• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its on tonight over here, I don't know if I'm ready. The non-book thread was pretty funny, but some of the people posting over there using their tears as lube and laughing at their reactions really need to take a look at themselves.

TCRS

Banned
I'm kind of annoyed at all this "GRRM is a sadist/crusher of dreams" crap Internet nonsense. He's said himself that it was incredibly difficult to write and that he loved the characters. Asoiaf just happens to be crueler than his other books because the setting calls for it.

Well they're still in shock, I felt the same for days. Fucking George.

jett

D-Member
Its on tonight over here, I don't know if I'm ready. The non-book thread was pretty funny, but some of the people posting over there using there tears as lube and laughing at their reactions really need to take a look at themselves.

I think the people that should seek help are those that claim to be sobbing and crying like school children. Some girl says she cried in the bathroom for 20 minutes. lol to that.

Scuderia

The reactions in the non book reader thread are glorious. I haven't seen it yet because i like in the UK, however... if they end the finale on
Arya seemingly getting killed
i think that will seriously drive some of those people over the edge :D

Ratrat

I think the people that should seek help are those that claim to be sobbing and crying like school children. Some girl says she cried in the bathroom for 20 minutes. lol to that.
I don't watch much popular tv but is there any credence to the claim of it being one of the most shocking moments in television?

Either way I'm baffled some are dropping the show after it.

Conor 419

Banned
Just realised that 'Grey Wind' wasn't Robb's last words.

Talking about completely ruining shit, I actually am staggered as to why they omitted Robb warging into Greywind, killing a shit load of freys, then being killed again.

WHY.

I don't watch much popular tv but is there any credence to the claim of it being one of the most shocking moments in television?

It is. I can't think of much that comes close... Sopranos and the Wire had a few moments, but they were never shocking. Maybe a few times in Oz I was like "I can't watch this anymore" because of some of the events

Brashnir

I bet most of them don't actually drop the show.

When I got to that point in the book, I had a brief "fuck this..." moment, but I kept reading. Having ASOS
the amazing second-half rally there was certainly better than needing to wait for an off-season until the story gets to all the awesome

Moff

Talking about completely ruining shit, I actually am staggered as to why they omitted Robb warging into Greywind, killing a shit load of freys, then being killed again.

WHY.

is that really that hard to imagine what the reason could be?
the show struggles with its budget every episode, whole battles are left out.
a cgi wolf ripping a few people apart would simply have been too much.

calling it "completely ruined" because of that is both incorrect and stupid, though.

jett

D-Member

Eh, who knows, that depends upon each person. Personally the books have had some of the most shocking moments I've encountered in fiction.

Brashnir

No to mention the fact that they're just now coming to terms with Bran's warging, and it seems they're trying to mostly keep it special and not have to explain why all the Starks are doing it, yet somehow Bran is way way better at it.

WHY.

That certainly wasn't my interpretation of the Red Wedding in the books.

Hell, I didn't know it was an interpretation until you started banging on about it, never mind it being fact.

Conor 419

Banned

calling it "ruined" because of that is both incorrect and stupid, though.

Well...yes? It's not like we've had a Battle of Blackwater this season.

What like when two direwolves ripped people apart earlier in the episode?

jett

D-Member

WHY.

Wut. :lol

I think there's like one hint in the book of Robb having the same warging skill as his brother, but it certainly wasn't alluded to it in the show. And I don't know about that happening in the book that way. Besides, direwolves are such a small part of the TV show anyway, it's kinda sad.

devilhawk

Saying AFfC > ADwD right after ADwD's release was near blasphemy. Now, thankfully, it is known.

But I am optimistic that D&D can be the editor that GRMM so badly needed.

I am happy with the way they handled the RW. I really liked the wife for Aegon switch.

Conor 419

Banned

I think there's like one hint in the book of Robb having the same warging skill as his brother, but it certainly wasn't alluded to it in the show. And I don't know about that happening in the book that way. Besides, direwolves are such a small part of the TV show anyway, it's kinda sad.

GRRM confirmed every Stark child is a warg

yo seriously that ending scene sadly just felt goofy when that happened.

Yeah... I always imagined that in the books happening from Cat's POV with her losing it and clawing her face as she watched Robb die, then somebody coming up from behind her, grabbing her hair back ("Ned loved my hair") and then slitting her throat.

The way that random Frey jumps in to slit Cat's throat looks a little silly, just in how its framed.

WHY.

Just because something you interpreted (seems like a new interpretation to me) in the books worked for you, doesn't mean it would work on screen. It's more effective and poignant to have Robb look over his dead wife, be stabbed by Bolton and his mother scream than to cut away from that to show Robb warging and Grey Wind killing a bunch of men. What makes it effective is that everything comes to a standstill and the camera stays on Catelyn. Warging is unnecessary and would break the flow.

What I did miss is Grey Wind being set free (it could have been via Arya or Blackfish) and killing a bunch of men, as a last stand.

Moff

Well...yes? It's not like we've had a Battle of Blackwater this season.

What like when two direwolves ripped people apart earlier in the episode?

you have apparently not the smallest understanding of how this works.

they have elaborated in interviews how they had to fight a lot with HBO for the blackwater battle and convince them that its really important for the plot and the show wouldnt work withhout it, and then they got a limited budget for it.
and even with that, apart from the explosion, we didnt really get an epic battle we know from hollywood movies, everything felt small.

they simply didnt get the money for that direwolf scene, I am sure they would have loved to have it, because after all, who wouldnt? but its not important enough and they know that certainly nothing is "completely ruined" now, thats why its not in the show.

Conor 419

Banned
Just because something you interpreted in the books worked for you, doesn't mean it would work on screen. It's more effective and poignant to have Robb look over his dead wife, be stabbed by Bolton and his mother scream than to cut away from that to show Grey Wind killing a bunch of men. What makes it effective is that everything comes to a standstill and the camera stays on Catelyn. Warging is unnecessary.

What I did miss is Grey Wind being set free and killing a bunch of men, as a last stand.

Not really, considering he died then warged into Grey-Wind

jey_16

Banned

So true, I love those wolves....wish we got too see more of them

Michelle Fairley hasnt had much to do this season, but I think an emmy nomination is in order for the way she carried possibly the most important scene in the series. Outstanding.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wonder if anything that's been written so far could live up to this moment on screen.

Can't help but think people will start looking back on this episode and say "That's where GoT peaked"

Brashnir

I wonder if anything that's been written so far could live up to this moment on screen.

Can't help but think people will start looking back on this episode and say "That's where GoT peaked"

Don't people already do that with the books? Well, more the second half of ASOS than this moment, so I imagine it will be similar with the show.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Re-watching that scene, the most fucked up part to me was when Rob leans down to touch his wife's stomach and there is this squishing sound as his hand touches that bloody gooey mess. I was halfway through a bite of food and it did not do any favors to my appetite.

Speevy

Banned
I have a question

Series

How can people complain about how they're leaving out so much stuff, and then turn around and act worried that they'll fill the later seasons with boring stuff that drags on forever? If nothing else, the showrunners know how to cut what isn't interesting.

Eidan

Awesome episode, even outside the wedding. I particularly liked the Bran stuff this episode.

ASOS
I still think Cat's resurrection will be shown next episode, and judging by the reactions this episode is receiving from some TV viewers, I'm not sure how anyone can fault the showrunners.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
That's where the books peaked.

Perhaps, but they stayed at that peak for a good long while before falling into some crevasses. And I've never felt like they couldn't reach that peak again.

It's where the books have peaked so far. The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring have a lot of potential to surpass Storm of Swords. I'm not sure anything will match that particular event, though.

Speevy

Banned
Awesome episode, even outside the wedding. I particularly liked the Bran stuff this episode.

ASOS
I still think Cat's resurrection will be shown next episode, and judging by the reactions this episode is receiving from some TV viewers, I'm not sure how anyone can fault the showrunners.

Well...

ASOS

I thought that, but an interview with the showrunners seems to suggest that Cat's death was the last scene she filmed.

Violater

I have a question

Series

How can people complain about how they're leaving out so much stuff, and then turn around and act worried that they'll fill the later seasons with boring stuff that drags on forever? If nothing else, the showrunners know how to cut what isn't interesting.

For me I think there are certain moments that key little details that having not been left out would have made for a better delivery.
However while some of these moments play out as inner monologues within the book other are just well written lines that never made it onscreen.

The addition of killing Rob's wife I think while brutal I guess also ties up a part of the book that was left open and was probably never going to go anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom