and the fact that Lyanna was "kidnapped" by Rhaegar?

Of the extras I have seen, all of that is told from Robert's POV. So yeah, it talks about the kidnapping and the like, but makes it seem as if Rhaegar murdered her/has her murdered. Paints him as a total monster. Even the the other point of view (Dany's brother who's name I can NEVER spell correctly and can't be arsed to look up right now) doesn't mention that he possibly loved her.

Tacitus_

COK
Only that he kidnapped her and she died in his care. The Tower of Joy wasn't in the show and House of the Undying had the prophesies cut

Yonafunu

It says
Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, yes. But those extras are told from the perspectives of Robert and Ned (I think), so there is no indication of them having any feelings for each other.

Gotcha. It is fishy but I have no idea how it would be proved. I can't think of any way to make the connection with the material covered in the show/extras, though.

LordCanti

Gotcha. It is fishy but I have no idea how it would be proved. I can't think of any way to make the connection with the material covered in the show/extras, though.

[series]
If the extras said specifically that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna before the rebellion, I think I could have made the connection to Jon Snow with just that information. It would have been a stretch though, and I definitely wouldn't have posted about it in the non-book-reader thread for scrutiny. I guess it's not technically a spoiler since we don't know ourselves as book readers, but...yeah...it's so much more likely that he is a book reader and not someone that just figured it out.

Yonafunu

[series]
If the extras said specifically that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna before the rebellion, I think I could have made the connection to Jon Snow with just that information. It would have been a stretch though, and I definitely wouldn't have posted about it in the non-book-reader thread for scrutiny. I guess it's not technically a spoiler since we don't know ourselves as book readers, but...yeah...it's so much more likely that he is a book reader and not someone that just figured it out.

series
Well, he did say he was discussing it with a friend, so I'm guessing that his friend has read the books. I'm pretty sure the poster in question has not read the books, or at least not all of them. I might recall him/her saying they've read the first book, but don't quote me on this. I'm not sure about this at all.

Looking back on his post history, he made the Roose and Ramsay connection, a little early and pretty clairvoyantly. But if he gets his jollies playing innocent, then whatever. He's not doing any real harm.

Looking back on his post history, he made the Roose and Ramsay connection, a little early and pretty clairvoyantly. But if he gets his jollies playing innocent, then whatever. He's not doing any real harm.

I've been watching that guy for awhile now, but if he is a secret book reader, he hasn't tripped up in any obvious way. Unfortunately, it's hard to just know if someone is being an ass or not.

series
I hope this theory that Rhaegar is Jon's father isn't true. I want Jon and Dany to be a couple at the end, joining forces to fight the threat from behind the Wall. Dany beside Jon, Drogon beside Ghost. Ice and Fire, it would be perfect. Jon being Dany's nephew would make that kind of icky, even if keeping it in the family has been Targaryen tradition.

I know it sounds cheesy but Martin could kill Jon in the final battle and have Dany survive with his child inside her to make it bittersweet. As much as Martin loves misery I think a story that people have been following for so long needs a satisfying ending that has a uplifting positive note to it.

Crisco

Banned
ASOS
With the books having been out so long and just how "big" the RW wedding is, I honestly thought it would be impossible for it not to get spoiled for anyone who regularly used the internet. You'd have to be hella disciplined when it comes to reading about GoT to avoid it, and even then, that won't stop some random asshole from spoiling it in a completely unrelated site/topic.

LordCanti

ASOS
With the books having been out so long and just how "big" the RW is, I honestly thought it would be impossible for it not to get spoiled for anyone who regularly used the internet. You'd have to be hella disciplined when it comes to reading about GoT to avoid it, and even then, that won't stop some random asshole from spoiling it in a completely unrelated site/topic.

Series
personally, I knew that something like this would happen the minute I heard that they were delaying the episode a week. I knew that some dickwad wouldn't be able to contain himself.

FStop7

Banned
series
I hope this theory that Rhaegar is Jon's father isn't true. I want Jon and Dany to be a couple at the end, joining forces to fight the threat from behind the Wall. Dany beside Jon, Drogon beside Ghost. Ice and Fire, it would be perfect. Jon being Dany's nephew would make that kind of icky, even if keeping it in the family has been Targaryen tradition.

I know it sounds cheesy but Martin could kill Jon in the final battle and have Dany survive with his child inside her to make it bittersweet. As much as Martin loves misery I think a story that people have been following for so long needs a satisfying ending that has a uplifting positive note to it.

HAHAHAHAHA

If you think this story has a happy ending then you haven't been paying attention.

I've been watching that guy for awhile now, but if he is a secret book reader, he hasn't tripped up in any obvious way. Unfortunately, it's hard to just know if someone is being an ass or not.

Yeah, I've been watching him closely as well. There are other, worse people (HyruleGuardian is one of the worst) who have admitted to reading at least the first few books who then take that info and speculate, but this J=R+L thing came out of nowhere. It's also suspicious that one poster says "Hey maybe Lyana is his mom?" and then the next one says "Oh yeah and then it makes the most sense for Rhaegar to be his dad right!"

I'm taking screenshots of all of these posts for future consideration. It was proposed to me by another poster that us book readers should form a sort of "norther conspiracy." Keep an eye on that thread, take screencaps and info, and then build a case against some of these people. If someone manages to "guess" 2 or 3 major events with accuracy then we'd have some evidence they are trolling/spoiling and they could be removed from the thread.

Crisco

Banned
I mean, to be fair, most of the evidence for [series]
R+L=J
is in the first book, really the first few chapters.

ASOS
Straight up lied in the other thread about missing the original post with the spoiler. Hopefully that keeps a few mods from being completely spoiled :/ Cyan in particular.

Iksenpets

Banned
series

Series
I've never understood the popularity of this ending idea. All of this chaos somehow ends up with something that neat and clean? And beyond that, I don't see anything to suggest and Jon and Dany would even like each other. Brooding and dutiful isn't exactly Dany's type.

LordCanti

Yeah, I've been watching him closely as well. There are other, worse people (HyruleGuardian is one of the worst) who have admitted to reading at least the first few books who then take that info and speculate, but this J=R+L thing came out of nowhere. It's also suspicious that one poster says "Hey maybe Lyana is his mom?" and then the next one says "Oh yeah and then it makes the most sense for Rhaegar to be his dad right!"

I'm taking screenshots of all of these posts for future consideration. It was proposed to me by another poster that us book readers should form a sort of "norther conspiracy." Keep an eye on that thread, take screencaps and info, and then build a case against some of these people. If someone manages to "guess" 2 or 3 major events with accuracy then we'd have some evidence they are trolling/spoiling and they could be removed from the thread.

Series

Start by not posting in the non-book reader thread about how some of their speculation is spot on. That makes anyone who read that speculation go "Dammit, that must have been true"

Munin

Something that I wonder is, will the ASOS
Red Wedding really be such a big deal for non-book readers?
The thing is that I feel especially in this 3rd season the show tries to cover so much ground with every episode that some characters only get a few minutes, if not seconds of screen time per episode. So would they really care about
someone like Robb or Catelyn? I feel my personal attachment to these characters mainly comes from the books and I'm now projecting it onto the characters on the screen, but non-readers don't get that.

suzu

series

I'm sorry, but.. BARF. lol

ASOS
went back and re read the RW passage... Just had to experience it one more time. I'll never forget the feels that I felt after reading it. Anger, confusion, astonishment, etc all rolled into one. Talk about goosebumps. The drumbeat was basically my heartbeat, lol.
Can't wait!

Something that I wonder is, will the ASOS
Red Wedding really be such a big deal for non-book readers?
The thing is that I feel especially in this 3rd season the show tries to cover so much ground with every episode that some characters only get a few minutes, if not seconds of screen time per episode. So would they really care about
someone like Robb or Catelyn? I feel my personal attachment to these characters mainly comes from the books and I'm now projecting it onto the characters on the screen, but non-readers don't get that.

Considering [ASOS]
their reaction in the other thread to that spoiler? Yeah, they are going to care.

Bread

Banned
you can't undo a spoiler, everyone who saw it in that thread is ruined. sucks,but theres nothing you can really do about it.
basically, fuck that guy.

[ASoS/Season3]
His post originally read "Robb dies in the next episode, lawls". That's verbatim.
People are the worst
ASOS
went back and re read the RW passage... Just had to experience it one more time. I'll never forget the feels that I felt after reading it. Anger, confusion, astonishment, etc all rolled into one. Talk about goosebumps. The drumbeat was basically my heartbeat, lol.
Can't wait!

Yeah pretty much, pretty incredible writing

traveler

Not Wario
All tags refer to SOS

What the hell. We were almost there. I kept reading and hoping we could just make it a little bit further, but, nope, that Memorial Day break cost them. Absolutely no justification for something like this, ever. Perm'd I hope.

If anything,
show watchers will care more, since so much has actually been shown from Robb's perspective. In the book, he is always at a distance from us. There, he represents more the hope that the Starks win than he does a character in his own right, as he does in the show.

Also, while, yes his marriage was stupid and obviously cost them, I don't really get how the blame could ever be shifted to him. Lest we forget, Robb was Frey's liege lord, as in he should not have had to negotiate with him in the first place and denying him access to the bridge, regardless of concessions or no concessions, would be tantamount to treachery. Frey was a scumbag from the beginning and he had no right to demand anything of Robb nor does he have a leg to stand on in terms of Robb betraying him first.

Amir0x

Banned
ASOS
I remember being all "What the hell? That's odd. Hmmm...this is pretty stran...What the...WHAT?! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" That was probably GRRM's finest hour.

Back in the day when I read that...I just got up, put the book down and went outside to smoke a joint. Complete silence and empty looks over the horizon

ASOS
I remember being all "What the hell? That's odd. Hmmm...this is pretty stran...What the...WHAT?! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" That was probably GRRM's finest hour.

ASOS
For me, it was just pure astonishment more than anything. If you weren't paying attention to all the clues and foreshadowing, which I wasn'tm you had NO idea it was coming. And the way GRRM pulled that off... from Cat clawing her face off in despair to "...the Lannisters send their regards"...I hope D&D do a good a job as GRRM did if not better. I have faith in them.
Bring on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom