• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";60903181]It's really crazy how much shit the illiterates are guessing in their belligerence and apoplexy.[/QUOTE]

Years of being spoon fed the same rehash where the "honorable" character always comes out on top has left a lot of people ill prepared for what they're experiencing.

Many of them are making essentially the same contradictory statement in which they claim that the writing is horrible while making it clear at the same time how invested they are in some of these characters.

If they really can't handle a show or book world filled with consequences for its characters, perhaps they should set their sights back on True Blood where all the leads get a free pass regardless of what or how many mistakes they make.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The summer child thread is getting a little crazy about perceived spoilers, regardless if they are actually spoilers or not. One guy asked a question about the books and how a character was different, some dude responded, and like five people got bent out of shape.

It's irrelevant.
Yeah, they're really oversensitive, but I guess I don't blame them after some idiots did post real spoilers. Better to not just say anything.

UraMallas

lol, whatever you say.
ngbbs51255359f0b71.jpg
No fun for you. There are people in the other thread that are calling for an end to the book posters because they are very upset right now. You can't empathize with that? Imagine you've just read the Red Wedding for the first time and then three or four people swung open your door with Dr Seuss books, party hats and Lannister balloons in hand. If you can't understand why that might upset someone I guess we are very different types of people. That's fine. Just realize Bish is in that thread and he is livid. I guess we can at least understand what that means together.

As a book reader, I knew what was coming, but damn that was brutal.

The real standout moment was when Roose gives Catelyn that look. Shivers down to the core, man.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah I've just backed out of that thread. I posted no spoilers myself, but christ. Having those dweebs jump down your throat is annoying and frustrating.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
lots of characters, lore, and events that transpired a bit differently from the show. The major events are still there, but there are a lot of details that never made the transition from the page to the screen.

I'd say start from the beginning, even if S1 was the most faithful one.

Tons of ancillary characters and great writing. You will be a bit lost for a bit, but nothing you wouldn't be able to recover from if you have someone to ask about things. There are people in this thread who I am sure would help.

Character developments,background and other characters who not in show but are great.

I would say read from start but up to you really
Thanks, guys.

See, depending on the story, I'm not really one to get deeply enveloped into the lore and shit. I don't care about minor characters too much, I just like seeing the big plot movements with the characters I have established to know as major players. For example, I went ahead and read The Red Wedding after seeing the episode just to see the comparison on text. Of course, it didn't have nearly the same effect as it would have if I was reading from page 1 of book 1, but just to see how it played out in text. Unfortunate that we couldn't see inside the POV of Catelyn, but yeah, whatevs.

Back to my original question, I only ask because I don't mind missing some of the smaller things if they don't hamper my understanding of the bigger stuff. When I was reading the red wedding there were a bunch of names I didn't know (I'm guessing either changed characters or bannerman unnamed); and I quickly understood that they swapped Walder's grandson for a wife (reason...unknown) but it didn't really bother me.

Edit: Might just read the official wikis for 1, 2, and 3 (up to RW).

I wish Bish could've been there earlier. So frustrating seeing book readers celebrating and shit in that thread, mucking things up, posting sly winks and talking incessantly about how "the book did it this way" and so on.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You will be just fine starting from there. No different really than if you were reading the books as they came out. Nobody remembers all the names years apart.

iammeiam

Them going with Talisa being viciously stabbed in the belly over and over has me
wondering if she might have really been a spy all along after all--normally you wouldn't kill your spy, but the manner she was offed seemed targeted specifically at the baby she was carrying and less about killing her. I admittedly also spent most of the episode watching her face to see if it looked like she knew what was up, and couldn't decide.

God that episode was so good, the outraged reactions at the dim-but-good guys not being protected by plot armor is great, just extremely fulfilling all around.

Ok. Not looking to get very spoiled, but someone......

...please....

pleeaaasssseeee.....

Tell me the Starks end up kicking ass in the end (or as far as we know from the books).

iMFS7U0V8SxwF.gif

Tiktaalik

Great episode. The adaptation from book to screen was handled fantastically.

I'm expecting to see Greywind's head on Robbs body to start off the next ep.

Gvaz

Banned

...please....

pleeaaasssseeee.....

Tell me the Starks end up kicking ass in the end (or as far as we know from the books).

iMFS7U0V8SxwF.gif

series spoilers
So far no. The author has said the story will have a "bittersweet" ending. Pick a new favorite character instead.

Massa

Yeah, they're really oversensitive, but I guess I don't blame them after some idiots did post real spoilers. Better to not just say anything.

It's not that they're oversensitive but people just keep breaking the damn rules of the thread over and over again. No book spoilers means no spoilers for future, present *and* past events and books. No book comparisons, answers, or anything.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

...please....

pleeaaasssseeee.....

iMFS7U0V8SxwF.gif

Semisafe series spoilers
Starks exist as of the latest book if that makes you feel better.

Heh. Pretty good.

If I pick up the books from the Red Wedding, what will I have missed that's significant? Anything that stands out?

I wouldn't do that. Sure- you'll know what's going on in a broader sense, but there are so many little things along the way that fill the world, characters and story out that the show can't provide. The books are great reads, don't take any shortcuts.

ramyeon

Thanks, guys.

See, depending on the story, I'm not really one to get deeply enveloped into the lore and shit. I don't care about minor characters too much, I just like seeing the big plot movements with the characters I have established to know as major players. For example, I went ahead and read The Red Wedding after seeing the episode just to see the comparison on text. Of course, it didn't have nearly the same effect as it would have if I was reading from page 1 of book 1, but just to see how it played out in text. Unfortunate that we couldn't see inside the POV of Catelyn, but yeah, whatevs.

Back to my original question, I only ask because I don't mind missing some of the smaller things if they don't hamper my understanding of the bigger stuff. When I was reading the red wedding there were a bunch of names I didn't know (I'm guessing either changed characters or bannerman unnamed); and I quickly understood that they swapped Walder's grandson for a wife (reason...unknown) but it didn't really bother me.

You'd be missing out.

I've only read the first book but I enjoyed it more than the show, and there's a lot of exposition of the main characters there that the show skipped out on.

LordCanti

I wish Bish could've been there earlier. So frustrating seeing book readers celebrating and shit in that thread, mucking things up, posting sly winks and talking incessantly about how "the book did it this way" and so on.

When the world was still young and we were debating the tactfulness of ONE person going over there and saying "The book thread sends its regards", I wondered if people realized that multiple others were undoubtedly going to go over there and go for broke no matter what.

Gvaz

Banned
It's not that they're oversensitive but people just keep breaking the damn rules of the thread over and over again. No book spoilers means no spoilers for future, present *and* past events and books. No book comparisons, answers, or anything.

I think that's a little bit unreasonable, as most people who only watch the show talk to me ask for clarification or things you can only know if you've read the book or scoured over book free wiki guides.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

...please....

pleeaaasssseeee.....

iMFS7U0V8SxwF.gif

Let's just survey where the Starks currently stand and think about what conclusions we can draw:

qecgZ9G.jpg

Not pictured: Jon "knows nothing" Snow

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Heh. Pretty good.

If I pick up the books from the Red Wedding, what will I have missed that's significant? Anything that stands out?

A lot of people and events will make no sense.

You pretty much need to start at Clash of Kings at a minimum to understand the entirety of what's going on. Like I honestly don't understand the point of skipping any of Storm of Swords.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Thanks, guys.

Honestly, book four is pretty bad and book five is just okay. 1-3 are really the meat and potatoes, the next 2000 pages are pretty much a six month stalemate. Your better off reading 1-3 and just watching the HBO show for the streamlined direction the show will take 5-6.

That said, they pulled off tonight SO brilliantly.... Chilling.

Gvaz

Banned
Let's just survey where the Starks currently stand and think about what conclusions we can draw:

Series spoilers
Not nessessary to show Jon Snow anyways, LOL
Honestly, book four is pretty bad and book five is just okay. 1-3 are really the meat and potatoes, the next 2000 pages are pretty much a six month stalemate. Your better off reading 1-3 and just watching the HBO show for the streamlined direction the show will take 5-6.

That said, they pulled off tonight SO brilliantly.... Chilling.
No way. Book five sucks. Book four has so much fun things in it.

Massa

I think that's a little bit unreasonable, as most people who only watch the show talk to me ask for clarification or things you can only know if you've read the book or scoured over book free wiki guides.

This thread and that thread both exist for a reason.

...please....

pleeaaasssseeee.....

iMFS7U0V8SxwF.gif

Original title of the seventh book was
A Time for Wolves

So...maybe? But of course it was changed, so maybe not

Either way there's still a bunch of amazing shit coming up next season so just stick with it. Or go read the books if you can't wait to see what happens next. There are still some major bombs coming that you don't want to get spoiled on

UraMallas

Oh. I get it now. You don't understand what that thread is for. It's for people that haven't read the book. Not for people like you and I that have. The idea is that someone who has read the books would have nothing to add to the conversation in that thread. That's what this thread is for.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
You know what else is weird about this episode. As a Show-Only guy, it made me no longer care about spoilers.

I was a raving lunatic about not being spoiled on anything, but now I'm just kind of indifferent. I avoided this thread like the plague and seldom went into the others. This episode kind of make me not really care because it's apparent that ASOFAI is truly one of the series where the journey matters more than the destination.

So much time spent on Robb without him doing anything of importance and then he just dies. It didn't make me angry when I saw it, I was just kind of like ".....hmm. alright."

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No fun for you. There are people in the other thread that are calling for an end to the book posters because they are very upset right now. You can't empathize with that? Imagine you've just read the Red Wedding for the first time and then three or four people swung open your door with Dr Seuss books, party hats and Lannister balloons in hand. If you can't understand why that might upset someone I guess we are very different types of people. That's fine. Just realize Bish is in that thread and he is livid. I guess we can at least understand what that means together.

Jesus christ... I say this as a giant, giant ASoIaF nerd and fan, but come on, it's just fiction. Yeah, we get emotionally invested... to a point. To get genuinely angry and upset because someone is going "mwah haha your turn to grieve and suffer!" is just unfathomable to me. I understand being annoyed at those who just spam the same gifs and go "trolololol", simply because it's repetitive at this point, but to start assigning motives of superiority or whatnot is getting absurd. Eh.

Altazor

Series spoilers
Not nessessary to show Jon Snow anyways, LOL

No way. Book five sucks. Book four has so much fun things in it.

not necessarily (spoilers up to ADWD!)
all the North chapters (Jon, Bran, Davos, THEON!) are damn good, so are Jaime and Cersei's. Victarion's are fun because he's so over the top it's great and the only shitty ones are Daenerys' and Tyrion's - the Meereen storyline is redeemed only by Quentyn's dumbfuck plan and Ser Barristan's badassery.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

...please....

pleeaaasssseeee.....

iMFS7U0V8SxwF.gif

I wont say anything specific but I will say the impact of rob's death is pretty heavy at first (at least for most readers and apparently watchers) but Martin does a good job of keeping you interested and invested with where the storylines go from now on. It's worth sticking with it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You know what else is weird about this episode. As a Show-Only guy, it made me no longer care about spoilers.

I was a raving lunatic about not being spoiled on anything, but now I'm just kind of indifferent. I avoided this thread like the plague and seldom went into the others. This episode kind of make me not really care because it's apparent that ASOFAI is truly one of the series where the journey matters more than the destination.

So much time spent on Robb without him doing anything of importance and then he just dies. It didn't make me angry when I saw it, I was just kind of like ".....hmm. alright."

People talking about being devastated by the book RW I can't identify with. It happened and I just thought it was an awesome thing to happen. Just like Ned dying.

The two things that frustrated me when I was reading was Drogo and his son dying, because I really wanted to see where that was going (but then dragons made me feel better), and Jaime losing his hand. AFFc
of course he becomes a far more interesting character as someone who can no longer fight, and his developing relationship with Cersei is insanely interesting to me.

Hystzen

If you don't care about spoilers (just about Robb)

Series
Robb was never really that big a character his story was only viewed from Cat's POV. So we never really knew what he was thinking or what he was truly like

UraMallas

Jesus christ... I say this as a giant, giant ASoIaF nerd and fan, but come on, it's just fiction. Yeah, we get emotionally invested... to a point. To get genuinely angry and upset because someone is going "mwah haha your turn to grieve and suffer!" is just unfathomable to me. I understand being annoyed at those who just spam the same gifs and go "trolololol", simply because it's repetitive at this point, but to start assigning motives of superiority or whatnot is getting absurd. Eh.
We are on different pages. No big deal. I can understand that. I'll say no more about it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
People talking about being devastated by the book RW I can't identify with. It happened and I just thought it was an awesome thing to happen. Just like Ned dying.

The two things that frustrated me when I was reading was Drogo and his son dying, because I really wanted to see where that was going (but then dragons made me feel better), and Jaime losing his hand. AFFc
of course he becomes a far more interesting character as someone who can no longer fight, and his developing relationship with Cersei is insanely interesting to me.
See, I highlighted that and didn't even give a fuck. Cool to know he becomes even more of a cool guy.
If you don't care about spoilers (just about Robb)

Series
Robb was never really that big a character his story was only viewed from Cat's POV. So we never really knew what he was thinking or what he was truly like
I suppose that makes sense, then.

Massa

If a friend did that to you, you'd laugh. If someone who's been bullying you for years did that, you'd jump at them.

People in that thread don't like book readers unfortunately, and who can blame them? Every damn week someone goes there and breaks the rules.

See, I highlighted that and didn't even give a fuck. Cool to know he becomes even more of a cool guy.

I suppose that makes sense, then.

Get ouf of the internet and think this through. You don't want to spoil the rest of the events, trust me.

Yeah, Robb not being a POV character made it so I never cared about him that much as it was obvious he wasn't all that important to the story.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Honestly, after the first few character deaths I stopped caring who Martin killed off and just started caring about the overarching narrative. I just want to see what happens next, no matter what it is.

Cat Party

I wont say anything specific but I will say the impact of rob's death is pretty heavy at first (at least for most readers and apparently watchers) but Martin does a good job of keeping you interested and invested with where the storylines go from now on. It's worth sticking with it.

This is true. Really worth sticking around.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Thats exactly what happened with a lot of book readers who picked up the series later. Everyone who had read the book before me waiting with baited breath for me to finish the red wedding so they could kick in my door and laugh at my anger and confusion. I understood and it didn't upset me that they were getting a kick out of it because I felt the same way when other's began reading the series after me. It's such a shocking moment, you want to tease others when they go through it as well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";60907085]I think my favorite moment of the series after ASOS is
the revelation that Dany's dragons are eating children
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. That didn't really strike me as that important.

cashman

Banned
Series
AFFC and ADWD are really good books but they're dragged down by some of the shittiest POV chapters Brienne and Tyrion/Danaerys respectively. If those are streamlined then we are looking at some books on par with aGoT and aCoK.

Hystzen

I like Jaime but I know he has zero chance of a happy ending due to just because how people view him from first book.

I got to point where I avoid liking characters just watch the mess carry out.

Angry Fork

Without spoilers, what are the hound's motivations? Sometimes he's portrayed as ruthless self serving, then other times he's saved Sansa + Arya and left the Lannisters on his own accord. Does he really save the girls because he thinks it'll get him gold/praise later or is there some sentimentality in him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom