• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malalaw

Still can't get over how well done the red wedding was. Knowing what happened all I could do was sit and wait, man I was tense. Next week should be interesting.

Eidan

After seeing the blatant trolling from a select few in the non-book thread, and just the "I know more than you!" attitude from some, having
the purple wedding
in season 4 is going to be a long, long 9 month hiatus of that thread being mucked up.

Hopefully there's some specific ground rules laid in place in regards to posting there. But I'm fully expecting someone to spoil the big events. As sad as it is, some just can't help themselves.

I hope they continue to drop the hammer in the non-book thread. That Conor guy especially had it coming.

I've seen quite a few 'I'm done with the show' reactions on the net, do you think they'll change some things next season to get at least some more justice for the Starks to appease viewers?

ASOS
Like at the purple wedding, since Joffrey's death is so unsatisfying, Sansa could be the one who poisons him and she could look him and Cersei in the eyes while he's dying in her arms and say 'The north remembers.' and then disappear in the chaos. That change would make a long awaited death less lame and disappointing on screen. Or make Stoneheart appear earlier and get started on same Frey mass-hangings.

I've seen quite a few 'I'm done with the show' reactions on the net, do you think they'll change some things next season to get at least some more justice for the Starks to appease viewers?

ASOS
Like at the purple wedding, since Joffrey's death is so unsatisfying, Sansa could be the one who poisons him and she could look him and Cersei in the eyes while he's dying in her arms and say 'The north remembers.' and then disappear in the chaos. That change would make a long awaited death less lame and disappointing on screen. Or make Stoneheart appear earlier and get started on same Frey mass-hangings.

ASOS
No. That would go against her character as conceived at this point in time.

Ithil

No one who says "they're done" will actually be done. They'll tune in "one more time" or something next week, then Season 4 will roll around and they'll be back to normal viewing.

ASOS

That would just be really cheesy, and out of place. Never mind that
The whole point of Joffrey's death was that while it well deserved, it was still awful to watch and a terrible way to die. It messes with the cathartic factor, but that was intentional.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

ASOS

(Series)
Sansa being a bad ass? HAHAHAHA good one.

Obscured

Just finished watching the last episode. I knew it was coming, but damn.

It was rough in the book and I thought I would be ready for it, but that was vicious. I'm glad Robb got a bit more in the show as it gave it more of an impact and I kept hoping all episode that Talisa was going to be sent away before the end, that was terrible (in a good way). Glad to see they can still surprise me. Now trying to catch up on the reactions. You just want horrible things to happen to Frey and Bolton now.

I'm kind of loving the interaction between Arya and the Hound too.

Fey

Banned

You have to remember that many book readers were "done" with the book after reading the RW chapter. People will learn to accept that Robb/Cat/Talisa are dead, and will move on.

Speevy

Banned
I don't know what they were thinking with the "Lannisters send their regards" line, but Roose just jumps up to Robb, and then hops off in the other direction. He's like a child pretending to be invisible and scaring his parents.

Akim

Banned
After watching last nights episode I don't know if I can wait for the next season. Anyone listened to the audio book? How is it? I have a 2 hour commute every day that I'd like to fill.

TCRS

Banned
I don't know what they were thinking with the "Lannisters send their regards" line, but Roose just jumps up to Robb, and then hops off in the other direction. He's like a child pretending to be invisible and scaring his parents.

Yeah that's one thing I found a bit irritating, him running around like that. Seemed out of character.

TheLight

Ending with Stoneheart is a must to me. She is just an embodiment of the starks suffering, maltreatment, and wrath and that would be powerful to see her after this. I think would be great to show it the episode after the red wedding.

I love the actor playing Roose. His delivery is awesome. I like him a lot better than the book Roose, who supposedly is very meek in his speech, almost to the point of not being able to hear him.

dubq

They were thinking that Jaime is already making a babyface turn, so why muddy those waters further?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Ending with Stoneheart is a must to me. She is just an embodiment of the starks suffering, maltreatment, and wrath and that would be powerful to see her after this. I think would be great to show it the episode after the red wedding.

(ASOS)
Since they tend to follow things in chronological order (and not have flashbacks), if they really wanted to keep the big reveal, they' could just show the Brotherhood coming up across her body and leave it at that. Otherwise, we'll see her rise in the next ep or the beginning of Season 4.

Speevy

Banned
I love the actor playing Roose. His delivery is awesome. I like him a lot better than the book Roose, who supposedly is very meek in his speech, almost to the point of not being able to hear him.

He's incredible. I just think that for all its notoriety, that line was poorly handled.

I thought it was supposed to be something like Robb expecting Roose's help or an embrace, and he just stabs him, calmly whispering "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." without much emotion.

He seemed like he hated him in the scene they shot.

You have to remember that many book readers were "done" with the book after reading the RW chapter. People will learn to accept that Robb/Cat/Talisa are dead, and will move on.

I was too. And I certainly stopped caring about the story quite a bit because all the bad shit happening to good guys has become so predictable at this point that it will only be surprising if something good happens. At least to me. I don't think any betrayal in this series can surprise me anymore, its been overdone. That's why the sack of Astapor is my favourite scene, such an unique epic 'fuck yeah' moment of the villains getting exactly what they deserve in a satisfying way without a single casualty on the good side.

Yeah, throat slashing sure is hilarious.

I really was, it looked so fake it killed the scene for me. I don't understand how they get this small detail so fake looking when the dragons look so amazing.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, throat slashing sure is hilarious.

The way GoT does it is kinda funny, like darkly comedic.

I mean come on, you didn't laugh at this?

tumblr_m4pyt2wSaS1rw7ny8o1_500.gif

NG28

Could Jon be named Commander of the Nights Watch next episode? I don't recall when it happens in the book

dubq

The way GoT does it is kinda funny, like darkly comedic.

I mean come on, you didn't laugh at this?

Why would I laugh at that? I believe my reaction was "OH DAMN!" I'm not some prude when it comes to gore (far from it). But I do know the difference between comedy and violence. Maybe this is an generational thing to be so desensitized to violence that you feel compelled to laugh about it as a defense mechanism?

Actually the CGI on Catelyn's throat was pretty distracting.

I'll agree with that. The lighting was way off. Hopefully fixed for blu-ray.

Burt

I couldn't pick the book up for three days after reading that chapter. Everyone comes back though. You just can't come this far and give up on the series.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Could Jon be named Commander of the Nights Watch next episode? I don't recall when it happens in the book

ASOS
Its the last thing that occurs in the Night's Watch storyline. No way it would happen since it involves some political maneuverings from Sam, Stannis and Jon and Stannis hasn't even gone for the Wall yet.

Jarmel

Banned
Why would I laugh at that? I believe my reaction was "OH DAMN!" I'm not some prude when it comes to gore (far from it). But I do know the difference between comedy and violence. Maybe this is an generational thing to be so desensitized to violence that you feel compelled to laugh about it as a defense mechanism?

Or maybe they screwed up the framing of the shots? Talisa got shanked like something out of the Wire or Oz, Bolton appears in and out of frame like it's a game of tag, and Catelyn's killer just pops up like it's whack-a-mole.

dubq

Or maybe they screwed up the framing of the shots? Talisa got shanked like something out of the Wire or Oz, Bolton appears in and out of frame like it's a game of tag, and Catelyn's killer just pops up like it's whack-a-mole.

The framing was fine. I'll take the experienced cinematographer's take over random NEOgaffer any day, thanks.

Altazor

I just have to quote THAT part of the book again. It's so damned well written, it feels like an axe to the gut (pun intended) every time you read it.

Catelyn grabbed a handful of Jinglebell Frey’s long grey hair and dragged him out of his hiding place. “Lord Walder!” she shouted. “LORD WALDER!” The drum beat slow and sonorous, doom boom doom. “Enough,” said Catelyn. “Enough, I say. You have repaid betrayal with betrayal, let it end.” When she pressed her dagger to Jinglebell’s throat, the memory of Bran’s sickroom came back to her, with the feel of steel at her own throat. The drum went boom doom boom doom boom doom. “Please,” she said. “He is my son. My first son, and my last. Let him go. Let him go and I swear we will forget this . . . forget all you’ve done here. I swear it by the old gods and new, we . . . we will take no vengeance . . .”
Lord Walder peered at her in mistrust. “Only a fool would believe such blather. D’you take me for a fool, my lady?”
“I take you for a father. Keep me for a hostage, Edmure as well if you haven’t killed him. But let Robb go.”
“No.” Robb’s voice was whisper faint. “Mother, no . . .”
“Yes. Robb, get up. Get up and walk out, please, please. Save yourself . . . if not for me, for Jeyne.”
“Jeyne?” Robb grabbed the edge of the table and forced himself to stand. “Mother,” he said, “Grey Wind . . .”
“Go to him. Now. Robb, walk out of here.”
Lord Walder snorted. “And why would I let him do that?”
She pressed the blade deeper into Jinglebell’s throat. The lackwit rolled his eyes at her in mute appeal. A foul stench assailed her nose, but she paid it no more mind than she did the sullen ceaseless pounding of that drum, boom doom boom doom boom doom. Ser Ryman and Black Walder were circling round her back, but Catelyn did not care. They could do as they wished with her; imprison her, rape her, kill her, it made no matter. She had lived too long, and Ned was waiting. It was Robb she feared for. “On my honor as a Tully,” she told Lord Walder, “on my honor as a Stark, I will trade your boy’s life for Robb’s. A son for a son.” Her hand shook so badly she was ringing Jinglebell’s head.
Boom, the drum sounded, boom doom boom doom. The old man’s lips went in and out. The knife trembled in Catelyn’s hand, slippery with sweat. “A son for a son, heh,” he repeated. “But that’s a grandson . . . and he never was much use.”
A man in dark armor and a pale pink cloak spotted with blood stepped up to Robb. “Jaime Lannister sends his regards.” He thrust his longsword through her son’s heart, and twisted.
Robb had broken his word, but Catelyn kept hers. She tugged hard on Aegon’s hair and sawed at his neck until the blade grated on bone. Blood ran hot over her fingers. His little bells were ringing, ringing, ringing, and the drum went boom doom boom.
Finally someone took the knife away from her. The tears burned like vinegar as they ran down her cheeks. Ten fierce ravens were raking her face with sharp talons and tearing off strips of flesh, leaving deep furrows that ran red with blood. She could taste it on her lips.
It hurts so much, she thought. Our children, Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb . . . Robb . . . please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting . . . The white tears and the red ones ran together until her face was torn and tattered, the face that Ned had loved. Catelyn Stark raised her hands and watched the blood run down her long fingers, over her wrists, beneath the sleeves of her gown. Slow red worms crawled along her arms and under her clothes. It tickles. That made her laugh until she screamed. “Mad,” someone said, “she’s lost her wits,” and someone else said, “Make an end,” and a hand grabbed her scalp just as she’d done with Jinglebell, and she thought, No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair. Then the steel was at her throat, and its bite was red and cold.

Those last paragraphs... oh lord, they're too much.

Speevy

Banned

I doubt it. I'm pretty old in Neogaf years.

Comedy and violence aren't mutually exclusive, and it's entirely possible to appreciate the death of someone while laughing at its absurdity.

For example, someone getting barbecued by a dragon is pretty damn funny.

Speevy

Banned
They should have had Roose Bolton do it.

He could hippity hopped to Catelyn and said "The Lannisters send their regards again!" before cartwheeling out of the room.

-griffy-

Banned
Ok. Can you describe why it worked for you? Was it just the shock value?

It worked because they didn't try to do anything special. They just shot it point blank and matter of fact, like regular medium shots of the characters. It made the violence all the more shocking and frank. It wasn't built up like an emotionally stylistic moment with slow motion. It was Catelyn standing there, all emotion drained from her, catatonic, and someone simply coming up behind her and slitting her throat. The frankness of it all added to the horror of the acts. Immensely effective filmmaking.

And I don't know why people think Bolton was darting around weirdly, it seemed perfectly natural and his delivery of the line was suitably cold and matter of fact.

It worked because they didn't try to do anything special. They just shot it point blank and matter of fact, like regular medium shots of the characters. It made the violence all the more shocking and frank. It wasn't built up like an emotionally stylistic moment with slow motion. It was Catelyn standing there, all emotion drained from her, catatonic, and someone simply coming up behind her and slitting her throat. The frankness of it all added to the horror of the acts. Immensely effective filmmaking.

And I don't know why people think Bolton was darting around weirdly, it seemed perfectly natural and his delivery of the line was suitably cold and matter of fact.

This. I feel like people are really nitpicking here. It was fucking amazing.

Jarmel

Banned

Bolton steps literally into frame, stabs Rob, and step straight out of frame. There really isn't even a need for Bolton to step aside like that except for dramatic flair. Catelyn's reaction is fine but then some random guy just trots up and does the finishing blow. People just step into frame and are then out of it.

We're not quite there yet.

This won't reach NeoGAF levels of preposterous over-analysing until we get a top down room layout and a frame-by-frame positioning of all characters.

tauroxd

I just have to quote THAT part of the book again. It's so damned well written, it feels like an axe to the gut (pun intended) every time you read it.

Those last paragraphs... oh lord, they're too much.

You just gotta love Martin for that chapter.

dubq

Ok. Can you describe why it worked for you? Was it just the shock value?

What do I need to explain?

That someone being rapidly stabbed in the gut isn't exclusive to prison dramas? That it was happening long before the Wire or Oz ever existed and that the only reason you're thinking of those two shows is because you have a prior experience with them? The fact that she was killed in this way works on many levels. He's not going to slowly kill her so that Robb can have a chance to react. It has to be fast and brutal and it has to kill. Several rapid stabs to the gut would do that. Add insult to injury with the fact that she's pregnant and it's a very powerful "WTF JUST HAPPENED" moment for her to die in.

Roose dashing up to Robb and then stabbing him once and leaving. What would you have him do? Hang out for a bit. Chat for a few minutes before slowly stabbing him? Roose is meticulous and clean. He likes things done and over with and he despises a mess. Do you even know his character background? Anyway, shot-wise, he stabs him and then leaves the scene so that we can have the clear and unobstructed view of Robb looking into his mother's eyes before falling dead to the floor. Powerful, IMO.

Catelyn being slashed across the throat by a Frey coming in from out of frame - was he supposed to teleport there? He did not "pop up" from behind her. He came from the right side (our left) of the frame. As in walked over and "made an end of it." This is pretty much how she dies in the book outside of some self-mutilation.

It's pretty clear that you have many preconceived notions about how the killings were done, so I'm not sure what else you could've really wanted with this stuff..

Burt

In the book didn't Bolton say, (up to book 4)
"Jaimie Lannister sends his regards"? I think that would've been a much more effective line, what with Jaimie saying that verbatim when he parted ways with Bolton. Plus, if it was loud enough for Cat to hear, that would just sting even more, she being the one that let him go and all. It would tie in well with Stoneheart/Brienne later, as well.
Probably went the way they did to drive home that the whole thing was a Lannister machination though. Gotta make it a little more obvious when you don't have the scope of a book to clarify everything. Not trying to nitpick either, I liked it just fine overall.

BFIB

I almost wish the final scene was a close up of Catelyn's face. Her scream, then you hear someone distant laugh "she's lost her wits." You then hear Walder mumble something, all the while she's staring straight into the screen, almost solemn.

Then you see one of the Frey's come up behind her, force her head back and she whispers "Ned"....Red flows, and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom