• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't they blend those two together for the show?

That's what I'm thinking. [ASoS]
They probably condensed everything into Yunkai. Meereen is still there, but I don't think Dany will be heading there. Plus, there's not enough room for it on the map during the opening titles. :p

CorvoSol

Man, knowing it's coming and not being able to turn away just . . . man.

Also Daario is so, so, so ugly. I can't decide if his arms are the wrong size or his forehead is just stupid tall.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I took a quick peek in the show thread to see what they had to say about the episode, but you guys need to cool it with the hinting and stuff. I know you're all excited to discuss it and all, but I feel like you guys are talking about the book way too much. They're not supposed to exist in that thread.

Not to twist the knife or anything (so to speak), but I am very glad to see that this indeed came as a shock to you non-book-readers.

I was afraid that the show was laying it on waaaaay too thick with the Robb/Talisa pregnancy bliss, and that it would clue you folks in to the carnage to come.

Please don't dump the show. There's plenty of good stuff to come.

(ASOS)
Tyrion, Arya, Bran and Sansa are still alive. And so is Dany. And so is Stannis. And so is Jon.
Pick and choose your poison but please stop acting like this episode killed everyone ever with a hint of good in them lol

Stuff like this hints at what's to come. It's not that innocent because we as book readers have an air of legitimacy stuck to our posts, so any kind of hinting about plot or characters unintentionally colors the future for show-only fans.

What if! ASOS
What if episode10 is the Royal Wedding. The preview showed Jaime in what looks like KingsLanding, placing him after the assassination. The preview also showed Yara in armor, hopefully in trying to regroup back to the IronIslands for the kingsmoot - implying that Balon is dead too, therein by fulfilling Melisandre's curse.

All the spoiler tags make reading this thread a chore, there is a thread for the illiterates so why can't we post normally?

It's annoying, yes, but some people haven't read all the books, and are playing catch-up. There's a thread specifically for us who've read all the books and want to discuss them, free of tags, but this is still a thread about the show.

AngryMoth

Just watched it. Very well executed, definitely one of the best eps in the series. I'm glad they didn't cop out and foreshadow it too heavily, it was actually a lot less foreshadowed than in the books right until the end when they close the doors. Very sadistic the way it was done.

On a side note, I am starting to get a little annoyed at the show potentially spoiling future book plot points, for example (general)
I now assume that the Jeyne Westerling/heir to the north storyline isn't going anywhere since they wouldn't have killed her without okaying it with GRRM

Amir0x

Banned
Stuff like this hints at what's to come. It's not that innocent because we as book readers have an air of legitimacy stuck to our posts, so any kind of hinting about plot or characters unintentionally colors the future for show-only fans.

what? I literally just listed the characters alive in the show because the guy is like "ONLY BAD GUYS TO ROOT FOR NOW." It doesn't even remotely hint one way or another at anything, and you'd have to force your brain through the most painful contrivance on Earth to pretend it does. I understand people are sensitive, but quote someone else's post for your point. I don't want any part of that bullshit.

An appropriate time to regurgitate this tune.
^Gottdamn that song always gets me

UNTgHc4.jpg

Oh Robb, rest in peace Young Wolf and King in The North. The Winds of Winter will be coming for your enemies

ASOIAF SPOILERS:
I wonder why the show didn't include Robb naming his successor in case something goes terribly wrong. Was it because it would make it too obvious? I'm not going to post the name that Robb Stark made a possible heir

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
what? I literally just listed the characters alive in the show because the guy is like "ONLY BAD GUYS TO ROOT FOR NOW." It doesn't even remotely hint one way or another at anything, and you'd have to force your brain through the most painful contrivance on Earth to pretend it does. I understand people are sensitive, but quote someone else's post for your point. I don't want any part of that bullshit.

ASOS
I know it's not a huge spoiler compared to other stuff that has been said in that thread, and I'm not trying to single you out or anything. I just quoted the first two posts that gave me this feeling.

At this point in the show, most people think Stannis is a giant dickhead with few redeemable qualities, aside from his sense of "duty" and "honor". He might as well be grouped into the "bad guy" pool of characters for a lot of people. It's what makes his appearance at the Wall that much more interesting.

Hinting about any character's future development gives impressions to show-watchers. Whom you decided to mention, as well as who you decided not to mention puts ideas into the sensitive types. Just mentioning names within the context of "rooting for characters" gives people impressions, especially since they know that you know what's going to happen in later seasons.

I know it's small, but some people are really sensitive to this kinda thing. I don't read The Walking Dead comics, and this kind of thing was always happening to me in the show thread.

giga

The other thread doesn't look safe anymore. I'm seeing people banned just for mentioning they read the books--not even spoiling anything.

CassSept

They probably condensed everything into Yunkai. Meereen is still there, but I don't think Dany will be heading there. Plus, there's not enough room for it on the map during the opening titles. :p

Didn't they blend those two together for the show?

[ADWD]
If they condense Yunkai and Meereen then freaking hell, what will they do with Dany's storyline? That would mean she would have to sit 2+ seasons on her ass with no progress at all. At least marching for Meereen and initial negotiations could fill half the season, what if they just leave her at Yunkai? Hizdahr zo Whatever hides her dragons and we get "Where are my Dragons 2: Electric Boogaloo"? Imagine another 10 episodes of Press X to Find Dragons.

Could someone point me where exactly in the episode do we actually see Blackfish get out of the wedding? I must have missed it, because I thought he had died during the massacre.

devilhawk

No. It will still be there. ASoS
They have to give her something to do.

What if! ASOS
What if episode10 is the Royal Wedding. The preview showed Jaime in what looks like KingsLanding, placing him after the assassination. The preview also showed Yara in armor, hopefully in trying to regroup back to the IronIslands for the kingsmoot - implying that Balon is dead too, therein by fulfilling Melisandre's curse.
No, it will be next season. ASoS
I think, unfortunately, the timing of Jamie's return will be altered. Unless they can find a way to stall him until Episode 3? next year. My guess is the PW for episode 2. I bet Yara/Asha is still in Deepwood Motte, but learns of her father's death.

Tevious

Game of Thrones reminds me of the show Survivor. You're always guessing who's going to be voted off next and sometimes there's big surprises.

I told a mate of mine to keep me updated as he's watching the episode. He just texted me: "Why did they start playing the Rains of Castamere?" followed up with "WHAT? NOOOOOOO"

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Trasher

that could just be seen as shipping to be honest. doesn't deserve a ban at all

although tbh i'm all about ADWD:
TeamPirateGreyjoyDaenerys

Not a ban, but perhaps an edit at least.

OP didn't put 'no spoilers' in the title, people should enter at their own risk.
Plus its only a spoiler if you believe theories, its not laid at specifically in any of the books.

That's quite debatable.

Trasher

I suppose, but most readers probably aren't going to put that together without some hinting and assistance from others.

I mean I dunno. That thread is specifically a show thread, and what the guy is referencing in there is a theory specific to something the books have potentially laid out for people who pay very close attention to the details throughout the series, and in the show these hints are non existing for the most part. I guess I can just foresee a lot of the show people in that thread becoming incredibly pissed off since most of them in the non-book reader thread are so hyper sensitive to those sorts of things.

Not a spoiler.

Really? So I can just go in the non-book thread and tell everyone who Jon's parents really are?

Conor 419

Banned
Pretty pissed off at the lack of presence of Northmen in the RW, no Dacey Mormont, Greatjon, Smalljon, Wendel Manderly was mostly off screen, no real sense that the Northern Houses all took heavy losses including Dustins, Ryswells, Cerwyns, Tallharts, Lockes, Flints, Glovers and all of the mountain clans...no real sense of how many people the Wedding is going to piss off.

Also, Grey Wind should have been freed, I don't see why he wasn't...

Trasher

Pretty pissed off at the lack of presence of Northmen in the RW, no Dacey Mormont, Greatjon, Smalljon, Wendel Manderly was mostly off screen, no real sense that the Northern Houses all took heavy losses including Dustins, Ryswells, Cerwyns, Tallharts, Glovers...no real sense of how many people the Wedding is going to piss off.

Yeah it would have been nice to see more of the houses represented, but it would have been pretty darn hard I think to establish them all right before/during the wedding. I'm still disappointed that the Greatjohn wasn't there.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the reason we didn't see more Grey Wind is because most of the CGI budget has gone to the dragons this season haha.

Conor 419

Banned
The Smalljon threw a fucking table over The King in the North to protect him, and the Greatjon required seven Freys to restrain him and he killed most of them, whilst drunk as fuck. Dacey Mormont smashed a flaggon and attacked Ryman fucking Frey with it.

Literally, the Stark army was so horribly misrepresented.

So.Pissed.Off.

Moff

the greatjogn was not seen since season 1, I think there was some problem with the actor? he would have been a great presence in many moments in season 2 and 3, a real pity.
the other houses though, nah. they would have had to introduce them long before the wedding and that would have been just too much. I dont think thats a problem.

NekoFever

Pretty pissed off at the lack of presence of Northmen in the RW, no Dacey Mormont, Greatjon, Smalljon, Wendel Manderly was mostly off screen, no real sense that the Northern Houses all took heavy losses including Dustins, Ryswells, Cerwyns, Tallharts, Lockes, Flints, Glovers and all of the mountain clans...no real sense of how many people the Wedding is going to piss off.

The preview for the next episode shows
the tents burning outside the Twins, so I don't think we've seen all of it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The few people actually complaining about this episode are utterly baffling to me.

This was a fantastic episode and the Red Wedding sequence was incredible by just about any measure (the critical response supports this). The complaints about this episode specifically are seriously nothing more than book purism.

The Smalljon threw a fucking table over The King in the North to protect him, and the Greatjon required seven Freys to restrain him and he killed most of them, whilst drunk as fuck. Dacey Mormont smashed a flaggon and attacked Ryman fucking Frey with it.

Literally, the Stark army was so horribly misrepresented.

So.Pissed.Off.

I do wish they at least had Talisa act like Dacey, in that she gets up to try and dance with someone only to be brusquely turned away, causing Cat to get up and realize the one guy had chainmail, then the crossbow bolts fly.

With respect to the preview: [ASoS]
How would they make Jaime back in King's Landing even work this early before Joffrey's wedding? Cause a HUGE part of that is the fact that Sansa would still be in King's Landing if that is the case. And then how would Brienne's arc in the future work? Seems weird.

Enosh

preview spoiler
from the preview seems like they are showing the complete aftermath and the complete destruction of the northern army next episode

the one thing I didn't like was the rather quick "lannisters send their regards" just one stab and a quick delivery
plus the guy coming into frame to kill cat was kinda funny

other than that loved it, happy to see that the whole Talisa is a spy turned out to be bullshit

NekoFever

I just watched the scene again.

The way they kill Cat is so brutal, such a kick in the teeth after what's already happened. You kind of think it's going to fade to black with the camera pushing in on her, when she's just utterly broken and there to be taken prisoner. Then a random (?) Frey comes up and slits her throat. Blood everywhere. The end.

I haven't actually seen the whole episode yet. First thing I did when I got up this morning was look up the end on YouTube.

Now that the Red Wedding is over I'm done with the "we hate people who read books" thread. They're not the biggest whiners on this forum but they try.

Ratrat

I'm kind of annoyed at all this "GRRM is a sadist/crusher of dreams" crap Internet nonsense. He's said himself that it was incredibly difficult to write and that he loved the characters. Asoiaf just happens to be crueler than his other books because the setting calls for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom