• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

I'm being very careful not to read any of the other posts in this thread, but I have a question for you guys...

(obviously I'll read any posts that are directly in response to this)

So far after watching each season I have read the corresponding books.

But I understand that Season 3 only covers the first half of the 3rd book.

I read all my books on my Kindle. Roughly what % of the 3rd book has the 3rd season covered so far?

Is there a "safe point" for which I won't be spoiled on any of the major events of Season 4? Or is everything all out of order and it's impossible to read any of the 3rd book without spoiling Season 4?

Roughly 57% (End of the 9th Arya Chapter). It won't be a 1:1 though it's close.
Biggest issue will be Jon's storyline since it's a bit further along in the book; at that point Jon had already escaped the Wildlings, who at that point know he had been spying for the watch all along, and he's racing back to Castle Black

My suggestion is to wait for the end of the season, and then read all the books before the start of the 4th season. You'll enjoy both the books AND the show more. Trust me.

Yeah, the show is pulling from all over already. Either read them all or wait... but really, read them all.

I'm planning to eventually, I just love the series so much that I'm trying to savor it and resist the temptation of reading all the books in like 2 weeks.

After this season is over I'm definitely going to start reading A Storm of Swords, and I guess I'll have to see if I can resist the temptation to plow through the whole thing when I start getting beyond the plot points of Season 3.

Hindle

Banned
Not sure if this constitutes spoilers but ask me to tag if it does.

I'm wondering what they're going to do with
Bran
He's barely featured in S3 and we know he plays little part in future books

Noema, I'm not clicking on what you highlighted for fear it might contain a spoiler I don't want to read.

But I'll keep that "Arya - 57%" thing in mind as a possible stopping point.

Noema

Noema, I'm not clicking on what you highlighted for fear it might contain a spoiler I don't want to read.

Don't click it. I deliberately hid it from you. ;) It just contains something that's happene in the books but not in the show yet.

Yonafunu

Yeah, don't click that.

Noema, why would you even write that? He didn't ask for any story details.

Massa

I'm planning to eventually, I just love the series so much that I'm trying to savor it and resist the temptation of reading all the books in like 2 weeks.

After this season is over I'm definitely going to start reading A Storm of Swords, and I guess I'll have to see if I can resist the temptation to plow through the whole thing when I start getting beyond the plot points of Season 3.

I think stopping midway through ASOS will be next to impossible - see the latest Theon and Gendry scenes in the show for an example of what that would be like.

The issue is that different character arcs will have different stopping points for season 3 as they each fit for a season of TV, so I don't really see a point where you could do this without spoiling yourself.

I guess if you keep your stopping point on the conservative side, it would be possible, but there would probably be some arcs that have gone further in the show than what you'll have read.

When does the last episode air?

Next week's is the 2nd, and the final episode of the season is on the 9th.

The issue is that different character arcs will have different stopping points for season 3 as they each fit for a season of TV, so I don't really see a point where you could do this without spoiling yourself.

I guess if you keep your stopping point on the conservative side, it would be possible, but there would probably be some arcs that have gone further in the show than what you'll have read.

Ehh, it's not like I need it to line up perfectly.

I'm just looking for a point that covers the major events of Season 3 without any of the biggest events from Season 4.

I understand that literally keeping it perfect is impossible, I'm just looking for the best possible stoppage point that strikes a balance for a stopping point.

Would other people here agree that "Arya 9 - 57%" is a solid stopping point?

traveler

Not Wario
(SOS)
Do we have any idea what the final episode is going to cover? Is it just going to be a calm after the storm tying things up episode or are they actually going to have more after the Red Wedding? I gather the title means mother- book 3 epilogue or even Joff's wedding perhaps?

NG28

Thanks. I've been waiting for the season to end so I could watch them all together. I don't think I have the patience to wait another two weeks though.

Tacitus_

I'm just looking for a point that covers the major events of Season 3 without any of the biggest events from Season 4.

I understand that literally keeping it perfect is impossible, I'm just looking for the best possible stoppage point that strikes a balance for a stopping point.

It might have some of the early S4 stuff. Can't really say since this season hasn't finished yet. But otherwise it's as good a stopping point as any.

(SOS)
Do we have any idea what the final episode is going to cover? Is it just going to be a calm after the storm tying things up episode or are they actually going to have more after the Red Wedding? I gather the title means mother- book 3 epilogue or even Joff's wedding perhaps?

ASOS
Personally I'm expecting some Fire & Blood from Dany

Probably around there, but ask again when the season's actually over and we might be able to give a better answer.
(SOS)

Some of the probable episode 10 content MAJOR ASOS obviously:
RW fallout in Kings Landing
Bran and Rickon split (that might happen in ep 9 though)
Bran and Sam at the Nightfort/Coldhands
Davos probably saves Gendry at Dragonstone, possibly the letter from Castle Black
Jon returns to Castle Black
Conquest of Yunkai/Mhysa scene
Something with the Iron Born (probably Balon's death/we know Yara will be in the season)Post RW Ayra/The Hound
Lysa and Robin are apparently in an episode this season, so there is probably something with them and Littlefinger
Possible Beric/Thoros/Cat

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm being very careful not to read any of the other posts in this thread, but I have a question for you guys...

(obviously I'll read any posts that are directly in response to this)

So far after watching each season I have read the corresponding books.

But I understand that Season 3 only covers the first half of the 3rd book.

I read all my books on my Kindle. Roughly what % of the 3rd book has the 3rd season covered so far?

Is there a "safe point" for which I won't be spoiled on any of the major events of Season 4? Or is everything all out of order and it's impossible to read any of the 3rd book without spoiling Season 4?

Yeah it's going to get pretty hard to do this. Season 3 is already using some book five material in one of its plot threads, and I think most people are expecting at least one book four plot thread to be moved forward into season four. And after that, books four and five run parallel to each other, rather than one following the other, and are probably going to be merged into one big thing on the show, so that season five will probably be something like the first half of book four and the first half of book five, with season 6 being the back half of each.

Trasher

Probably around there, but ask again when the season's actually over and we might be able to give a better answer.

Some of the probable episode 10 content MAJOR ASOS obviously:
RW fallout in Kings Landing
Bran and Rickon split (that might happen in ep 9 though)
Bran and Sam at the Nightfort/Coldhands
Davos probably saves Gendry at Dragonstone, possibly the letter from Castle Black
Jon returns to Castle Black
Conquest of Yunkai/Mhysa scene
Something with the Iron Born (probably Balon's death/we know Yara will be in the season)Post RW Ayra/The Hound
Lysa and Robin are apparently in an episode this season, so there is probably something with them and Littlefinger
Possible Beric/Thoros/Cat

Beyond ASoS (series)
Will be interesting to see what happens with Davos in the show now. Wonder if they will completely cut out the White Harbor stuff and take him a different way. Might even be possible that he goes north with Stannis? I feel like his storyline could change a lot in the future. Any theories?

Massa

Here are the synopses for 9 and 10, for reference:

The Rains of Castamere:
Robb presents himself to Walder Frey, and Edmure meets his bride. Jon faces his harshest test yet. Bran discovers a new gift. Daario and Jorah debate how to take Yunkai. House Frey joins with House Tully. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

Mhysa:
Joffrey challenges Tywin. Bran tells a ghost story. In Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters. Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or a liberator. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

Trasher

The Rains of Castamere:
Robb presents himself to Walder Frey, and Edmure meets his bride. Jon faces his harshest test yet. Bran discovers a new gift. Daario and Jorah debate how to take Yunkai. House Frey joins with House Tully. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

Mhysa:
Joffrey challenges Tywin. Bran tells a ghost story. In Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters. Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or a liberator. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

So Bran discovers warging into Hodor maybe?

Beyond ASoS (series)
Will be interesting to see what happens with Davos in the show now. Wonder if they will completely cut out the White Harbor stuff and take him a different way. Might even be possible that he goes north with Stannis? I feel like his storyline could change a lot in the future. Any theories?
Series
Well Davos does go north with Stannis, but stays at Eastwatch by the Sea instead of going to fight Mance and go to Castle Black. It will be interesting to see what they do with him (and a lot of the storylines beyond ASOS), they may expand on his journey a bit. More Davos the better IMO, Liam is great.
ASOS
Pretty sure he'll warg Summer for the first time to save Jon. He's only dreamt from Summer's perspective thus far, never assumed control while awake.

Yeah I think that's what it is.

-----------------------

Also worth noting that episode 10 has a 70 minute block on the schedule.

Trasher

ASOS
Pretty sure he'll warg Summer for the first time to save Jon. He's only dreamt from Summer's perspective thus far, never assumed control while awake.

Ah okay. Couldn't remember. Does he warg into Hodor before or after Summer? I wonder if they will include the Hodor warging.

Also worth noting that episode 10 has a 70 minute block on the schedule.

That's great news!

Do you remember if the season 2 finale had a similar block? I thought I remember it also being a bit longer.

Iksenpets

Banned
Ah okay. Couldn't remember. Does he warg into Hodor before or after Summer? I wonder if they will include the Hodor warging.

Series
Hodor isn't til Dance with Dragons. I think they've got to include it when they get there. It's a big part of Bran's story getting creepier and creepier.

As for Davos, I think they'll bring him to Castle Black for an episode or two, but he's got to clear out eventually to allow the Stannis/Jon relationship the space it needs. The White Harbor plot seems too big to cut entirely, plus it leads to an opportunity to maybe get Osha and Rickon back on screen sooner, if we follow Davos to Skagos.

Series
Hodor isn't til Dance with Dragons. I think they've got to include it when they get there. It's a big part of Bran's story getting creepier and creepier.

As for Davos, I think they'll bring him to Castle Black for an episode or two, but he's got to clear out eventually to allow the Stannis/Jon relationship the space it needs. The White Harbor plot seems too big to cut entirely, plus it leads to an opportunity to maybe get Osha and Rickon back on screen sooner, if we follow Davos to Skagos.

All the post ASOS stuff and series spoilers that we're discussing really just makes me realize, holy SHIT we're not that far off from some of this stuff.

Trasher

Series

Weird. I could have sworn that Bran very briefly gets into Hodor's head.

The Rains of Castamere:

Mhysa:

Regarding the episode 10 synopsis: [ASoS/ ADwD]
is the "Bran tells a ghost story" probably referring to the Nightfort? So are we guessing that they'll leave off Bran's story this season with him probably meeting Sam at the Nightfort and maybe going beyond the Wall with Coldhands?

I'm really curious how they'll handle that if thats the case, since Bran really does not have much material at all after that. Its basically him going beyond the Wall, traveling for a couple chapters; then get attacked by Wights and meet the Children of the Forest and Bloodraven and becomes Tree Bran. I guess they could stretch that out and I suppose Tree Bran could be a nifty means of using flashbacks, if they wanted.

Just seems crazy that it seems plausible that the show could basically get to and get through ADwD material with Bran as soon as next season. We could be getting the TV show spoiling future books that soon. Makes me wonder how they'll handle Rickon and Osha splitting up too. Will they just go off screen or will the TV show actually give Rickon some attention!?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Whoa, I leave for a few days and two people (The Anti-Monitor and Dysun) got banned? What happened? Guess I'll head to the non-book thread (as lurker only of course) and find out. Just read about the twat who spoiled episode 9, what an asshole. :(

AFFC
I am surprised at the amount of hate this gets. I've just started reading it and am 25% in and have enjoyed the opening chapters. Does it tail off or something? It's anything but boring so far.

It is not a bad book by any means...just remember that some people had to wait FIVE YEARS for it to come out and AFFC did not even have some fan-favorite characters.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I really enjoyed AFFC
Some ADWD stuff..
And as for fan favorites... Danny and Jon sure, but I thought it was brilliant to not do anything with Tyrion in the books. It made Cercei and Jamie's paranoia about him much more effective with the possibility that he was still in Kings Landing, rather than knowing he was already across the Narrow Sea. It much like my dislike of Martin revealing Stoneheart at the end of ASOS rather than wait and introduce her at the end of AFFC when Brienne meets her. You hear stories about Stoneheart through AFFC from various character chapters, and it would have been very neat not to know the whole time who it was, because I don't think anything really would have given it away until you get to that realization by Brienne and it would have been very, very cool to have that reveal be a surprise to us too.

My favorite part upon a reread ASOS
is by FAR Frey's line about "We'll have music, such sweet music, and wine, HEH, the red will run, and we'll put some wrongs aright."

Chilling on the reread. Chilling.

Equally chilling/interesting:

ASOS
Walder Frey's "mayhaps" after Catelyn asks for bread and salt. It's a nod to the "lord of the crossing" game Big and Little Walder played with Bran; in the game, whoever plays the lord of the crossing asks the other player why they want to cross, and the other player is allowed to lie and break any oaths he swears if he sneaks the word "mayhaps" into his statement without the lord noticing.

Didn't really want to post this in the other thread, but from book to screen Addy's Robert Baratheon is pretty much perfect and some of the extra lines they gave him are some of the few bits of material I felt were better than the source material.

Basically I love how they gave him a response to what his critics in the book claimed to be his reaction to a Dothraki invasion.

exYle

ASOS
Walder Frey's "mayhaps" after Catelyn asks for bread and salt. It's a nod to the "lord of the crossing" game Big and Little Walder played with Bran; in the game, whoever plays the lord of the crossing asks the other player why they want to cross, and the other player is allowed to lie and break any oaths he swears if he sneaks the word "mayhaps" into his statement without the lord noticing.

Holy crap.

ASOS

o_O Just keeps getting better

ASOS

I said God Damn!

"My lord!" Catelyn had almost forgotten. "Some food would be most welcome. We have ridden many leagues in the rain." Walder Frey's mouth moved in and out. "Food, heh. A loaf of bread, a bite of cheese, mayhaps a sausage."

tauroxd

I really enjoyed AFFC
Some ADWD stuff..
And as for fan favorites... Danny and Jon sure, but I thought it was brilliant to not do anything with Tyrion in the books. It made Cercei and Jamie's paranoia about him much more effective with the possibility that he was still in Kings Landing, rather than knowing he was already across the Narrow Sea. It much like my dislike of Martin revealing Stoneheart at the end of ASOS rather than wait and introduce her at the end of AFFC when Brienne meets her. You hear stories about Stoneheart through AFFC from various character chapters, and it would have been very neat not to know the whole time who it was, because I don't think anything really would have given it away until you get to that realization by Brienne and it would have been very, very cool to have that reveal be a surprise to us too.

You are so right, that would have been amazing. But Proably GRRM didn't want to make you feel so sad about everything that happened when finishing ASOS so that's whay he did that. But that reveal of AFFC would have been so amazing...

ASOS

You are an amazing person for pointing that out!

Lkr

so i found out the best way asos
to disguise spoilers is to really just imply that there will be an attack on casterly rock. when you do this, there are plenty of possibilities for death. my friend asked me what happened in the non book thread earlier since he saw the aftermath and i told him someone posted a pretty blunt comment on what happens during that attack...

Noema

ASOS

Totally missed that. That's awesome o_O

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You are so right, that would have been amazing. But Proably GRRM didn't want to make you feel so sad about everything that happened when finishing ASOS so that's whay he did that. But that reveal of AFFC would have been so amazing...

ASOS
I don't know. For me, a lot of the gut punch from the RW was Joffrey just up and dying out of the blue at the wedding feast. I knew the little shit would get it, but not that soon.

Iksenpets

Banned
Regarding the episode 10 synopsis: [ASoS/ ADwD]
is the "Bran tells a ghost story" probably referring to the Nightfort? So are we guessing that they'll leave off Bran's story this season with him probably meeting Sam at the Nightfort and maybe going beyond the Wall with Coldhands?

I'm really curious how they'll handle that if thats the case, since Bran really does not have much material at all after that. Its basically him going beyond the Wall, traveling for a couple chapters; then get attacked by Wights and meet the Children of the Forest and Bloodraven and becomes Tree Bran. I guess they could stretch that out and I suppose Tree Bran could be a nifty means of using flashbacks, if they wanted.

Just seems crazy that it seems plausible that the show could basically get to and get through ADwD material with Bran as soon as next season. We could be getting the TV show spoiling future books that soon. Makes me wonder how they'll handle Rickon and Osha splitting up too. Will they just go off screen or will the TV show actually give Rickon some attention!?

Series
My guess as to how they're handling Rickon and Osha: Ramsay mentioned going on a hunt for Bran and Rickon, and it's clearly too late for it to happen this season. Also, by the end of this season Bran will have probably crossed the wall. So I'm thinking Ramsay hunting Rickon and Osha will take up at least a part of next season to keep those actors on the payroll.

Also, I never noticed all this subtext in Walder Frey's speech. Holy shit.

Speevy

Banned
I'm really interested in

series

what the showrunners will devote the most time to once Robb, Cat, Joffrey, and Tywin are dead. I know there are dozens of characters on this show, but they'll have to choose some storyline that serves as their main draw, right?

I'm really interested in

series

what the showrunners will devote the most time to once Robb, Cat, Joffrey, and Tywin are dead. I know there are dozens of characters on this show, but they'll have to choose some storyline that serves as their main draw, right?

I would guess that (series)
Cersei, Jon and Dany trying to lead in their various environments will be one of the big focuses in Seasons 5 and 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom