• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
[ASOS]
After reading the passage from the book I do think they kind of messed up the part with Roose. In the book he draws his longsword, stabs Robb in the heart and then twists it. This should have been done in a slow, deliberate fashion. Would have been way more powerful instead of a guy running around the room and quickly stabbing him in the gut. But then again it might have been too much for TV, I dunno.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm thinking (ASOS)
they'll go with Lady Stoneheart. It would probably go down as the best season finale if done right, and would give a sense of redemption and hope to the unknowing viewers.
But any of those options would be good, definitely.

Series
I honestly thing there's only one good reason to end on Stoneheart, which is that they can end Beric Dondarrion's character arc and the issue with the revival power in the same season they established it the return seems less out of left field. Stoneheart appears, what, twice in the whole series?

The problem with doing it next week is that it softens the Red Wedding impact to a degree since its so immediate AND there's no danger of the viewers not understanding who Cat is regardless of when the reveal takes place (which is the bigger problem with bringing a character back after a full season or more).

Eidan

Series
I honestly thing there's only one good reason to end on Stoneheart, which is that they can end Beric Dondarrion's character arc and the issue with the revival power in the same season they established it the return seems less out of left field. Stoneheart appears, what, twice in the whole series?

The problem with doing it next week is that it softens the Red Wedding impact to a degree since its so immediate AND there's no danger of the viewers not understanding who Cat is regardless of when the reveal takes place (which is the bigger problem with bringing a character back after a full season or more).

ASOS
You hear this a lot, but I disagree. Cat's revival softens the Red Wedding. It doesn't matter if it's now or at the end of Season 4. It should be shown now, however, because television audiences really need that glimmer of hope for Stark comeuppance. It's different with the book, because it happens two thirds of the way in. Most people aren't going to really quit reading a book they've already purchased because an event upset them. But I can see someone quitting a show at the end of a season after a major twist that upsets them.

TCRS

Banned
Series

well besides that [ASOS]
if Michelle Fairley starts turning up to shoots there will be leaks and people will know that she in season 4. better reveal her comeback now instead of through leaks and grainy pictures.

jett

D-Member
I think the worst part for the non-book readers is they're going to be left hanging in a place Martin never intended.

If they can't be arsed to pick up a book that's their own fault. It's going to really sting though, you're right. For a year they're going to be angry and depressed about the whole thing. :p
I thought they might also have the purple wedding as the finale but seems like that's a definite no. I don't really remember how much time passes between the two weddings, anyway. However, Stoneheart really shouldn't appear. It's way too soon.

Randdalf

Series

Series
I think they might show Beric's men finding her body in the river at the very end, hinting at what might happen. Then leave the final reveal 'til the end of the next series. My only worry is that we'll get Stoneheart overload just to keep the actor happy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If they can't be arsed to pick up a book that's their own fault. It's going to really sting though, you're right. For a year they're going to be angry and depressed about the whole thing. :p
I thought they might also have the purple wedding as the finale but seems like that's a definite no. I don't really remember how much time passes between the two weddings, anyway. However, Stoneheart really shouldn't appear. It's way too soon.

Was less than 10 chapters in the book.

well besides that [ASOS]
if Michelle Fairley starts turning up to shoots there will be leaks and people will know that she in season 4. better reveal her comeback now instead of through leaks and grainy pictures.

ASOS
They kept Liam Cunningham's fate under wraps.

Interesting to see the group so split on the Cat reveal. I'm kind of in the middle, I see both sides to the argument, but I do lean towards the side that thinks it will happen next week.

Random thought, but without the Kings Landing group, Richard Madden climbed to 3rd in the billing last night. :/

DagsJT

I can't remember the books as well as I'd like but is Joffrey's wedding likely to be the next episode? Or would that be next season some time?

Fey

Banned
I can't remember the books as well as I'd like but is Joffrey's wedding likely to be the next episode? Or would that be next season some time?

ASOS
Next season. They have to introduce some characters, including the Martells, before Joff's wedding. And they have to build up Sansa's escape plan.

What's the alternative there? ASOS
You spend a bunch of episodes hearing about some Lady Stoneheart character until they finally reveal it at the end. Wouldn't that require them to explain everything that happened with Beric through exposition though? It just seems like that could probably end up being really clunky. I think I would just prefer them showing it now rather than waiting, especially with all of the buildup this season. A lot of people aren't going to remember that stuff a year from now

ASOS
Interesting to see the group so split on the Cat reveal. I'm kind of in the middle, I see both sides to the argument, but I do lean towards the side that thinks it will happen next week.

Yeah I think it's almost definitely going to happen... I see the point where the audience needs some levity after the red wedding, and I originally hoped (before this season) that the purple wedding would fit in but I think at this point, it's definitely next season so they'll HAVE to default to the Stoneheart reveal.

Snake

1A3pILO.gif

My feels.

Kweh

ASOS
Ygritte shot Jon in the leg as he was riding away in the book right? I wonder why they didn't bother with that.

Pocks

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";60907085]I think my favorite moment of the series after ASOS is
the revelation that Dany's dragons are eating children
[/QUOTE]

You should tag this properly, as noted in the OP.

At a glimpse I thought it was a spoiler for ASOS, which I have read. Yeah, I know it's my fault for being highlight happy but still.

Yeah I think it's almost definitely going to happen... I see the point where the audience needs some levity after the red wedding, and I originally hoped (before this season) that the purple wedding would fit in but I think at this point, it's definitely next season so they'll HAVE to default to the Stoneheart reveal.
ASOS
I think more than a lift from the RW, it's more about a natural character arc conclusion to Beric within a TV season and it gives them that major hook/cliffhanger to end the season on.
1A3pILO.gif

My feels.
:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((

tumblr_m8xt51l9iy1ranafzo1_500.jpg

Was this the first episode where no one in King's Landing is featured?

102 "The Kingsroad" I think, but that's because they were all traveling.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
well besides that [ASOS]

I actually disagree with that. Anyone that looks for leaks can flat out look up what's going to happen in less than 30 seconds.

KingK

Overall, I was pretty pleased with how they handled that episode. They did the Red Wedding better than I had expected, and Cat's actress was fantastic. Just a few nitpicks:

1. I would have liked "The Rains of Castamere" to play throughout the whole scene, instead of just the first few seconds. I love how they made it sound though.
2. Roose Bolton stabbing Robb could have been done better. It seemed a little rushed and awkward, and his delivery of "The Lannisters send their regards" was a little flat, imo.
3. I was waiting for "Not my hair. Ned loves my hair." That was one of the most haunting lines in the entire book series for me, so I was really hoping they'd include it.

Amir0x

Banned
Overall, I was pretty pleased with how they handled that episode. They did the Red Wedding better than I had expected, and Cat's actress was fantastic. Just a few nitpicks:

1. I would have liked "The Rains of Castamere" to play throughout the whole scene, instead of just the first few seconds. I love how they made it sound though.
2. Roose Bolton stabbing Robb could have been done better. It seemed a little rushed and awkward, and his delivery of "The Lannisters send their regards" was a little flat, imo.
3. I was waiting for "Not my hair. Ned loves my hair." That was one of the most haunting lines in the entire book series for me, so I was really hoping they'd include it.

Reading the scene again in the brook proper, though, she thought that line internally... I think it would have sounded weird as fuck out loud. Would have liked to see her descent into total madness though, clawing at her face, wild, raving lunatic thoughts... but alas, I guess the episode was hard enough for people :p

Really wish they played Rains throughout the whole scene, that's always how I imagined it. And it sounded so nice too.

Eidan

Reading the scene again in the brook proper, though, she thought that line internally... I think it would have sounded weird as fuck out loud. Would have liked to see her descent into total madness though, clawing at her face, wild, raving lunatic thoughts... but alas, I guess the episode was hard enough for people :p

Really wish they played Rains throughout the whole scene, that's always how I imagined it. And it sounded so nice too.

I'm going to break some people's hearts.

ASOS
I guarantee you that Tyrion will not say anything about Tywin shitting gold when he kills him.

Randdalf

I don't think it was even possible in the book that Rains was played, because all the musicians were busy firing crossbows.

No one knows for sure, but a lot of us are predicting ASOS
Lady Stoneheart's reveal.

Owwww thanks !

IMPORTANT SPOILERS, DON'T REMEMBER WHICH BOOK
My memery is fading... There's another wedding scene... than some archery... Aren't we also close to this ? Or for opening the next season ?

Fey

Banned
Yeah, iirc, Cat reciting her children's names, and "wanting it to end" and "Not my hair" was all in her head. They probably took out the clawing at the face because it didn't fit with the mood. In the book the RW was hectic right up to the end of the chapter, but in the show they decided to go for a more subtle, "it's over, I give up" tone.

jett

D-Member
It's funny how different reactions can be. My non-reader friend simply thought the episode was fucking awesome despite feeling somewhat traumatized. :p

KingK

True, I had forgotten that most of her final ramblings are internal thought. Still, I think it could have been really powerful in the show to have the Frey grab her by the hair before he slit her throat and then have her softly say "Not my hair. Ned loves my hair." with her blank face before she dies.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm going to break some people's hearts.

ASOS
I guarantee you that Tyrion will not say anything about Tywin shitting gold when he kills him.

How can you guarantee something like that? That is like THE best line lol

I don't think it was even possible in the book that Rains was played, because all the musicians were busy firing crossbows.

Certainly. But for television, I thought it would have been very powerful that way - this haunting melody playing as images of slaughter flash by one after the other, an ode to the helplessness of the entire affair. Dramatic effect and all that ;P

So I always imagined it that way...

Angry Grimace

If it weren't for the Red Wedding, I bet some non-book readers would be noticing just how incompetent of a double agent Jon Snuh really is.

Brashnir

Owwww thanks !

IMPORTANT SPOILERS, DON'T REMEMBER WHICH BOOK
My memery is fading... There's another wedding scene... than some archery... Aren't we also close to this ? Or for opening the next season ?

Yes. ASOS
There's still a little less than half of ASOS left to go after the Red Wedding. Joffrey's wedding, Oberyn vs the Mountain, Tyrion killing Tywin, and about 10 other awesome things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom