• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Can someone explain to me the seething hatred the book readers have for Talisa? As a book reader first, I don't understand. It's not that I like her as a character; I'm just indifferent. At least she has a presence, so her death in the Red Wedding/marriage to Robb means something in the show, whereas I never really felt anything for the Westerling in the book.

My problem with Talisa is a considerable amount of time was wasted on her. Other, more important characters got the shaft to make room for her.

I don't hate her or anything, I'm just annoyed with the showrunners.

She was about to die protecting him, he 'attacked' her to make it so she wouldn't.

Looked to me that he abandoned her. He could have went after Tormund (and been aided by the direwolves).

I don't understand what's the deal with the combat in the show. Why is it always so poor? It's like children playfighting, it's amateur hour. Really unexciting, every single time.

I'm not sure if it's poor choreography or if they're aiming to reflect actual medieval fighting because realistically, medieval fighting did look like play fighting/amateurish. The stuff you usually see on TV is exaggerated nonsense that would get you killed pretty much instantly.

duckroll

Can someone explain to me the seething hatred the book readers have for Talisa? As a book reader first, I don't understand. It's not that I like her as a character; I'm just indifferent. At least she has a presence, so her death in the Red Wedding/marriage to Robb means something in the show, whereas I never really felt anything for the Westerling in the book.

I'm a book reader. I love Talisa. I'm really heartbroken that she's dead though, because if she was a spy we would at least be able to see more of her in future... maybe. She's incredibly sexy, looked exotic enough, and was an effective way of getting Robb to take off his clothes. Mmmm. What's not to like?

BFIB

Man I really teared up when they named their baby Ned. Bastard writers knew how to play me haha. I think that's the whole reason for Talisa, to make the scene even more heart wrenching.

I think that and Blackfish being there were meant to stir something with those of us who have read the books.

Tremendous scene all around. This is going to go down as one of the most shocking in TV history I'd imagine.

EktorPR

Just saw the episode.

I think they did great justice to what I got spoiled a couple years ago... I mean, it was a bloody affair, through and through. Magnificently shot, too. Which reminds me...

Has anyone .gif'd that overhead shot panning from back of the room to the front, with everyone killing/dying? It's all I can see in my mind after last night.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Random question. I had read the books long before the show so was largely uninterested in it, but checked out the first season way back when. I was surprised to see how faithful they kept to the books. Did they retain the same respect for the source material for seasons 2 and 3? Or did they inevitably have to take tv shortcuts?

Not that he necessarily improved the character but man, I am so glad they cast David Bradley as Walder Frey. He really played Frey's enjoyment of the Wedding as well as possible. All the little smiles, smirks, and quips were perfect.

"The king in the north arises!", and "now why would I let him do that" were great.

The Hermit

My problem with Talisa is a considerable amount of time was wasted on her. Other, more important characters got the shaft to make room for her.

I don't hate her or anything, I'm just annoyed with the showrunners.

Eh, if they didn't invested as much as they did, people wouldn't care when she was stabed in the uterus over and over again.

Poor baby was doomed the moment they decided to call it Ned.

f0rk

Random question. I had read the books long before the show so was largely uninterested in it, but checked out the first season way back when. I was surprised to see how faithful they kept to the books. Did they retain the same respect for the source material for seasons 2 and 3? Or did they inevitably have to take tv shortcuts?

It's been pretty much the same as season 1. Some minor characters have more or less of a role.

Blatz

They wouldn't have to show it in gory detail like they did with Talisa, I actually would have preferred the slicing of Cat's throat off screen. But to me her death just didn't have the impact it had in the book. Cat is a fighter, she wouldn't just stand there and wait for someone to kill her if she hadn't lost it. The stuff I described showed that she'd gone mad. And the shot of her standing there waiting for someone to hop in from offscreen, kill her and hop back offscreen looked kind of goofy IMO.

What bothers me too about Talisa is that they even brought her. As careful as Cat is before the wedding, making sure they don't do anything to insult Frey, she wouldn't have allowed her to be there. The showrunners like portraying the Starks as even dumber than they are.
Just like with Sansa, we get it, she's a naive moron, but on the show she says dumb shit like asking if her family could come to her wedding, she ist not that stupid.

Edit: Another thing about Cat: why didn't she go straight for Walder? All she needed to do was crawl to him under the table, she was right there, 2 feet away from him, instead she kills his wife. Yeah, they love showing how dumb the Starks are

IMO the Starks are pretty dumb in the books too. But Cat was still trying to find a way out for Robb. Lunging after Walder would have certainly ended that hope. Now, I would have slit the wife's throat then gone after Walder. But Cat gave up. I think that was fitting for the show-Cat. Maybe not for book-Cat. I found it very powerful they way she sobbed and waited. Great direction and acting.

Rezbit

Why did they change Jeyne Westerling to Talisa anyway? Seems like one of those random changes that doesn't really serve any purpose, it's not as if Jeyne said much anyway.

There are significant changes after the first season, though mostly storyline and character omissions and combinations. I don't think they've upended any of the really major plot points.

They're handling Ygritte and Jon MUCH better in the show than in the book. While you don't get Jon's thoughts on constantly thinking about alerting the Night's Watch, there is a much stronger connection between them in the show than the book.

Ygritte's look of betrayed sadness last night > any of her book characterization.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
There are significant changes after the first season, though mostly storyline and character omissions and combinations. I don't think they've upended any of the really major plot points.

Yeah, this is what I feared. Sucks for people who only watch the show.

ultron87

Why did they change Jeyne Westerling to Talisa anyway? Seems like one of those random changes that doesn't really serve any purpose, it's not as if Jeyne said much anyway.

If they did the Jeyne story exactly it would've meant having to film another battle. They certainly could've just had her in the exact role that Talisa was in this. Maybe they just cast Oona and just didn't think she looked much like a Westerosi noble and thus made her foreign.

Added a little more drama for Robb, introduced some information about Volantis, and gave book readers something to wonder about.

duckroll

The entire Westerling plot was not convincing in the books, and it would be even less convincing on the show given how little time they have to waste of extra scenes that relationship would need. It's basically a detour which means nothing to Robb, but fucks everything up because he "felt bad". It feels off when you compare it to how Robb is depicted on the show. He's more of a handsome leader trying to be brave and respected, and I think it does make more sense that he falls in love with a nurse, rather than having pity sex with someone he doesn't care about, and then feeling bad about it because she was a virgin.

Rezbit

If they did the Jeyne story exactly it would've meant having to film another battle. They certainly could've just had her in the exact role that Talisa was in this. Maybe they just cast Oona and just didn't think she looked much like a Westerosi noble and thus made her foreign.

Yeah this could be true. But I mean the time they spend having Talisa explain could also be spent doing the same with Jeyne. It didn't really bug me that much, just one of those changes that made me scratch the head a bit.

So glad they didn't go with the Talisa spy crap. Knowing she had baby Ned inside her and knowing their love was real had more of an impact. Seeing her get stabbed in the stomach was brutal and I felt terrible despite the fact that I hate her.

TCRS

Banned
They're handling Ygritte and Jon MUCH better in the show than in the book. While you don't get Jon's thoughts on constantly thinking about alerting the Night's Watch, there is a much stronger connection between them in the show than the book.

Ygritte's look of betrayed sadness last night > any of her book characterization.

I felt the exact opposite. I think their story was written much better in the books. But that might due to me not liking show-Ygritte very much. She looks and sounds like a princess that spent too much time with wildlings and now thinks she is one of them instead of a proper wildling born and raised there. GRRM wrote her very differently, she constantly says things like "kissed by fire" "you know nothing", she was basically kind of dumb and naive because she was not educated. You don't get a sense of that at all in the show, show-ygritte is way too posh.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I felt the exact opposite. I think their story was written much better in the books. But that might due to me not liking show-Ygritte very much. She looks and sounds like a princess that spent too much time with wildlings and now thinks she is one of them instead of a proper wildling born and raised there. GRRM wrote her very differently, she constantly says things like "kissed by fire" "you know nothing", she was basically kind of dumb and naive because she was not educated. You don't get a sense of that at all in the show, show-ygritte is way too posh.

I like show Ygritte way more myself. I thought she was alright in the book, but I didn't feel all that attached to her. She was interesting for how she changed Jon and how he dealt with his feelings for her and his duty. But she herself never felt all that likable. While I really like her on the show. She comes across as the kind of girl you would fall for despite her being "the enemy". ASOS spoilers
Her death in the book had very little impact on me at all, I think it will affect me far more in the show.

Although I like book Sansa now, it took a very very long time. I started to like show Sansa earlier.

To steer this thread in a slightly different direction, what are some characters you feel that were actually improved in the show?

Grand Maester Pycelle is one of my favorites. He doesn't have much screen-time, but the actor does a tremendous job with the material he have. Absolutely love the way the show made him into a minor player. His little feud with Tyrion is especially amusing.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I like the reactions along the lines of "you don't know how to write a story!"

everyone loves it and they don't even realize it. The fact they care so much is exactly what many writers dream of and never achieve.

people are retarded.

I like show Ygritte way more myself. I thought she was alright in the book, but I didn't feel all that attached to her. She was interesting for how she changed Jon and how he dealt with his feelings for her and his duty. But she herself never felt all that likable. While I really like her on the show. She comes across as the kind of girl you would fall for despite her being "the enemy". ASOS spoilers
Her death in the book had very little impact on me at all, I think it will affect me far more in the show.

Although I like book Sansa now, it took a very very long time. I started to like show Sansa earlier.

I don't think Ygritte dying is supposed to be a huge impact or surprise. He doesn't beat around the bush when Magnars party gets to Castle Black. It's more about will Jon abandon the watch for her or not, and when he does jump on the horse and run you know she's dead if they attack the castle. Hell I assumed they just killed her before they even got there since she was with him

Blatz

I dunno, she doesn't come across as quite as manipulative but that could just be because we only see Cersei's paranoia about her in the books.

I think the showrunners expanded her story and character based on her strong acting. I think it was a good choice, regardless of what happens in the books.

On another note, it seems there is speculation that [ASOS and beyond]
Michelle Fairley is done with the show. So we really think they're cutting Lady Stoneheart out of the show? I'd be shocked.

Macmanus

The Borgias has better staged action scenes. HBO's own Rome as well from back in the day.

Rome is one of my favorite shows on HBO (first season at least.)

With that said only one scene from that entire show qualifies as good action. You know the scene I'm talking about because, like I said, it's the only one.

Someone in the non-book thread mentioned Yara in the episode 10 preview, ASOS/AFFC
think we will get Balon's death next episode? I think that will be the "hope" people should be looking for after the RW. Balon dying on-screen would push people to expect something to happen to Joffrey next season.

I think the showrunners expanded her story and character based on her strong acting. I think it was a good choice, regardless of what happens in the books.

Michelle Fairley is done with the show. So we really think they're cutting Lady Stoneheart out of the show? I'd be shocked.

Whats this speculation based off of?

iammeiam

ASOS and after
They wouldn't need her much or at all to really do Lady Stoneheart. At most, they'd need her for the resurrection scene. Then just a body double with a hooded cloak could work pretty well for most scenes until she meets up with Brienne again which is at least two years away.
Unless I'm forgetting something from the books, which is totally possible.

I like the reactions along the lines of "you don't know how to write a story!"

everyone loves it and they don't even realize it. The fact they care so much is exactly what many writers dream of and never achieve.

people are retarded.

I wouldn't go as far as calling them retarded but yeah, I agree. Same goes for reactions as to how shitty Martin and D&D are as writers or how the show and story is absolute shit. Their emotional investment and reaction to the show says otherwise. I mean, I'd understand if the dialogue, acting or writing was generally poor and the plots made no sense, but that's not the case. People are misplacing their anger at a fantastic plot event.

I'm surprised people aren't tired of stories with characters surviving because of plot-armour.

I suspect he thinks females hate fantasy and gore. Bizarre comment. I've met more female fans (of the books and show) than I have male.

jett

D-Member
I think this is the first time in the show's history that the non-book readers thread is moving faster than this one, hahaha.

BFIB

The show did a great job expanding on Theon's scenes, so I would imagine they could find a way to expand Lady Stoneheart.

traveler

Not Wario
Margaery Tyrell comes to mind.

Olenna Tyrell is pretty awesome in the show as well. I'm not sure she's better necessarilly, but the performance is stronger than how my imagination realized the Queen of Thorns in the books.

On the same thread, I like that they switched out the jester for Frey's wife. Yes, there's a kind of pathetic, desperate edge to Catelyn bargaining with the lowest of the low in terms of significance- the simple Jinglebell- but we get a much better view of Walder Frey's cruelty in exchange. I'll just have to find another has to be one of the better lines of the night.

Blatz

Whats this speculation based off of?

I think just the interviews that have been released today. They say how emotional the shoot was and how D&D couldn't get in touch with Michelle for a week or so. I don't believe it, personally. I'm hoping someone could squash the idea for me. Hopefully this Sunday they'll show "it" and clear it all up.

besada

Banned
I think the showrunners expanded her story and character based on her
0IP7MSK.png

strong acting.

traveler

Not Wario
I forget, but
where is Lord Bolton in the books during the Wedding

He is seated next to Catelyn at the beginning of the wedding. He makes some excuse to leave and then returns during the "scene". In the book, Catelyn realizes one of the other attendants has on armor and slaps them, but in the show Roose is left in the room for this moment and replaces that character, which then results in him leaving to bring the two in sync for the "send their regards" line.

Burt

For the people that didn't like this episode, can you talk about one you did like? I just don't see how you could hate last night (whether for acting, plot, book nitpicking, or whatever else) and gloss over those problems for the rest of the series. I mean, if you didn't like last night, you probably didn't like Blackwater either because they handled it differently and they couldn't get the scope down. And if you didn't like the Red Wedding or Blackwater, I just dont know how you like any of the show at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom