• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASOS
I remember being all "What the hell? That's odd. Hmmm...this is pretty stran...What the...WHAT?! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" That was probably GRRM's finest hour.

ASOS
Why didn't he trust Grey Wind. :(

Same with ADWD
Jon misinterpreting Ghost before he gets stabbed.

ASOS
For me, it was just pure astonishment more than anything. If you weren't paying attention to all the clues and foreshadowing, which I wasn'tm you had NO idea it was coming. And the way GRRM pulled that off... from Cat clawing her face off in despair to "...the Lannisters send their regards"...I hope D&D do a good a job as GRRM did if not better. I have faith in them.
Bring on Sunday!

ASOS major
For me, it was the building sense of total dread when Cat started making a big deal about guest rights. I knew something horrible was about to go down, and I actually had to stop before reading the actual event to calm down. It was indeed amazingly well written.

[ASOS]

By the way, given how non-book readers (like many book readers) came around to liking Jaime after hating him at first, wouldn't they just hate him again when Bolton steps up and says he sends his regards before doing his thing?

ASOS
With the books having been out so long and just how "big" the RW wedding is, I honestly thought it would be impossible for it not to get spoiled for anyone who regularly used the internet. You'd have to be hella disciplined when it comes to reading about GoT to avoid it, and even then, that won't stop some random asshole from spoiling it in a completely unrelated site/topic.

Yeah. [ASoS Major spoilers]
I remember just sort of absentmindedly searching around the Song of Ice and Fire wiki before the show was on and before I had read any of the books to just see what the books were about. And of course I ended up spoiling myself on Ned dying and the events of the RW.

But the thing is that when I went and read the books, those events were still shocking considering I only knew that certain characters died and the very rough circumstances surrounding their deaths.

If the show plays it's cards right, even if you know that Robb dies at the RW, it should still be shocking with the scope of it and how everyone dies in such brutal fashion. Its not like Robb is stealthily poisoned or quickly stabbed in the back- its a bloodbath with tons of collateral damage. That's what shocked me about it when I read that chapter in the book, even knowing that Robb and Cat were going to likely die.

traveler

Not Wario
SOS
That chapter had a distinct sense of unease about it from the get go, so I wasn't entirely taken aback when the moment came. I remember feeling more furious at the Freys and Bolton than anything else. Never really cared for Robb as a character since we never really got to know him; like I said before, the pain of the wedding in the book was more the realization that the Stark war effort is now completely dead than it is the tragedy of specific character deaths. I'm curious as to how much of that unease they'll have in the show, as I feel like it does tip their hand pretty substantially and viewers might figure out what's happening before it happens. Will they keep the atmosphere or try and make the betrayal as shocking as possible?

[ASOS]

By the way, given how non-book readers (like many book readers) came around to liking Jaime after hating him at first, wouldn't they just hate him again when Bolton steps up and says he sends his regards before doing his thing?

It's pretty clear Jaime had no understanding of what was about to happen in the show. I can't see the viewers associating the two.

Lest we forget, Robb was Frey's liege lord, as in he should not have had to negotiate with him in the first place and denying him access to the bridge, regardless of concessions or no concessions, would be tantamount to treachery. Frey was a scumbag from the beginning and he had no right to demand anything of Robb nor does he have a leg to stand on in terms of Robb betraying him first.

This is an excellent point I never thought of it that way. I figured it was just
Robb making a huge mistake

Sotha Sil

ASOS major
For me, it was the building sense of total dread when Cat started making a big deal about guest rights. I knew something horrible was about to go down, and I actually had to stop before reading the actual event to calm down. It was indeed amazingly well written.

ASOS
It's been ages since I've read ASOS and I have forgotten many things, but that's indeed what sticks with me too, the minute I understood what would happen. The bread and salt.

[ASOS]

ASOS
I think it's pretty clear to them that Jamie had nothing to do with it, even if Bolton says that. dude's turned a new leaf. They will probably hate Bolton even more for twisting the knife, so to speak, though.

[ASOS]

ASOS

In the show, he says to Roose "Tell Robb Stark the Lannisters send their regards." or something along those lines.

ASOS
Straight up lied in the other thread about missing the original post with the spoiler. Hopefully that keeps a few mods from being completely spoiled :/ Cyan in particular.

[ASOS] Unfortunately
it looks like he's aware of what the spoiler is since he said that "if true, your ban is going to be very much extended" or whatnot. Which will mean perma, I'd wager. Hopefully he's only aware in the sense that a book-reader mod told him the punishment will get more severe, but I doubt it.

It's pretty clear Jaime had no understanding of what was about to happen in the show. I can't see the viewers associating the two.

ASOS
I think it's pretty clear to them that Jamie had nothing to do with it, even if Bolton says that. dude's turned a new leaf. They will probably hate Bolton even more for twisting the knife, so to speak, though.

ASOS

In the show, he says to Roose "Tell Robb Stark the Lannisters send their regards." or something along those lines.

I've only watched it once but I was pretty sure he said, "give Robb Stark my regards"

From that comment (be relayed again by Bolton before the crucial stab) and without any POV, it would seem like Jaime Lannister was the mastermind/planned the thing or was very involved. Evidently, the secret meetings he had with Bolton came to some understanding.

At least, that's the way I would see it if I was a non-book reader.

ASOS

Series
Oh, he'll be quite upset with Bolton when that line may cost him his life at the hand of Stoneheart.

[SoS]
About that gu who bombed the other thread, at least he didn't give any details away. Remember, many of them believe the wedding is just some minor event and then Robb is heading off to take Casterly Rock in a huge battle. Yes they are spoiled, but it's note worse case scenario.

As for the Jon parentage speculation in the other thread, [series]
I think it's pretty minor and somewhat innocent. After all, R+L=J is speculation for book readers too, although strongly backed. I agree he should not be able to make that connection from the show, but it is not harmful.

[ASOS] Unfortunately
it looks like he's aware of what the spoiler is since he said that "if true, your ban is going to be very much extended" or whatnot. Which will mean perma, I'd wager. Hopefully he's only aware in the sense that a book-reader mod told him the punishment will get more severe, but I doubt it.

ASOS
Well, I am just hoping that me pming him about a spoiler doesn't confirm that it's a spoiler, ya know? I know he'll find out next week, but me 'not having seen the original post' maybe keeps it from being confirmed for him. Or something.

ASOS
went back and re read the RW passage... Just had to experience it one more time. I'll never forget the feels that I felt after reading it. Anger, confusion, astonishment, etc all rolled into one. Talk about goosebumps. The drumbeat was basically my heartbeat, lol.
Can't wait!

Know what gets me every time? ASOS
"No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair."

Fuck. Makes my eyes water just pulling up the quote. I really hope they do Cat's breakdown justice in the show and don't focus more on Robb's death. If it's somewhat different from the book I think I can take it, only because they've been planning how to do it forever.

-griffy-

Banned
[SoS]
About that gu who bombed the other thread, at least he didn't give any details away. Remember, many of them believe the wedding is just some minor event and then Robb is heading off to take Casterly Rock in a huge battle. Yes they are spoiled, but it's note worse case scenario.

I think it's pretty minor and somewhat innocent. After all, R+L=J is speculation for book readers too, although strongly backed. I agree he should not be able to make that connection from the show, but it is not harmful.

There was a lot of talk in the non-book thread several pages back, after the episode where Jaime gives his monologue about the Mad King, all about that and the rebellion and what caused it. If I remember Rhaegar and Lyanna were discussed then. All stuff pulled from the Blu-ray special features, and season 1 Robert/Ned scenes, not the books, I believe. So linking Lyanna to Rhaegar and Jon isn't so far fetched since some of it was already discussed in that thread. It seems they pretty much used the same deduction that book readers themselves did to come up with the theory.

Trasher

[SoS]

Been gone all weekend so I'm not caught up. Someone spoiled the other thread big?

Fuck. Makes my eyes water just pulling up the quote. I really hope they do Cat's breakdown justice in the show and don't focus more on Robb's death. If it's somewhat different from the book I think I can take it, only because they've been planning how to do it forever.

So powerful, so much emotion.

edit: someone spoiled it, big time.

Yes, [ASoS]
seeing the whole RW from Cat's POV in the books makes the whole thing so gut wrenching. You have her general unease when Dacey gets turned away from the one Frey and then you can just feel Cat's dread when she feels the chainmail underneath the one Frey's clothing. And from there its basically just seeing her whole life and family destroyed in front of her. Her begging Frey to let Robb go and her pleading with Robb to get up...

UGH. That chapter, man.

LordCanti

Not all of them, but enough to cover this season and next. Except that stuff they're plucking from other books.

ASOS (next two episodes of the series specifically)
they spoiled the RW. I guess we're trying not to talk about them having spoiled it in there in case anyone from there accidentally clicks this thread or something.

My favorite part upon a reread ASOS
is by FAR Frey's line about "We'll have music, such sweet music, and wine, HEH, the red will run, and we'll put some wrongs aright."

Chilling on the reread. Chilling.

Yes, [ASoS]
seeing the whole RW from Cat's POV in the books makes the whole thing so gut wrenching. You have her general unease when Dacey gets turned away from the one Frey and then you can just feel Cat's dread when she feels the chainmail underneath the one Frey's clothing. And from there its basically just seeing her whole life and family destroyed in front of her. Her begging Frey to let Robb go and her pleading with Robb to get up...

UGH. That chapter, man.

I'm basically going to shit my pants as soon as "The Rains of Castamere" starts playing and Cat realizes what's up. Having Cersei play that song up the episode before the RW was a masterstroke. It is going to be so good.

HAHAHAHAHA

If you think this story has a happy ending then you haven't been paying attention.

Don't destroy my dreams! :mad:

Series
I've never understood the popularity of this ending idea. All of this chaos somehow ends up with something that neat and clean? And beyond that, I don't see anything to suggest and Jon and Dany would even like each other. Brooding and dutiful isn't exactly Dany's type.

series
Well, first there's the title of the series, you'd think that it would have a more literal meaning once the whole story is finished. And why would Martin give Dany her own prominent story arc, disconnected from almost everyone else and have her go through all this shit if she doesn't play a vital part in the end? Jon is Martin's favourite, so it would only make sense to have the two together eventually. And well, Ice and Fire, direwolfs and dragons, it just fits I guess lol.

I also think that the House of the Undying (worst adapted scene in the entire show IMO) on GOT might turn out to be a prophecy on its own. The show runners know how the series ends, just because they cut out all the prophecies from the book, doesn't mean that there weren't any there. And in that scene we see Dany at the Red Keep, the roof destroyed by fire and snow on the throne, then she goes behind the wall and finds love there... But that's probably just wishful thinking on my end, I'm a Dany fan ;-)

Still, I just think there needs to be something to feel good about in the end. It wouldn't a very satisfying ending to a series that people will have been reading for 20 years by the time it finishes, if it's completely negative.

For non-book readers curious about the spoiler posted in the other thread:
It was just about Tyrion really secretly being Dany's brother. No worries.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ASOS

ASOS
I think he said, "Send Robb Stark my regards." I believe he said that in Episode Seven in the show as well, although it was such a throwaway line I don't know that non-book readers would pick up on that unless they showed it again in the "previously on" segment.

Kweh

AFFC
I am surprised at the amount of hate this gets. I've just started reading it and am 25% in and have enjoyed the opening chapters. Does it tail off or something? It's anything but boring so far.

ultron87

AFFC
I am surprised at the amount of hate this gets. I've just started reading it and am 25% in and have enjoyed the opening chapters. Does it tail off or something? It's anything but boring so far.

[Early AFFC]
It just never reaches the ridiculous amazing highs of Post-RW Storms of Swords and thus gets a bad rap..

Massa

ASOS
I think he said, "Send Robb Stark my regards." I believe he said that in Episode Seven in the show as well, although it was such a throwaway line I don't know that non-book readers would pick up on that unless they showed it again in the "previously on" segment.

Here's how it goes:

ASOS
BOLTON: You will give my regards to Lord Tywin, I trust?

JAIME: Tell Robb Stark I'm sorry I couldn't make his uncle's wedding. The Lannisters send their regards.

And they do not show it in the recap.

AFFC

Barely got half way through. I'll finish it someday.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Here's how it goes:

ASOS

JAIME: Tell Robb Stark I'm sorry I couldn't make his uncle's wedding. The Lannisters send their regards.

ASOS (not really but still)
The recap in Episode 9? Have you seen it already?

Sane_Man

I'm not a violent man, but I'd absolutely love to slap that fucking spoiling douche in the other thread. Honestly, why are people such horrible bastards?

Tacitus_

AFFC

AFFC
Not really. Briennes chapters are boring as fuck, but otherwise it's just coming down from the heights of ASOS and not having the "favorite" POVs. Though personally I absolutely loved the Jaime and Cersei POVs

Here's how it goes:

ASOS

Yeah I knew it was something like that.

I'm being very careful not to read any of the other posts in this thread, but I have a question for you guys...

(obviously I'll read any posts that are directly in response to this)

So far after watching each season I have read the corresponding books.

But I understand that Season 3 only covers the first half of the 3rd book.

I read all my books on my Kindle. Roughly what % of the 3rd book has the 3rd season covered so far?

Is there a "safe point" for which I won't be spoiled on any of the major events of Season 4? Or is everything all out of order and it's impossible to read any of the 3rd book without spoiling Season 4?

I'm being very careful not to read any of the other posts in this thread, but I have a question for you guys...

(obviously I'll read any posts that are directly in response to this)

So far after watching each season I have read the corresponding books.

But I understand that Season 3 only covers the first half of the 3rd book.

I read all my books on my Kindle. Roughly what % of the 3rd book has the 3rd season covered so far?

Is there a "safe point" for which I won't be spoiled on any of the major events of Season 4? Or is everything all out of order and it's impossible to read any of the 3rd book without spoiling Season 4?

At this point, I believe you should likely wait until season four is over to read any of book three. There won't likely be a good 'stopping point' that we can recommend.

Massa

At this point, I believe you should likely wait until season four is over to read any of book three. There won't likely be a good 'stopping point' that we can recommend.

Yeah, the show is pulling from all over already. Either read them all or wait... but really, read them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom