• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

In the book didn't Bolton say,
"Jaimie Lannister sends his regards"? I think that would've been a much more effective line, what with Jaimie saying that verbatim when he parted ways with Bolton. Plus, if it was loud enough for Cat to hear, that would just sting even more, she being the one that let him go and all. It would tie in well with Stoneheart/Brienne later, as well.
Probably went the way they did to drive home that the whole thing was a Lannister machination though. Gotta make it a little more obvious when you don't have the scope of a book to pass it up. Not trying to nitpick either, I liked it just fine overall.

In the show, Jaime said "The Lannisters send their regards", Bolton did say it verbatim. I imagine it was so that people didn't think Jaime had anything to do with it, which of course didn't and never would.

dubq

In the book didn't Bolton say, (up to book 4)
"Jaimie Lannister sends his regards"? I think that would've been a much more effective line, what with Jaimie saying that verbatim when he parted ways with Bolton. Plus, if it was loud enough for Cat to hear, that would just sting even more, she being the one that let him go and all. It would tie in well with Stoneheart/Brienne later, as well.
Probably went the way they did to drive home that the whole thing was a Lannister machination though. Gotta make it a little more obvious when you don't have the scope of a book to pass it up. Not trying to nitpick either, I liked it just fine overall.

Jaime doesn't say that in the show. He says, "The Lannisters." So that is what Roose says. They changed this because they obviously want to continue Jaime's turn into more of a "good guy" and it would only serve to confuse casual viewers to imply that he was specifically behind this plot.

-griffy-

Banned
Bolton steps literally into frame, stabs Rob, and step straight out of frame. There really isn't even a need for Bolton to step aside like that except for dramatic flair. Catelyn's reaction is fine but then some random guy just trots up and does the finishing blow. People just step into frame and are then out of it.

He steps up to Robb, stabs him through the heart, and steps away SO CATELYN CAN WATCH HER SON DIE CLEARLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER.

Catelyn wails in complete agony, slices the throat of Frey's wife and we linger on her shot for an uncomfortably long time as all life drains out of her. We aren't sure if this is the end of the episode or what. The shot lasts a long time. Then someone quickly steps into frame and matter of factly slits her throat, with no musical swell or anything. Just death and black.

Everything from Robb dying to the cut to black was about as perfect as I could have imagined it, quite honestly.

Some of you guys seriously pick up and harp on the weirdest shit to complain about in this show.

Burt

In the show, Jaime said "The Lannisters send their regards", Bolton did say it verbatim. I imagine it was so that people didn't think Jaime had anything to do with it, which of course didn't and never would.
Ah, gotcha, thanks. I thought he said "Tell Robb Stark Jaime Lannister sends his regards" in the show.

dubq

Bolton steps literally into frame, stabs Rob, and step straight out of frame. There really isn't even a need for Bolton to step aside like that except for dramatic flair. Catelyn's reaction is fine but then some random guy just trots up and does the finishing blow. People just step into frame and are then out of it.

"Some random guy." Watch the episode again. It's the same Frey that closed the doors. The same Frey that kills Talisa. The same Frey that was sitting beside Robb and Talisa to which she remarks that the musicians are "really good". I believe he'd already been established through an earlier episode when Robb meets with him and another Frey to discuss the terms for Edmure's marriage to a Frey girl.

TCRS

Banned
I just have to quote THAT part of the book again. It's so damned well written, it feels like an axe to the gut (pun intended) every time you read it.

Those last paragraphs... oh lord, they're too much.

oh god why did I read this

now I'm feeling shit again

oh god

this fucking wedding so much heartache

:(((

I think I understand now Talisa's purpose on the show. She pretty much existed as a mechanism to still provide a shock to people who knew about the Red Wedding. I literally recoiled when she was stabbed and felt very disturbed by her death, much like how I was very disturbed by the description of Catelyn's death in the book.

series... not really spoilers, but just in case

It does create an interesting situation, though - she wasn't unwitting bait provided by a family that was aligned with the Lannisters. She was highborn from a house across the sea. When they learn their pregnant daughter was brutally murdered by the lackeys of House Lannister, they're gonna be pissed. That situation doesn't exist in the books, so how does it get reconciled?

Very astute. I was certainly shocked, as I was still buying the honeypot theory.

You just gotta love Martin for that chapter.

The most well-written scene in the series, for me anyway, has to be [ASOS]
Ygritte's death. It's just so beautiful and I wasn't prepared for it AT ALL.
Also really loved [AFFC]
Arya's internal dialogue during her stay at the House of Black and White when she's trying to get rid of Needle.

Jarmel

Banned
He steps up to Robb, stabs him through the heart, and steps away SO CATELYN CAN WATCH HER SON DIE CLEARLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER.

Catelyn wails in complete agony, slices the throat of Frey's wife and we linger on her shot for an uncomfortably long time as all life drains out of her. We aren't sure if this is the end of the episode or what. The shot lasts a long time. Then someone quickly steps into frame and matter of factly slits her throat, with no musical swell or anything. Just death and black.

Everything from Robb dying to the cut to black was about as perfect as I could have imagined it, quite honestly.

Some of you guys seriously pick up and harp on the weirdest shit to complain about in this show.

Him stepping aside was more for the audience's sake than anything else. He quickly stabs Rob and that's that. It's essentially a drive-by stab for shock value. The audience thinks Robb might be ok then Bolton quickly runs up stabs Robb and runs off. Bolton fucking up the delivery of his line didn't help either but that's not a framing problem.

Eidan

Him stepping aside was more for the audience's sake than anything else. He quickly stabs Rob and that's that. It's essentially a drive-by stab for shock value. The audience thinks Robb might be ok then Bolton quickly runs up stabs Robb and runs off. Bolton fucking up the delivery of his line didn't help either but that's not a framing problem.

What was wrong with the delivery of the line?

What would you have him say? "Jaime Lannister MUAHAHAHA sends his regards"?

It was quick, to the point, he made sure Cat heard him, and then he's out.

To be fair though, I always saw it in the book as Robb was laying on the floor and he stepped over him, said it, and then stabbed downward with his longsword.

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah, he "runs" off. You act like he swooped by on a golf cart and shoved a knife into his chest without stopping for small talk.

He steps up to him, delivers the line in another shot, stabs him in a closeup, then we see Cat's reaction, then we see Bolton stepping away from Robb's body. It's not one single shot that he just walks through with a drive by stabbing.

And how the fuck is he supposed to say the line exactly? How was it screwed up? He kind of snarls it, under his breath and menacingly as a message directly to Robb. Is it supposed to be more upbeat? More villainous with a mustache twirl? Should his voice have risen on the third syllable before falling on the forth and fifth? After hearing complaints in this thread I was expecting some completely wooden, poorly acted reading with totally messed up annunciation or something. What we got was actually quite chilling and cruel.

One thing I realized [series]
They've now done a perfect set up for the Ramsey Ramsveal next week. All of America hates Roose Bolton forever and next week they're going to be like "OH DAMN IT'S HIS SON, SON?!?!" Amazing. Like fuckin' Ben Linus going "We're the good guys, Michael!"
TELEVISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CassSept

Oooh, that's true. Not as much as Davos being Jean Reno's twin, but there is some passing resemblance.

I didn't like the delivery of the line the first time around, but after rewatching it I really dig it. It's different from how I envisioned it, but in a good way. Certainly unlike another great line from the books that Fedora Jorah totally messed up.

Valravn

They should have had Roose Bolton do it.

He could hippity hopped to Catelyn and said "The Lannisters send their regards again!" before cartwheeling out of the room.

I picture Roose disguised as Jinglebell when reading this.
Pff people all crying about the Starks! I wont forget you, Jinglebell!

So I've stayed out of the madness since last night. Like I mentioned yesterday pre-Red Wedding, I was watching with 1 book reader and 7 non-book readers. I THOUGHT I was taping the reaction, but stupid me, I had it on camera instead of video mode.

I have to give D&D credit, for everything they built up in the SHOW itself. As soon as Rains of Castamere started, there was some confusion from them, but then one of the non-book readers said, "Why does that sound familiar? I think that's the Lannister song..." and the others were like "oh shit, you're right."

The actual scene was simply astounding, and gave me those feels in my stomach again. After it was over, one of my friends, who was probably the most emotionally invested in the show and Robb Stark said "fuck you, fuck the show," and just walked out. The other 6 just sat in stunned silence until one guy went, "well that just happened." Another just sat on my couch for I think a half hour.

Last night one of my other friends texted me:

Him: Oh fucking NO!!!!!
Me: Haha sorry man
Him: They killed the whole stark royalty
Me: Yeah... Watched with (other friend), he was pissed as shit
Him: What the fuck!!! Not watching it anymore
Me: Lol sorry man. If its any consolation this is about as bada s it gets
Him: Funking hell!!! Even lady stark too!
Him: What the fuck is this!!
Me: I went through the same thing when I read the book the first time... I know what you're feeling
Him: This is fucking insane!!!
Him: In that case I will assume there is nothing having a happy ending with this show! I am just deflated!!!
Me: I know, heading to sleep, talk soon. Try to sleep it off
Him: Yeah whatever.

Anyhow, I'm really glad this is out in the open, though my one friend who's been staying away from the show and has read the first two books texted me last night after the show saying "I am going to have to dodge all media at all costs. Game of thrones info is already out there, damn social network."

He wasn't spoiled and I warned him a week ago that whatever happened this week would be out in the open and was like a "Luke/Vader" spoiler.

So what did I think? I thought it was really well done. In fact, having Talisa there, pregnant and get completely stabbed in the stomach grabbed me. Plus the scene where Robb goes to her body just completely numb was just heartwrenching. Madden and Fairley nailed the scene, and Robb saying "...mother..." while looking at her just killed me.

Anyhow,
Not entirely sure what the hell they're going to do next episode besides Ramsay reveal, and I hope they don't do Stoneheart.

dubq

All of these viewers and their pining for a happy ending are almost as bad as Sansa during her Florian and Jonquil phase. :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyone else happy with how the Talisa character unfolded? Really glad they didn't make her a Lannister spy like some were theorizing. The whole talk she had with Robb about teaching young Ned how to ride horses really hit me in the feels knowing what was about to happen. I thought it was a nice addition compared to the book version in having that extra emotional weight there.
Yeah, I liked that, made her murder even more brutal. I didn't like Talisa and her being the nurse from Volantis was really stupid, but I'm glad she wasn't a spy. I hated that theory.

Series
Well that's incredibly stupid. So neither does any Starks kill anyone on the list, the list doesn't even include the worst betrayers?
[series]
Why would she name the Boltons and the Freys? She has no idea they're responsible for her family's murder.

To steer this thread in a slightly different direction, what are some characters you feel that were actually improved in the show? Catelyn for sure.
No way. Show-Catelyn is worse. She's much dumber and weaker.

Varys and Osha seem like obvious answers. Osha was so good even GRRM lamented how forgettable he made her.
That's quite a stretch. He said he liked show-Osha and was inspired by the actress. Not quite the same thing.

Personally I greatly prefer book-Osha and disagree with GRRM here.

Really?

In the books I had sympathy for Robb. He was injured and thought both of his brothers were dead, that's why he fucked/married Jeyne. In the show he is just a dumbass horny fool.

Same for Cat.

In the books she thought her two little boys were dead and was desperate to get the girls back by freeing Jaime. In the show she had no idea about Bran/Rickon yet.

The show versions of these two characters are much much less sympathetic and less intelligent.
Agreed completely.

The characters I prefer on TV are Davos, Sallador Saan, Balon Greyjoy, Margaery, maybe Gendry, and.... uh, Yoren maybe, if only for his badass death scene (I liked how book-Yoren was more of an ugly, lice-ridden stinky old man though, that gave him some charm). And that's mostly because they are more entertaining or fleshed out or have charismatic actors, rather than better written. Like TV-Jorah is a lot more charismatic, but the thing is, Jorah isn't supposed to have any charisma at all. I don't mind that he does have some but I wouldn't say it really improves the character. Not everyone needs to be handsome and cool. ;)

Where in ASOS do you think they're going to end the season next week? Just to help keep the attention of non-book readers I mean, since a lot of people are sad about this episode.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Where in ASOS do you think they're going to end the season next week? Just to help keep the attention of non-book readers I mean, since a lot of people are sad about this episode.

That's a good question. (ASOS)
They like to end with a good visual. They might just show Coldhands, if they've already designed his look. Lady Stoneheart would be a strong one. A pan out of the Dreadfort? Dany marching on Mereen?

Eidan

That's quite a stretch. He said he liked show-Osha and was inspired by the actress. Not quite the same thing.

Personally I greatly prefer book-Osha and disagree with GRRM here.

He also said that he too agrees that Arya was poorly written in the books, that he believes the show has taken her character in a smart direction, and that AGOT is the best book in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom