• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're getting more than 7 seasons. Even if AFFC/ADwD are two seasons total, we're still looking at 8.

Deadwood and Rome say, "Hi".

Even the Sopranos only made it 7 (if you count S6 part 1 and 2 as separate seasons) before writers/cast/crew and the audience was starting to burn out.

If the show runners are "counting" on having 8 or more seasons to tell this story, they're running a big risk of never having the chance to finish telling it.

Trasher

We're getting more than 7 seasons. Even if AFFC/ADwD are two seasons total, we're still looking at 8.

I honestly think they can do books 4/5 and the beginning of 6 as one season. Especially since all of that was initially supposed to only be contained in a single book.

Even the Sopranos only made it 7 (if you count S6 part 1 and 2 as separate seasons) before writers/cast/crew and the audience was starting to burn out.

If the show runners are "counting" on having 8 or more seasons to tell this story, they're running a big risk of never having the chance to finish telling it.

HBO claims to have learned their lesson from cancelling those shows. They eventually made their money back through DVD sales, and have said that if they had foreseen that, those shows never would have been cancelled. Also, they continue to renew shows with awful ratings nowadays because they're more concerned with keeping good relationships with their showrunners and putting out good content. They understand that most of their shows eventually reach a much bigger audience on home video. Like, nobody watched The Wire when it was airing, but more people continue discovering it on DVD and through word of mouth every year

Betty

Banned
Maybe the best thing to do is not follow the books after a certain point, because after
that other wedding not much happens, at least not enough to keep television audiences entertained for 4 whole seasons.

I say the television series goes in it's own direction and concludes on it's own terms, even if that means concluding in a completely different fashion from the books.

HBO claims to have learned their lesson from cancelling those shows. They eventually made their money back through DVD sales, and have said that if they had foreseen that, those shows never would have been cancelled. Also, they continue renew shows with awful ratings nowadays because they're more concerned with keeping good relationships with their showrunners and putting out good content. They understand that most of their shows eventually reach a much bigger audience on home video. Like, nobody watched The Wire when it was airing, but more people continue discovering it on DVD and through word of mouth every year

Don't get me wrong- I think it would be great if they get all the time they need to tell this story the right way and are able to continue using the books as their backbone. But this is an expensive show, and ratings are likely to be at their peak soon if they aren't already. This show is nowhere near the ratings hit that The Sopranos was, and it peaked in its fourth season. At $60-$70 million a season, I just don't trust HBO not to start having second thoughts once we get into S5 and S6 and the ratings start to droop.

I surely do hope to be wrong on all counts, though.

ronito

Maybe the best thing to do is not follow the books after a certain point, because after
that other wedding not much happens, at least not enough to keep television audiences entertained for 4 whole seasons.

I say the television series goes in it's own direction and concludes on it's own terms, even if that means concluding in a completely different fashion from the books.

Well I think they have one more good season in there SoS/AFFC spoilers:
Joffery's death will make plenty of people happy as will Tywin's. The Margery vs. Cersei drama while not as exciting does provide some entertainment not to mention Dorne and Littlefinger/Lysa/Sansa

But I will agree it does feel like the story has largely been treading water most of the last two books. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they combined books 4 and 5 into one season with maybe one or two extra episodes.

I had this horrible thought the other that maybe the reason we don't hear anything about the next books is because Martin is holding them back until the show is done or to coincide with the show. Highly unlikely, it's more likely he's just sidetracked. But still it's a scary thought.

Chris R

Is it possible that they finish ASOS next season by episode 8ish and start up AFFC/ADWD and "finish" it in the 12 episodes that would remain to the end of the 5th season? Then they could have 2/3 good seasons to wrap things up without making things drag on too much.

I'm all for not spoiling, but people getting banned over there for saying stuff like Talisa isn't a character in the book is ridiculous. Why do people over there bother asking questions or guessing if they are just going to yell at you for giving the answers?

All of their speculation is essentially useless.

Macmanus

Both of those were brutal cancellations as well, since they both only required a single additional season to appropriately tell their stories.

Carnivale really got hacked at the knees, right when the show peaked.

As far as advancing the plot and creating interesting content [AFFC]
I'd mix in as much Dorne as possible in the fourth season and sort of position them as the new antagonists towards the Lannisters. There is a lot of meat on some of those characters this show can have fun with.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Considering the fact that they've already cut out 70% of books 1-3 so far, I don't see how they'll have a problem condensing the shit out of books 4 and 5.

TCRS

Banned
Deadwood still pisses me off. [Deadwood S3]
all season long the build up and then... SHOW CANCELLED LOL! fucking HBO

Both of those were brutal cancellations as well, since they both only required a single additional season to appropriately tell their stories.

As far as advancing the plot and creating interesting content [AFFC]
I'd mix in as much Dorne as possible in the fourth season and sort of position them as the new antagonists towards the Lannisters. There is a lot of meat on some of those characters this show can have fun with.

I thought Rome was gonna be 6 seasons, and then they found out they were gonna be cancelled and had to compress those 5 seasons into the second season

Randdalf

Is it possible that they finish ASOS next season by episode 8ish and start up AFFC/ADWD and "finish" it in the 12 episodes that would remain to the end of the 5th season? Then they could have 2/3 good seasons to wrap things up without making things drag on too much.

They have made it very clear that this is a faithful-as-possible adaption of the books, there is no way to compress all that happens in ADWD/AFFC into 12 episodes. It will be split over 20 episodes like ASOS was. I can even imagine it taking up more than that, merging with the start of TWOW partway through a season, or even using [TWOW]
the battles at the start of TWOW as the season finale for the 7th season

D&D already know how the series is going to end, though. What would be the point of going in a new direction?

I'll never be able to forgive HBO for what they did to all three of those shows. Deadwood is still my favorite series of all time, and I fill with nerd rage every single time I re watch it and reach the end of S3.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yep. 7's probably the magic number.

Is there like, any reason at all to jump to this conclusion? I don't know why I keep hearing it since as far as I can tell, its speculative extrapolation of a off-hand comment by Benioff from like a year or two ago.

RE: HBO period pieces. We are very lucky that Game of Thrones already had a built in audience. The amount of money it costs to make shows like Deadwood and Rome are extremely cost prohibitive to HBO.

Is there like, any reason at all to jump to this conclusion? I don't know why I keep hearing it since as far as I can tell, its speculative extrapolation of a off-hand comment by Benioff from like a year or two ago.

That's not what I was getting at. I was saying 7 is the magic number that the show runners should be expecting to get from HBO before they start getting trigger happy. D&D have gone on record saying that they want 8 seasons.

I thought Rome was gonna be 6 seasons, and then they found out they were gonna be cancelled and had to compress those 5 seasons into the second season

Nope. Rome was planned for 3 seasons.

EDIT: Nope, again. I'm wrong as hell. You're right- it was supposed to be 6 seasons according to Heller.

dubq

It was a comment from Frank Doegler last month or so. Again, a singular producer. I've never actually heard anyone else state this number aside from him.

Fey

Banned
series
I am very nervous about season 5 and beyond. For one, the "child" actors will be and look significantly older than their characters, and the stories will need some changing. If they keep Dany's and Tyrion's stories the way they are in DWD, they likely will no longer be fan-favourites.

Betty

Banned
D&D already know how the series is going to end, though. What would be the point of going in a new direction?

They know how it ends according to the books, but what I'm saying is that maybe trying to tell the events of AFFC and DWD with 2 seasons each like they're doing with SoS might be a very big mistake.

SoS:
I know for me personally when Joff & Tywin went a lot of tension in the series left with them. It'll be the same for television audiences I think, and 4 seasons, hell even 3 or 2 without another big event like the red wedding would kill interest in the show.

If they did decide to go in another direction somewhere down the line it would also get rid of the worry of the show catching up to the books, since the ending for the show could be changed.

series
I am very nervous about season 5 and beyond. For one, the "child" actors will be and look significantly older than their characters, and the stories will need some changing. If they keep Dany's and Tyrion's stories the way they are in DWD, they likely will no longer be fan-favourites.

ADWD
Why? I thought they had great arcs in DWD. Dany actually did something for once. Plus Jorah and Tyrion was a nice twist

RaidenZR

I'm going to break some people's hearts.

ASOS
I guarantee you that Tyrion will not say anything about Tywin shitting gold when he kills him.

[series]
I agree, but that line is way more in tone with the show's sense of humor and likely to show up at some point. They'll probably slip it in somewhere afterwards when Tyrion is doing his woeful bragging to various people when he's travelling east.

traveler

Not Wario
I need to reread AFFC and DWD. I remember bracing for disappointment and finding AFFC a letdown from the previous three but not that bad and then being very disappointed once DwD finally came out. Felt so padded to me at the time with tons of useless content. If it actually feels that way again on reread, I hope we can somehow miraculously get Winds in time for the showrunners to speed through/truncate Feast and Dance to get to its storylines. Wishful thinking, I know. Is he even a third of the way through it?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They know how it ends according to the books, but what I'm saying is that maybe trying to tell the events of AFFC and DWD with 2 seasons each like they're doing with SoS might be a very big mistake.

SoS:
I know for me personally when Joff & Tywin went a lot of tension in the series left with them. It'll be the same for television audiences I think, and 4 seasons, hell even 3 or 2 without another big event like the red wedding would kill interest in the show.

If they did decide to go in another direction somewhere down the line it would also get rid of the worry of the show catching up to the books, since the ending for the show could be changed.

Nobody expects AFFC and ADWD to be 2 seasons each. At most they'll comprise 2 seasons combined.

Amir0x

Banned
I need to reread AFFC and DWD. I remember bracing for disappointment and finding AFFC a letdown from the previous three but not that bad and then being very disappointed once DwD finally came out. Felt so padded to me at the time with tons of useless content. If it actually feels that way again on reread, I hope we can somehow miraculously get Winds in time for the showrunners to speed through/truncate Feast and Dance to get to its storylines. Wishful thinking, I know. Is he even a third of the way through it?

I liked all the books in the series, and I really love Feast, but Dance... well, there's a bunch of cool individual moments, but so much of that book is table setting and chess pieces being moved that it's hard to like it unlike the rest. Dance with Dragons is probably the first book in the series I wouldn't list as great. I still didn't mind reading it, it was decent, but definitely a downgrade. So much of it was setting though I have to hope the next book is all explosion.

SoS:

Are you saying that AFFC and ADWD would be 2 each?

Combine both books, Split down the middle, Seasons 5 & 6. Done.

Rome may have desired 6 seasons, but season two was the script for 2 and 3 condensed.

Seems like you're right. Heller was trying to get a movie made but it seems like it's never gonna happen

In March 2010, Entertainment Weekly stated that Heller had completed the script for Morning Light Productions, the film's financiers, and was now awaiting a director and a studio, since HBO Films "won't be involved.".[30] However, in a more recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, Heller indicated the project had stalled - "I'm not holding my breath".[31]

I'd love to read that script though

Betty

Banned
Are you saying that AFFC and ADWD would be 2 each?

Combine both books, Split down the middle, Seasons 5 & 6. Done.

I've heard other book readers say they want 2 for each of those books, but I agree with your idea. In fact I don't see why season 4 can't bleed into a bit of AFFC like season 2 did by having parts of SoS.

After the last episode I read every book synopsis on wikipedia out of curiosity. Fuck my life.

Yeesh. I did the same thing after AFFC, read the back of both DWD books and immediately regretted it.

I've heard other book readers say they want 2 for each of those books, but I agree with your idea. In fact I don't see why season 4 can't bleed into a bit of AFFC like season 2 did by having parts of SoS.

Yeah 2 each for both of those books would be madness.

Randdalf

I liked all the books in the series, and I really love Feast, but Dance... well, there's a bunch of cool individual moments, but so much of that book is table setting and chess pieces being moved that it's hard to like it unlike the rest. Dance with Dragons is probably the first book in the series I wouldn't list as great. I still didn't mind reading it, it was decent, but definitely a downgrade. So much of it was setting though I have to hope the next book is all explosion.

Dance is actually my second favourite book, I enjoy the rich detail of the world and how you're seeing (ADWD)
all these characters out of their comfort zones. The Theon chapters are some of the best in the entire series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom