• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some book readers have been fucking with that thread since S1. It shouldn't be that hard to understand the desire for people to just want to be able to watch a TV show as a TV show. I don't blame the mods for finally having to go so extreme.

I recently saw some of the posts after Ned died and man some people were annoying. That thread really should just exist exclusively for non readers only.

Some book readers have been fucking with that thread since S1. It shouldn't be that hard to understand the desire for people to just want to be able to watch a TV show as a TV show. I don't blame the mods for finally having to go so extreme.

Yeah, well, this isn't going to stop the book readers who are assholes and want to post spoilers as speculation. I'm not sure it's going to do anything to calm down the angry mob over there either.

IJoel

I remember reading through the Red Wedding in the book. It was utterly depressing, and it only fueled my desire to keep reading the next book (A Feast For Crows)
just waiting for that sweet sweet revenge to come

And again, so what? Somebody getting the name of a character wrong doesn't justify what book readers have been doing since day one. Her name could be sugar tits the dragon rider, who gives a fuck?

....because that's not the characters name.

I'm not justifying anything, never said that anywhere. Never did I say that people should be over there gloating/spoiling/ect. Fully against that.

Even if you don't spoil anything per se, it's still pretty douchey to swing by the thread and throw around your book reader superiority. NOBODY over there wants to know that the band was lousy in the book version, or they'd already know it, because they would've read the books.

Oh, by the way, Robb isn't 15 in the show... just a reminder to the two or three dinguses who have pointed out Book Robb's age in No Book Thread over the last 24 hours.

....because that's not the characters name.

I'm not justifying anything, never said that anywhere. Never did I say that people should be over there gloating/spoiling/ect. Fully against that.

Then why are you talking? You see the way people from this thread are acting over there and the only justification you have for jumping in the " fuck those guys" camp is that people got the names wrong. Or that people over there don't know all the details you do. Again, so what? Why does it matter?

traveler

Not Wario
The fact that a dedicated reaction thread exists is way more of a spoiler than any of the added book detail readers were bringing in.

Then why are you talking? You see the way people from this thread are acting over there and the only justification you have for jumping in the " fuck those guys" camp is that people got the names wrong. Or that people over there don't know all the details you do. Again, so what? Why does it matter?

Again, you're making up something like I said something like "Yeah, fuck those guys we should be able to spoil/gloat". I never said that.

What I did say however is that 99% of their "speculation" is useless, and most don't really have the wherewithal to remember character names from an episode they just watched, from a series they've been watching since episode 1, which is mind numbing. Just leads to more misinformation.

People over there are trying to be helpful, to clarify, to help bring a greater understanding of the show. And they are getting shit on because of it.

They want so badly to believe that the books don't exist. But that's just not the case.

The "state of shock" people are in over there has brought all of this to a new, absurd level.

Burt

And again, so what? Somebody getting the name of a character wrong doesn't justify what book readers have been doing since day one. Her name could be sugar tits the dragon rider, who gives a fuck?
If you don't want book readers in the other thread answering questions, pointing out errors stemming from inattentiveness, and reiterating elements of the story that have been gone over and been constant throughout the book, you shouldn't come in here and start arguments, either. There are asshole book readers that love to lord stuff over watchers, but they'll get dealt with over time. That doesn't mean you should come in here and start throwing blanket statements and picking fights. If we can't go in your thread, you should stay out of ours.

And considering the length of time the books have been out and the amount of time the series has been on (and the corresponding amount of Internet coverage), thinking Dany's name is "Khaleesi" or Drogo's is "Carl" is like saying "Dark Vader". No one really gives a fuck, but that doesn't mean we can't laugh at it. Just like we would if someone thought her name was sugar tits the dragon rider.

All I see is how people from that thread are acting over here.

The justification for the "fuck those guys" camp is that the spoilerphobia has been taken to extremes. You talk about how we're a Simpsons nerd thread made real, but people over there are the ones calling for bans when someone answers a question that someone just asked, or mentions the name of a house that hasn't even brought into the show yet, or talks about what's on a houses fucking heraldry or some insignificant speck like that.

Plasmid

Awesome episode, even outside the wedding. I particularly liked the Bran stuff this episode.

ASOS
I still think Cat's resurrection will be shown next episode, and judging by the reactions this episode is receiving from some TV viewers, I'm not sure how anyone can fault the showrunners.

Hell no, make it the last scene of season 4.

ultron87

The fact that a dedicated reaction thread exists is way more of a spoiler than any of the added book detail readers were bringing in.

Eh, I feel like possibly finding out that something big happens in an episode before you watch it is just an acceptable consequence of not watching stuff live but still interacting with the Internet.

I doubt anyone would see that and still not be shocked by just how complete and devastating the slaughter is.

Massa

Again, you're making up something like I said something like "Yeah, fuck those guys we should be able to spoil/gloat". I never said that.

What I did say however is that 99% of their "speculation" is useless, and most don't really have the wherewithal to remember character names from an episode they just watched, from a series they've been watching since episode 1, which is mind numbing. Just leads to more misinformation.

People over there are trying to be helpful, to clarify, to help bring a greater understanding of the show. And they are getting shit on because of it.

They want so badly to believe that the books don't exist. But that's just not the case.

The "state of shock" people are in over there has brought all of this to a new, absurd level.

No, the state of that thread is what brought it to this level. People have been posting spoilers and in the form of "clarification" for far too long, despite constant requests for that to not happen.

Unfortunately a lot of people are too stupid to follow the rules of the thread while clarifying what happened in the actual show.

Honestly, if you like Game of Thrones and you've used the internet within the last 24 hours you know something gigantic went down that was completely devastating, if not know exactly what happened already

If you don't want book readers in the other thread answering questions, pointing out errors stemming from inattentiveness, and reiterating elements of the story that have been gone over and been constant throughout the book, you shouldn't come in here and start arguments, either. There are asshole book readers that love to lord stuff over watchers, but they'll get dealt with over time. That doesn't mean you should come in here and start throwing blanket statements and picking fights. If we can't go in your thread, you should stay out of ours.

And considering the length of time the books have been out and the amount of time the series has been on (and the corresponding amount of Internet coverage), thinking Dany's name is "Khaleesi" or Drogo's is "Carl" is like saying "Dark Vader". No one really gives a fuck, but that doesn't mean we can't laugh at it. Just like we would if someone thought her name was sugar tits the dragon rider.

All I see is how people from that thread are acting over here.

I'm sorry, I must have just made up the two pages I read where people here were calling people in the other thread insane. Maybe you need to go back and read it and then we can have a nice chat about sugar tits the dragon rider.

No, the state of that thread is what brought it to this level. People have been posting spoilers and in the form of "clarification" for far too long, despite constant requests for that to not happen.

Then honestly, when people have questions they need to be redirected elsewhere, that's all. Here if they want to risk it, a wiki of ice and fire, tower of the hand (which allows you to tailor your experience there depending on what you've read/saw). The people who are purposely posting facts as "speculation" need to GTFO. But there are so many simple questions that aren't going to ruin the enjoyment of the show at all if it's answered.

Burt

I'm sorry, I must have just made up the two pages I read where people here were calling people in the other thread insane. Maybe you need to go back and read it and then we can have a nice chat about sugar tits the dragon rider.

As per my edit, they have gotten crazy over spoilers. Not the "lording it over cause I'm a book-reader" type of spoilers, just answering questions and reiterating what's gone on in the series has people freaking. I could go over there and say, "Dany is alive next week" and get my ass banned. She didn't die this week, so she'll be there next week unless there's some way they can kill her when the show isn't actually airing, but I RUINED NEXT WEEK BY STATING FACTS THAT ARE OBVIOUS THROUGH WATCHING FUCK MEEEEEEEEEEE

That's a load of bullshit. No one is going "oh wow I wish these books didn't exist!", that's stupid. What people are saying is "stop coming over to the thread and fucking it up for the rest of us who haven't read the books" and nobody is listening. If they were then Bish wouldn't have a body count.

ultron87

Do Westeros years even line up with our years? Like couldn't Robb be 15 in Westeros years but be older than that since years are longer due to long winters and whatnot? Or do years progress independent of the seasons?

I have a question that doesn't involve boring debates about different GoT-related threads.

Was it even mentioned why Renly was born so much later than his brothers? I know he was supposed to be younger, but he's over a decade younger than Robert or Stannis.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do Westeros years even line up with our years? Like couldn't Robb be 15 in Westeros years but be older than that since years are longer due to long winters and whatnot? Or do years progress independent of the seasons?

On the show I just like to assume time passes at whatever rate makes their real life ages the same as the show, even though it makes no sense at all with regards to Bran, unless Westeros takes years to cross on foot.

That's a load of bullshit. No one is going "oh wow I wish these books didn't exist!", that's stupid. What people are saying is "stop coming over to the thread and fucking it up for the rest of us who haven't read the books" and nobody is listening. If they were then Bish wouldn't have a body count.

I've seen multiple times "In here, the books don't exist".

A guy got banned over there for mentioning that he was a book reader and asking how they ended the episode. He then got absolutely berated for it. If he hadn't mentioned that he was a book reader he'd probably be alive. That's unbelievable.

Loofy

All this talk about being overly violent I wonder if HBO actually went through with a scene in the next episode where the freys...
Cut off Greywinds head and sow it on to rob starks corpse. The Young Wolf.
Thats gonna gonna get PETA writing letters...

I have a question that doesn't involve boring debates about different GoT-related threads.

Was it even mentioned why Renly was born so much later than his brothers? I know he was supposed to be younger, but he's over a decade younger than Robert or Stannis.

I don't know why that's so weird. I'm a decade younger than my sister. Of course, my parents had better options for birth control but still.

All this talk about being overly violent I wonder if HBO will actually went through with a scene in the next episode where the freys...
Cut off grey winds head and sow it on to rob starks body. The Young Wolf.
Thats gonna gonna get PETA writing letters...

[ASOS]
I could be wrong but I vagely remembering hearing something about how they actually made that, so I'm thinking we'll see it

I don't know why that's so weird. I'm a decade younger than my sister. Of course, my parents had better options for birth control but still.

It's a minor point, just seems weird since Robert and Stannis were born a year apart.

Also maybe I'm reading it wrong but was Rhaegar born 25 years before Dany? That's kind of weird.

lexi

Banned
I'm a book reader who read the books years ago and hasn't read ADWD yet. I barely remember anything but the most major-est of events from the books I have read.

I can't really post in either thread. I feel I belong more talking with show-watchers but I'll be exiled and Theon'ed if I so much as mention that I've read a book.

A guy got banned over there for mentioning that he was a book reader and asking how they ended the episode. He then got absolutely berated for it. If he hadn't mentioned that he was a book reader he'd probably be alive. That's unbelievable.

Actually, while asking how they ended the episode he also mentioned events that happen early in the next episode (based on the preview).

As per my edit, they have gotten crazy over spoilers. Not the "lording it over cause I'm a book-reader" type of spoilers, just answering questions and reiterating what's gone on in the series has people freaking. I could go over there and say, "Dany is alive next week" and get my ass banned. She didn't die this week, so she'll be there next week, but I RUINED NEXT WEEK BY STATING FACTS THAT ARE OBVIOUS THROUGH WATCHING FUCK MEEEEEEEEEEE

Can you blame them? This speculation shit has been going on since season one. Three fucking years. What the fuck do people get from trying to ruin an experience for someone else? It's bullshit.

When you have people going "oh! Watch episode 10, some shit is going down!". Especially after some book readers spoiled this episode for a lot of people, I don't think you can say that those folks are out of line by being upset. Especially when you see people in here going "omfg the book is like 10 years old!" The tv series isn't 10 years old and its fucked up to blow parts of a story people are buoying just to do it. If I walked up to you while you were first reading one of the books and blew major plot points because I'd already read the books, that would make me an asshole. Especially if my defense was "but the book has been out for a while now!" It's bullshit, all around.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's a minor point, just seems weird since Robert and Stannis were born a year apart.

Also maybe I'm reading it wrong but was Rhaegar born 25 years before Dany? That's kind of weird.

I actually don't know the answer, but it doesn't seem like it would be that weird in-universe. Old people get hitched to super young people all the time in this universe and are immediately trying to reproduce.

Cyan

Banned
I've never seen so many people so up in arms over something as friendly and non-threatening as a little ribbing over someone finally experiencing something amazing that you also got to experience. it's about connecting to your fellow man, vicariously living through their experiences, and then laughing about it together afterwards. I totally agree with the spoilering shit, and with the spamming, but the friendly "haha, it just got real, didn't it show watchers" - which is really the median of what every post from the book readers is about - is just something I can't agree with. That's just too sensitive.

Do you really tell your friends to lay off you when they're teasing you about something like that? It's so harmless and playful and from a place of love, not hate.

I totally get this, man. I definitely understand that book-readers who'd been sitting on this knowledge for years really wanted to see how people would react in real-time, wanted to see if there'd be explosions and freakouts, wanted to finally get to talk about the scene with those who hadn't read the books yet. I've been there with other books, other shows.

But here's what it felt like from the other side (may include hyperbole--those were some raw fuckin feels):

Show-watcher: "OMG NOOOOOOOOO!"
Book-reader: "hahahaha, I love your tears and laugh at your misery!"

SW: "I'm never watching this show again!"
BR: "Aw, is baby gonna cry? Should we call the waaahmbulance?"

SW: "How could they do this to Robb, he was my favorite character and a good guy!"
BR: "lol you fucking idiot, Robb isn't even a POV character and there are no happy endings."

SW: "I hate Walter Frey, he's evil!"
BR: "Hey dipshit, there are no evil characters, only shades of gray. Also you spelled his name wrong. Loser."

SW: "Oh no, how are the remaining Starks ever going to get back together?"
BR: "*sigh*, if you'd bothered to pay attention, you'd know that [lengthy paragraphs about stuff you couldn't possibly know just from watching the show]"

The intermittent descent of the other thread into bickering about what constitutes spoilers is, frankly, fucking tiresome, and I don't blame the book readers for getting annoyed about the whole witch-hunt. But it was also really disappointing to go into that thread after the big event wanting to commiserate and talk about the shock and horror of it all, only to have half the posts (may be an exaggeration) be book-readers laughing or belittling or otherwise not being very understanding of people's raw emotions. (Also, goodness, can we stop assuming that any time someone is thinking aloud and ends a sentence with a question mark, they want a book reader to swoop in and answer them?) Again, I don't think we need all book-readers to never post again, but we do need to try to use common sense and common courtesy.

All that said, many thanks to you folks for carefully holding your tongues prior to the Wedding, and/or actively trying to keep spoilers away from the other thread. I really appreciate that only a few of us got spoiled.

P.S. [no actual spoilers]
Ben G, you're awesome and all, but good Christ man, why would you spam the other thread with Grinches while the fucking thing was happening?

That's not what you said. You said people want to believe the books don't exist, which is absurd and is not a defense against people wanting to enjoy the tv show as just that; a tv show, without a clown car full of story-spoiling assholes just waiting to pile out and fuck it up for everybody.

This is also made 500 times worse by people from this thread fucking with people because they were shocked at what happened. There were literally people saying shit like "your tears sustain me!" That's borderline sickening.

I think it is mostly that the capacity to makes inferences or to mislead is extremely overestimated.

If someone would comment a minute before the show starts saying: "I hope something interesting happens tonight" it really means nothing. But if someone says: " I loved ASOS, I hope something interesting happens tonight". There would be an uproar claiming that was enough for the audience to infer what was going to happen. But that's not true, cognitive biases will lead us to believe that we did infer, but it isn't happening.

What's important, however, is that the enjoyment of the show can be affected, even if is all in our imagination.

Massa

There's also "What a bunch of whiny babies threatening to quit the show, that's ridiculous!" when a bunch of people did the exact same thing when they read the events in the books, they stopped reading for days if not months.

Burt

Can you blame them? This speculation shit has been going on since season one. Three fucking years. What the fuck do people get from trying to ruin an experience for someone else? It's bullshit.

When you have people going "oh! Watch episode 10, some shit is going down!". Especially after some book readers spoiled this episode for a lot of people, I don't think you can say that those folks are out of line by being upset. Especially when you see people in here going "omfg the book is like 10 years old!" The tv series isn't 10 years old and its fucked up to blow parts of a story people are buoying just to do it. If I walked up to you while you were first reading one of the books and blew major plot points because I'd already read the books, that would make me an asshole. Especially if my defense was "but the book has been out for a while now!" It's bullshit, all around.

That quote is pretty much all the argument I want to make.

Other than that, stop addressing me like I'm the one purposely shitting up your book thread. Coming in here and justifying shitting up our thread by saying "You shit up my thread" isn't justifying anything. The people that are messing with others in there'll be dealt with, and nothing you say in here will speed that process up at all.

Angry Grimace

Book readers vs. show watchers is a truly terrible sight to behold, in every sense of the word "terrible."

That's not what you said. You said people want to believe the books don't exist, which is absurd and is not a defense against people wanting to enjoy the tv show as just that; a tv show, without a clown car full of story-spoiling assholes just waiting to pile out and fuck it up for everybody.

Saying "in here the books don't exist" is essentially the same thing. Now you're just nitpicking

They can certainly enjoy it as a tv show, but the fact remains that they aren't watching something that is wholly original here.

You keep going back to the people spoiling stuff thing like I'm defending those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom