• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL so many mad book readers in here. Boohoo, Bish finally banning people was long overdue. It's simply impossible to join in any discussion there being a book reader, you simply cannot separate the 2 imo, i've tried. I've always maintained that the No Book Spoiler thread should prohibit book readers from posting, there is no point to, we have 3 or so threads for ourselves. Let them have their fun. I was a no book reader for the s1 and 2 threads, so I understand their frustrations no matter how innocent a post. And now having read them I recognize my inability as well to discuss the show without any book talk.

so right. it's good to finally see the axe fall on the assholes trying or not trying to wreck shit.

I think this is the first time in the show's history that the non-book readers thread is moving faster than this one, hahaha.
I thought this one was moving faster, but I just did a quick count. Since the episode started airing yesterday, there are ~1930 posts in the no spoilers version and ~1340 posts in this one. :O

BFIB

I thought this one was moving faster, but I just did a quick count. Since the episode started airing yesterday, there are ~1930 posts in the no spoilers version and ~1340 posts in this one. :O

I think once word of mouth gets out about this event, its going to bring in a lot of new fans to the show.

Reminds me of the "Run" incident in Breaking Bad.

not a book reader but i've heard several times that the series peaks right about were we are now and it's all downhill from here. any truth to that? i wanted to start the books but crawling through 3 books where i already know what happens only to have 2 'boring' books left would make me a sad panda.

Einbroch

Banned
Well thats because 600 posts are "book people are losers that masturbate to us non readers not knowing what happens next."

jett

D-Member
A non-reader friend is watching the episode right now.

survivor-smile.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
A non-reader friend is watching the episode right now.

survivor-smile.gif

Yeah, that gif's ultimate purpose is for this exact scenario. It has reached it's full potential.

TCRS

Banned
not a book reader but i've heard several times that the series peaks right about were we are now and it's all downhill from here. any truth to that? i wanted to start the books but crawling through 3 books where i already know what happens only to have 2 'boring' books left would make me a sad panda.

We're not done with book three yet. There is 1/3 still left so I wouldn't start reading the next book until you've finished season 4 next year or something. Generally I would recommend to still read all books as they contain way more details that make the red wedding even more powerful.

The other two books are slower but not boring.

Macmanus

not a book reader but i've heard several times that the series peaks right about were we are now and it's all downhill from here. any truth to that?

AFFC and ADWD are good books. This series is good. If you're just looking for fantasy action then I guess you might be bored. If you're looking to read something worth reading than just read the damned books.

ultron87

That isn't true. The second half of Book Three post Red Wedding, which will be next season, is just constantly full of amazing scenes. The later books do slow things down a bit, but not in a bad way.

The Smalljon threw a fucking table over The King in the North to protect him, and the Greatjon required seven Freys to restrain him and he killed most of them, whilst drunk as fuck. Dacey Mormont smashed a flaggon and attacked Ryman fucking Frey with it.

Literally, the Stark army was so horribly misrepresented.

So.Pissed.Off.

God, I remember reading that and thinking how badass they at least went and died. The RW on screen was definitely not on par with the book segment. No idea why they made it so.

Zios

Banned

Next season will still be fun with surprises. However books 4 and 5 adaptation could prove to be challenging. Looking at how they currently adapt the books, it could get boring and I predict a hefty viewer drop. Unless you like nothing but talking and people describing their day.

duckroll

God, I remember reading that and thinking how badass they at least went and died. The RW on screen was definitely not on par with the book segment. No idea why they made it so.

What's the point of making their final stand BADASS when none of them have been badass in the entire show? My impression of the Stark army on the show is a bunch of self-justified northerners sticking together out of tradition and culture, with no real sense of how to fight a war, lots of old men out of practice, and way past their prime, led by a young king who tries his best to retain their loyalty and respect while putting up a brave front. Nothing badass about the army on the show. They died appropriately imo.

To steer this thread in a slightly different direction, what are some characters you feel that were actually improved in the show? Catelyn for sure. I searched for an old post of mine when I finished reading ASOS and was surprised to remember how much i disliked her. :p I actually liked her a great deal in the show, Michelle Fairley really hit it out of the park and made the character her own. King Robert in S1 is another one, he was almost a non-entity in the book.

Catelyn
Robb
Bronn
Joffrey
Syrio
Arya
Tywin
Jamie
Cersei
Tyrion
Robert
Beric
Hot Pie
Hodor
Stannis
Onion Knight
Theon
Jorah + Selmy

Pretty much everyone in the show I like better than the books. Even the ones that weren't changed much I like better because of the acting quality. Everyone else is pretty much on the same level, the only ones I like less are smaller characters or Littlefinger(only because of his cheesy speech about climbing, before that I liked him way more). I hate Dany in both. The only think I think is a detriment to the show in general are the fight scenes other than the Hound vs Beric. And maybe some weird things in season two.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Next season will still be fun with surprises. However books 4 and 5 adaptation could prove to be challenging. Looking at how they currently adapt the books, it could get boring and I predict a hefty viewer. Unless you like nothing but talking and people describing their day.

Books 4 and 5 will almost certainly be intermingled for seasons 5+6, so I think that will help out the pacing and help even out the less-actiony parts with the more intense.

ASOS:
I feel like they have to resurrect Cat this season. On the wiki it says they find her 3 days after the wedding. Plus resurrection has been a huge theme this season. Would be a great ending/cliffhanger.

Anoregon

ASOS:
I feel like they have to resurrect Cat this season. On the wiki it says they find her 3 days after the wedding. Plus resurrection has been a huge theme this season. Would be a great ending/cliffhanger.

Yeah, I will be very surprised if it's not the final scene of next week.

Dany

Banned
I think the people that should seek help are those that claim to be sobbing and crying like school children. Some girl says she cried in the bathroom for 20 minutes. lol to that.

How can you be completely ignorant that for many viewers, this is the most shocking thing they've seen? Get off your high horse.

Hindle

Banned
There are several touching scenes in the book that are ignored in the series. Jaimes words to Brienne after rescuing her from the bear come to mind. Minor details but they still make the characters better.

I really think they've toned Jamie down as well, he's way more of an asshole with Brienne then he is in the show.

Edit. This is in answer to the question about characters being better in the books or series.

There are several touching scenes in the book that are ignored in the series. Jaimes words to Brienne after rescuing her from the bear come to mind. Minor details but they still make the characters better.

I really think they've toned Jamie down as well, he's way more of an asshole with Brienne then he is in the show.

Not really. He was an insufferable cunt to her for a while, and his turn-around with her followed a similar arc as to the one in the book. Minor ASOS? AFFC?
I can't wait for later, though, when he starts noticing her pretty eyes. That shit is going to be hot.

What's the point of making their final stand BADASS when none of them have been badass in the entire show? My impression of the Stark army on the show is a bunch of self-justified northerners sticking together out of tradition and culture, with no real sense of how to fight a war, lots of old men out of practice, and way past their prime, led by a young king who tries his best to retain their loyalty and respect while putting up a brave front. Nothing badass about the army on the show. They died appropriately imo.

Seemed to me they could have at least went with GreatJon, a very loyal North Lord that was well introduced in the first season, and made him die in colors while killing a few and protecting the king they had grown fond of and vowed to protect. That or just replace him with Blackfish and to hell with;

[AFFC]
him retaining Riverun to no avail after Robb's death, and just running away(well, swimming) once again.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Next season will still be fun with surprises. However books 4 and 5 adaptation could prove to be challenging. Looking at how they currently adapt the books, it could get boring and I predict a hefty viewer drop. Unless you like nothing but talking and people describing their day.

There are "big moments" in the next books that will get people talking past ASOS. For example, (AFFC/ADWD)
Cersei getting arrested and her walk of penance to name one
. It might be a little slower than ASOS, but I'm sure D&D are aware of what they have to do to sustain their momentum.

marrec

Banned

When I first read through the books I was in such denial at the events taking place. I was CONVINCED the Greatjon would be able to just superman his way around the room and save the day. He was such a formidable figure throughout the vicarious descriptions of his exploits that I had some small hope that he'd escape and/or kill everyone.

To steer this thread in a slightly different direction, what are some characters you feel that were actually improved in the show?

Definitely Thoros. He was just a really bland throwaway in the books who was there to fulfill his plot obligation and nothing more. But consolidating him with a couple of other BWB characters from the book and turning him into the "charming drunken rogue" greatly improved him.

So with Talisa's
death
, what does that mean for Jeyne after book [spoiler+5[/spoiler]?

[ASOIAF]
I can't see her doing anything major. As far as we know, she's not pregnant with Robb's child, and the Lannisters just kind of let her and her family go. Even with Talisa's death, I never saw her as an essential character, just a mechanism in order to allow the Red Wedding to happen.

BFIB

Ned was probably the most "badass" out of the Starks. Once he was out of the way, the rest were over their head, and just caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

MBison

[ASOS]
i still am surprised that the show runners aren't going to palette cleanse a little given how brutal that was, I mean by ending with Joffrey dying. I guess ending with Stoneheart is a little but not as much as the former. Why do you think that is being pushed to next season? It happens pretty close after RW, they'd basically have to open the season with it to keep in line with book 3.

dubq

The Smalljon threw a fucking table over The King in the North to protect him, and the Greatjon required seven Freys to restrain him and he killed most of them, whilst drunk as fuck. Dacey Mormont smashed a flaggon and attacked Ryman fucking Frey with it.

Literally, the Stark army was so horribly misrepresented.

So.Pissed.Off.

Greatjon hasn't been on cast since Season 1. Clive Mantle was cast in another show and could not come back for Season 2. After that, Season 3 had already begun production by the time he was free. Hence the reason for the expanded role of the Blackfish.

dubq

I do wish they at least had Talisa act like Dacey, in that she gets up to try and dance with someone only to be brusquely turned away, causing Cat to get up and realize the one guy had chainmail, then the crossbow bolts fly.

I actually really liked this chainmail reveal in the show a lot. Not saying it was better than the book reveal.. but Roose pretty much saying "take a look" with his eyes to Cat was awesomely chilling.

Wow. As far as I'm concerned, GoT is officially HBO's magnum opus.

Still Deadwood for me, but GoT is obviously fantastic and is easily the bigger social phenomenon.

It's funny to me that people are so upset with HBO this morning over the RW. I'm still upset to this day over their premature cancelling of Deadwood and Rome. That's what they should be eating shit for.

LuchaShaq

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";60967097]Catelyn
Robb
o.[/QUOTE]

Really?

In the books I had sympathy for Robb. He was injured and thought both of his brothers were dead, that's why he fucked/married Jeyne. In the show he is just a dumbass horny fool.

Same for Cat.

In the books she thought her two little boys were dead and was desperate to get the girls back by freeing Jaime. In the show she had no idea about Bran/Rickon yet.

The show versions of these two characters are much much less sympathetic and less intelligent.

Speevy

Banned
I'll say this again.

These Northmen mean nothing to show watchers.

What good would random bearded guy desperately failing to protect Robb do the show?

Robb was prepared to fight and die on the battlefield. The whole season was about Tywin making that impossible for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom