• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The addition of killing Rob's wife I think while brutal I guess also ties up a part of the book that was left open and was probably never going to go anywhere.

Yup that theory (which was pretty weak anyway and revolved around varying hip descriptions) is gone, especially since the writers know the general ending and outlines/major arcs, and are in a position to foreshadow and pre-emptively cut the fat.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Nope.

ASOS
Everything involving Joffrey's wedding and Tyrion's trial was just as, if not more, compelling.

I think I agree with this. Especially if you add in what happens at the end of the whole ordeal. Series Spoilers
It changes the whole balance of power in the world with the old man getting killed on the shitter. Everything changes to a much larger degree after that than after the red wedding.

TCRS

Banned
Finally watched it. All the feels are coming back. god why nooooo!!

oh god I'm so down now... :(

talisas death was so fucking brutal. and catelyn the way she begs robb. :((

jett

D-Member
To steer this thread in a slightly different direction, what are some characters you feel that were actually improved in the show? Catelyn for sure. I searched for an old post of mine when I finished reading ASOS and was surprised to remember how much i disliked her. :p I actually liked her a great deal in the show, Michelle Fairley really hit it out of the park and made the character her own. King Robert in S1 is another one, he was almost a non-entity in the book.

edit:

jett said:
I'm 2/3rds through A Storm of Swords...holy shit

lolz

To steer this thread in a slightly different direction, what are some characters you feel that were actually improved in the show? Catelyn for sure. I searched for an old post of mine when I finished reading ASOS and was surprised to remember how much i disliked her. :p I actually liked her a great deal in the show, Michelle Fairley really hit it out of the park and made the character her own. King Robert in S1 is another one, he was almost a non-entity in the book.

Osha and Theon come to mind.

CassSept

That's where the series peaked? Hell, I'd say it's where it started peaking. I felt that RW was the opening of an incredible 400 pages long resolution of the first three books. That was the point where ASOS started being truly relentless and incredible, no way it can be called a peak.

Edit: Osha yeah, but Varys is on a completely another level, Conleth Hill is amazing.

Scuderia

That's where the series peaked? Hell, I'd say it's where it started peaking. I felt that RW was the opening of an incredible 400 pages long resolution of the first three books. That was the point where ASOS started being truly relentless and incredible, no way it can be called a peak.

Yep, the Red Wedding is simply the beginning, we're in for a hell of a ride until the end of S4 now.

Just saw it, didn't like it.

Spoilers for the scene in the books
They didn't talk about the guest right, Grey Wind going crazy when they meet the Freys wasn't there, the foreshadowing, the bad food, the drums, the sense of dread was missing. Robb talking about Grey Wind as his last words. It had none of the scale it did in the books with the massacre outside. Not a single Northern banner man was in the scene.

And what made the scene so haunting in the books, the intensity of Cat's final moments, wasn't there. Her going completely crazy, thinking about Ned and her children (NONE of the lines was there, like 'I've lived too long, Ned is waiting', 'A son for a son', 'Don't cut my hair') while she sews at a handicapped boy's throat until the knife hits the spine and then rakes her face and laughs hysterically as she loses her mind. That was the most disturbing part that defined the scene. Not the gore and some horribly fake looking cut CGI throats (it looked so fake I found it hard to take seriously).

But what took the cake for me was Talisa, that was just completely unnecessary. The repeated stabs, her looking at her pregnant belly in shock and screaming. It was way too much and shows that the show runners care about shock value and nothing else. The Red Wedding was a tragedy, not just for the Starks, but it shows the destruction of the north, with every big house losing someone important. In the show it looked like a family massacre. And yeah, the Talisa thing was way too much. Seemed out of place like it belonged in a horror movie.

Michelle Fairly was amazing though, if Lena perpetually constipated Headey gets award nominations over her I'll be pissed.

Conor 419

Banned

They didn't talk about the guest right, Grey Wind going crazy when they meet the Freys wasn't there, the foreshadowing, the bad food, the drums, the sense of dread was missing. Robb talking about Grey Wind as his last words. It had none of the scale it did in the books with the massacre outside. Not a single Northern banner man was in the scene.

And what made the scene so haunting in the books, the intensity of Cat's final moments, wasn't there. Her going completely crazy, thinking about Ned and her children (NONE of the lines was there, like 'I've lived too long, Ned is waiting', 'A son for a son', 'Don't cut my hair') while she sews at a handicapped boy's throat until the knife hits the spine and then rakes her face and laughs hysterically as she loses her mind. That was the most disturbing part that defined the scene. Not the gore and some horribly fake looking cut CGI throats (it looked so fake I found it hard to take seriously).

But what took the cake for me was Talisa, that was just completely unnecessary. The repeated stabs, her looking at her pregnant belly in shock and screaming. It was way too much and shows that the show runners care about shock value and nothing else. The Red Wedding was a tragedy, not just for the Starks, but it shows the destruction of the north, with every big house losing someone important. In the show it looked like a family massacre. And yeah, the Talisa thing was way too much. Seemed out of place like it belonged in a horror movie.

Michelle Fairly was amazing though, if Lena perpetually constipated Headey gets award nominations over her I'll be pissed.

Agreed, the only way they could have made it worse would have been if Talisa actually was a spy, Robb's acting was the only thing that redeemed the entire scene.

Blatz

So this is shocking "Talisa, that was just completely unnecessary. The repeated stabs, her looking at her pregnant belly in shock and screaming. "

But this wouldn't be "she sews at a handicapped boy's throat until the knife hits the spine and then rakes her face and laughs hysterically as she loses her mind."?

Your argument about the showrunners only caring about shock value fails to compute.

Just like every other previous season the fallout of "the pivotal event" is saved for the last episode.

It had the same impact as the book for me. I can nitpick about details as well if I wanted to but it's an adaptation and not a translation from page to screen.

Speevy

Banned
I think the show gave weight to the bits it built upon in previous episodes.

There's no reason to show all the northmen getting slaughtered when the show devoted almost no time to them.

What would be the point? Wow, this random guy you don't remember from season 1 is trying to save Robb's life! Welp, now he's dead too.

Sometimes grand is necessary. The showrunners got the point across without showing too many random stabbings.

Lirlond

For those of us who mourn the Red Wedding, let's drink a toast to
Wyman Manderly

“Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me.” The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. “My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”

When the show panned over that random Manderly with his merman badge. I seriously hope we get the rat cook story next episode.

traveler

Not Wario
The show sacrificed development of all the northmen around Robb in order to focus on Robb himself as a character as well as spend more time with Talisa so that this episode would hit a lot harder. I don't think it's necessarily better or worse, but it is fair trade off to go that route.

Conor 419

Banned
When the show panned over that random Manderly with his merman badge. I seriously hope we get the rat cook story next episode.

I honestly feel
A pissed off Wyman
is going to recieve a letter and express out rage next episode.

Still, I feel the entire
northern conspiracy
on the back of fucking Wendel Manderly (who had no lines) is going to be a joke.

Eidan

Didn't they talk about guest right earlier in the season? I'm thinking at Caster's place, but I could be wrong.

As for the rest of the comments, it's the kind of reaction I was actually expecting from a lot of book readers. The "every detail is an important detail" mentality. The sense of dread was there in abundance, and the last shot of Cat was haunting, even without face raking and ramblings.

Valtýr

J
And what made the scene so haunting in the books,
the intensity of Cat's final moments, wasn't there. Her going completely crazy, thinking about Ned and her children (NONE of the lines was there, like 'I've lived too long, Ned is waiting', 'A son for a son', 'Don't cut my hair') while she sews at a handicapped boy's throat until the knife hits the spine and then rakes her face and laughs hysterically as she loses her mind. That was the most disturbing part that defined the scene. Not the gore and some horribly fake looking cut CGI throats (it looked so fake I found it hard to take seriously).

Re-read the chapter. Those lines never actually are spoken, they are in her head. So to wonder why she didn't speak them is kind of absurd.

ASOS/Ep10
The preview shows the Stark banners burning so there's likely going to be a bit of "cleaning up" action outside in the beginning of the episode. They still need to show the immediate aftermath; Edmure returning from upstairs (and hopefully seeing all the bodies along with Robb/Grey Wind), Arya escaping with The Hound, etc.

ADWD
I do hope they emphasize just how many northern houses lost lives at the wedding though. A crucial understanding for the hugely important "The North Remembers" scene in ADWD.

TCRS

Banned
This episode was really good, I think they executed the wedding quite well ([ASOS]
well besides leaving the stuff out from the books regarding the other northeners, but I expect that at this point
). It was gripping and heart wrenching even if you knew what was coming.

How long have we waited for this now? Five, six years since the series was announced? The wait was worth it, I do think they've deliverd. No more Richard Madden every week is the worst of it ;-;

The part with Bran was very good as well. Daenerys... not so much.. I fucking hate Daario already.

Didn't they talk about guest right earlier in the season? I'm thinking at Caster's place, but I could be wrong.

As for the rest of the comments, it's the kind of reaction I was actually expecting from a lot of book readers. The "every detail is an important detail" mentality. The sense of dread was there in abundance, and the last shot of Cat was haunting, even without face raking and ramblings.

The only thing about Cat's breakdown that I really missed was "Ned loves my hair." That breaks my heart every time I read it.

That said, the show handled it really well and it was devastating to watch--just different.

TCRS

Banned
tumblr_mnsqzjOPLy1sos69mo1_500.gif

;-;

Loved how the handled the scene, overall. I've read ASoS, but still, I was eating dinner during the scene and didn't realize I had been frozen in place with my fork sticking into my plate until it slipped after five minutes and screeched.

In fact, that whole episode, overall, was really well done. Glad Bran finally got something interesting to do. I remember being so frustrated with that scene in the book, knowing how close the two Starks were to each other.

Also, add me to the [ASoS]
"I had no idea Robb was supposed to be warging into Grey Wind"
camp. Grey Wind probably would have killed a ton of Frey dudes, regardless of being warg'ed, so I don't know if that's enough evidence to go by.

This show really knows how to play with you, though. My roommate thought Arya was going to set Grey Wind free and kinda "save the day" or at least get some vengeance. LOL NOPE

Heart breaking. He sounds like a child when he says it, too.

Jarmel

Banned
The worst part about all of this is going to see that little shit Joffrey gloating. I could withstand it in the books but visually seeing him smile and laugh is going to piss me off.

Ghost23

This episode was really good, I think they executed the wedding quite well ([ASOS]
well besides leaving the stuff out from the books regarding the other northeners, but I expect that at this point
). It was gripping and heart wrenching even if you knew what was coming.

How long have we waited for this now? Five, six years since the series was announced? The wait was worth it, I do think they've deliverd. No more Richard Madden every week is the worst of it ;-;

The part with Bran was very good as well. Daenerys... not so much.. I fucking hate Daario already.

There is something about Daario that makes me want to just punch him in the face. Man is he terrible.

So this is shocking "Talisa, that was just completely unnecessary. The repeated stabs, her looking at her pregnant belly in shock and screaming. "

But this wouldn't be "she sews at a handicapped boy's throat until the knife hits the spine and then rakes her face and laughs hysterically as she loses her mind."?

Your argument about the showrunners only caring about shock value fails to compute.

They wouldn't have to show it in gory detail like they did with Talisa, I actually would have preferred the slicing of Cat's throat off screen. But to me her death just didn't have the impact it had in the book. Cat is a fighter, she wouldn't just stand there and wait for someone to kill her if she hadn't lost it. The stuff I described showed that she'd gone mad. And the shot of her standing there waiting for someone to hop in from offscreen, kill her and hop back offscreen looked kind of goofy IMO.

What bothers me too about Talisa is that they even brought her. As careful as Cat is before the wedding, making sure they don't do anything to insult Frey, she wouldn't have allowed her to be there. The showrunners like portraying the Starks as even dumber than they are.
Just like with Sansa, we get it, she's a naive moron, but on the show she says dumb shit like asking if her family could come to her wedding, she ist not that stupid.

Edit: Another thing about Cat: why didn't she go straight for Walder? All she needed to do was crawl to him under the table, she was right there, 2 feet away from him, instead she kills his wife. Yeah, they love showing how dumb the Starks are

duckroll

Finally watched the episode.

- Most of the combat in the episode was bad as usual, and there was a lot of it! (I can't even take Jorah seriously anymore, he's like some old dude trying to be hip, I don't find him convincing in a fight at all!)

- The Arya/Hound scenes were very good. I really like the actress. She has a good spark for someone so young. I dig the Hound too, he really embodies the role well.

- Daario's pretty hot. Yeah I'm shallow. Sue me.

- Can't stand the TeamBran characters. There's something really B-movie about the entire set up, and I don't think the actors and actresses are that great. Hodor seems like the best actor of the bunch, and that's not really saying much! Jojen is especially bad. I never liked how they handled his character on the show, and I dislike it more and more with each episode. Something just feels totally off about him.

- I love the Sam/Gilly stuff. Sam is one of the best cast characters in the series, and I really like the character arc. Their interaction is exactly how I imagined it in the books. Perfect really.

- Boy, the wedding is BRUTAL. I don't think I have any complaints about how they handled that scene. I've been mostly shitting on the series since mid-season 1, and honestly I don't feel it's that great an adaptation overall, but yeah, they definitely handled this scene well. I think that final scene with Cat was one of the few times I felt the actress really "brought it home" in terms of making the character sympathetic.

- Extra points for them not using Arya for a cheap cliffhanger fakeout. I never particularly liked that aspect of the books, and it would have been even worse in a series because of how lame and manipulative it would be.

edit:

lolz

Those two, Joffrey is a big improvement just due to the amazing acting. I like Gendry a lot more. Robb was a big improvement. The whole brotherhood was much better than they were portrayed in the book, actually interesting in the show.

There are a lot of improvements but quite a few disappointments. The small council are good but none of them hit the mark. Cersei nowhere near bitchy enough, Littlefinger and especially Varys way too obvious with their motives. Varys is such a mystery in the book, you don't know what his game is. In the show he doesn't quite capture that. While Littlefinger does wayy too much mustache twirling. Renly was supposed to be the spitting image of a young Robert Baratheon, but instead he was a bit of a twink who looked like he couldn't lift a sword.

I don't see how King Robert was a non entity in the book? He came off to me as a larger than life character, boisterous and seemed like an invincible warrior. I was shocked when he died, I didn't see it happening with the way his character was portrayed. Of course that was the first of many lessons when it comes to GRRM

Conor 419

Banned
Robb's acting really did him justice.

A lot of people call him a boring character, but those are the 'I don't understand literature' types. Robb is not meant to be anything but a symbol, and an absurdly likeable one at that, the TV show didn't do as great a job as the books in the sense of portraying the motivations he had, but damn did they nail his charisma and his relationship with Talisa.

The King in the North, whose name is STARK.

traveler

Not Wario
The Arya fakeout is so dumb and it set the precedent for one of GRRM's worst habits. (Could be considered implied series spoilers and definite DwD spoilers)
Major characters are never killed dead in an ambiguous way. Whenever GRRM wants a big character dead, it is explicit. All the stupid fakeouts in Dance with Tyrion and the reported death of Davos were the same way. Absolutely kills the tension the series built up with events like Ned's beheading and the Red Wedding. We'll have to see if Jon breaks or maintains the trend.
I assume he just inherited this from his tv background?

So I don't know what was worse...Reading the Red Wedding in the book and being shocked, or knowing it was coming in the show and having your heart pound and your palms sweat the whole time watching the show. Jesus Christ. While there is an argument that can be made that
Tyrion's arc with Oberyn, the Mountain and Tywin and Shae all dying
has more of an impact on the broader story, it doesn't compare to the dread of the Red Wedding and the personal impact it has on the reader/viewer. Even if
Tyrion had died in that arc, I don't think it would have been excruciatingly painful to watch unfold like the Red Wedding is.

jett

D-Member
Finally watched the episode.

- Most of the combat in the episode was bad as usual, and there was a lot of it! (I can't even take Jorah seriously anymore, he's like some old dude trying to be hip, I don't find him convincing in a fight at all!)

I don't understand what's the deal with the combat in the show. Why is it always so poor? It's like children playfighting, it's amateur hour. Really unexciting, every single time.

Those two, Joffrey is a big improvement just due to the amazing acting. I like Gendry a lot more. Robb was a big improvement. The whole brotherhood was much better than they were portrayed in the book, actually interesting in the show.

There are a lot of improvements but quite a few disappointments. The small council are good but none of them hit the mark. Cersei nowhere near bitchy enough, Littlefinger and especially Varys way too obvious with their motives. Varys is such a mystery in the book, you don't know what his game is. In the show he doesn't quite capture that. While Littlefinger does wayy too much mustache twirling. Renly was supposed to be the spitting image of a young Robert Baratheon, but instead he was a bit of a twink who looked like he couldn't lift a sword.

I don't see how King Robert was a non entity in the book? He came off to me as a larger than life character, boisterous and seemed like an invincible warrior. I was shocked when he died, I didn't see it happening with the way his character was portrayed. Of course that was the first of many lessons when it comes to GRRM

All valid mentions, and what everyone else mentioned about it. Thinking about it the show really did several characters justice, and even went beyond that. Others got the short end of the stick, obviously and unfortunately. :p

And Robert which was just boring and unmemorable to me, I guess. I never cared for him in the book one or way or the other.

TCRS

Banned
Man I really teared up when they named their baby Ned. Bastard writers knew how to play me haha. I think that's the whole reason for Talisa, to make the scene even more heart wrenching.

duckroll

I'm going to answer this by suggesting characters I feel are improved as characterizations on the show by the way the decided to depict the character and how the actor elevates the role. It doesn't mean I -like- the characters, but rather, I like the way they are handled.

Theon - I hate Theon on the show. He's a pile of shit, a loser, and the actor has this amazing ability to make him look so much more pathetic than he should in every scene. But that's what I *love* about it. He's always funny to watch, and he made many episodes in Season Two worthwhile just because his goofy pathetic nature seemed so real and so sincere. In the books, I found him a chore to read. In the show I actually look forward to his scenes, maybe not so much in Season Three because I'm not a fan of torture porn. :p

The Hound - I love his character in the show, and I think they've done a fantastic job with his character arc. The actor brings great presence to his scenes, and I think they do a good job with showing his conflicted emotions without having him say much at all. I think he single-handedly saved many of Sansa's King's Landing scenes, because her actress never did much for me, and even her interactions with Littlefinger weren't very interesting to watch. But the few interactions between her and the Hound really had a strong positive impact. I'm loving his scenes with Arya now too.

Gilly - I was pretty surprised by this one, because in the books I felt she was very much just a convenient part of Sam's narrative. The girl he runs into, and he helps, and in doing so helps him learn how to be more of a man. Sure, it's more or less the same here, but the actress is doing a really good job of playing off Sam's, and there's a real chemistry there. I find her very charming and it really helps make good scenes even better.

Joffery, Tywin, Tyrion, Ned, Mel, Arya, etc are all great characters on the show and very well acted, but they already had fantastic material to work off of, and honestly I liked (or hated) reading their book counterparts just as much as I do watching the versions on the show. :)

Hindle

Banned
second half of book 3 spoilers.

As good as the RW is, I always preferred
Tywins death scene
and I'm looking forward to it more then I did for the RW for some reason.

duckroll

I don't understand what's the deal with the combat in the show. Why is it always so poor? It's like children playfighting, it's amateur hour. Really unexciting, every single time.

I blame it on the fact that TV production in general, HBO or otherwise, simply doesn't have the experience to do good fantasy/medieval action. Decades of doing shoot outs instead must have left everyone with no idea on how to film people using swords. Lol.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Agreed, the only way they could have made it worse would have been if Talisa actually was a spy, Robb's acting was the only thing that redeemed the entire scene.

hahahah A tiny part of me was hoping as Rob got to her on the ground she was going to splutter out "I was a spy" and then die.

jett

D-Member
I blame it on the fact that TV production in general, HBO or otherwise, simply doesn't have the experience to do good fantasy/medieval action. Decades of doing shoot outs instead must have left everyone with no idea on how to film people using swords. Lol.

The thing is that there have been a few sword and sandal/medieval-type shows that are superior to GOT in this regard. It may be unfair to bring up Spartacus in this regard since the action is such a major component in it, but even The Borgias has better staged action scenes. HBO's own Rome as well from back in the day.

traveler

Not Wario
Can someone explain to me the seething hatred the book readers have for Talisa? As a book reader first, I don't understand. It's not that I like her as a character; I'm just indifferent. At least she has a presence, so her death in the Red Wedding/marriage to Robb means something in the show, whereas I never really felt anything for the Westerling in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom