• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what small part of me was looking forward to seeing that on screen, but in hindsight I have no idea why my brain every entertained that thought. That was absolutely brutal, much harder to watch than I expected.

Fuch

I guess I'll do a content roundup at some point.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Without spoilers, what are the hound's motivations? Sometimes he's portrayed as ruthless self serving, then other times he's saved Sansa + Arya. Does he really save them because he thinks it'll get him gold/praise later or is there some sentimentality in him?

Sentimentality, especially toward Sansa. But with Arya I think it is mostly self serving.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Without spoilers, what are the hound's motivations? Sometimes he's portrayed as ruthless self serving, then other times he's saved Sansa + Arya. Does he really save them because he thinks it'll get him gold/praise later or is there some sentimentality in him?

That's a really weird question. I'm not sure how you can answer it without spoiling things.

Pkaz01

I don't understand the people that come in this thread and say without spoilers, then ask a question that can't be answered without spoiling anything.

cashman

Banned

He saved sansa because he was loyal to joff, and he took care of arya for gold. He's not Bolton evil, but a Stark hostage is still very valuable.

jett

D-Member
I think the Hound, deep down, is kind of a good person...sort of...relatively speaking...maybe.

Series
AFFC and ADWD are really good books but they're dragged down by some of the shittiest POV chapters Brienne and Tyrion/Danaerys respectively. If those are streamlined then we are looking at some books on par with aGoT and aCoK.

I personally enjoyed AFFC worlds more than ADWD. ADWD was a serious chore to get through.
The Tyrion and Dany chapters are uniformly the lowest moments of the series. I hope big, massive changes are made going forward. I don't want to suffer that garbage twice.

blackflag

Did they skip the whole big deal of the conversation between Cat and Robb about (ASOS SPOILER)
greywind being locked up or not? That was a pretty big deal in the book and at that point you know it's gonna be bad...maybe they didn't want to foreshadow it that obviously...or it was there and I missed it?

Gvaz

Banned
Series
AFFC and ADWD are really good books but they're dragged down by some of the shittiest POV chapters Brienne and Tyrion/Danaerys respectively. If those are streamlined then we are looking at some books on par with aGoT and aCoK.

I love Brienne though :(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
He saved sansa because he was loyal to joff, and he took care of arya for gold. He's not Bolton evil, but a Stark hostage is still very valuable.

Him talking to Sansa in her room on the night of the Blackwater shows that it isn't some loyalty to Joffrey that drove his desire to save Sansa from the angry crowd. Hell, Joffrey never even told him to go get her, Tyrion did.

I don't like the daenerys in the last book but I'm sure she will bounce out of that. So you guys mourning Rob? I am already being setup for another r.r. martin punch to the gut

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Jesus fuck I relived that dreaded scene from 5 years ago. I still remember putting the book down and staring at the wall for a good 10 minutes. I didn't think the second time around would be as tough, but damn, I can't even finish any work tonight or anything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People talking about being devastated by the book RW I can't identify with. It happened and I just thought it was an awesome thing to happen. Just like Ned dying.

The two things that frustrated me when I was reading was Drogo and his son dying, because I really wanted to see where that was going (but then dragons made me feel better), and Jaime losing his hand. AFFc
of course he becomes a far more interesting character as someone who can no longer fight, and his developing relationship with Cersei is insanely interesting to me.

I wasn't particularly devastated because I didn't much like Robb and actively disliked Cat.

I personally enjoyed AFFC worlds more than ADWD. ADWD was a serious chore to get through.
The Tyrion and Dany chapters are uniformly the lowest moments of the series. I hope big, massive changes are made going forward. I don't want to suffer that garbage twice.

Yeah, the majority of the stuff that takes place outside of the North was terrible. I was surprised at how bored I was by Tyrion's story. I wasn't to surprised at my hatred of Dany's chapters as I've never really liked her chapters. But I guess I was a bit surprised at how terrible they were.

That was a fairly disappointing episode. I don't think Benioff and Weiss really did justice to the Red Wedding.

Maybe it's just lowered expectations on my part, but I thought it was decently done.

Jarmel

Banned
Did they skip the whole big deal of the conversation between Cat and Robb about (ASOS SPOILER)
greywind being locked up or not? That was a pretty big deal in the book and at that point you know it's gonna be bad...maybe they didn't want to foreshadow it that obviously...or it was there and I missed it?

They took out a lot of foreshadowing for shock value.

Speevy

Banned
That was a fairly disappointing episode. I don't think Benioff and Weiss really did justice to the Red Wedding.

I thought they did great justice to the wedding by having it more as an intimate affair. Next episode, I'm sure they'll make the scale of the thing more apparent.

They rightly had you focus on Robb, Catt, and Talisa instead of focusing on the Stark men.

I wont say anything specific but I will say the impact of rob's death is pretty heavy at first (at least for most readers and apparently watchers) but Martin does a good job of keeping you interested and invested with where the storylines go from now on. It's worth sticking with it.

I get much more invested with characters than the overall story.

I will keep watching, but there are only 6 characters left that I care about. If 3/6 die I will probably quit. At that point it IS a troll series in my mind.... no negotiations.

Hystzen

I thought I was only person who like Feast

ADWD
the only interesting part with Tyrion was just "Aegon" but rest was bad

Speevy

Banned
Here's something that makes almost no sense from either the book or show perspective.

Roose Bolton turned on Robb and made a deal with the Lannisters. He knew there was something in it for him, and he took it.

The logistics of convincing all the Bolton men to betray Robb Stark without uttering a word at a giant gathering is mind-boggling.

duxstar

What will happen to these people when
Jon snow gets killed ... If he's really dead that is

The end of book 5 left me with 1 person to root for
Arya

Angry Grimace

ASOS
Red Viper vs Mountain then end with Tywin

ASOS
I don't think those will occur in the same episode, although a lot of that depends on the order in which they air events, which is pretty malleable since a lot of events occur at a lot of different places at the end of ASOS.

The end of book 5 left me with 1 person to root for Arya

This is what we call "doing spoiler tags wrong." (for reference, I added the spoiler tags as they should have been, but the post above does not have them).

ramyeon

So apparently even mentioning the word "book" is against the rules in the other thread now.

I can't wait to catch up with my book reading and join this thread, I just can't do that other thread anymore.

Welp, that's that. I've been re-reading ASOS (for the third time) and when I got to that Catelyn chapter I kept putting it off, just didn't want to re-read that part. It took me a week to finally pick the book up again and read her chapter. I still remember how I felt the first time I read that, and I still feel the same today. The grim foreboding, dreams, visions etc all pointed to something bad happening to Robb, but I held out hope to the very end. I thought Grey Wind would magically arrive or something lol.

They handled the scene well, although I still feel the lack of any Northern bannermen was a disappointment. No Greatjon, Mormont, Manderly, etc...not even one? Sigh. Oh well. The north remembers.

I liked the Dany stuff, and the Jorah/Daario/Grey Worm fight was sort of like Spartacus, pretty cool. Also enjoyed the goodbye scene between Bran and Rickon, although Bran's "oh btw I saw Jon lol" felt VERY weird/bad.

Next ep's name tells us how one of the arcs will end, but I honestly have no idea where exactly the others will end.

Speevy

Banned

The end of book 5 left me with 1 person to root for
Arya

I think <series>
they're gonna keep Jon Snow alive. He's too important, the other Stark boys are too young/incapable, and while he'll never win the iron throne I think he's possibly the most important character left.

jett

D-Member

The more I think about it the more I believe this show is really limited by two things: TV budget, and trying to cram every single plotline from the books(which thins out the money).. So I guess...it's just the one thing. :p But it's the reason that we've only seen a single big battle in three seasons, and it still felt kind of a small affair. The Borgias, for instance, doesn't concern itself with shooting in multiple countries simultaneously with a massive cast of actors, and thus is able to actually show big ass armies. I'm not sure if we've even had a shot of an huge army on the field preparing for battle, nevermind the actual battle. I guess this is the way it is and it is the way it will be until the show is done.

Speevy

Banned
Battles are often boring because it's hard to tell what's going on.

With everyone's similar uniforms I imagine it would be twice as hard.

It was definitely the worst penultimate episode IMO, but wasn't bad. Definitely had some odd acting moments, and editing. Overall I enjoyed it, and while the wedding wasn't perfect they did it justice overall.

So apparently even mentioning the word "book" is against the rules in the other thread now.

I can't wait to catch up with my book reading and join this thread, I just can't do that other thread anymore.

No. The person who I think you are referring too also alluded to an "aftermath". That there is a major aftermath IS a spoiler (for all that us non readers know it could have been an ending point for the story line). The reaction was appropriate.

meijiko

I can't really blame them for being cautious, but jumping down people's throats for asking a simple question about the episode is pretty insane, just because they happened to mention reading the books.

Then again, most of them are emotional wrecks at this point. I don't really expect them to have the best judgment.

No. The person who I think you are referring too also alluded to an "aftermath". That there is a major aftermath IS a spoiler (for all that us non readers know it could have been an ending point for the story line). The reaction was appropriate.

Yeah, no one can expect an aftermath when the King in the North gets slaughtered. Their tongue-in-cheek attitude probably killed it, but they didn't spoil anything. Anyone with a brain would know there's an aftermath.

ShaneB

Half the reason I decided to read the books was just not have to worry about other people spoiling shit on me. =/ It's just ridiculous.

f0rk

Having a episode 9 spoiler thread sucks for people in other countries who can't watch it live, gives the game away

ADWD
the whole problem with Dany's chapters is that none of the characters feel interesting. Westeros, all the characters feel intricately thought out, well put together and like GRRM had planned them all from the beginning. New houses like the Boltons come to prominence, but always feel well placed. All the characters in Essos are like caricatures, no depth, no history, nothing interesting. They are given weird names and weird or funny appearances to excuse a lack of depth. I do not remember a single characters name outside of Daario in the Essos chapters

I would challenge the show writers to really one up GRRM here and give the Dany chapters some depth. They havent done it t all so far, but that's because they haven't gone above and beyond the source material they really need to because the scenarios in Dany's chapters have the potential to carry the show. There is a lot of political intrigue in ADWD, but without the characters to carry it. They really need to expand the source material to do it right. The fact they have actually decreased the number of characters in Dany's story is worrying

I would suggest starting Quentyn Martells story as early as next season. At least establishing him as a relevant actor in the story. Instead of just throwing him into the mix in such a contrived way as GRRM did

Angry Grimace

Favorites are Jaime and Brienne imo

They're being extremely absurd but whatever. :|

SO why quote it??
Because I fixed it to how it should appear if done correctly in the quote.

ramyeon

I can't really blame them for being cautious, but jumping down people's throats for asking a simple question about the episode is pretty insane, just because they happened to mention reading the books.

Then again, most of them are emotional wrecks at this point. I don't really expect them to have the best judgment.
Yeah, they're doing it to anyone that has the fact that they're a book reader in the post. Basically replying to it with "You're getting banned now". It's ridiculous.
I've only read the first book and from that post I got nothing. They didn't say there was a major aftermath, all they asked is if they showed anything post-slaughter or just faded to black after everyone was killed. Of course something happens after the slaughter. What, does the whole universe stop after tonight's episode? Must be a boring last few books then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom