• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can book readers please help monitor the non-reader thread and report things to mods?

The user 'Zoso Achilles' really gave away something big in the other thread, in a ridiculous way.

One of the readers in the other thread speculated that Varys just want what is good for the realm and doesn't particularly care who is King.

Zoso Achillies, who is clearly a book reader, came in the thread just to quote that person and say "lol".

Now it seems obvious to anyone with half a brain that further down the story we're going to learn that Varys does care about who is King, and that has huge implications for his character and the story in general.

The person whose post he quoted said he's done with this thread because of this sort of speculation.

So again, I asked the 95% of people in this thread who do a good job of not spoiling things to help monitor the other thread more and report things to mods.

While I would avoid commenting on any kind of speculation in the show thread, that's not a spoiler at all and more of a correction of what I think most people would think is a misread of Varys' intentions in the show. Varys has claimed in the show that he serves the realm. By definition he "cares" about who is king. I think part of the dust-up over there is just different ways of saying the same thing--Varys may not align himself with one king come hell or high water but he is obviously *concerned* with who is on the throne as far as it serves the peace of the realm.

He's not a Kingsguard.

Massa

I feel bad for all the (SOS)
female, dog loving viewers who think Robb and his direwolf are the coolest - I know I wanted to cry and I'm not an emotional person generally

MAJOR ASOS
Robb grabbed the edge of the table and forced himself to stand. “Mother,” he said, “Grey Wind...”

Yonafunu

You guys are aware that ASOS
everyone who's watching the next episode with non-readers has a moral obligation to record their reactions, right?

Get off me dude, anyone with half a brain watching the show know Varys cares about who is king. That's what the guy said, that's what I responded to. Are you for real? Can anyone watch this show and say Varys doesn't give a shit? Really?

ChaosXVI

Absolutely cannot wait to see my fiance's reaction from ASOS
Robb and Catelyn both being killed...I'm just curious how severely the show will portray it. Will it show the death of Grey Wind as well or maybe even a brief shot of the head-reversal? That would be pretty fucking ballsy.

Absolutely cannot wait to see my fiance's reaction from ASOS
Robb and Catelyn both being killed...I'm just curious how severely the show will portray it. Will it show the death of Grey Wind as well or maybe even a brief shot of the head-reversal? That would be pretty fucking ballsy.

I'll be disappointed if they don't to be honest. It will have such an impact.

God I can't wait.

Going to be so glorious when:

ASOS
Rob and Catelyn go to the red wedding, have a pretty nice time, meet up with Arya and then march on Casterly rock for the battle.

If you are going to look forward to meltdowns...let us really look forward to some real ones!

tauroxd

Going to be so glorious when:

ASOS
Rob and Catelyn go to the red wedding, have a pretty nice time, meet up with Arya and then march on Casterly rock for the battle.

If you are going to look forward to meltdowns...let us really look forward to some real ones!

I'm afraid of something like that. But well, they killed Ned.

jett

D-Member
Six days until
I revel in the most glorious TV reactions of all time. Bitter tears will be overflowing from the interwebs.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Yeah I'm pretty much trying to watch the show with as many people as I can next week.

The tricky part is trying to downplay the episode... a lot of the fun is lost if non-readers watch the entire time expecting their minds to be blown.

The few peeps I've been trying to make plans with are suggesting we wait until the actual finale to get together, and I'm like "well, I bet this episode will be really good too................."

The tricky part is trying to downplay the episode... a lot of the fun is lost if non-readers watch the entire time expecting their minds to be blown.

The few peeps I've been trying to make plans with are suggesting we wait until the actual finale to get together, and I'm like "well, I bet this episode will be really good too................."

ASOS
It would have been kind of cool if they had made it episode 8, or had something else huge happen in episode 9 and then the Red Wedding happen in 10. People have been conditioned to expect something big to happen in 9th episode of every season.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
My gf just went and googled
the red wedding
. Damn her! Then she says she doesn't care about the series that much, even though she watches and discusses the show regularly. RAAAAGE!!!!!!!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My gf just went and googled
the red wedding
. Damn her! Then she says she doesn't care about the series that much, even though she watches and discusses the show regularly. RAAAAGE!!!!!!!

Jerk, you should have some browsing software on to ban crap like that.

Moff

I wanted to watch the finale together with my non-reading friends, because of the big
attack on casterly rock!!
we dont know about memorial day in europe here, though, so sadly the already set date is now for episode 9 and not the big finale, what a shame.
well never mind, I'm sure its gonna be fun anway.

Shawsie64

Banned
Just sent my friend an email saying this (ASOS):

"Man I can’t wait for the battle at Casterly rock.. Cant really call that a spoiler as the last episode pretty much pointed it out! It’s the details that make it great that I wont spoil.. Bring on episode 9!"

Hes going to be pissed for me "spoiling" it but its going to be glorious and so worth it throwing him off the trail.

Ikael

ASOS
It would have been kind of cool if they had made it episode 8, or had something else huge happen in episode 9 and then the Red Wedding happen in 10. People have been conditioned to expect something big to happen in 9th episode of every season.

Yup, I would really love it if the next season would end like this [ASOS part II spoilers]:

Ep.8:
Blackwater type of episode focusing in the battle at the wall. Stannis! Stannis!

Ep.9:
Well, there's nothing else, this is just the fallout of *BAM* Oberyn's death omg what the *BAM* Tywin doesn't shit gold *BAM* Shae's dead
Cue credits and a long wait until the next season.

Yesssssss

Lkr

You guys are aware that ASOS
everyone who's watching the next episode with non-readers has a moral obligation to record their reactions, right?

it's going to be hard. i need to find a way to do it. don't click non book readers
i will be at my friend's place. he is a non book reader. two of his friends i don't know will also be there, one is a book reader the other isn't. my friend knows SOMETHING is happening this season and it is going to be big, and he is thinking it is the next episode. i mean a bunch of big things COULD happen in the next episode knowing that a bunch of shit does go down in the rest of the book, i just hope it is a complete shock for him and he goes nuts

Nice!

I have to say that I'm kind of surprised they're casting for Magnar of Thenn and Mace. [ASoS/AFfC]
I figured they would try to really downsize the cast, especially as they move to AFfC material. And I guess Mace is sort of important but he's not a super memorable character to me.

I do wonder whether they introduce [ASoS/AFfC]
the rest of the Greyjoys for next year. Euron and Victarion are probably the casting that I'm most excited to see. Doesn't most of the wrangling for the seastone chair take place chronologically the same time as ASoS? I wonder whether they do that next year or wait for season 5.

Yup, I would really love it if the next season would end like this [ASOS part II spoilers]:

Ep.8:
Blackwater type of episode focusing in the battle at the wall. Stannis! Stannis!

Ep.9:
Well, there's nothing else, this is just the fallout of *BAM* Oberyn's death omg what the *BAM* Tywin doesn't shit gold *BAM* Shae's dead
Cue credits and a long wait until the next season.

Yesssssss

WAIT....ASOS
Shae's dead? *pulls out ASOS*....Oh shit! I wasn't joking when I said reading that final 25% fried my brain a bit.

ASOS (but not really...)
How are you planning on gathering friends over without making it obvious that something huge is about to go down?

Probably the one thing I'm most curious about with the coming episode is [ASoS]
whether or not they kill off the Blackfish. I'm guessing he could end up a couple different ways:
1.) Acts like the Smalljon- flipping the table over Robb, going out swinging before getting his head lopped off.
2.) Maybe he ends up like the Greatjon and gets taken prisoner? Then they could have him escape and make his way back to Riverrun I guess.
3.) He ends up turning back to Riverrun even before the wedding for some reason or another

I'd be kind of disappointed if he died, since he's a cool character and the show killing him off maybe means he doesn't have much of a crucial role to come in the books.

Heavy ASoS Spoilers that will absolutely ruin things, don't click it:

RW: When Rains of Castamere starts playing, all the other sound should just be drowned out for a while as a montage of the massacre starts. Catelyn needs to have her throat slit, and her body needs to be thrown into the river. I'm assuming she won't be naked due to contracts and whatnot. I want shots of them sowing the wolf's head onto Robb's body. A few cuts back and forth between the events inside, and in the camps, including Sandor and Arya. I want Arya to get hit by the Axe in such a way that it really does look like she might have also been killed. See it swinging, then her face or something, then cut to black.

Probably the one thing I'm most curious about with the coming episode is [ASoS]
whether or not they kill off the Blackfish. I'm guessing he could end up a couple different ways:
1.) Acts like the Smalljon- flipping the table over Robb, going out swinging before getting his head lopped off.
2.) Maybe he ends up like the Greatjon and gets taken prisoner? Then they could have him escape and make his way back to Riverrun I guess.
3.) He ends up turning back to Riverrun even before the wedding for some reason or another

I'd be kind of disappointed if he died, since he's a cool character and the show killing him off maybe means he doesn't have much of a crucial role to come in the books.

Series
I will be pissed if they kill him off. The Blackfish still needs to make his glorious escape later.

ASOS (but not really...)
How are you planning on gathering friends over without making it obvious that something huge is about to go down?

I'll be staying with my girlfriend at her house that week. Her parents and siblings are all watching the show now, but none of them except her and myself have read the books. So I'm looking forward to watching all of them lose their shit :)

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Heavy ASoS Spoilers that will absolutely ruin things, don't click it:

RW: When Rains of Castamere starts playing, all the other sound should just be drowned out for a while as a montage of the massacre starts. Catelyn needs to have her throat slit, and her body needs to be thrown into the river. I'm assuming she won't be naked due to contracts and whatnot. I want shots of them sowing Robb's head to the wolf. A few cuts back and forth between the events inside, and in the camps, including Sandor and Arya. I want Arya to get hit by the Axe in such a way that it really does look like she might have also been killed. See it swinging, then her face or something, then cut to black.

I will be pissed if they kill him off.

ASOS
They sew Robb's head on Greywind? I thought it was just the other way around. It's sort of hilarious.

ido

ASOS
I've noticed that the new guy who played the Mountain hasn't been in this season yet... Is there any possible chance of them getting Conan Stevens back from Season 1 for Season 4? He really needs to play the Mountain, imo.

New book reader here. I read the ASOS
Red Wedding a few weeks ago and stopped reading for a couple of a days, I hated it. Brilliantly written because you can tell something bad is coming, but man are the Starks cursed or something? They are basically the good guys and have it the worst while the bad guys mostly still live or get lame deaths. Joffrey's death is so lame and unsatisfying that I wished he didn't die at all.

I'm excited to see how they translate the RW on screen though, hopefully they nail it. This will be the scene that makes or breaks the show IMO. I don't think it will have the same impact with show watchers as with book readers since Robb and Catelyn have been sidelined so much on the show. Catelyn in particular, she had like three lines this season, she's been reduced to such a minor character. A real waste because the actress is great.

I'm curious about what they will do with Talisa since she's attending the wedding. I hope she won't be revealed as a spy, that would be really lame. Maybe she'll take Dacey's role in the wedding and take an axe in the stomach, that could be the reason why they made her pregnant so it will be even more tragic.

Red Wedding a few weeks ago and stopped reading for a couple of a days, I hated it. Brilliantly written because you can tell something bad is coming, but man are the Starks cursed or something? They are basically the good guys and have it the worst while the bad guys mostly still live or get lame deaths. Joffrey's death is so lame and unsatisfying that I wished he didn't die at all.

I'm excited to see how they translate the RW on screen though, hopefully they nail it. This will be the scene that makes or breaks the show IMO. I don't think it will have the same impact with show watchers as with book readers since Robb and Catelyn have been sidelined so much on the show. Catelyn in particular, she had like three lines this season, she's been reduced to such a minor character. A real waste because the actress is great.

I'm curious about what they will do with Talisa since she's attending the wedding. I hope she won't be revealed as a spy, that would be really lame. Maybe she'll take Dacey's role in the wedding and take an axe in the stomach, that could be the reason why they made her pregnant so it will be even more tragic.

ASoS
I disagree about Robb and Cat getting sidelined. Especially Robb. He has had plenty of screen time, and his relationship with Talisa/plenty of gratuitous nudity has definitely made him a fan favorite of the female audience. I remember I walked around my house like an idiot for 15 minutes after reading the chapter. I couldn't even deal with the fact that I had just read that so I really hope that it strikes an even more emotional chord when people SEE it. That's why I want it as brutal as possible. I want it to be burned into television history as the biggest "oh fuck" moment.

ASOS MAJOR SPOILERS
I'm hoping Robb/Greywind is the first thing you see in Episode 10. That didn't come immediately in the book and was mentioned in passing but still was such a gut-punch after all that had happened. Make the opening an aftermath of the RW, show just how much carnage went down, then lead into the reveal that Arya wasn't killed.

ASOS
Yeah I disagree; I think the increased screentime for Robb during last and this season will make the whole thing more tragic. In the books, you don't even see Robb at all in CoK, and you still have some distance to him in ASoS mainly because you only see him from Cat's perspective. They've made him one of the mains in the show.

And to alleviate your anxiety, though D&D have taken some liberties with the show, they always end up on some parallel path with the books. And for the biggest moments of the show (Ned's death, Astapor, Blackwater) they've nailed them. Considering that the RW was what they wanted to get to when they started, I have no doubt that it'll be amazing and tragic.

ASoS
I disagree about Robb and Cat getting sidelined. Especially Robb. He has had plenty of screen time, and his relationship with Talisa/plenty of gratuitous nudity has definitely made him a fan favorite of the female audience. I remember I walked around my house like an idiot for 15 minutes after reading the chapter. I couldn't even deal with the fact that I had just read that so I really hope that it strikes an even more emotional chord when people SEE it. That's why I want it as brutal as possible. I want it to be burned into television history as the biggest "oh fuck" moment.

Maybe Robb not so much, but Catelyn got less screen time than some random prostitutes flashing their tits or minor characters like Shae and Ros. It's pretty hard to get the audience attached to a character if you only show them for ten seconds every other episode.

Anyway, I hope they end the episode with Arya running through the massacre outside praying 'Not today, not today' and then *boom* she gets the axe in the head, falls to the ground. Preferably shot with just her and the Hound's silhouette before the fire in the background.

Cut back inside to Catelyn. She stares at the blood running down her hands. Close up to her face. 'It tickles', she giggles. Then she starts laughing hysterically, insanity in her eyes. Someone grabs her hair from behind, puts a knife on her throat. She stops laughing and says 'No, don't. Don't cut my hair. Ned loves my hair.' Cut to black, we hear the knife slicing, silent credits.

And Talisa needs to escape or die before this, it's Cat's and Robb's tragedy.

And Talisa needs to escape or die before this, it's Cat's and Robb's tragedy.

ASOS
Talisa should die first, IMO. Robb needs to know just how wrong he was and that his actions, at least in part, resulted in the death of his unborn child and heir.

I think despite the differences, the RW will have the impact that D&D and fans are looking for. As others have said they've done a good job of building up Robb in the show as a main character and despite the reduced screen time in Season 3, Catelyn is still a major loss. The only thing I think might weaken the impact is the fact that Catelyn isn't aware that her other boys are "dead." Wondering how they will reconcile that change - are they really going to die not knowing what Theon did?

Very much hyped about the news regarding [ASOS, casting]
The Red Viper. Please don't mess up that casting, even though my dream person will not be cast, PLEASE don't mess it up.

ASOS
I think despite the differences, the RW will have the impact that D&D and fans are looking for. As others have said they've done a good job of building up Robb in the show as a main character and despite the reduced screen time in Season 3, Catelyn is still a major loss. The only thing I think might weaken the impact is the fact that Catelyn isn't aware that her other boys are "dead." Wondering how they will reconcile that change - are they really going to die not knowing what Theon did?

ASOS:
In I think Episode 3, Cat is talking to the Blackfish and breaks down about how she'll never see Bran and Rickon again thinking that they're dead while the Blackfish telling her Robb thinks they're alive. It's not quite the same, but at this point I think it's as close to what we're going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom