• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

My household was dead silent from the moment Talisa got got to about 1 minute after next week's preview aired. Just eerily quiet. One book reader besides me, with four Unsullied.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm going to break some people's hearts.

ASOS
I guarantee you that Tyrion will not say anything about Tywin shitting gold when he kills him.

That is the best line in the entire series. If we don't get that then something has gone horribly wrong.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That is the best line in the entire series. If we don't get that then something has gone horribly wrong.

It wasn't even dialog in the book and I think it'd be pretty awkward coming out of his mouth. It's like a James Bond one-liner. That moment is actually very dark and it's completely inconsistent.

Massa

We already got it, we may get it again. Not by Major ASOS
Tyrion right after killing him though, that would look cartoonish as hell.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Been awhile and I'll have to double check, but ASOS
wasn't there a growing rumor of the leader of the BWB doing some harsh things, and general foreshadowing, ending with the final reveal of Lady Stoneheart in the epilogue? While I can understand using her Resurrection to "calm" the TV viewers at the end of this season, that does do away with that subtle bit of story. But then, Barriston was revealed the moment he arrived instead of much later, so I guess you can chalk that up to "book storytelling tropes, unusable in the TV Format."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It wasn't even dialog in the book and I think it'd be pretty awkward coming out of his mouth. It's like a James Bond one-liner. That moment is actually very dark and it's completely inconsistent.

ASOS
Doesn't he actually give some kind of James Bond villian one-liner, like "hurry and die; I've got a boat to catch" or something?

Jarmel

Banned

ASOS
That's the whole point of the line. He just killed his father and he was so detached about the event that he made a joke about it. It shows how much hatred he had for his dad and where his mental state is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's the whole point of the line. He just killed his father and he was so detached about the event that he made a joke about it. It shows how much hatred he had for his dad and where his mental state is.

But the point here is that the line never occurred. It was purely part of the narration, not an actual bit of dialogue.

Jarmel

Banned
But the point here is that the line never occurred. It was purely part of the narration, not an actual bit of dialogue.

ASOS
There would have been nobody around to hear the line so it would be weird if spoken outloud in the book, for a television series, there is the audience watching.

Eidan

ASOS

Again, another example of "every detail is an important detail".

This show is going to run into major problems because there are characters to pull for, but none of them are particularly compelling. Jon Snow is a wooden, brooding child in the show and comes across as more of a bad ass in the books. Tyrion
kills Tywin, but Tywin has become a fan favorite even though he is a dick. So that completely works against the show.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
ASOS
There would have been nobody around to hear the line so it would be weird if spoken outloud in the book, for a television series, there is the audience watching.

They'll change it so a gold cloak will say it.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jarmel

Banned
This show is going to run into major problems because there are characters to pull for, but none of them are particularly compelling. Jon Snow is a wooden, brooding child in the show and comes across as more of a bad ass in the books. Tyrion
kills Tywin, but Tywin has become a fan favorite even though he is a dick. So that completely works against the show.

The biggest issue is with Jon. He's not particularly likeable as it stands and he starts to do the heavy lifting in the series. Arya is fine as she's still popular.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The biggest issue is with Jon. He's not particularly likeable as it stands and he starts to do the heavy lifting in the series. Arya is fine as she's still popular.

Jon was boring at this point in the books as well. Heck I'd say last night was when Jon finally got interesting in the books.

Exactly. I don't know if it's the writing or the actor, but Jon Snow was butchered as far as characterization. A lot of fan favorites end up doing things that make them less likeable too.

Jarmel

Banned
Jon was boring at this point in the books as well. Heck I'd say last night was when Jon finally got interesting in the books.

Jon had his moments prior such as with Halfhand(well with the books anyway). I'm also wondering whether Jon's actor is actually any good at all.

Also I doubt Headey will be able to do Cersei justice. She might but her prior work on the show leaves a lot to be desired. She is going to be a major player going forward too.

dubq

Jon had his moments prior such as with Halfhand(well with the books anyway). I'm also wondering whether Jon's actor is actually any good at all.

Also I doubt Headey will be able to do Cersei justice. She might but her prior work on the show leaves a lot to be desired.
lol, have you seen the most recent Silent Hill?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The show is going to put its eggs into Dany's basket. From the viewer-only perspective she is the best protagonist the show has currently. If they really intend to keep the show relatively brief (7 seasons) with relatively little concern for GRRM's writing output (as seems to be implied), I expect them to significantly re-jigger her storyline to make it more compelling and less drawn out later.

Eidan

Agreed.

ASOS
Jon's story line didn't really start picking up for me until this point. Everything after he left the Wall, and until he comes back, left me cold.

Big-E

Thought it was decent but I really don't understand how comical Robb's death looked. Roose just all of a sudden jumps out of the screen and does the deed and delivers his line quite flat. Everything else was handled quite well though I would have preferred to have had some of Robb's people going down fighting as I remember the Smalljohn flipping the table in a desperate attempt. I wonder how they are going to handle *Series spoilers*
The Blackfish. Are they going to have his swim now? It could make sense to do it now though I would find it weird that the Frey's or Bolton's didn't have a ton of people shadowing him when he went out of the room.
. I also liked the fact that they kept the wedding mostly in Cat's perspective though I didn't particularly like her catatonic state.

Been awhile and I'll have to double check, but ASOS
wasn't there a growing rumor of the leader of the BWB doing some harsh things, and general foreshadowing, ending with the final reveal of Lady Stoneheart in the epilogue? While I can understand using her Resurrection to "calm" the TV viewers at the end of this season, that does do away with that subtle bit of story. But then, Barriston was revealed the moment he arrived instead of much later, so I guess you can chalk that up to "book storytelling tropes, unusable in the TV Format."

ASOS
I had chalked up the absence of Whitebeard on the show to the fact that the average viewer (i.e. non-book reader) isn't going to be wowed by a Ser Barristan reveal late in the season, so no reason to bother with it.

With Cat/Stoneheart, I think it's different. I think they should take a little time (albeit not wait until the end of S4) and let the audience stew on it before the reveal. Maybe do some name drops through the first few episodes and mention that someone's hanging Freys and the like, and then do the reveal maybe after the PW.

The only issue is logistical. If Michelle Fairly is on set during S4's filming this summer, the press will report as much, and the gig will be up. That's probably the strongest argument for expecting a Stoneheart reveal this weekend.

The show is going to put its eggs into Dany's basket. From the viewer-only perspective she is the best protagonist the show has currently. If they really intend to keep the show relatively brief (7 seasons) with relatively little concern for GRRM's writing output (as seems to be implied), I expect them to significantly re-jigger her storyline to make it more compelling and less drawn out later.

Dany is the character I hate the most in the books and the show. So I hope this isn't true. I'm surprised so many television viewers have liked her. To me, she's a hypocritical, self righteous, entitled harpy.

Massa

ASOS

ASOS
The show has Penter Dinklage to convey that. GRRM didn't, so the line was necessary there, but not on the show.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Dany is the character I hate the most in the books and the show. So I hope this isn't true. I'm surprised so many television viewers have liked her. To me, she's a hypocritical, self righteous, entitled harpy.

Not even gonna inject my own opinion into it but I think a look at the No Spoilers thread shows that viewers-only have a radically different opinion on Dany from most readers.

Amir0x

Banned
Not even gonna inject my own opinion into it but I think a look at the No Spoilers thread shows that viewers-only have a radically different opinion on Dany from most readers.

soon enough they'll be on the same page. Once we spend three more seasons with <all series spoilers>
Dany doing absolutely nothing
lol

soon enough they'll be on the same page. Once we spend three more seasons with <all series spoilers>
Dany doing absolutely nothing
lol

They'll change this in the show. They'll make her major piece in the overall story and don't be surprised if a ton of new material is created for that actress.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They'll change this in the show. They'll make her major piece in the overall story and don't be surprised if a ton of new material is created for that actress.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. Based on what we've heard, all indications are that they're looking to only diverge further from this point, don't want to go on for 10 seasons, and stopping to wait for GRRM is absolutely not feasible. So I pretty much expect them to punch up Dany's story and make her more central, coming back together to the eventual conclusion they're aware of. If HBO lets them keep going I don't see how it goes any other way.

Yeah, I'm expecting major departures from the books to start popping up from S5 onwards. They're kind of going to have to do it that way, unless they want to try and bank on the show's popularity holding up for 10+ seasons, which is a very rare thing in the TV world, especially for big budget programs on HBO.

Yeah, I'm expecting major departures from the books to start popping up from S5 onwards. They're kind of going to have to do it that way, unless they want to try and bank on the show's popularity holding up for 10+ seasons, which is a very rare thing in the TV world, especially for big budget programs on HBO.

I dont think they can really consider having the show last that long. Even 8 seasons seems like its pushing it.

Amir0x

Banned
DWD
I hope the show follows the books in hinting that Dany is slowly descending into madness.

was she SLOWLY doing that? haha

seriously, though, GRRM has put Dany in an awkward position that makes for some insufferable television I bet, so I do hope like jett they change things dramatically for her character. Although I'm not sure what they could add to really make it compelling outside of straight killing a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom