• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
How old is Robb in the show? Someone in the no book thread said he wasn't 15.

Well, the actor looks his age(26), but I think he's 19-20 in the show.

Also, another reason why the book events are much more fucked up. Imagine this happening to a 15 year-old kid. :p

GhaleonEB

Question. I've read A Storm of Swords, and am working through season 2 of the show now (I don't have HBO). So I haven't seen this episode but obviously knew it was coming. I just read someone mention in the other thread that
Robb's wife was killed in the Red Wedding as well. In the book, I thought she was left behind and thus was safe. Am I remembering wrong? Did they really axe her as well in the show?

And does that affect the arcs in the books at all?
Doubtful,
that would be ridiculously controversial

I don't think it was even "shown" in the book, just reported second hand. It would be better for the show to go that route, after putting viewers through this.

Helmholtz

That episode was pretty great. Been waiting to see the Red Wedding for some time now. Didn't impact me nearly as much as when I read it for the first time. But it was still pretty crazy and super brutal. Pretty much how I envisioned it.

Fey

Banned
Next episode ASOS
ends with optimism? Sounds like it'll end with a Dany scene. Cat resurrected isn't really optimistic, more "... uhh?" Really hoping unCat isn't around until season 4.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Possibly my favorite reaction from tonight was Sepinwall's. All evening he was saying, "GOT review will probably be pushed to tomorrow for Mad Men review tonight." And I was thinking, my ass. Then right after the episode:

Yeah, Mad Men review may get postponed til morning for Game of Thrones. But check back with me in a few hours.

UraMallas

Doubtful,
Pretty sure they are.

I typically catch the second airing of the show but I almost don't want to tonight. Man, I read the Red Wedding years ago and it still gets me on the show. Fuck the Red Wedding.

giga

Question. I've read A Storm of Swords, and am working through season 2 of the show now (I don't have HBO). So I haven't seen this episode but obviously knew it was coming. I just read someone mention in the other thread that
Robb's wife was killed in the Red Wedding as well. In the book, I thought she was left behind and thus was safe. Am I remembering wrong? Did they really axe her as well in the show?

Jeyne survived in the book. The show just made a weird arc without the Westerlings, so I'm glad she was offed.

dubq

the arya fakeout was absolutely necessary imo considering they alternate chapters between catelyn and arya for like 6-7 chapters straight iirc in asos. i remember it adding so much the emotion of reading it, so hopeful for a the long awaited reunion only to me devastated. GRRM masterfully played hard on your heartstrings in the part of the book.
Actually it was only 4 consecutive chapters for Arya/Catelyn.

jett

D-Member

Well since she's dead, I'm gonna guess that she turned out to be fairly worthless in book canon.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, and the fact that they used Frey's wife (ASOS)
instead of Jinglebell was brilliant, even Walder's new line.

I still have a hard time taking schadenfreude from the show thread. I imagine they need to breathe right now.

MG310

Rewatching now..some little things to notice...The camera cuts over to the guy who eventually stabs Talisa when she steps forward.

Also Roose leering at Robb at the start of the ceremony.

LordCanti

Jeyne survived in the book. The show just made a weird arc without the Westerlings, so I'm glad she was offed.

I think it's fair to say that she'll never (series)
feature prominently in the story ever again. At the very least, this should end the "she may have been pregnant!" rumors.

I don't even like thinking about this. I'd honestly hope not.

You know they're gonna. You know it.

jett

D-Member
I think they aged most of the characters by 2 years. So he's supposed to be about 16 when the show starts, and about 18 when he got GOT.
It seems more than two years to me, especially Dany, Robb, Jon and Theon. And most of the grown ups have got like a decade over the book characters.

edit: Jon starts out at 17 in the show compared to the book's 14. Big difference at that age.

Rewatching now..some little things to notice...The camera cuts over to the guy who eventually stabs Talisa when she steps forward.

Also Roose leering at Robb at the start of the ceremony.

Dude. Bolton leering at everyone, the man is ice. The look he gives Catelyn when she sees his chainmail froze the blood in my veins.

GhaleonEB

Well since she's dead, I'm gonna guess that she turned out to be fairly worthless in book canon.

I would assume so as well, but I've heard the show has altered quite of bit of the story arcs. I've not yet a Feast for Crows, and am at episode 4 on season 2 of the show. Which is why I asked, Jett. :p

I don't think it was even "shown" in the book, just reported second hand. It would be better for the show to go that route, after putting viewers through this.

Robb purposely leaves her at Riverrun so as not to keep "all my gold in one purse." There's a certain theory about her from the fourth book, but I'm not sure if you've read it. Suffice to say the show pretty much confirmed that theory isn't true or doesn't matter

RyanDG

Next episode ASOS
ends with optimism? Sounds like it'll end with a Dany scene. Cat resurrected isn't really optimistic, more "... uhh?" Really hoping unCat isn't around until season 4.

ASOS
To be honest, part of me hopes they don't show Cat's resurrection at all until the end of Season 4. Have Arya's warging scene where she finds the body, and leave it at that. Following that, have a bunch of rumors of Frey's going missing. Have scenes where people run into her 'Band'. But never show the force behind it until the very end.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't even like thinking about this. I'd honestly hope not.

I hope they do show it. I want the brutal realism illustrated for all the world to see.

People read the history of the War of the Roses when the Duke of York was beheaded and had a Paper Crown placed upon his head... and then when that decapitated head was put over the York City Walls with a sign that said "Let York overlook the town of York."

This is the way shit is. I know some people think it's sadistic, but I just think it's accurate. Hold back no punches, tv show!

Fey

Banned
ASOS
To be honest, part of me hopes they don't show Cat's resurrection at all until the end of Season 4. Have Arya's warging scene where she finds the body, and leave it at that. Following that, have a bunch of rumors of Frey's going missing. Have scenes where people run into her 'Band'. But never show the force behind it until the very end.

Yup, this is what I want, too.

friday

You mean Robb. :)

I know, I feel like I'm one of the few who didn't lose their shit after reading the Red Wedding. I felt bad (more about Cat, since it was from her POV), but not "fuck this shit I gotta go take a breather" bad. lol

Yeah, real quick edit.

I did listen to some black metal after reading that chapter.

Magnus

Man, that was brutal to watch. Can't believe this has finally aired. Feel like exhaling. But man, my friends were totally distressed. They looked like I did after I read that chapter. Fuck.

Walder Frey was perfect.

"...Waldina?"  "I'm Mary."  "Fine"  [/best]

I'm disappointed that ASOS
we didn't see Cat go mad and claw/rake at her face. It was such a memorable, brutal detail.

I'm also very disappointed in the gloating of book readers in the non-book reader threads. What, you're better because you got to the story first? Jesus.

cj_iwakura

Jeyne surviving in the book had some great scenes later on, namely AFFC?
the fact that she kept Robb's crown.
I remember something like that anyway.

Bolton's actor is so perfect. I got chills when he described his Frey wife.

Doubtful,

And stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach multiple times isn't?

No, I don't understand why people expect it. It was only mentioned in passing in the book, it was never actually seen by anyone.

I want to say that there was some rumor or talk from the set of [ASoS]
some Grey Wind- Robb prosthetic/ visual effects thing. No idea if that's true but I remember reading that some where.

I wouldn't put it past the show, even if it wasn't "shown" in the books. Its a very strong mental image in the books and would certainly be a strong image in the show. And it shows just how despicable the Freys/Boltons are. As if we needed more reason.

Massa

Red Wedding aside, the scene with Arya and Sandor early on, when they were battling each other with words, was fucking amazing.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm also very disappointed in the gloating of book readers in the non-book reader threads. What, you're better because you got to the story first? Jesus.

Haha what dude? Fucking seriously dude? It's just people vicariously living through the reactions of others, because that 'first time experience' is gone for us. People do it all the time, and it has nothing to do with thinking you're better. Stop fucking being silly.

FStop7

Banned
AFFC / ADWD

Lena Headey really needs to up her acting game once the TV series gets into these books. Cersei is at the heart of AFFC and if all Headey can do is her eyebrow trick then that's not gonna work.

the arya fakeout was absolutely necessary imo considering they alternate chapters between catelyn and arya for like 6-7 chapters straight iirc in asos. i remember it adding so much the emotion of reading it, so hopeful for a the long awaited reunion only to me devastated. GRRM masterfully played hard on your heartstrings in the part of the book.

Oh I meant in the context of the show. In the book it worked because of the restricted perspective.

LordCanti

Now that I've had time to drown in the salt lake at the conclusion of a thousand salty streams, I can talk about the actual episode:

Arya was magnificent, as was the hound. Their interaction was fantastic, and even though he's enormous, she delivered the line about stabbing him through the eye with the perfect amount of menace. I think the show tipped it's hand a little bit early by not doing the entire RW in one take without cutting away, but I understand the change. Everything leading up to the wedding and after, including the bedding, was just about exactly how I imagined it. I'm glad they glazed over Greywind trying to warn Robb, because it would have been too big of a tipoff and it would have ruined the shock of it. I'm a bit sad that the Greatjon wasn't around, but it's no big deal.

The other scenes (bran/hodor/etc, jon/wildlings/etc) were okay, but nothing spectacular. The Yunkai scenes were also iffy (it was like a video game with enemies that just kind of kept spawning) but I did enjoy it when they came back and Dany was all "Where's Daario?". Dat Jorah simpin.

Loved it.

rando14

AFFC / ADWD

Lena Headey really needs to up her acting game once the TV series gets into these books. Cersei is at the heart of AFFC and if all Headey can do is her eyebrow trick then that's not gonna work.

Up through ADWD
Speaking of which, when are we going to see the Kettleblacks again? I can't remember when they were introduced

jett

D-Member
series
Headey sucks and will continue to suck for the remainder of the show. There's just no hope.

Haha what dude? Fucking seriously dude? It's just people vicariously living through the reactions of others, because that 'first time experience' is gone for us. People do it all the time, and it has nothing to do with thinking you're better. Stop fucking being silly.

Some people are behaving like dicks there, honestly I don't really understand the point of you even participating in that thread, but whatever. I'm fine with just reading their reactions.

Dawg

tw508Z8.jpg

1370229606356g4kx0.gif

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Now that I've settled down a bit though, I thought the episode overall was fantastic. Arya/Sandor stuff was awesome. Thought the Bran/Reeds stuff was the best it's been so far. The Yunkai fight choreography was by far the best the show has seen so far. And the main event IMO couldn't have been much better than it was.

Really didn't think there was anything weak in the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom