• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
No way. Show-Catelyn is worse. She's much dumber and weaker.

Not at all. For instance, Book Catelyn freed Jaime just becuz. In the show she freed him because he was about to get killed by the mob, and thus forfeiting the lives of his daughters(she though both of them were with the Lannisters). She did it for a good reason.

I never liked Book Catelyn anyway.

Lord Snow

Banned
Robb's "Mother" line is what got me. It was just perfect, right there and then he'd given up. He knew it was over and it was basically a goodbye to his mum.

And it hit me right in the feels.

Where in ASOS do you think they're going to end the season next week? Just to help keep the attention of non-book readers I mean, since a lot of people are sad about this episode.

[ASOS]
I think it's going to end with the Brotherhood reviving Cat as Lady Stoneheart. She'll open her eyes and bam, credits roll.

Amir0x

Banned
Describing a mother's blind anguish as "whiny" is something new, that's for sure. I guess for some people they really DO have to grow a vagina and have kids to relate. Maybe after that they'll understand how 'whiny' they are when they see their spouse die, their children supposedly die, other children taken hostage. See what is constantly on your mind then.

The last two seasons ended with shots that were both supernatural and foreboding. The first season ended with Dany and her dragons, while the second closed on the white walkers marching to the wall. For this reason, the most likely closing shot is
Stoneheart. It would give show viewers a sense of excitement, and would set a dark tone. A lot of viewers want the Starks to get major revenge down the line, and Stoneheart's appearance would imply that that happens.

Eidan

The last two seasons ended with shots that were both supernatural and foreboding. The first season ended with Dany and her dragons, while the second closed on the white walkers marching to the wall. For this reason, the most likely closing shot is
Stoneheart. It would give show viewers a sense of excitement, and would set a dark tone. A lot of viewers want the Starks to get major revenge down the line, and Stoneheart's appearance would imply that that happens.

Yep. It's really the smartest move.

jett

D-Member
Describing a mother's blind anguish as "whiny" is something new, that's for sure. I guess for some people they really DO have to grow a vagina and have kids to relate. Maybe after that they'll understand how 'whiny' they are when they see their spouse die, their children supposedly die, other children taken hostage. See what is constantly on your mind then.

Honestly I'm not sure if it was whiny that I found her, I just remember that I didn't really like her POV chapters in any of the books and that was glad when she got got. :p Michelle Fairley raised her to another level for me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not at all. For instance, Book Catelyn freed Jaime just becuz.
No, she freed him because she thinks Bran and Rickon are dead and she wants her daughters back and sees him as her last hope for that.
In the show she freed him because he was about to get killed by the mob,
It initially appears that way, but when Robb confronts her she doesn't even mention that, it seems that implication was unintentional. Or that TV-Catelyn is just stupid.

Book Catelyn is go whiny to me, Show Catelyn is a very strong character.
Strong? When Robb dies she just gives up and stays there. Book-Cat struggled til the very end.

As for whiny... yeah, losing your entire family one by one, pffft, stop crying so much you stupid woman, eh?

Yeah, Roose has been great all season.

The actors eyes are weird, in a good way. Kinda cold and emotive at the same time.

Allow me to try and sum up the look he gives Cat when she finds him wearing chain mail: "You, your son and your entire army are fucked. And I do not care, and it does not bother me one iota."

-griffy-

Banned
ASOS:
I'm back to thinking the close will be Coldhands. We all thought he was being revealed in episode 8 based on the description, but that ended up just being a white walker. Perhaps they have Sam and Gilly running into a mounted figure but cut away before we see who it is, then they meet up with Bran and crew and reveal this whitewalker on an elk who seems to be somewhat normal and friendly.

Or they just skip Sam and Gilly meeting him altogether and have Bran and crew run into him themselves. And he's all "I've been waiting for you Brandon Stark. We have a long way to travel." Cut to black.

Amir0x

Banned
Honestly I'm not sure if it was whiny that I found her, I just remember that I didn't really like her POV chapters in any of the books and that was glad when she got got. :p Michelle Fairley raised her to another level for me.

I can totally understand someone saying her chapters weren't as compelling to read, though. I liked them enough, but especially when she was sitting over her father's bed, it started dragging a bit for me. But I definitely understood her motives and never would have called her 'whiny.' More likely I would have said she was making poor decisions under a sort of duress, which happened to be the stress of having her entire family dissolve before her eyes. That's why where some book readers reflexively hated her for those poor decisions, I only felt sympathy. What is more heartfelt then a mother's love?

I agree with you that Michelle Fairley killed it in the role. I really, really liked her interpretation. Probably the best character transfer from the books overall.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Series
I was actually surprised that they didn't have a Ramsay reveal right there (e.g. have him at the wedding) since I assume they're going to want to heavily tie the Roose-Ramsay connection as both being horrible assholes.

dubq

It initially appears that way, but when Robb confronts her she doesn't even mention that, it seems that implication was unintentional. Or that TV-Catelyn is just stupid.

It is implied initially (by Brienne) because his life is at risk.. then when Robb confronts her she reveals it was for the girls. Same reasoning. This stems out of Littlefinger's visit to her with Ned's bones in an earlier episode.

Valravn

Is it me or is Catelyn the only one who noticed that the band begins to play The Rains of Castamere and doesnt do anything.
'Hey a Lannister song, that is odd. Well its probably nothing'. No Stark soldier seems to notice it.

If remember the book correctly The Red Wedding begins right after the band begins to play the song, using it as a signal.

-griffy-

Banned
Is it me or is Catelyn the only one who noticed that the band begins to play The Rains of Castamere and doesnt do anything.
'Hey a Lannister song, that is odd. Well its probably nothing'

If remember the book correctly The Red Wedding begins right after the band begins to play the song, using it as a signal.

It still seemed like it was a signal in the show, just not for the attack itself to begin. After they began playing they closed the doors to the hall and outside you can see a bunch of armed men getting into position.

Ah, here we go.

i5lnbUst2vyzo.gif

'Hey a Lannister song, that is odd. Well its probably nothing'. No Stark soldier seems to notice it.

Yeah. It's why she lifted Roose's sleeve. She was immediately suspicious of the looks he was giving and the song.

Fey

Banned

Yup.

I am really shocked at people calling Cat "stupid" this episode for not going after Walder after Robb is killed. She really is beyond redemption if people can't excuse her for not thinking properly after seeing her son and daughter-in-law die right in front of her.

Hystzen

It is just a popular song around westros so most won't notice it was odd. What Cat noticed was how bad they where playing , I think the Starkmen where too drunk to care or notice Cat was anxious and on edge from the start

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
We live in a world where people think "getting in the way" of a husband's family-threatening drug empire is "bitchy".

21st Century is wild, man.

Oh man, don't get me started on that... I don't know what annoys me more, the hate for Catelyn or the hate for Skyler. I guess "the wife" must invariably get hated just by virtue of being a wife or something. The only one who deserves it is Lori in The Walking Dead, but then she's a badly written idiot too.

Ahem. Sorry for the derail. Let's talk about other things that happened in the episode. Who else thought it was goofy that Jorah, Grey Worm and Daario apparently defeated two scores of men by themselves? I didn't care for that at all. I didn't care much that Ygritte decided to go on Jon's side either. Hodor losing his shit at the thunderstorm was nicely done though. Glad they kept the "stop hodoring!" line. XD

Yup.

I am really shocked at people calling Cat "stupid" this episode for not going after Walder after Robb is killed. She really is beyond redemption if people can't excuse her for not thinking properly after seeing her son and daughter-in-law die right in front of her.

Preach it, sista.

Catelyn's death destroyed me. I've always been more distraught about her death than Robb's, and the way the episode ended was just awful. I knew that scene was going to be tough to watch, but it still hit me really hard.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh yeah. [series]
So they completely abandoned the Stark heir debate (they had to, since Talisa was pregnant, I guess...) and the letter? I was hoping that it was significant, and hoping to see Maege Mormont reach Greywater Watch at some point, and maybe we'll still see that in the books, but now I wonder, if they cut that storyline entirely from the show it can't be that important, can it? :\

Trasher

Oh yeah. [series]
So they completely abandoned the Stark heir debate (they had to, since Talisa was pregnant, I guess...) and the letter? I was hoping that it was significant, and hoping to see Maege Mormont reach Greywater Watch at some point, and maybe we'll still see that in the books, but now I wonder, if they cut that storyline entirely from the show it can't be that important, can it? :\

If there is nothing in the next episode concerning this, then it's probably safe to say it has been cut for the show.

Oh man, don't get me started on that... I don't know what annoys me more, the hate for Catelyn or the hate for Skyler. I guess "the wife" must invariably get hated just by virtue of being a wife or something. The only one who deserves it is Lori in The Walking Dead, but then she's a badly written idiot too.

Ahem. Sorry for the derail. Let's talk about other things that happened in the episode. Who else thought it was goofy that Jorah, Grey Worm and Daario apparently defeated two scores of men by themselves? I didn't care for that at all. I didn't care much that Ygritte decided to go on Jon's side either. Hodor losing his shit at the thunderstorm was nicely done though. Glad they kept the "stop hodoring!" line. XD

I actually thought the thunder near miss stuff closer to the book than the RW. Loved it.

ASOS spoilers and characters/actors for next season
HBO, fucking pay Conan Stevens to come back as Gregor. It's not even funny anymore. Figure out the scheduling and bring that horse chopping maniac back. If I have to watch Oded Fehr fight that tall goofy idiot from season 2, I'm gonna be so disappointed.

NG28

ASOS spoilers and characters/actors for next season
HBO, fucking pay Conan Stevens to come back as Gregor. It's not even funny anymore. Figure out the scheduling and bring that horse chopping maniac back. If I have to watch Oded Fehr fight that tall goofy idiot from season 2, I'm gonna be so disappointed.

agreed

dubq

Actually they only defeated the first group that we saw them fight. Jorah says the others who popped out surrendered and took their side to take the city with them..

That's a good question. (ASOS)
They like to end with a good visual. They might just show Coldhands, if they've already designed his look. Lady Stoneheart would be a strong one. A pan out of the Dreadfort? Dany marching on Mereen?

I'm thinking (ASOS)
they'll go with Lady Stoneheart. It would probably go down as the best season finale if done right, and would give a sense of redemption and hope to the unknowing viewers.
But any of those options would be good, definitely.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Actually they only defeated the first group that we saw them fight. Jorah says the others who popped out surrendered and took their side to take the city with them..
I know, but that was still stupid, why would they surrender when they got 3 men completely surrounded?

dubq

I know, but that was still stupid, why would they surrender when they got 3 men completely surrounded?

Because they realized who they were fighting and it would mean their freedom from slavery by joining up with Kelly C. After which they greatly outnumber the slave masters of Yunkai, hence the city being taken with such ease.

jett

D-Member
Man everyone got hung up on a single word. I took it back actually, since all I remember is that I didn't like Catelyn's chapters. I really liked her show version, conversely. :p

Valravn

You are not the only one. I even need time to get used to ASOS
Lady Stoneheart; that was pretty unexcepted and i had a wildy different tone.

iammeiam

Because they realized who they were fighting and it would mean their freedom from slavery by joining up with Kelly C. After which they greatly outnumber the slave masters of Yunkai, hence the city being taken with such ease.

Which is the whole reason Dany did the song and dance earlier this season in front of the Yunkai slaves showing off her dragons. Word would have spead rapidly inside the city about the powerful woman who frees slaves and has dragons. Then the commander of the sells words who are supposed to protect the city from Dany shows up within the walls, working for Dany, and the slaves have zero incentive to stick by their masters anymore.

dubq

Which is the whole reason Dany did the song and dance earlier this season in front of the Yunkai slaves showing off her dragons. Word would have spead rapidly inside the city about the powerful woman who frees slaves and has dragons. Then the commander of the sells words who are supposed to protect the city from Dany shows up within the walls, working for Dany, and the slaves have zero incentive to stick by their masters anymore.

*high five*

pr0cs

ASOS and ending season 3:
all the interviews I've read regarding Fairley suggests that she went home shortly after filming the RW, which might mean there will be no stoneheart in this season

dubq

ASOS and ending season 3:
all the interviews I've read regarding Fairley suggests that she went home shortly after filming the RW, which might mean there will be no stoneheart in this season

These shows are never filmed in the order they appear on tv. ;)

Iksenpets

Banned
Oh yeah. [series]
So they completely abandoned the Stark heir debate (they had to, since Talisa was pregnant, I guess...) and the letter? I was hoping that it was significant, and hoping to see Maege Mormont reach Greywater Watch at some point, and maybe we'll still see that in the books, but now I wonder, if they cut that storyline entirely from the show it can't be that important, can it? :

ADWD
I guess they could just have the Northern lords independently name Jon heir, but that episode definitely put the emphasis on Rickon as the future heir, not Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom