• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubq

AFFC / ADWD

Lena Headey really needs to up her acting game once the TV series gets into these books. Cersei is at the heart of AFFC and if all Headey can do is her eyebrow trick then that's not gonna work.
Are you not familiar with her work? She can cut it.

Massa

The other scenes (bran/hodor/etc, jon/wildlings/etc) were okay, but nothing spectacular. The Yunkai scenes were also iffy (it was like a video game with enemies that just kind of kept spawning) but I did enjoy it when they came back and Dany was all "Where's Daario?". Dat Jorah simpin.

The show runners played Dragon Age 2.

Magnus

Haha what dude? Fucking seriously dude? It's just people vicariously living through the reactions of others, because that 'first time experience' is gone for us. People do it all the time, and it has nothing to do with thinking you're better. Stop fucking being silly.

Are you trying to imply that I'm the jerk for calling people out for doing that? That's a laugh.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a figurative pat-pat and there-there, to commiserate and vicariously re-experience the ride. And some people were doing that. I was doing that with my non-book reader friends tonight.

I was referring to the "I DRINK YOUR SALTY TEARS" type of posts, where it's all about feeling superior, gloating over those just learning what you've always known. (and I don't mean you; by 'you' I mean whoever is doing that).

I don't think anyone thinks that's cool.

I think some people were even banned for it tonight? By all the rules of our threads, that shit is indefensible.

jett

D-Member
tw508Z8.jpg

1370229606356g4kx0.gif

THEY STABBED HER IN THE UTERUS

:lol

Rewatching them now. Her threat to The Hound made me smile. You could tell The Hound realized she meant it.

Oh man that was the best part. I really like how Sandor is in the show, there's been some really subtle changes that makes it more interesting to watch him interact with Arya and Sansa.

Hahaha, everyone I know is losing their shit over this episode...

and all I can think was...Oona! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not so much that she died, just cause she's pretty and won't be on the show anymore. That's the real tragedy.

Ygritte's gonna be gone soon too...

Amir0x

Banned
Are you trying to imply that I'm the jerk for calling people out for doing that? That's a laugh.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a metaphorical pat-pat and there-there, to commiserate and vicariously re-experience the ride. And some people were doing that. I was doing that with my non-book reader friends tonight.

I was referring to the "I DRINK YOUR SALTY TEARS" type of posts, where it's all about feeling superior, gloating over those just learning what you've always known. (and I don't mean you; by 'you' I mean whoever is doing that).

I don't think anyone thinks that's cool.

I think some people were even banned for it tonight? By all the rules of our threads, that shit is indefensible.

Some people are behaving like dicks there, honestly I don't really understand the point of you even participating in that thread, but whatever. I'm fine with just reading their reactions.

ya'll are some overly sensitive people, holy shit. The point is simply that since the book reader no longer can get the feeling of experiencing something for the 'first time', they vicariously live through the reaction of others. When I read that red wedding, it wasn't day and date when it happened, the people who recommended me the book were all grinning from ear to ear when I did it and were all 'drinking my salty tears.' And I smiled and laughed and didn't give a fuck, because seriously who gets up in arms over someone laughing that someone else was shocked the same as they were? That's all it's about: "Now you guys get to feel what I felt." It's more about relating to your fellow man than trying to lord it over.

The one who was banned was banned for spamming an image over and over, and I agree that's dumb, but you guys are really just too sensitive. I can't relate, but it's not my place.

Even though I knew it was coming...seeing it on screen has a totally different effect (probably because I never read the actual books). I can see how some of the non-book readers are angry at this.

I imagine a lot of book readers were shocked/angry too when it happened in the books.

Now if GRRM would fucking work properly on the next book and release it.

SerRodrik

I just listened to the Rains of Castamere because I thought it would be good for a laugh right now. Shockingly enough, it had the opposite effect.

GhaleonEB

Robb purposely leaves her at Riverrun so as not to keep "all my gold in one purse." There's a certain theory about her from the fourth book, but I'm not sure if you've read it. Suffice to say the show pretty much confirmed that theory isn't true or doesn't matter

Thanks.

I'm planning to start A Feast for Crows in a few weeks.

Weird thing with the books. I can't say I really enjoy the process of reading them. So much bloat and wandering. But goddamn am I hooked on the story, to the point where the books become better retroactively. Appreciate the thoughtful reply.

LordCanti

I would be willing to bet it opens the next episode.

I want a rainy, overcast day, with
RobbWind or Grobb, or whatever we'll call it sitting there. Slightly out of focus is Cat's body being dumped into the river. Then we cut to Arya who's waking up from the clubbing

ezekial45

Banned
It's interesting reading the page on the Red Wedding
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Red_Wedding

apparently, GRRM was inspired by this very real event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Douglas#Murder_of_the_Douglas_chiefs_at_Stirling_Castle
The Douglases became so powerful that by the early fifteenth century they were seen as a threat to the stability of the nation. In 1440 the young William Douglas, 6th Earl of Douglas and his brother were invited to dine with the ten year-old King James II of Scotland. The dinner was organised by Sir William Crichton of Clan Crichton. Known as the Black Dinner, a black bull's head, the symbol of death, was brought in. After the dinner the Douglas chiefs were dragged out to Castle Hill, given a mock trial and beheaded. The Clan Douglas then laid siege to Edinburgh Castle. Perceiving the danger, Crichton surrendered the castle to the king who was then given the title of Lord Crichton. It is still unclear exactly who else was ultimately responsible, though it is thought Livingstone and Buchan were also likely candidates.

For those of us who mourn the Red Wedding, let's drink a toast to
Wyman Manderly

“Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me.” The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. “My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”

Amir0x

Banned
It's interesting reading the page on the Red Wedding
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Red_Wedding

apparently, GRRM was inspired by this very real event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Douglas#Murder_of_the_Douglas_chiefs_at_Stirling_Castle

there's also one other event that was also inspiration, partly...

the beheading of the Duke of York and the placing of the paper crown upon his head with the sign "Let York overlook the town of York"
->
Robb's head being decapitated and Grey Wolf's head being sewn onto the body

jett

D-Member
I wonder, why do we even bother tagging spoilers here? The non-book readers are on the other thread. This thread should have a new rule: if you haven't read ADWD, then GTFO.

LordCanti

I forget, is the TV series still hiding the relationship between Roose and
Ramsey (Theon's torturer)

Yes

I wonder, why do we even bother tagging spoilers here? The non-book readers are on the other thread. This thread should have a new rule: if you haven't read ADWD, then GTFO.

There's plenty of people here that are past ASOS but that aren't yet to ADWD.

Moaradin

This isn't a book only thread. You realize there is a thread dedicated to books only, right? Go there.

jett

D-Member
This isn't a book only thread. You realize there is a thread dedicated to books only, right? Go there.

I still don't get why would someone that hasn't read the books even bother to come in here. I guess some folk just live dangerously.

I guess it doesn't matter anymore. The big spoiler moment of the books is over.

Amir0x

Banned
I still don't get why would someone that hasn't read the books even bother to come in here. I guess some folk just live dangerously.

some book readers have accidentally wandered in here. these spoiler tags are a good first defense while they turn tail and run heheh

LordCanti

I actually prefered Cat killing Frey's wife over Jinglebell. It had more impact.

I'm of two minds on that. One the one hand, her picking jinglebell really drove home how nutters she'd gone out of grief in that moment, and the absurdity of thinking Walder Frey gave two shits about Jinglebell was something to behold. On the other hand, yeah, her killing his wife has a lot more impact.

dubq

I want a rainy, overcast day, with
RobbWind or Grobb, or whatever we'll call it sitting there. Slightly out of focus is Cat's body being dumped into the river. Then we cut to Arya who's waking up from the clubbing
Not if the preview is any indication...

Not sure if should be spoiled but whatever, just talking about that line change during the wedding.
I liked the sends his regards line change. Reduces confusion on the show. Especially considering they've put such emphasis on Jaimie's face turn. Why muddy that water.

LordCanti

Not if the preview is any indication...

I never watch those. I suppose it starts with (Next episode)
Robb's bannermen being slaughtered outside, then? I want that scene after a cutaway if that's the case. Maybe the fight outside - > Jon alerting the watch -> then Grobb/RobbWind/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom