• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
ASOS
Actually he doesn't as far as we've been shown. That's just common speculation because there was a conversation between Robb and Catelyn about doing so.

AFFC/ADWD
That is irrelevant anyway because Stannis was already willing to make Jon a full Stark and Jon turned it down.

I think they're banning for "gloating" now. Dangerous. I'll still lurk that other thread but I don't think I'll post there (even something non-spoilerish or non-book related) anymore. I don't want to be banned.

lol as a non-bookreader i'm lurking both threads now. I'm enjoying everyones reaction here to the reactions in the other thread. This is some good prep for E3 :)

I don't have a place to post. There's no thread for show watchers who've read the books. I can't talk much in the no spoiler thread and this thread is for book people who watch the show.

Being in here makes me one of you gloaters. It's like siding with the Lannisters.

Show > Books for life

duxstar

ASOS
Actually he doesn't as far as we've been shown. That's just common speculation because there was a conversation between Robb and Catelyn about doing so.

I could've sworn Jon was made a stark but can't remember if the letter got sent or not this is the books though not the TV show

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I get much more invested with characters than the overall story.

I will keep watching, but there are only 6 characters left that I care about. If 3/6 die I will probably quit. At that point it IS a troll series in my mind.... no negotiations.

It really isn't a "troll" series, and as much as I hated the Red Wedding five years ago; it does make sense for the overall story. Stick with it it gets even better from here on out in my opinion.

I loved the red wedding when I first read it. I was like, "oh catelyn chapter here we zzzzzzzz wait is that YES YES YES HAHAHA". Progress!

Then book 4 was ass.

blackflag

ADWD
Yeah, but apparently getting rezzed makes you kind of weird/crazy. I just didn't think we'd see that a third time. In fact, I think its even more likely Jon wargs into Ghost and just stays in a coma for a while while he recovers.

Never thought of that. Seems possible. We'll find out in 8 years or so.

Because it's totally okay to judge a whole group of people based on the actions of a few.

Yeah.

That's just the way the world works. If a bunch of people wearing baseball caps went around robbing every bank in town, pretty soon people are going to think you're a bank robber when they see you wearing a baseball cap.

Don't blame the show-watchers for being fed up, blame the asshole book reader who can't keep their mouth shut.

Trasher

The cripple iirc. Succession is sons before daughters' sons, Jon has no claim because he's both a bastard and a man of the Night's Watch.

You are correct, but Bran is believed to be dead. So as far as the majority of the realm knows, Sansa is the actual heir to Winterfell right now. Which means that Tyrion is the Lord of Winterfell.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AFFC/ADWD
That is irrelevant anyway because Stannis was already willing to make Jon a full Stark and Jon turned it down.

Series
Well sure, but if Robb had actually done that, it wouldn't matter if Jon wanted to or not. Not that anyone recognizes Robb's authority to legitimize bastards by the end of ADWD

I think they're banning for "gloating" now. Dangerous. I'll still lurk that other thread but I don't think I'll post there (even something non-spoilerish or non-book related) anymore. I don't want to be banned.

I was really disappointed to see bengraven doing that in the thread, the minute the Red Wedding was about to commence/get ugly. I just don't understand the point of needing to interject yourself into the non book reader's emotions/views.

BTW just heard Larry Williams won't be reviewing the show anymore, after the finale. Jerks spoiled the RW for him a couple years ago (right after the end of S1 I think) and he's been upset about how book fans attack his videos. So yea...way to go.

How legit is that , I mean is it word from GRRM himself the information they added

I honestly have no idea, I tried looking at the app but it seemed like a piece of shit. I just heard on the westeros forums from the "grand northern conspiracy" threads that it was confirmed. I assume it's from the same people as the upcoming world of ice and fire book, but I dont really know

I was really disappointed to see bengraven doing that in the thread, the minute the Red Wedding was about to commence/get ugly. I just don't understand the point of needing to interject yourself into the non book reader's emotions/views.

BTW just heard Larry Williams won't be reviewing the show anymore, after the finale. Jerks spoiled the RW for him a couple years ago (right after the end of S1 I think) and he's been upset about how book fans attack his videos. So yea...way to go.

His reviews have been really annoying for a while but i'm still hoping the finale changes his mind somehow. It'll definitely be sad not to have his reviews to look forward to after every episode. His comments about wishing the Lannisters had been involved with the RW were painful as fuck though.

Interesting. That didn't really strike me as that important.

I liked it because it made them seem like real animals and not magical things. That's the marker where Dany's arc becomes interesting again because there's real conflict. So much of Dany and Jon's scenes until book 5 are just turning the wheels.

Series
Well that's incredibly stupid. So neither does any Starks kill anyone on the list, the list doesn't even include the worst betrayers?

Again, she doesn't know who the betrayers are specifically, so she can't add their names to the list.

Levi

Banned
Having a thread where they try to pretend a book that's over a decade old doesn't exist is just dumb. Sorry, guys, the books exist. The red wedding is older than half the posters on the gaming side. Anyone who truly wants to experience this story the way it was meant to be consumed has had years to get caught up, and anyone in a fandom based on books who refuses to read them AND gets pissed that other people have? Stay off the internet, or be spoiled. There is no other option.

That being said, a book reader posting in such a thread? Even dumber. They want to have a walled garden, and the likes of us do not belong there. The whole point of that thread is to avoid discussing a show based on books with people who have read them.

I will not be shedding any tears for any book readers banned tonight.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait, I thought that
In the book, both Jeyne and her child survive
?

Series
Jeyne wasn't/isn't pregnant in the book.

She is explicitly alive as of AFFC since Jaime is bartering with the Westerling family over re-marraige rights and whether or not she was ever pregnant with Robb's kid.

cashman

Banned
That's just the way the world works. If a bunch of people wearing baseball caps went around robbing every bank in town, pretty soon people are going to think you're a bank robber when they see you wearing a baseball cap.

Don't blame the show-watchers for being fed up, blame the asshole book reader who can't keep their mouth shut.

replace baseball caps with black/brown people. Generalizations are fun!

LordCanti

Wait, I thought that
In the book, both Jeyne and her child survive
?

Series
Jeyne yes, but there is no child that we know of. I think it's in canon that she was given moon tea (an abortion drug basically). Talisa being killed and the baby being stabbed directly pretty much put to bed any notion that Robb's child is going to rise up and do anything of importance, since there isn't one.

Synless

This is true. Except the child is a rumor/not confirmed. Robb purposely didn't take her so as not to insult Lord Frey with her presence.
Right, but what if he makes that a major point in the last two books? How the fuck will they spin that?

Edit* I forgot about some of that, specifically
moontea

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
His reasoning was bullshit though, "People watch my GoT reviews more than my other ones so I'm not going to do GoT reviews any more".

Series
I didn't see Jeyne die. And did the book ever say Jeyne was pregnant?

Series
No. In fact the book says she's not pregnant. There is a difference in the description of Jeyne between Catelyn and Jaime and so there's a theory that it's a different girl when Jaime sees her and the real Jeyne is pregnant and somewhere else. I think George or the editor or someone has said it was just a mistake, or just a difference in impression between Catelyn and Jaime.

Angry Grimace

Right, but what if he makes that a major point in the last two books? How the fuck will they spin that?

AFFC/Series
Jeyne's mom has a dialogue with Jaime in which she says she gave Jeyne moon tea and told her it was a fertility drug.

Series
No. In fact the book says she's not pregnant. There is a difference in the description of Jeyne between Catelyn and Jaime and so there's a theory that it's a different girl when Jaime sees her and the real Jeyne is pregnant and somewhere else. I think George or the editor or someone has said it was just a mistake, or just a difference in impression between Catelyn and Jaime.
series
I seem to remember reading something with GRRM that clarified that it was either just a difference in opinion by Cat and Jaime or just an editing error.

ZeroRay

So...

Anyone really looking forward to season 4? After tonight, I believe it can be in the same league as some of the greats like Breaking Bad Season 3/4, Wire Season 4, The Shield season 5/7.

blackflag

So...

Anyone really looking forward to season 4? After tonight, I believe it can be in the same league as some of the greats like Breaking Bad Season 3/4, Wire Season 4, The Shield season 5/7.

Yes I've read the book 3 times but even still until watching this season, I forgot how much great shit happened in the last half.

Trasher

Having a thread where they try to pretend a book that's over a decade old doesn't exist is just dumb. Sorry, guys, the books exist. The red wedding is older than half the posters on the gaming side. Anyone who truly wants to experience this story the way it was meant to be consumed has had years to get caught up, and anyone in a fandom based on books who refuses to read them AND gets pissed that other people have? Stay off the internet, or be spoiled. There is no other option.

That being said, a book reader posting in such a thread? Even dumber. They want to have a walled garden, and the likes of us do not belong there. The whole point of that thread is to avoid discussing a show based on books with people who have read them.

I will not be shedding any tears for any book readers banned tonight.

As long as book readers aren't spoiling/hinting at anything concerning the story, it doesn't matter if they are posting in there. It's still fun to discuss the characters/actors or whatever that doesn't have anything to do with story details. It's simple: just don't discuss any of the story shit and you are fine in there. Just ban the dumbasses who post the spoiler shit. Making a rule stating "No book readers are allowed to post in here" isn't going to stop anyone who wants to spoil something.

i'm definitely looking forward to it but i don't think it can ever be in the league of those shows to me.

oh and book 4 (or 5) spoiler
i loved it so much when joffrey was killed in the book, but is anybody sad that he'll be going in the show? he's definitely one of my favorite characters in the tv series as he's such a joy to watch as he trolls everyone :(

As long as book readers aren't spoiling/hinting at anything concerning the story, it doesn't matter if they are posting in there. It's still fun to discuss the characters/actors or whatever that doesn't have anything to do with story details. It's simple: just don't discuss any of the story shit and you are fine in there. Just ban the dumbasses who post the spoiler shit. Making a rule stating "No book readers are allowed to post in here" isn't going to stop anyone who wants to spoil something.

The problem is many of the book reader who post there can't stop talking about the books, or are some confused about the books vs the TV show they post things that only happened in the books as pretend it was part of the show, or they can't stop themselves from saying "well it happens differently in the books".

I don't blame them for a draconian rule as a result.

Trasher

Edit* I forgot about some of that, specifically
moontea

Well I think it's quite telling about the validity of that theory then since the showrunners know how the book series end. So it must not be super crucial to the story. It's going to get super interesting once GRRM releases the final books. I'm praying that the show and books don't go in total opposite directions by the end. If they do they do though, and I hope GRRM doesn't change his story just because the show may be doing its own thing now.

The problem is many of the book reader who post there can't stop talking about the books, or are some confused about the books vs the TV show they post things that only happened in the books as pretend it was part of the show, or they can't stop themselves from saying "well it happens differently in the books".

I don't blame them for a draconian rule as a result.

Well if they are confused about something and they post it as if it is factual, then they need to be banned. That thread just needs sharper moderation.

If they are discussing things such as "well it's different in the books", then that requires banning.

If an actual show watcher is curious, they can come over here (that's what the spoiler tagging is for), or they can PM one of the handful of people who have mentioned that they would answer those types of questions.

So a few things:
-Sam stuff SERIES
So looks like no Coldhands, at least for now? I thought it was all but confirmed with all the emphasis of the birds last episode, but Sam knows about the Black Gate. If course they could still introduce him to Bran and Co beyond the wall early next season.
-Blackfish takes a leak.
Will that allow him to escape, will he be a prisoner at The Twins for now? I wonder if we'll find out next week.
Preview discussion ASOS
Shit at Roose on the top of the Twins and the burning Stark flag. In some actual speculation, looks like Jaime back in Kings Landing. Could be misleading, but he's standing with a wall behind him that looks way nicer than anything I think he'd encounter on the way to Kings Landing. Now, I don't think this comes as much of a surprise with the bear pit being in episode 7. After featuring him so heavily this season, I wouldn't expect him to just be gone for somewhere around 5-7 episodes in order to get him to Kings Landing after the royal wedding.

Series
When though? To get up to current, we're 3 seasons away. So have to watch the same amount to have the Starks get no revenge on anyone yet.

For the most part, yeah. BIG SERIES SPOILERS
Arya should actually get one of the names off her list personally next season, if they follow the books. Jon will get another one probably in season 5 depending on how they do things and again if they stick to the books.

So...

While I think the material is there, I don't think the show has what it takes to join those listed. We'll see. This season has certainly been a step up over last season, and maybe the trend will continue.

His reviews have been really annoying for a while but i'm still hoping the finale changes his mind somehow. It'll definitely be sad not to have his reviews to look forward to after every episode. His comments about wishing the Lannisters had been involved with the RW were painful as fuck though.

Yea, for someone who watches so much television it's puzzling to see him just...miss stuff. It's pretty obvious the Lannisters were involved in this. A couple episodes Tywin basically said "I started a war to get my ugly dwarf son back. What the fuck do you think I'll do to get my heir back?"

On the "northern conspiracy"
ASOS/ADWD
Martin did indeed work on the app, and gave his blessing to its contents. Something weird definitely seems to be going on at the Wall. The Northern tribe people (the Liddles), the Flints, and other northerners showing up to the Wall and talking with Jon doesn't seem like a coincidence; they could be feeling him out, to see what type of man he is.

This assumes word of Jon being legitimized has spread throughout the North, which could be a stretch. Manderly doesn't seem to know about it for instance. Still I do believe the conspiracy that the north will "betray" the Boltons, that the Glovers have a large army marching toward the castle, and that Stannis will fake his death to get inside Winterfell with his men. Something big is clearly about to happen.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Not too familiar with the series, but I saw this episode. So the HBO series didn't really showcase Robb's inner circle of Northern lieutenants? I loved those guys.

One of other big gut-punches from the book was reading about all of the Robb's loyal bannermen getting killed. Since it was from Cat's POV, it was all related to the reader in a unsettlingly passive & surreal way, as Cat is in shock, struggling to process the carnage taking place. I remember
the Smalljohn getting his head lopped off and Dacey Mormont taking an axe to the gut as being particularly brutal.
Others making brave, but futile, last stands.

I feel like the TV series missed out here. It's not just Robb being killed at the RW, it's all of the Northern noble houses' best and brightest lords and heirs also meeting their ends (or taken hostage), which really shows how the North is now left completely gutted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom