• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
It does. And yes, he shouldn't have done that
ok fixed that up

some of you people are really annoying, i can understand enjoying some nice schadenfreude, but going over there and gloating is stupid and immature. grow the fuck up, there are multiple threads for a reason.

thank you based duckroll

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
So I'm having a blast reading all these Red Wedding Tears, but I saw one RT on the twitter page that got me thinking.

What's the media blowback going to be? Is anyone else worried that Fox and Friends are going to absolutely bring the hammer down on HBO for this? In this episode alone there was infanticide, multiple innocents being murdered, and multiple animals being murdered.

Ordinarily it wouldn't really earn a reaction. I just wonder though if this blowback is going to become so viral that we're going to have to deal with family groups across the Bible belt doing everything they can to ruin Game of Thrones.

Anyone else concerned with that, or am I just being paranoid?

LordCanti

So I'm having a blast reading all these Red Wedding Tears, but I saw one RT on the twitter page that got me thinking.

What's the media blowback going to be? Is anyone else worried that Fox and Friends are going to absolutely bring the hammer down on HBO for this? In this episode alone there was infanticide, multiple innocents being murdered, and multiple animals being murdered.

Ordinarily it wouldn't really earn a reaction. I just wonder though if this blowback is going to become so viral that we're going to have to deal with family groups across the Bible belt doing everything they can to ruin Game of Thrones.

Anyone else concerned with that, or am I just being paranoid?

No one in the bible belt subscribes to HBO (no one that would be offended anyway, I'd think...or hope). It's a premium service for adults, with adult content. They don't really have a leg to stand on.

Too late for him now.

Yep =/ Too late for anyone that read it as well, unfortunately.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Too late for him now.

ASOS
On the plus side, "purple wedding" is a much vaguer term since its not called that in-universe the way the RW is. I don't think most people even refer to it as that anyways; besides, the event in question is a lot more out of left field and harder to predict.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
ASOS
On the plus side, "purple wedding" is a much vaguer term since its not called that in-universe the way the RW is. I don't think most people even refer to it as that anyways; besides, the event in question is a lot more out of left field and harder to predict.

But it still makes you expect something at the next wedding. That guy is a real shit head for posting that.

Bread

Banned
ASOS
asos
but it's obvious that the wedding is joffrey's, and there is no tie between them and the color purple, so it's definitely a sign that something extraordinary will happen.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But it still makes you expect something at the next wedding. That guy is a real shit head for posting that.

ASOS
Yeah, the worst part is that the person who took notice is the guy that's by far the most pissed off about the RW

Hystzen

What is slightly bad now is people who saw what he wrote then see him banned will think it was because of a true spoiler

It kind of hard to mod these threads

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
about Talisa and the Lannister theory, my own wild theory to add:
Who knows, it's possible that since Talisa had a pregnant belly, there's a chance that Robb hadn't actually "seen" it, without the clothes covering it up.

Hail Mary to the Endzone Shot: She's wearing a bag/Animal Stomach (it's medieval times!) filled with blood, and her being stabbed in the stomach is her "out." Appears to die, continues on back in Lannisport. All assumed if she was the master spy in Tywin's plot. All 99.9999999999999% bullshit, but hey, fuck it.

jett

D-Member
From the no-books thread:

i8NPs6Btkhljr.gif

lol

Tabris

Man, I really think Game of Thrones is the closest North American comparable to the old Chinese literature Three Kingdoms. For all you book readers, I really recommend giving it a read:

5108NBMBKTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Non-book reader here, i'm curious on how tonights twist was handled in the book...was it this predictable?

Also, If everyone in Westeros knew of this wedding, why would Rob let his guard down like that. You broke the guy's promise before and you know Lanisters will do what they can to get in your allies pockets...

Altazor

Non-book reader here, i'm curious on how tonights twist was handled in the book...was it this predictable?

there's a lot of foreshadowing (some details you might miss on first reading but when you re-read the book they're pretty damn obvious) and that chapter is pretty fucking ominous. One of the best written chapters in the whole saga, I might say.

Cat Party

Not to me. Not at all.

I was fucking pissed all day after reading the chapter. I told everyone I knew who had read farther than me that I was fucking done with the books if SOS didn't redeem itself.

RyanDG

ADWD spoilers (and random speculation)
You know, I've been thinking a lot about Arya lately, and starting to realize something... The Faceless men seem to be promoting her through the ranks rather quickly, despite her still holding onto "Arya". This seems weird, considering their order (and how much they seem to know - especially the Kindly Man's intuition). Could it be that Arya is part of a long con essentially to kill off a specific Lannister? And the Faceless men are using her hatred of the Lannister's to drive her passion to ensure she succeeds at the task? They basically "know" she is still Arya, but are allowing her to "appear" to advance through their ranks to allow her to reach the point of succeeding the task that they have already been paid to do. She is never going to be one of them. She is just another tool to be used by one of the servants of the god.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Also, If everyone in Westeros knew of this wedding, why would Rob let his guard down like that. You broke the guy's promise before and you know Lanisters will do what they can to get in your allies pockets...

Robb wasn't very good at the game of thrones. Neither was Ned.

Bread

Banned

if you paid enough attention, there was.

the band was made up of crossbowmen, so they were playing awful music, which was noted by some of robb or someone with him.

i was not analyzing details of the wedding, as i thought it would just be another event before robb moved on to another battle, much like a lot of the no book spoilers thread.

jett

D-Member

Robb's as much of an idiot in the books as he is in the show. In the books though he has the excuse of only being 15.

Speaking of the actual event, it's foreshadowed, of course, but you don't see the massacre coming at all. In Westeros, ill-treating a guest after offering food to them is an unspeakable sin in the eyes of the seven. If you notice, they were served cheese and bread when they first meet with Walder Frey, and they kind of look at each other thinking "okay, we're good." The book stresses this point in the chapter...I guess that should make it even more obvious. :p But you really don't think that they're gonna kill all of them, considering at this point in time Robb is the hero of the story.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Man, I really think Game of Thrones is the closest North American comparable to the old Chinese literature Three Kingdoms. For all you book readers, I really recommend giving it a read:

5108NBMBKTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I'll only read it if it has as much sex as ASoIaF.

about Talisa and the Lannister theory, my own wild theory to add:
Who knows, it's possible that since Talisa had a pregnant belly, there's a chance that Robb hadn't actually "seen" it, without the clothes covering it up.

Hail Mary to the Endzone Shot: She's wearing a bag/Animal Stomach (it's medieval times!) filled with blood, and her being stabbed in the stomach is her "out." Appears to die, continues on back in Lannisport. All assumed if she was the master spy in Tywin's plot. All 99.9999999999999% bullshit, but hey, fuck it.

I don't think that works, personally.
Considering how pale her face was when Robb was holding her, it's fairly clear she actually was stabbed. You don't get that pale without severe blood loss or makeup.

suzu

There was a feeling that something was going to go down. I don't think most readers expected everything that happened though.

Loofy

They sort of mentioned in the show. But in Westeros theres a HUGE thing called 'Guest right.' If youve already been served food and drink by the host then your pretty much guaranteed to be under his protection.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Robb's as much of an idiot in the books as he is in the show. In the books though he has the excuse of only being 15.

Speaking of the actual event, it's foreshadowed, of course, but you don't see the massacre coming at all. Actually, the book insists on the fact that the Starks are perfectly safe. In Westeros, ill-treating a guest after offering food to them is an unspeakable sin in the eyes of the seven. If you notice, they were served cheese and bread when they first meet with Walder Frey, and they kind of look at each other thinking "okay, we're good."
Bread and salt, not cheese.

anaron

Greywind and Arya + Catelyn got me teary. Michelle was outstanding and just illustrated how much better she and the character deserved.

Damn though, Talisa's was vicious.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
EPISODE 9 SPOILERS
Holy shit. People are going to go bananas. All I care about is that we see Cat's throat get slit front and center of the camera as the last shot.
You must be very happy. ;)

That's brilliant. Well done.

Series:
Then again, they never had the argument between Robb and Cat when Robb said he's making Jon his official heir.
Yeah, I'm curious about that... [series]
no letter to Howland Reed. :(

That was never ever ever actually shown. Ever. Just talked about in rumors. Why would they even bother?
Because it's brutal and twists the knife even more.

Was anyone else a little disappointed that the band didn't suck?
Haha, a bit. But I wonder if it'd either a) foreshadow something's wrong too much, and/or b) just sound goofy on-screen.

Regarding Rickon... ASOS/ADWD
In the books, doesn't he go to Skagos and not to the Karstarks? I wonder what that change means for his fate in the books.
[series]
You mean the Umbers, not the Karstarks. And yeah they go to Skagos, but that doesn't mean Osha took him there directly. We'll see, I guess... Rickon's fate is quite mysterious.

AFFC / ADWD

Lena Headey really needs to up her acting game once the TV series gets into these books. Cersei is at the heart of AFFC and if all Headey can do is her eyebrow trick then that's not gonna work.
Horseshit. Watch Blackwater again. Lena Heady was fantastic. She's totally up for it, I'm 100% confident.

I was referring to the "I DRINK YOUR SALTY TEARS" type of posts, where it's all about feeling superior, gloating over those just learning what you've always known. (and I don't mean you; by 'you' I mean whoever is doing that).
The people saying "I drink your tears" aren't feeling superior. That's completely ridiculous. Projection much?

They're just going "finally, it's your turn to suffer!!" in a playful way. Had I been in their position I'd laugh it off too.

I think some people were even banned for it tonight? By all the rules of our threads, that shit is indefensible.
No, he got banned for spamming an image.

Plasmid

Book thread is more terrified of the stomach stabbing than the slaughter of Robb & Catelyn.

This is why she should have stayed home :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If you manage to lose a war in which you lost zero battles, it's fair to say that you absolutely suck at the game of thrones. Robb sucked, and he paid the iron price for it.

Which is a shame, because I don't think he was ever in it for a Crown, not entirely. It was all a Revenge/Justice World Tour. He just happened to get TicketMastered.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nitpick time:

I wish they had shown Grey Wind a bit more. Seeing him growl at the Twins, Catelyn advising him to take the wolf with him and mentioning how Summer had saved her life from the assassin, etc. And then Robb going "nah, don't wanna scare people and offend them y'know?" like a dumbass.

And I wish Catelyn was being grabbed by multiple men and struggling before finally having her throat cut. I didn't expect the hair cutting line to make it, but seeing her just stand like that was... odd. Pretty heartbreaking to see her standing here so utterly lost and defeated, I admit, but I preferred the version where she'd just fight til the end.

I liked the switch to Walder's wife, though. No "a son for a son" line, but it made Walder seem even more horrible than he is, so... yeah. Ouch.

Poor Catelyn. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom