• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Question for book readers, how different has this season been so far from the books up to the Red Wedding?

The show is very faithful, all things considered. Probably a problem actually, as the cast grows and there's not enough space within an hour to give sufficient development to them(probably a good thing a few spaces have opened up recently, amirite). I commend them for being as book-accurate as possible, though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Dude, listened to the end of "My N**** Ned" guy's review, and he's done with the show. He'll review next weeks finale, then no more.

You see what you've done GRRM. YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
FYI for anyone thinking about heading to the no-book spoiler thread: Bish is there, angry, and looking for people who even hint at the books to ban.

They really did undersell the violation of guest right. In the book that was what made the Freys so awful in the eyes of others and paralleled the moral of the story of the cook of the Nightfort (
cooking people into pies is OK if its done for vengeance, going against guest right isn't
).

CassSept

That was brutal. Even knowing what will happen, the way they offed Talisa, my goodness.

It was a great episode overall, with the best fight scene in many episodes and some plot developments (Bran warging!) but it's obvious what everyone will focus on.

I'm disappointed in the other thread, you guys went completely overboard. We didn't need the posts to be meltdowns and schadenfreudes pretty much alternating. Bah.

Thanks for the input all. I think that 'Guest Right' thing would have definitely put more weight into this twist. It didn't even phase me like Ned's death (although that stomach shank was brutal)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
They really did undersell the violation of guest right. In the book that was what made the Freys so awful in the eyes of others and paralleled the moral of the story of the cook of the Nightfort (
cooking people into pies is OK if its done for vengeance, going against guest right isn't
).

They have plenty of time to do that in the aftermath. Doing it ahead of time would have been too obvious I think.

Magnus

The people saying "I drink your tears" aren't feeling superior. That's completely ridiculous. Projection much?

Projecting what? I'm projecting that onto their statements? How would I feel superior about any of this? lol

Man, people are defensive about this. I don't think it's remotely ridiculous at all. The posting in the other thread was egregious and over the top.

It's alright, we disagree on this. Done with this particular debate. I'd advise following my recommendation to avoid all such comments though; bishop's alive in that thread and the banhammer appears ready.

Altazor

).

they can still mention that in future episodes, I guess. "The Freys massacred the Starks even after they offered the bread and salt! They're cursed by the Gods!", etc.

Hystzen

If you manage to lose a war in which you lost zero battles, it's fair to say that you absolutely suck at the game of thrones. Robb sucked, and he paid the iron price for it.

Then also add in the factor he had no desire to become King just remove the Lannisters makes it more laughable

jett

D-Member
Dude, listened to the end of "My N**** Ned" guy's review, and he's done with the show. He'll review next weeks finale, then no more.

You see what you've done GRRM. YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

The guy is salty he got RW spoiled after season 1. I think it's funny how he's pissed nobody cares about his non-GOT reviews.

The guy makes really shitty arguments, anyway.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm trying to remember why my reaction to this on TV seems to be stronger for me than the book reaction was when I read it a few years back.

Then I remembered that some dickbag back then spoiled the RW for a bunch of people then, too. Up until tonight my take on it has always been more of an interested one than an emotional one. But seeing it on TV really got me drawn in where as I had my guard up, I guess, for the book one.

I hope Bish rains fire down on anyone who spoils anything in that No Book thread.

they can still mention that in future episodes, I guess. "The Freys massacred the Starks even after they offered the bread and salt! They're cursed by the Gods!", etc.

I'm sure someone will bring it up in the next episode when it starts to show the reaction in different parts of the world. Dragonstone and King's Landing, I'm sure, will both have significant chunks of dialogue spent getting the news of the RW and reacting to it as well.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Non-book reader here, i'm curious on how tonights twist was handled in the book...was it this predictable?

Also, If everyone in Westeros knew of this wedding, why would Rob let his guard down like that. You broke the guy's promise before and you know Lanisters will do what they can to get in your allies pockets...

I knew something was going to happen, but not to that extent. I figured they'd be held prisoner or maybe a few minor or side characters would die. But I did not expect what we got. I threw my kindle across the room and pouted for 20 minutes before picking it up again.

Tabris

I know everyone is on the RW, but man that scene between Arya and The Hound while he's eating the pig feet was amazing.

"Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and back through your skull." Chilling

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The one time I put down the books was when I first started reading Game of Thrones and the wedding night scene came up with Dany and Drogo. Reading about how this big dude was fucking a 13 year old doggy style was enough to make me stop reading for like a year before I restarted.

The people saying "I drink your tears" aren't feeling superior. That's completely ridiculous. Projection much?

They're just going "finally, it's your turn to suffer!!" in a playful way. Had I been in their position I'd laugh it off too.

Doesn't change the fact that it's still a douchey thing too. Schadenfreude at a third party's expense whom you have no relation to is almost always a douchey action.

Lonestar

People should have wondered "WTF is going on" when the Hound knew of this wedding, as he's hearing about it while on the run in the wilderness north of Kings Landing. Apparently everyone knew it was going on.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";60903181]It's really crazy how much shit the illiterates are guessing in their belligerence and apoplexy.[/QUOTE]

Or if they are book readers.

Adwd
I mean guessing Arya will be an assassin like Jaqen? Where would that even come from?

One thing you have to realize is that in the books Robb still had a substantial army, one much larger than the Freys. So there was no way the Freys can win a military confrontation, so even with trepidations Robb still had reason to feel safe. Robb also had with him many of the Northern Lords, I don't think anyone expected the Freys to pull off a mass killing of so much nobility.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I know everyone is on the RW, but man that scene between Arya and The Hound while he's eating the pig feet was amazing.

"Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and back through your skull." Chilling

Agreed. I also thought the scene showing Bran just absolutely shutting down Hodor like that was crazy, as well. First time you really get a sense of just what he can do as a warg. Would have liked more reflection after the fact, too, from Jojen on how impossible that was to do.

Also could have done with the ol' mention of (ASOS/AFFC/ADWD?)
How Bran could still taste the blood in his mouth after that attack.

XAL

I wish the scene had played out like it did in the book, so much more heartbreaking:

ASOS:
“It hurts so much, she thought. Our children, Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb… Robb… please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting… The white tears and the red ones ran together until her face was torn and tattered, the face that Ned had loved. Catelyn Stark raised her hands and watched the blood run down her long fingers, over her wrists, beneath the sleeves of her gown. Slow red worms crawled along her arms and under her clothes. It tickles. That made her laugh until she screamed. “Mad,” someone said, “she’s lost her wits,” and someone else said, “Make an end,” and a hand grabbed her scalp just as she’d done with Jinglebell [she kills Walder's halfwit son Aegon the jester in the book, show had better kill imo], and she thought, No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair. Then the steel was at her throat, and its bite was red and cold."

:(

Gvaz

Banned
Are you trying to imply that I'm the jerk for calling people out for doing that? That's a laugh.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a figurative pat-pat and there-there, to commiserate and vicariously re-experience the ride. And some people were doing that. I was doing that with my non-book reader friends tonight.

I was referring to the "I DRINK YOUR SALTY TEARS" type of posts, where it's all about feeling superior, gloating over those just learning what you've always known. (and I don't mean you; by 'you' I mean whoever is doing that).

I don't think anyone thinks that's cool.

I think some people were even banned for it tonight? By all the rules of our threads, that shit is indefensible.

You realize a lot of people have been waiting ten years to watch other people suffer as they have?

Altazor

I missed that line. Could've been heart breaking. "No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair". I know I lost my shit at that moment when I read, and I would've lost it again if Michelle had said, because her acting was phenomenal

Magnus

I missed that line. Could've been heart breaking. "No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair". I know I lost my shit at that moment when I read, and I would've lost it again if Michelle had said, because her acting was phenomenal

ASOS
Oh totally, totally! I was aching for that final bit of the chapter to be realized on screen. The raking of the fingernails, the agony, the rapid maddening, the "Put an end to it".

Honestly, disappointing. =/

Lonestar

Or if they are book readers.

Adwd
I mean guessing Arya will be an assassin like Jaqen? Where would that even come from?

Speculation coming off their last meeting. She knows how to get to Bravos, via the coin and the password, which I think was mentioned could also lead her to him again. Knowing that she's more or less alone in the world, where else is there for her to go (and be useful to the plot) It's either that or stay with The Hound until he drops her off

XAL

Yeah, that and the fact that she gets driven to madness - and even some of the Freys find what they've done too horrible to stomach any longer and call to put her out of her misery.

Altazor

ASOS
Oh totally, totally! I was aching for that final bit of the chapter to be realized on screen. The raking of the fingernails, the agony, the rapid maddening, the "Put an end to it".

I still thought it was wonderful, though. It was still damn emotional, even with that missed opportunity.

and watching Catelyn go catatonic was HEAVY.

You realize a lot of people have been waiting ten years to watch other people suffer as they have?

And that seems to me a horrific and small minded way to view things.

I wanted to see that scene because it was a powerful scene in the books and I wanted to see if the show could do it justice.

I don't understand why you would take joy in seeing people watch a cast of characters they've been following, rooting, and cheering for over three years get brutally murdered.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Heh. Pretty good.

If I pick up the books from the Red Wedding, what will I have missed that's significant? Anything that stands out?

Gvaz

Banned
And that seems to me a horrific and small minded way to view things.

I wanted to see that scene because it was a powerful scene in the books and I wanted to see if the show could do it justice.

I don't understand why you would take joy in seeing people watch a cast of characters they've been following, rooting, and cheering for over three years get brutally murdered.

Because schadenfreude is fucking amazing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Doesn't change the fact that it's still a douchey thing too. Schadenfreude at a third party's expense whom you have no relation to is almost always a douchey action.

lol, whatever you say.
ngbbs51255359f0b71.jpg

The guy is salty he got RW spoiled after season 1. I think it's funny how he's pissed nobody cares about his non-GOT reviews.

The guy makes really shitty arguments, anyway.

His "reviews" have been terrible for a while but they're still part of my GoT tradition. It'll be kind of sad if he really does go through with dropping the show

This dude is way better anyway http://youtu.be/RwagX5rs6gM

Altazor

Heh. Pretty good.

If I pick up the books from the Red Wedding, what will I have missed that's significant? Anything that stands out?

lots of characters, lore, and events that transpired a bit differently from the show. The major events are still there, but there are a lot of details that never made the transition from the page to the screen.

I'd say start from the beginning, even if S1 was the most faithful one.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Heh. Pretty good.

Tons of ancillary characters and great writing. You will be a bit lost for a bit, but nothing you wouldn't be able to recover from if you have someone to ask about things. There are people in this thread who I am sure would help.

anaron

ASOS

I wanted that & Greywind tearing up the damn place.

Hystzen

Heh. Pretty good.

Character developments,background and other characters who not in show but are great.

I would say read from start but up to you really

suzu

Heh. Pretty good.

You won't understand a lot of stuff, seriously.

If anything, start from the 2nd book (A Clash of Kings). Or at least read a wiki for the first 2 books before starting 3, if you're going to ignore any incoming advice from other readers. lol.

Gvaz

Banned
The summer child thread is getting a little crazy about perceived spoilers, regardless if they are actually spoilers or not. One guy asked a question about the books and how a character was different, some dude responded, and like five people got bent out of shape.

It's irrelevant.

Even though I knew it was coming, seeing Talisa stabbed in gut knowing she's pregnant was something I can't forget. I don't even care for the character but damn. Seeing Robb filled with arrows trying to take care of his bride was something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom