• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

Wait, honest question, we have to block out book spoilers that describe things that have happened by where the show is now timeline-wise?
I don't think so. Not in this thread, no.

I'm quite looking forward to considerably less black bars that hide Red Wedding spoilers. Ah. That feels good posting that in the open.

Edit: It appears I am wrong on this.

[ASOS]
Who is Arya going to kill now that the tickler is dead?

Polliver. It can't be as emotional of a kill as the Tickler, though. I'm okay with how they've apparently decided to move some of her development into S4. I do wish they'd had the budget to show more of Arya's travels in Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords. She's our viewpoint of what it's like to be a commoner in a time of war in the middle ages and the series misses a lot by cutting most of that out.

iammeiam

No, but there is a good chance that's what we'll be doing next year.

Just as long as new-to-the-show stuff (the fate of Ros, Talisa in the last episode, stuff like that) remains tagged until it airs. The Walking Dead thread shoved all comic book discussion into the untagged show spoiler thread at one point during season two, and it was awful. Show-exclusive death spoilers right on the first page, etc.

Calamari41

41 > 38
No, but there is a good chance that's what we'll be doing next year.

I don't see the point in having one zero tolerance for spoilers thread and another just as zero tolerance unless everything, even (GoT)
The Hound tells Sansa his "origin story" rather than Littlefinger
is tagged. I think there should be a thread where people who have read it all can talk. Just my opinion, I'll stop if I'm out of line.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ASOS
Sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just dumbed it down and made it some random Lannister guards. Doubt show-only people would know/care who Polliver is, however the Tickler was definitely a prominent character.

ASOS/ADWD
Polliver still has Needle though. They only really need to introduce that he's an asshole and that he still has Needle.

A better question is what the fuck Bran is going to do for Season 4+. He doesn't have any chapters in ASOS after the Nightfort and there are three Bran chapters in A Dance with Dragons.

Burt

[ACOK]
Yeah, really bad fuck up overall there on that part of the story, even with the Jaqen H'ghar part as well

[ASOS]
Who is Arya going to kill now that the tickler is dead?
Next week/Season/current+next book speculation
I think she's going to end up killing the Hound after that line she dropped this week. They've cut out so much of her killing, the Hound's death has always been super unsatisfying, and she's made a point of wanting to kill him (in a dramatic turn from what seemed like an awesome setup for a Westerosi buddy cop movie the previous week). The show writers have shown that they're more than willing to shift stuff around to make it more emotional (stomach stab this week comes to mind), and Arya killing a BAMF like the Hound would not only be a more interesting death than her letting him rot under a tree, but it would make up for a lot of the kills we've missed out on.

I'm in the middle of it. I've been spoiled on a few things but I don't raise a stink of it because I have to see exactly how it happens.

Word, well hopefully by next year then most everybody is through it.

Anybody ever listen to the Audiobooks? I travel most of the day for work in my car (beer salesman) I had all this time and I supplemented my reading with them. Aside from Tyrion's voice which I couldn't stand, Roy Dotrice does a great job and it was really enjoyable.

I think she's going to end up killing the Hound after that line she dropped this week. They've cut out so much of her killing, the Hound's death has always been super unsatisfying, and she's made a point of wanting to kill him (in a dramatic turn from what seemed like an awesome setup for a Westerosi buddy cop movie the previous week). The show writers have shown that they're more than willing to shift stuff around to make it more emotional (stomach stab this week comes to mind), and Arya killing a BAMF like the Hound would not only be a more interesting death than her letting him rot under a tree, but it would make up for a lot of the kills we've missed out on.

(Series)
I highly doubt that the show will kill off the Hound. I know they've killed off some characters who are still alive in the books, but the Hound is a pretty major character, and I don't think they would do that. At least, I hope not.

(Series)
I highly doubt that the show will kill off the Hound. I know they've killed off some characters who are still alive in the books, but the Hound is a pretty major character, and I don't think they would do that. At least, I hope not.

AFFC
He's not even dead in the books. Why would the show kill him off?

ASOS/ADWD
Polliver still has Needle though. They only really need to introduce that he's an asshole and that he still has Needle.

A better question is what the fuck Bran is going to do for Season 3. He doesn't have any chapters in ASOS after the Nightfort and there are three Bran chapters in A Dance with Dragons.

ASOS/ADWD
I'm assuming a lot of travel that is mostly used as a way for Jojen to elaborate on things, as well as an elaborating of both Jojen and Meera. Speaking of Jojen, anybody miss his catchphrase on the show? I always loved that "Today is not the day I Die"

AFFC
The hound is widely speculated to be the groundskeeper at the monastery Brienne visits, so I don't think he's dead and could possibly play a part later on down the road. Who knows with the show though, I'm still trying to wrap my head around Jeyne Westerling-lessness

suzu

I was thinking of reading the books. I am caught up to all the seasons. Should I start the books from the beginning, or just move on with the 4th one?

You should read all the books. At the very least, read a wiki entry about book 1 (if you feel like skipping something) and then start on book 2. Or else you will be very confused.

The first 3 books are arguably the best ones in the series too.

Also, book 3 = season 3 and 4. So you're not entirely caught up yet to the story.

Pkaz01

series spoiler
hound isn't dead, so I don't think thats happening. She will probably kill Polliver and fans will remember because of theyll emphasize that he has needle. My personal theory is that they don't have her say the tickler questions and instead have her sing the reign of castamere as that was the song playing during the massacre and no one is going to remember what the tickler said all that time ago.

I've said what I had to say about the butchering of Arya's story in ACOK but they had ample opportunities here to show something this season the only thing they showed however is her talking a big game and then looking reallly stupid when she pulls a sword up to thoros. All she has done this season is talk shit to people and be a hostage. Yea not too far of a deviation but they needed to make up ground from what they lost last season when the played tea time with tywin. The stage she is at now she was already at in book 2.

series
Sure they have an extra season to develop this because of the freedoms in braavos but she cant go around freely killing under the FM she only does it againt dareon, the book did a good job of making the killings look necessary as they were in self defense or it was kill the guard and get out of harrenhall or die. At this point from what i've seen the writers do to Arya's story I don't see them creating enough material to satisfy what is lost from her character. When book Arya went up to the hound and ill cut your throat I believed it 100% show Arya comes off as a joke because all we've seen is her getting shut down. Its just a shame really.

Just as long as new-to-the-show stuff (the fate of Ros, Talisa in the last episode, stuff like that) remains tagged until it airs. The Walking Dead thread shoved all comic book discussion into the untagged show spoiler thread at one point during season two, and it was awful. Show-exclusive death spoilers right on the first page, etc.

Oh yeah obviously that stuff would be leaks of future show content, so like any other TV show that would have to be tagged.

Luckily unlike The Walking Dead, this is an adaption that to this point is been very faithful, so that's not as big of an issue to deal with as TWD.

Oh yeah obviously that stuff would be leaks of future show content, so like any other TV show that would have to be tagged.

Luckily unlike The Walking Dead, this is an adaption that to this point is been very faithful, so that's not as big of an issue to deal with as TWD.

It's crazy how that goes. Like the Walking Dead had a HUGE following, but for the most part the show and comic exists relatively separately and that's fine. True Blood is another example, where the show really just does it's own thing. I'm glad it's not the same for this.

Morrigan we need to talk about something very important:

your distaste of pretty boys.

OUT WITH IT.

Speaking from personal opinion here, but with Lancel I feel it has less to do with him being a pretty boy and more to do with him being an 80 pound, wispy haired twig. Seeing him nude was kind of gross. Other characters like Jon Snow pull off pretty boy well, but Lancel doesn't IMO.

Vyer

My personal opinion is that it's useless to look at it as "Just a TV show". It's not. It's an adaptation. The material is already spoken for. The answers are already established. The show certainly does add/subtract when necessary and to that extent the show is it's own entity, but honestly how many major events has it done that to? It's not like people are speculating on minor characters or anything. And I don't even want to correct these people or anything like that. Let them speculate away, you won't see me over there correcting anybody on anything. To me it just seems useless guessing at something that's already known.

I don't see why it's 'useless'. That's essentially saying there's no point in enjoying a tv show ( or movie ) for what it is. So much in entertainment is pulled from other source material that that kind of approach pretty much kills a lot of discussion/speculation on a lot of things. Not to mention that because they aren't exactly the same what applies in the book might not apply to the show.

Though, we've seen that some people have a hard time separating mediums, so I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised, but it seems a rather limiting view.

Lancel is also really dumb. Not in a "smart but makes stupid political mistakes" way like Robb/Ned but dumb in a "surprised he functions as a human being" way.

Lach

So is [ASOS]
Joffrey's Wedding the Season Finale? Or will it be next season?

Because [BIG ASOS SPOILERS]
it would probably do a lot to appease the pissed of viewers...

Leeness

Well, my sister finally watched the episode. I figured she wouldn't be much fun. But she texted me "Oh GOD. ROBBBBBBBB".

She was borderline not wanting to watch the show anymore and now she's done, other than (ASoS/next season spoilers)
wanting to watch Joffrey die.

Madness

So this will probably be one of the only posts I do here, until I inevitably read the books. I've not read anything you guys have written yet and so yes I am a show Watcher only. I have no aversion to reading, I love it. It's just I was introduced to the world through the show. I didn't know a single thing about the books. I knew they existed but that's about it. And so I don't want to cloud my vision of the show by reading the books which are almost always superior.

But yesterday I watched the 'Red Wedding' episode. I didn't even know it was called that. And I was speaking with a friend today since it was still on my mind. And when I brought up the horrific fate that befell Talisa. He told me it was unnecessary and that she didn't exist in the books and that it was someone else. Now I normally would NEVER ask, but I want to know, why didn't she exist in the books? And why did they replace who she was supposed to be? And did it have any bearing on what happened?

From what I remember in the show, Talisa is a foreign noble who works as a nurse for wounded. She was on the Lannister side, and needed supplies and Robb became smitten with her, and fell in love and accompanied her for supplies and he breaks his oath to Frey because of her.

How does the book portray his wife? And please, don't spoil any major event that might occur. And does this affect the story in any way? I'm asking because they're dead, I don't know if it'll impact the story at all. Thanks.

Snake

Lancel is also really dumb. Not in a "smart but makes stupid political mistakes" way like Robb/Ned but dumb in a "surprised he functions as a human being" way.

inZR9kW7dVFa0.gif

I've missed his antics this season.

Lach

So this will probably be one of the only posts I do here, until I inevitably read the books. I've not read anything you guys have written yet and so yes I am a show Watcher only. I have no aversion to reading, I love it. It's just I was introduced to the world through the show. I didn't know a single thing about the books. I knew they existed but that's about it. And so I don't want to cloud my vision of the show by reading the books which are almost always superior.

But yesterday I watched the 'Red Wedding' episode. I didn't even know it was called that. And I was speaking with a friend today since it was still on my mind. And when I brought up the horrific fate that befell Talisa. He told me it was unnecessary and that she didn't exist in the books and that it was someone else. Now I normally would NEVER ask, but I want to know, why didn't she exist in the books? And why did they replace who she was supposed to be? And did it have any bearing on what happened?

From what I remember in the show, Talisa is a foreign noble who works as a nurse for wounded. She was on the Lannister side, and needed supplies and Robb became smitten with her, and fell in love and accompanied her for supplies and he breaks his oath to Frey because of her.

How does the book portray his wife? And please, don't spoil any major event that might occur. And does this affect the story in any way? I'm asking because they're dead, I don't know if it'll impact the story at all. Thanks.
In the Books there was no Talisa. Robb was raiding in Lannister country and conquered a castle of Lord Westerling, a minor Lord and Bannerman of the Lannisters. He was injured in battle and nursed back by Lord Westerlings daughter, Jeyne Westerling. They fell in love and married...apart from that it's pretty much the same story. The other big difference is that Jeyne stayed at Riverrun when Robb and Company went to the wedding.
What has to be said, is that Robb is not a main character in the book. Every chapter is told through the POV of a character and Robb has non himself. In the book he's mainly in Catelyn's Chapters and through second hand reports (which are maybe distorted to some degree)...

Joni

In the books
he meets his wife (Jeyne Westerling) off-screen when she takes care of him after a big battle; he sleeps with her and he marries her out of duty. She (and her entire family) renounce their ties to the Lannisters and come with Robb to Riverrun where they all stay when Robb goes to the Red Wedding. They just replaced Jeyne with Talisa so we wouldn't have to worry about her entire family (who in the end are completely pointless in the books) and we wouldn't look too much in the fact the Westerlings were tied to the Lannisters, which in the end didn't really matter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In the books, "Talisa" is actually Jeyne Westerling, a Westerosi, of a small and terribly not so noteworthy house tied to House Lannister. Robb's van was laying siege in that area, during the time when Robb found out about Bran and Rickon. he was injured, and in a moment of grief had sex with Jeyne. Worried that he'd birth a bastard, and the effect he saw it happened on his own brother, Jon, and how his father neglected his duty to Jon's mother, he marries her out of honor. And not out of love.

Jeyne is mostly used a pawn to excuse Robb to do something stupid. She's barely developed in the books, and doesn't even attend the wedding. It's not even confirmed she was pregnant and is inconsequential post-RW.

The showrunners created Talisa because the RW is a heart clenching moment, and it would simply create for better television to give Robb's wife better backstory than Jeyne while also developing her as a character and wife as she takes her part in the RW. They killed her because Jeyne doesn't matter and killing her and Robb's unborn child would be that much more painful to watch.

As for the rest, many of us hate the change of Robb falling in love with Talisa. It changed his intentions of being an honorable and noble Stark trying to correct his father's past mistakes and be his father's son, to being a love struck horny and petty teenager which stains his character.

ASOS
I didn't hate it. I felt like Robb was a pretty flat character and I can see why they wanted to spice it up, particularly given that Richard Madden was pretty popular. I'm not 100% certain why they used some Volantine lady instead of a Westerosi though. I sort of wonder if they literally introduced her as a separate character for the sake of having her shanked; but they could have gotten Jeyne Westerling shanked too.

Madness

Damn. That sounds a lot better than the show lol.

Question,
couldn't this Westerling story have worked keeping most of it the same, while still changing it a bit like they had in the show?

I mean you write she nursed him back from being wounded and that he sleeps with her, and in the show, she's a nurse to Lannisters and she sleeps with Robb.

If his primary intention of marrying Jeyne was to not have a bastard in the sense like Ned did, righting his father's wrongs couldn't they have called Talisa, Jeyne, and have an extra scene in the tent the next morning when he wakes up and realizes it?

In the books does Robb love her like they showed he loves Talisa or was it more a duty to her?

I think it would have worked better because a primary scene in the show, has Karstark upset he's off with Talisa when a Lannister killed his son or that he's upset because Robb cares more about dead Lannisters than his son, and he could say you married someone affiliated with the Lannisters etc.

Was bringing her to the Red Wedding precisely for shock? Because I felt sick to my stomach when I saw what happened, especially after hearing about Little Ned Stark riding horses with his dad etc.

Thanks guys for that clarification. And that's precisely why I don't want to read the books lol, because I'd be nitpicking the hell out of things. I do it for every adaptation I watch where I've read the superior books.

Who is the ghost of winterfell? I know House Manderly is killing most of Welder Frey's sons, but the book mentions that the ghost of winterfell is also killing Freys.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Madness, yeah, I don't know why they diverted so much, they could have kept the Jeyne storyline more or less intact, and just showed it on-screen instead of [just ASoS stuff pre-RW]
the Crag siege, injury/nursing back to health/seduction stuff happening off-screen/page

I'm guessing they brought Talisa to the Red Wedding for the added drama of murdering her and her unborn baby, yeah. In the book Robb doesn't bring his wife to the wedding because he fears her presence would be insulting to Lord Frey.

Question,
couldn't this Westerling story have worked keeping most of it the same, while still changing it a bit like they had in the show?

I mean you write she nursed him back from being wounded and that he sleeps with her, and in the show, she's a nurse to Lannisters and she sleeps with Robb.

If his primary intention of marrying Jeyne was to not have a bastard in the sense like Ned did, righting his father's wrongs couldn't they have called Talisa, Jeyne, and have an extra scene in the tent the next morning when he wakes up and realizes it?

In the books does Robb love her like they showed he loves Talisa or was it more a duty to her?

I think it would have worked better because a primary scene in the show, has Karstark upset he's off with Talisa when a Lannister killed his son or that he's upset because Robb cares more about dead Lannisters than his son, and he could say you married someone affiliated with the Lannisters etc.

Was bringing her to the Red Wedding precisely for shock? Because I felt sick to my stomach when I saw what happened, especially after hearing about Little Ned Stark riding horses with his dad etc.

Thanks guys for that clarification. And that's precisely why I don't want to read the books lol, because I'd be nitpicking the hell out of things. I do it for every adaptation I watch where I've read the superior books.

ASOS
Book Robb does seem to love her, but it certainly did start out as him doing his duty. There's not really a lot of time spent with them.

And if I remember right, they originally were going call her Jeyne, but George requested they change her name for some reason.

Angry Grimace

Question,

It totally seems like a sense of duty in the book as opposed to love, but you have to remember we actually see very little of Robb's direct actions and interactions with anyone outside Catelyn's presence since Catelyn is the Point of View character and Robb is never a POV character.

We can only speculate as to why they didn't just make her "Jeyne Westerling, a Westerosi" as opposed to "Talisa, a Volantine," since there's nothing that seems like it would have been all that different.

Gila

Cross Posting

I have to read the books now... But I have to invest in a nice set with good covers and not the typical set you can find anywhere now like this:

$T2eC16dHJHQE9nzEzro8BRPfs)eqv!~~60_35.JPG

Looking for something else (not the Sean Bean one also)

Any recommendations?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Christ people on my facebook are weird.

"Last nights GoT still has me befuddled. I don't know if I feel "consternation, rage or more like melancholy, exhaustion and a feeling of shellshock." I get that people had to die, but was the slaughter of the animals really necessary?"

Stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach repeatedly = I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND

Shooting a threatening wolf that will kill people = WHY GOD WHY
Priorities lol

ramyeon

Cross Posting

I have to read the books now... But I have to invest in a nice set with good covers and not the typical set you can find anywhere now like this:

$T2eC16dHJHQE9nzEzro8BRPfs)eqv!~~60_35.JPG

Looking for something else (not the Sean Bean one also)

Any recommendations?
What's wrong with those covers? They're probably the best of what I've seen for sale around here, the only others being the show tie-in ones.

This was the first book series I bought entirely on Kindle though.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Question,

I replied to you in the other thread about something similar to this, but it's a neat coincidence that when Robb first takes Talisa with him it's when he's going to negotiate the surrender of The Crag, which is the castle of his wife in the books. He definitely likes his wife in the books, but it's different to Talisa in the show; to start off with, both characters are younger in the books, so it's more like puppy-love. That element of atoning for a moment of weakness (injured, in enemy territory and receiving word that his brothers are dead) also plays a part.

Taking Talisa to the wedding was probably in part due to the underdevelopment of the other Northern lords there (even those who were named in S1), so they needed another character the audience recognises to match the brutality of the scene in the books. Also, since the they figured they wouldn't use the character going forwards (and wouldn't have the books to draw from since they changed her), it allowed them to reduce the cast.

Lastly, I never got the impression that Talisa was affiliated with the Lannisters in any way. She was just a neutral field medic who followed the battles, helping both sides.

Gila

What's wrong with those covers? They're probably the best of what I've seen for sale around here, the only others being the show tie-in ones.

This was the first book series I bought entirely on Kindle though.

I'm not a fan of them, I like having exclusive copies (if there even are any) and I don't mind paying for it

I'm not a fan of them, I like having exclusive copies (if there even are any) and I don't mind paying for it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Game-of-T...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEORGE-R-R-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

edit - i have one of these http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-g...eorge-r-r-martin/1106660131?ean=9780307292094

Only the first book. I also have the oversized versions of the covers you posted, but I mostly just read the books on kindle. There are also some alternate non-HBO branded covers you can find. The best covers are usually only available outside the US though, from what i've seen

Regarding Robb's....
body , do you guys believe they are going to sow grey wind's head into his body next episode?

That would be totally twisting the knife lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom