• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pressure on Sansa is going to be even greater. She now has a legitimate claim to the entire North.

Wield that power now please. Wield it!

Edit: Whoops, meant to post in the other thread.

RyanDG

The twitter comments are hilarious. Not sure why the first reaction always seems to be "I'm done with this show." If it's affecting you so much then it's doing its job.

To be fair. I don't blame some of them. People have different attitudes of entertainment and escapism. And the sort of world that Martin is setting up isn't necessarily for everyone.

The show has made no mention of their Father (Unless they briefly tossed out his name when they were first introduced, I can't remember). There's only one other reason he's mentioned in the books, and that's something the show runners seem to not want to imply or foreshadow.

I thought Jojen maybe name dropped Howland Reed in one of the earlier episodes. Wasn't anything major but I think they have mentioned him.

jorgeton

Man, it really is oddly entertaining reading/watching non-spoilered people's reactions to the RW. America dun got sucker punched tonight.

Massa

The Starks

House_Stark_and_retainers.jpg

RyanDG

Yeah but...you'd think they figured that out when Ned lost his head and The Lannisters held off Stannis.

You would think so, but then again, the archetype of the avenging son is pretty popular in pop culture and fantasy in general. The death of a father to drive a son to noble action is easily accepted because of how widely its used. The Red Wedding is where Martin really turns the archetype on its head (even just momentarily).

Kettch

It's been a long time since I've read the book, but I seem to remember a table being overturned and an attempted defense happening. Was a little disappointed that everyone just died, would've been a bit more epic with a fight thrown in (at least Cat got her kill). Otherwise spectacular job though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Did I miss what happened to him? I didn't see him after he went out to piss. They didn't show him getting axed as well, did they?

Nah they brought him all the way up to the Twins, and during the wedding, but had him take a piss before shit went down just to screw with book readers.

Loofy

One piece of imagery they didnt show but was in the books.
The freys setting the soldiers giant feast tents on fire with stark men still in them

Nah they brought him all the way up to the Twins, and during the wedding, but had him take a piss before shit went down just to screw with book readers.

That's what I thought happened. I was worried he was one of the people who got killed outside, since that scene happened so quickly and with the camera from Arya's perspective so it was hard to make out details.

jett

D-Member
He's disappointed that Jon made his choice and that the choice wasn't what he liked...

After watching the video I immediately regret posting it. What a dumbass. He's also pissed off that there wasn't a Lannister in the weeding(WTF), and that made it lame. :lol He's probably trying to downplay it because he got spoiled.

Kuroyume

Banned
jeeeeez that was somehow gorier and more awful than i expected

i mean, holy fuck. that was brutal.

The stabbing of the pregnant belly was fantastic. Great job by the director of the episode and writers.

Btw, what's GAF's take on Talisa being killed? I'm sure it was discussed earlier but I missed it. I thought the whole point of her character being created was to give Rob's wife more of an importance to the story. I thought she was in on the betrayal. Writings letters to Tywinn and and all.

Burt

Something that occurred to me tonight that hadn't before is that Winterfell isn't just burned to the ground, but nearly all of it's residents have to be dead. Between Theon being a cunt and tonight with it's leadership and army getting slaughtered, there can't even be that many natives left that would have cause to rebuild it. A city simply being razed isn't even comparable, it's like a Winterfell genocide occurred.

cj_iwakura

The stabbing of the pregnant belly was fantastic. Great job by the director of the episode and writers.

Btw, what's GAF's take on Talisa being killed? I'm sure it was discussed earlier but I missed it. I thought the whole point of her character being created was to give Rob's wife more of an importance to the story. I thought she was in on the betrayal. Writings letters to Tywinn and and all.

Pretty sure it's a given.

Makes what happened to her in the show all the more screwed up.

AFFC
She probably wasn't even really pregnant.

Kettch

Oh, and one touch I particularly liked was Roose once again declining any alcohol.

"You know how suspicious that makes you look?" - Jaime

LordCanti

The thing that really makes me all schadenfreude-tastic is (series)
the book readers thinking Khaleesi is going to ride in with dragons and save everyone. They're in for yeaaarsss of disappointment.

Something that occurred to me tonight that hadn't before is that Winterfell isn't just burned to the ground, but nearly all of it's residents have to be dead. Between Theon being a cunt and tonight with it's leadership and army getting slaughtered, there can't even be that many natives left that would have cause to rebuild it. A city simply being razed isn't even comparable, it's like a Winterfell genocide occurred.

That's what makes this scene so powerful. Even if Bran, Rickon, Arya or Sansa were to mount a successful rebellion, what would be the point? The Stark land and its people are utterly shattered. A castle is just a castle without people to live in it.

RyanDG

Spoilers for AFFC and ADWD
This is part of the reason why when Martin introduces Manderly's motives, and "The North Remembers" again, it delivers an emotional crescendo that was needed as a reprieve for fans of the North. Winterfell may be a ruin of its former self, but it is clear that the North is more than just Winterfell.

Burt

Oh, and one touch I particularly liked was Roose once again declining any alcohol.

"You know how suspicious that makes you look?" - Jaime

Reminds me of how both Jaimie and Tywin had a scene talking about Jaimie's dyslexia, episodes (seasons?) apart. It's always nice seeing continuity, references, and foreshadowing that reward rewatches and attentiveness.

GhaleonEB

The twitter comments are hilarious. Not sure why the first reaction always seems to be "I'm done with this show." If it's affecting you so much then it's doing its job.

To be fair, my reaction with the book was to toss it aside in disgust. I think this is the show equivalent of that.

They'll be back. The same comments flooded the internet after Ned's demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom