• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
[ASOS]
i still am surprised that the show runners aren't going to palette cleanse a little given how brutal that was, I mean by ending with Joffrey dying. I guess ending with Stoneheart is a little but not as much as the former. Why do you think that is being pushed to next season? It happens pretty close after RW, they'd basically have to open the season with it to keep in line with book 3.

[ASOS]
I imagine Joff's wedding will happen around episode four of season 4. They'll end next season with Jon becoming Lord Commander, Arya going to Braavos, Sansa escaping to the Eyrie, and Tyrion killing Tywin. Joff's wedding would be happening WAY too soon after the RW if they did it for the season finale next week. I understand it happens soon if we're going by the books, but doing it right after would leave them with little "WTF" material for next season. They've gotta spread it out.

dubq

[ASOS]
I imagine Joff's wedding will happen around episode four of season 4. They'll end next season with Jon becoming Lord Commander, Arya going to Braavos, Sansa escaping to the Eyrie, and Tyrion killing Tywin. Joff's wedding would be happening WAY too soon after the RW if they did it for the season finale next week. I understand it happens soon if we're going by the books, but doing it right after would leave them with little "WTF" material for next season. They've gotta spread it out.

ASOS
I'm also guessing we're getting the "announcement" of the Balon Greyjoy off-screen death in the finale going by the singular appearance of Yara in the trailer.

MBison

[ASOS]

ASOS
sounds plausible but that's also stretching 400ish pages into 10 episodes.

f0rk

ASOS
I'm also guessing we're getting the "announcement" of the Balon Greyjoy off-screen death in the finale going by the singular appearance of Yara in the trailer.

That would be a pretty good cold open for next season.

I'm not one to gloat at a specific banning (and I hope it's not coming off like that now), but holy shit at one of Conor's posts in the non book reader thread. Just like a giant info dump from the books that no one really asked for.

[ASOS]
ASOS
I think Arys might head to Bravos in next week's episode. It looks like they go to the inn in the finale, based on the preview

I'll say this again.

These Northmen mean nothing to show watchers.

What good would random bearded guy desperately failing to protect Robb do the show?

Robb was prepared to fight and die on the battlefield. The whole season was about Tywin making that impossible for him.

Robb was a King to Northerners, what's so bad in wanting to see Northmen showing their dedication to their king by giving their lifes for him on screen by trying to protect him?

It could have been random beards like you say and it still would have been better than that.

ASOS

I'd imagine so, yeah. The only thing I'm worried about with the Greyjoys is [ASOS/AFFC/ADWD]
the producers essentially creating filler arcs for them. The Kingsmoot isn't until book 4/season 5 and Theon doesn't do shit until book 5. It'd be terrible if they did his Reek stuff before it's time. It'd leave him with nothing to do when the time actually came.

ASOS
sounds plausible but that's also stretching 400ish pages into 10 episodes.

[ASOS]
They've done it with every season so far; this season was the first half (roughly 400 pages or so), and previous seasons covered the entire book (900+ pages). If anything they'll do Joff's wedding very early next year, so that they have time to properly do the trial and Sansa's business at the Eyrie.

EDIT:

ASOS
I think Arys might head to Bravos in next week's episode. It looks like they go to the inn in the finale, based on the preview

[ASOS]
I hope not. I mean, it's possible, but what is she going to do for the entire next season if she heads to Braavos so soon? Will they have her adventures on the ship be the focus for her arc?

BFIB

My guess for the finale:

The fallout from the RW. The Stark banners being burned, the rest of the army being massacred. Edmure returns to see the massacre completed. Blackfish survives, and flees.

Dany overtakes Yunkai but learns of Jorah's betrayal. He is then banished from her Queensguard.

Jon arrives at the Wall, and the final scene for him will be hearing Rayder's army approaching.

Balon Greyjoy will die, leading Yara (ugh, I hate that name) to stake her claim and lead the Greyjoy army.

Theon's torturer will be revealed by having Roose Bolton appear.

I'm sure we'll see some scene of Arya seeing Catelyn in the water. I still think they hold out on Lady Stoneheart until the end of season 4.

jet1911

Just watched the episode. Holy crap. What got me was the sheer brutality of it all, slit throats everywhere, knife to the fucking gut etc. I guess it's kinda based on the reality of this kind of period in our own history. Complete disreguard for human lifes. Fucking chilling.

Really?

In the books I had sympathy for Robb. He was injured and thought both of his brothers were dead, that's why he fucked/married Jeyne. In the show he is just a dumbass horny fool.

Same for Cat.

In the books she thought her two little boys were dead and was desperate to get the girls back by freeing Jaime. In the show she had no idea about Bran/Rickon yet.

The show versions of these two characters are much much less sympathetic and less intelligent.

I thought the kids thing made more sense, but overall the two characters were really uninteresting to me in the books and the acting quality and increased focus made them more likable in the show.

Jayof9s

I'd imagine so, yeah. The only thing I'm worried about with the Greyjoys is [ASOS/AFFC/ADWD]
the producers essentially creating filler arcs for them. The Kingsmoot isn't until book 4/season 5 and Theon doesn't do shit until book 5. It'd be terrible if they did his Reek stuff before it's time. It'd leave him with nothing to do when the time actually came.

I'm guessing we'll see a decent bit of AFFC/ADWD stuff in Season 4 simply because they've covered more than half of ASOS in Season 3. There's still a lot to go but I think they'd be spread thin if Season 4 was just the remaining ASOS stuff (and they'd be excluding quite a few characters that I don't recall doing much else for a while).

It also helps that most of ADWD happened concurrent with AFFC so just because we don't see a character until ADWD doesn't mean they can't have a role to play in Seasons 4 / 5.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the events in AFFC/ADWD occurring in chronological order. The geographical split was just an awful idea. I started reading after all 5 current books had been released and even without having to deal with a 6 year gap between books it was really jarring to read those two because of the strange way the chapters were split.

FStop7

Banned
I'm not one to gloat at a specific banning (and I hope it's not coming off like that now), but holy shit at one of Conor's posts in the non book reader thread. Just like a giant info dump from the books that no one really asked for.

He's been shitting up the non-book thread forever while passive aggressively bragging about it in the book thread.

FStop7

Banned
The Arya fakeout is so dumb and it set the precedent for one of GRRM's worst habits. (Could be considered implied series spoilers and definite DwD spoilers)
Major characters are never killed dead in an ambiguous way. Whenever GRRM wants a big character dead, it is explicit. All the stupid fakeouts in Dance with Tyrion and the reported death of Davos were the same way. Absolutely kills the tension the series built up with events like Ned's beheading and the Red Wedding. We'll have to see if Jon breaks or maintains the trend.
I assume he just inherited this from his tv background?

Don't forget about

ASOS / ADWD

Brienne and possibly Jon as well.

I'm guessing we'll see a decent bit of AFFC/ADWD stuff in Season 4 simply because they've covered more than half of ASOS in Season 3. There's still a lot to go but I think they'd be spread thin if Season 4 was just the remaining ASOS stuff (and they'd be excluding quite a few characters that I don't recall doing much else for a while).

It also helps that most of ADWD happened concurrent with AFFC so just because we don't see a character until ADWD doesn't mean they can't have a role to play in Seasons 4 / 5.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the events in AFFC/ADWD occurring in chronological order. The geographical split was just an awful idea. I started reading after all 5 current books had been released and even without having to deal with a 6 year gap between books it was really jarring to read those two because of the strange way the chapters were split.

Yeah, that's true. I have faith that they won't completely fuck it up, but after seeing Theon's business this season it still continues to worry me a little.

Valravn

Rewatched the Red Wedding scene and

Book spoilers
Michelle Fairley can definitely play a very menacing Lady Stoneheart. That look on her face when she threatened to kill Walder Frey's wife. Btw that Frey girl Robb was supposed to marry was hella cute.

My guess for the finale:

Jon arrives at the Wall, and the final scene for him will be hearing Rayder's army approaching.
ASOS
That would mean the battle on the South side of the wall happens next episode, including Ygritte's death. I don't think either of those things happens this season, given the timing.

Fey

Banned
My guess for the finale:

The fallout from the RW. The Stark banners being burned, the rest of the army being massacred. Edmure returns to see the massacre completed. Blackfish survives, and flees.

Dany overtakes Yunkai but learns of Jorah's betrayal. He is then banished from her Queensguard.

Balon Greyjoy will die, leading Yara (ugh, I hate that name) to stake her claim and lead the Greyjoy army.

Theon's torturer will be revealed by having Roose Bolton appear.

I'm sure we'll see some scene of Arya seeing Catelyn in the water. I still think they hold out on Lady Stoneheart until the end of season 4.

Don't forget ASOS/episode 10 spec
we'll probably be seeing the reactions from the characters in King's Landing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He's been shitting up the non-book thread forever while passive aggressively bragging about it in the book thread.

He's been getting away spoiling the non-book thread for months.

FStop7

Banned
I think I understand now Talisa's purpose on the show. She pretty much existed as a mechanism to still provide a shock to people who knew about the Red Wedding. I literally recoiled when she was stabbed and felt very disturbed by her death, much like how I was very disturbed by the description of Catelyn's death in the book.

series... not really spoilers, but just in case

It does create an interesting situation, though - she wasn't unwitting bait provided by a family that was aligned with the Lannisters. She was highborn from a house across the sea. When they learn their pregnant daughter was brutally murdered by the lackeys of House Lannister, they're gonna be pissed. That situation doesn't exist in the books, so how does it get reconciled?

Valravn

I actually had The Black Knight's lines from Monty Python in my head when Talisa got stabbed.
'Tis but a scratch! Have at you!

Yeah terrible, i know.

Majmun

Vengeance will be glorious.

[ASOS]
That's why I think that ending this season with Lady Stoneheart would be a great idea. People will probably go apeshit and look forward to zombie Cat slaughtering the Walder's, Bolton's and Lannister's next season. Would be a great cliffhanger

traveler

Not Wario

I'm not really sure what his previous posts were like or what the specific bit of information was that got him banned but, straight from that thread:

Victory Red said:
Okay, help me out here. I dont know the logistics and alliances of everyone.

Is there any chance that someone (maybe the guy who went to take a piss) can stand up and take over and lead any other houses that had alliance with the Stark's and can fight in their name?

Or is this the end of the Starks and their friends and lets just focus on Dany, Lannisters, Wildlings, and Stannis?

As things stand, I'm not really sure how the show will deal with it.

Without going further than this point in the books, at this point in time, all of the houses that remained south with Robb (as Karstarks went home and the Reeds were told to guard the neck) are...

Large Houses

- Manderlys (Led by Wyman Manderly, v. loyal to Starks and is currently head of White Harbor, the biggest city in the North, building a navy).
- Glovers (Led by Galbert Glover, v. loyal to Starks and led northern vanguard in S2)
- Mormonts (Jorah's family, very loyal to Starks, led by Maege Mormont seen in S2)
- Boltons (Traitors)
- Karstarks (Went Home)
- Reeds (Guarding the Neck)
- Umbers (Led by Greatjon, very loyal to Starks after losing fingers in S2)

Medium to Small Houses

- Tallharts
- Lockes
- Hornwoods
- Cerwyns
- Norreys
- Wulls
- Flints
- Norreys
- Rest of the mountain clains.

and then obv as the Starks united with the Tullys, who have

Large Houses

- Frey (Traitors)
- Mallister
- Blackwood
- Bracken

Medium to Small Houses

- Pipers
- Mootons
- Darrys
- Rygers
- Vances

all had casualties at the Red Wedding. However it's unfortunate as the TV show seems to imply that the Northern army is composed of a few random Stark men led by Robb, a few random Tullys (including the Blackfish) led by Edmure, Santa (who somehow had half of the Northern army....) and Roose Bolton.

It sucks a lot, because they at least had the Greatjon Umber, Mage Mormont, Galbart Glover and Tytos Blackwood, however for godknows what reason all of these have dissapeared. We DID see Wendel Manderly at the Red Wedding, but why the fuck they put him there has yet to be seen.

http://i.imgur.com/IwUu1U6.jpg

So yes, it's possible a Northern leader will rally them.

Not sure where you got the "no one asked for it" bit- a non book reader DIRECTLY asks for an explanation of all the houses and alliances, and he obliged. He does go a bit further with an explanation of the northmen that were given the short shrift by the show and I guess some paranoid watchers could read into a book reader being concerned because these characters might do something of importance later? I dunno.

Fey

Banned
I'm going through the non-book readers thread right now to see their reactions and SERIES/WOW/DOS
I just want to tell them how the last book was originally called Rise of Wolves/Time For Wolves. ;_____; They're coming back, baby, don't worry

Burt

That was uncomfortable to watch. Even got shivers when the band started playing Rains of Castemere.
Yeah, that and Roose's "That's right Cat, you are so fucked look" were amazing in the most terrible way. I obviously don't like the Roose Bolton character, but god damn, that actor nails it. He and Tywin both have that type of role down so well.
I'm going through the non-book readers thread right now to see their reactions and SERIES/WOW/DOS
I just want to tell them how the last book was originally called Rise of Wolves/Time For Wolves. ;_____; They're coming back, baby, don't worry
Maybe, but I wouldn't put money on it just yet. Like I said before, GRRM's entire style is letting you see how things could work out perfectly then tearing it all down. I'm hoping he does that so that it makes a positive ending (as positive as an ending in an extended Westerosi winter can be) that much stronger and more fulfilling. But, you never know with this guy. I still don't see a happy ending for Bran or Sansa, and maybe not even Arya.

Hindle

Banned
I can't wait for them to show
Lady Stoneheart
getting her revenge. They can make that sub plot way more awesome in the series then it is in the books.

Not sure where you got the "no one asked for it" bit- a non book reader DIRECTLY asks for an explanation of all the houses and alliances, and he obliged. He does go a bit further with an explanation of the northmen that were given the short shrift by the show and I guess some paranoid watchers could read into a book reader being concerned because these characters might do something of importance later? I dunno.

That's what PMs are for. But I get the feeling the attention of a PM isn't enough for some people.

ShaneB

[ASOS]
That's why I think that ending this season with Lady Stoneheart would be a great idea. People will probably go apeshit and look forward to zombie Cat slaughtering the Walder's, Bolton's and Lannister's next season. Would be a great cliffhanger

Yeah, I think this would be the best way to end this season as well. You've got the extreme low of the RW being followed up by some redemption to end the season.

Hellcrow

Atleast they where smart enough not to put Arya's fate in question like the book. I flipped forward looking for the next Arya chapter just to make sure.

Burt

Yeah, I think this would be the best way to end this season as well. You've got the extreme low of the RW being followed up by some redemption to end the season.
I think it's much more likely that we get a dramatic and uncertain cliffhanger-esque ending, like how it ended with Sam and the Walker last season. Can't see them even bothering to fail at bringing the show back to a positive tone after last night.

Edit: ah, well I read through the post you quoted again, and I guess it's a matter of perspective. I agree that that's going to happen, butI really can't consider it as anything near redemption. Book 4
Plus, she doesn't really do that much until she runs into Brienne, so it would just be kind of superfluous. I think it would be much better if they just talked about Stoneheart slaughtering Freys (similar to what they did with a lot of the Mountain in this season, I guess ) and held the physical reveal off until she and Brienne crossed paths. Hanging one Walder is fine, but having her absent for however long while hearing about Stoneheart then revealing her as the BoB told Brienne who she was would be so much crazier.

[ASOS]

It really should happen like that. [ASoS]
Plus, it really wouldn't make sense to move it to the end of Season 4, unless they want to spend hours giving Catelyn a 'zombie' makeup every time. Maybe have her be resurrected at the end of Season 3, hearing about her in the background during season 4, and then finally seeing her face again in the finale.

[ASOS]

I completely agree. Would be awesome to see my non book-reading friends go ballistic LOL

LProtag

Just spent all morning reading all the fallout from the episode on the internet.

I think they did a fantastic job, but I'm not sure if episode 10 is going to have much to follow up with.

TCRS

Banned
Damn I'm feeling sorry for people who haven't read the books or haven't reached that part yet, they are sure to be spoiled. When it was only known to book readers it was relatively contained, now it's everywhere on blogs, facebook, twitter, tumblr, news etc.

Massa

I'm not really sure what his previous posts were like or what the specific bit of information was that got him banned but, straight from that thread:

That guy already posed as a non-book reader posting "speculation" in the other thread. He should have been perma'ed long ago.

Fey

Banned
Damn I'm feeling sorry for people who haven't read the books or haven't reached that part yet, they are sure to be spoiled. When it was only known to book readers it was relatively contained, now it's everywhere on blogs, facebook, twitter, tumblr, news etc.

Yup, some of my non-reading friends are planning to watch it when they come back from work today, and I'm like, "AVOID EVERYTHING." One of them said he was watching the news this morning and they were talking about last night's episode and the reactions and he quickly changed the channel. It's everywhere.

iammeiam

Just spent all morning reading all the fallout from the episode on the internet.

I think they did a fantastic job, but I'm not sure if episode 10 is going to have much to follow up with.

I'm pretty sure the entire episode could just be twisting the knife and be pretty successful. I'm pretty sure just a scene or two of Joffrey taunting Sansa, for example, would fill Twitter wih an unending torrent of hate. The preview also makes it look like we see
the destruction of the Northern army

Radec

just saw the last episode..

jesus..

what in the world of fuck.

will the show gets more interesting now the
starks are gone? :(

BFIB

After seeing the blatant trolling from a select few in the non-book thread, and just the "I know more than you!" attitude from some, having
the purple wedding
in season 4 is going to be a long, long 9 month hiatus of that thread being mucked up.

Hopefully there's some specific ground rules laid in place in regards to posting there. But I'm fully expecting someone to spoil the big events. As sad as it is, some just can't help themselves.

-griffy-

Banned
Robb was a King to Northerners, what's so bad in wanting to see Northmen showing their dedication to their king by giving their lifes for him on screen by trying to protect him?

It could have been random beards like you say and it still would have been better than that.
The way they presented it in the show though was that pretty much everyone in the hall got massacred at the same time. No one had time to protect anyone because they had a sword to their throat or a crossbow bolt in their chest. It was different from the books but perfectly effective in the show.

We didn't need to see a small, extended "fight" scene. They went for maximum shock factor by having it happen so suddenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom