• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all book readers are story spoiling assholes now?
The ones that feel the need to give information that had not been in the show would tend to fall into that category. If someone posts a question it doesn't mean that they need 15 people who've read the books to tell the entire history of Westeros. Some of the book readers have been gleeful about fucking up this story for people and its been happening for THREE YEARS STRAIGHT. Can you honestly blame people for being pissed?

Zeliard

Agree 100%. Whats the point of all their useless speculation? 99% of the time they're wrong.

If this mentality is prevalent in this thread it would certainly explain why some people here can't keep their grubby mitts out of the other thread. :p

Speculation should be often wrong. That's why it's called speculation. How many people's Lost theories were laughably wrong through the show's run? It was still fun to discuss them - more fun even than the show itself. People don't need their speculation clarified or corrected by anything but the show itself.

Peace and love, mangs. Let's not turn the OT into our own little Westeros.

Saying "in here the books don't exist" is essentially the same thing. Now you're just nitpicking

They can certainly enjoy it as a tv show, but the fact remains that they aren't watching something that is wholly original here.

You keep going back to the people spoiling stuff thing like I'm defending those people.

So it's not wholly original? So I ask again, so what? So fucking what? Most everything isn't original. What's your point?

You may not be defending them but you're certainly acting like the same type of person who has been shitting up those threads for three years based on your comments about people getting names wrong. Especially getting Sugar-Tits the Dragon Rider's name wrong.

You don't even seem to understand why people would speculate and your reasoning is based on the fact that you know more about the story than they do because you read the books. Have you not ever talked to your friends about a show and been like "man it would be cool if they did this or this"? Now, imagine if some asshole busted into your conversation and literally spoiled the story for you JUST BECAUSE they knew where it was going. THAT is what's been happening for three years.

UraMallas

Well put, Cyan.

Another thing, you can't draw a parallel between friendly ribbing between friends and going into that thread and making comments. Don't be that guy at the Gamestop that walks up to me when I'm buying a GameCube game to tell me how shit the GameCube is. You're not my friend. I don't know you and I certainly don't care to hear your opinion on any subject.

Friendly ribbing only works when you are actually friends with people. You know how your friends will take something. You know how to say it to them. It's more about common decency. Someone's apathy towards this fact shows their lack of empathy

Burt

I feel like a gif of Catelyn's whole "No revenge, no reprisal" argument while she had Frey's wife seized up would fit pretty well into the conversation at this point. Then again, we all saw how that ended.

OR DID I JUST SPOIL SOMEONE'S DAY?!?

If this mentality is prevalent in this thread it would certainly explain why some people here can't keep their grubby mitts out of the other thread. :p

Speculation should be often wrong. That's why it's called speculation. How many people's Lost theories were laughably wrong through the show's run? It was still fun to discuss them - more fun even than the show itself. People don't need their speculation clarified or corrected by anything but the show itself.

Peace and love, mangs. Let's not turn the OT into our own little Westeros.

The difference between "Lost" and this is that the answers are already available. You can't compare a television show that's an original work to a television show based on novels. It's not discussing something that's not there. It's not like speculating on TWOW.

I've never posted in that thread.

jett

D-Member
Meh, the only thing these shenanigans has revealed is that the TV watchers didn't deserve our consideration and our effort in concealing the best moments in the books. I'm not going to start spoiling people or anything but I will definitely stop giving a fuck if I see another poster's botched spoiler tags.

Zeliard

The difference between "Lost" and this is that the answers are already available. You can't compare a television show that's an original work to a television show based on novels. It's not discussing something that's not there. It's not like speculating on TWOW.

But that's the whole point of that thread. It serves as a way for the TV show watchers to discuss and speculate on the basis of the show alone, regardless of the fact that it's adapted from existing source material. That's the whole reason it exists.

No one is defending nor supporting going into the non book reader thread and spoiling them. How many times do we have to tell you this? Holy shit.
That has been what has been happening constantly. And the attitude displayed here for the last few pages calling people in the other thread cry babies was uncalled for. Sorry if I offended you but I'm not going to sit here and let you guys call a group of people I converse with a bunch of babies without saying something. Especially since the people in the other thread didn't deserve to have such a big moment spoiled.

massoluk

Banned
I say it's a fucking miracle there's like no Snape Dumbledore moment in the entire USA regarding this spoiler between book readers and show watchers.

So he mentioned a preview for episode 10 that I think it's safe to assume that everybody watching the episode saw?

The preview is considered spoilers in all these TV threads and asking "did X happen in this episode" would be a spoiler even in this thread.

Look, I don't think spoilers have any effect on my enjoyment of a book, TV show, or movie (I knew about Dumbledore, The Red Wedding, and a bunch of other things in advance) as knowing something and experiencing it are different and think people who whine about them constantly are douchebags who I'd prefer not to associate with but there are rules and people should be smart enough to follow them. That doesn't mean we can't have arguments over whether they're ridiculous or not.

So it's not wholly original? So I ask again, so what? So fucking what? Most everything isn't original. What's your point?

You may not be defending them but you're certainly acting like the same type of person who has been shitting up those threads for three years based on your comments about people getting names wrong. Especially getting Sugar-Tits the Dragon Rider's name wrong.

Great, I've never posted in that thread, I've never spoiled anything for anyone on this site. So get off your high horse and stop accusing me of something I've never done. People who can't even get the names right on a show they've been watching for the last couple of months/years floor me.

Lamel

Banned
I was thinking of reading the books. I am caught up to all the seasons. Should I start the books from the beginning, or just move on with the 4th one?

Moaradin

I don't understand. There is already a unmarked book spoiler thread, and there is a no book spoiler thread. This one should be served as middle ground.

jett

D-Member
I say it's a fucking miracle there's like no Snape Dumbledore moment in the entire USA regarding this spoiler between book readers and show watchers.

The non-readers are lucky this event has an actual name. Even if you had read "Red Wedding" somewhere in the last ten years there's no way you'd know what it was about or even remember reading it.

That has been what has been happening constantly. And the attitude displayed here for the last few pages calling people in the other thread cry babies was uncalled for. Sorry if I offended you but I'm not going to sit here and let you guys call a group of people I converse with a bunch of babies without saying something. Especially since the people in the other thread didn't deserve to have such a big moment spoiled.

They *are* insufferable cry-babies.

Great, I've never posted in that thread, I've never spoiled anything for anyone on this site. So get off your high horse and stop accusing me of something I've never done. People who can't even get the names right on a show they've been watching for the last couple of months/years floor me.
So I just made up what I was replying to? That wasn't you joining in with the bullshit?

Glad we clarified that.

And her name is Kelly C, also known as Sugar-Tits the Dragon Rider.

My problem with some of the banning is that a couple were the equivalent of banning a poster from a spoiler free Bioshock Infinite thread because she mentioned that System shock 2 existed, and that it was better.

What is show Robb's age? I honestly have no idea and would have used the book age if asked.

He's listed as 17 in the original pilot script, but Joffrey is listed as 13 in that script and then referenced as 17 in season 2.

Richard Madden is blatantly not 15, or 17 for that matter though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hey guys I am watching Star Wars for the first time, kindly cease all discussion of the entire saga until I am finished four years from now. Also I will ask you questions and then ask a mod to ban you for answering it. Thanks in advance.

Dude, if you've been paying attention, we're calling them babies for acting like petulant children - not regards to actual spoilers - to minuscule details and tepid minutiae. You keep bringing up spoilers and shit, when we're making fun of their complete tight assedness about things that AREN'T spoilers. How in the world have you not comprehended this? I'm starting to see exactly WHY you haven't read the books and it's not looking pretty.

Oh I see. Now you're inferring I can't read because YOU can't understand why people would see an info dump in a thread, that contains information the show never presented, as a spoiler? Why don't you just come out and say you think I'm stupid instead of being a pussy about it?

Now, why don't we talk about something we can agree on? People who post spoilers and then claim "it's speculation" are assholes. People who want to fuck up someone's enjoyment of something like a story just to do it are assholes. Agreed?

GhaleonEB

Well put, Cyan.

Another thing, you can't draw a parallel between friendly ribbing between friends and going into that thread and making comments. Don't be that guy at the Gamestop that walks up to me when I'm buying a GameCube game to tell me how shit the GameCube is. You're not my friend. I don't know you and I certainly don't care to hear your opinion on any subject.

Friendly ribbing only works when you are actually friends with people. You know how your friends will take something. You know how to say it to them. It's more about common decency. Someone's apathy towards this fact shows their lack of empathy

I'd also note that even friendly ribbing can be entirely unwelcome when the emotions are so raw. This shit went down last night. Going by my own reaction to the book, and from the reactions that erupted right away online due the sheer shock of the event, people were understandably sensitive. When you're in the immediate aftershock of something like that, even friendly ribbing isn't going to feel so friendly when you're on the receiving end.

Now, a ways down the road when (non-specific ASoS potential spoilers)
the scales are evened a bit when it comes less beloved characters meeting their demise and Cat's fate is revealed
, or even with a bit of time passing, people are going to be more welcoming or at least understanding of some ribbing. "Remember how fucked up you were after the Red Wedding? That was some serious shit, wow."

To paraphrase Sean Bean's Boromir, give them a moment, for pity's sake!

Burt

ADWD
Everyone just start talking like this until he leaves. It's not even worth arguing about anymore. Let's see if he can abide by his principles.

Hey guys I am watching Star Wars for the first time, kindly cease all discussion of the entire saga until I am finished four years from now. Also I will ask you questions and then ask a mod to ban you for answering it. Thanks in advance.

People shouldn't mention the movies because I'm reading the novels based on the movies and would rather not know anything that is movie-canon but not necessarily book-canon.

But that's the whole point of that thread. It serves as a way for the TV show watchers to discuss and speculate on the basis of the show alone, regardless of the fact that it's adapted from existing source material. That's the whole reason it exists.

My personal opinion is that it's useless to look at it as "Just a TV show". It's not. It's an adaptation. The material is already spoken for. The answers are already established. The show certainly does add/subtract when necessary and to that extent the show is it's own entity, but honestly how many major events has it done that to? It's not like people are speculating on minor characters or anything. And I don't even want to correct these people or anything like that. Let them speculate away, you won't see me over there correcting anybody on anything. To me it just seems useless guessing at something that's already known.

jett

D-Member
ADWD
Everyone just start talking like this until he leaves. It's not even worth arguing about anymore. Let's see if he can abide by his principles.

lol

I hope THE BOOK SPOILERS THREAD NEVER FORGETS this bullshit and we all agree on full, blown out unmarked spoilers next year. Let's see how the non-readers enjoy being stuck in their crappy, usually dead thread.

Kalnos

Banned
ADWD

KuGsj.gif

iammeiam

I was thinking of reading the books. I am caught up to all the seasons. Should I start the books from the beginning, or just move on with the 4th one?

This season only takes you halfway through book three, so even if you're the world's slowest reader DO NOT try to jump from season three to book four. You'll miss so much good stuff. Starting from the beginning is best, tho.

ADWD

[ADWD]
He's the white knight of the non-book thread! Come to argue spoilers with people who are also against spoilers!

Cyan

Banned
The intermittent descent of the other thread into bickering about what constitutes spoilers is, frankly, fucking tiresome...

Oh dear, didn't realize this had also migrated over here to such an extent. Didn't mean to be piling on.

Fellow show-watchers: I think maybe we should take a breath, and remember that, honestly, nobody was trying to be malicious, and maybe take a little break from arguing about it. Hmm? (he said somewhat hypocritically :p)

Definitely read 'em all. It's worth it. I watched season 1 before I started reading them and contemplated skipping ahead as well, but I'm glad I didn't.

I hope THE BOOK SPOILERS THREAD NEVER FORGETS this bullshit and we all agree on full, blown out unmarked spoilers next year. Let's see how the non-readers enjoy being stuck in their crappy, usually dead thread.

The Book Spoilers Thread! The Book Spoilers Thread! The Book Spoilers Thread!

To the person who asked if they should start reading with the 4th book: absolutely not. For one, the current season of the show has only covered the first 2/3 of the 3rd book. And while the show is good it doesn't contain the sheer amount of information in the books. You'll be missing important knowledge about the history of Westeros and certain characters and events.

Pkaz01

I am disappointed a lot of people that only watch the show feel arya is just all talk.. maybe its impatience at this point but fuck give her something to do already

Burt

To the person who asked if they should start reading with the 4th book: absolute not. For one, the current season of the show has only covered the first 2/3 of the 3rd book. And while the show is good it doesn't contain the sheer amount of information in the books. You'll be missing important knowledge about the history of Westeros and certain characters and events.
Agreed. I actually skipped AGOT, but the differences even from then on have been... stark. They've cut out huge important swathes of what makes certain characters who they are, interesting recent history that I'm sure is going to be absolutely vital in the next two books, and some really great dialogue that they just couldn't fit into a television format.

ADWD
oh god I'm so sorry for that pun I couldn't resist I should probably go to bed now

Calamari41

41 > 38
I am disappointed a lot of people that only watch the show feel arya is just all talk.. maybe its impatience at this point but fuck give her something to do already

I agree because (ASOS spoilers, it all happens before this episode but I don't want a non-reader to accidentally click the wrong thread and see.)
She has quite a hefty kill count by now in the books. Hell, during the beheading she is swinging Needle around at people as she sprints to Ned.

ADWD

ASOS
This made me chuckle. I love it. I'm not even a book reader, it seemed apparent however. So now I'm just adding a bit of gibberish so it looks like an actual discussion, you don't have t read from this point onwards, thought I will just keep writing. At least I have the common courtesy of writing full sentences that make sense. I do not think it would be enough to just bash the keyboard a leave whatever comes out of it.

ACOK
Another reason as to why they should have had her kill the guard. Stupid story planning on the showrunners part.

[ACOK]
Yeah, really bad fuck up overall there on that part of the story, even with the Jaqen H'ghar part as well

[ASOS]
Who is Arya going to kill now that the tickler is dead?

Lamel

Banned
The books will take like a week each. You can easily do them all between seasons.

This season only takes you halfway through book three, so even if you're the world's slowest reader DO NOT try to jump from season three to book four. You'll miss so much good stuff. Starting from the beginning is best, tho.

The show misses a lot, so from the beginning.

Just bought the book 1-4 set from amazon. Thanks! Can't wait to dig in.

UraMallas

I am out of this particular conversation before it gets ugly but I definitely think it is a great thing to show some empathy and decency to the non-book readers. A large majority of them are up in arms. That should tell you all you need to know about the general emotion of that thread right now.

What does a book reader add to a thread based around speculation? Commenting is fine. I just commented on a funny post over there. I'm all for that, but I don't see what a book reader can honestly add to an actual conversation like the one that is trying to be organically made in that thread. Clarification oftentimes tears down the discussion in that thread. I see it happen sometimes. I find a lot of their theories interesting and then a non-book reader might do what Cyan mentioned and 'wonder aloud' and in comes a 'helpful' book reader to clarify/kill the issue.

It's not everybody. Some people comment and stay out of the actual discussion. Book readers that actively (as opposed to passively) participate in the open forum discussion of that thread muddy the waters. It has to be a nightmare for mods to keep this straight but I think it's a truly great service NeoGAF is providing that is hard to find on the interwebs for this show. There was just a comment on the last page about how a non-book reader comes here for the Thrones discussion because of how that thread is, in principal, handled.

I think I understand what that thread is for and what it facilitates. I just get the feeling some book readers in this thread either don't understand or don't care enough. Again, apathy on the subject shows the lack of empathy.

Edit: And Cyan posted as I was typing my thesis. This will be my last words on the subject for some time, then. Let's all break bread together to show our sincerity. ;)

The show took out a lot of what she did at Harrenhal and replaced it with Tywin scenes. While I enjoyed the scenes, they somewhat cheapened Tywin. He knew that Arya was the highborn daughter of a northern lord, and that she was well versed in history (and could likely read and write). Tywin's first thought is that she could easily send his confidential battle plans and strategies to Robb if she wanted to. Or that he could use her as a hostage. But that's a whole other issue. Point is, Arya's arc was cheapened in the second season.

It's also a bit disappointing that so many show viewers hate Stannis, but I actually think it's a testament to the strength of his adaptation. Everyone seems to think he's boring and unlikeable; exactly how Stannis should come off.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wait, honest question, we have to block out book spoilers that describe things that have happened by where the show is now timeline-wise?

My favorite part of the books that are cut - the location history - is the probably the biggest blow. Every location has a history to it, that's developed and makes the world feel real. Martin really did outdo Tolkien, and the breath of his world is seen in the locations and their rich histories as much as the characters.

Such a shame the tv shows only offer a mere taste and it's part of the reason I wholly suggest any tv fan read the books.

Lamel, start with Game of Thrones, you won't regret it.

ASOS
Polliver is just a good choice as any.

ASOS
Sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just dumbed it down and made it some random Lannister guards. Doubt show-only people would know/care who Polliver is, however the Tickler was definitely a prominent character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom