• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seance

Banned
Watching youtube reaction vids:

p7JN6jH.gif

Am I a bad person for laughing during the red wedding AND not having read the book?

anaron

Christ people on my facebook are weird.

"Last nights GoT still has me befuddled. I don't know if I feel "consternation, rage or more like melancholy, exhaustion and a feeling of shellshock." I get that people had to die, but was the slaughter of the animals really necessary?"

Stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach repeatedly = I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND

Shooting a threatening wolf that will kill people = WHY GOD WHY

becuz Greywind>>>>>>>Talisa

filler

Banned
Non-book reader here requesting to be spoiled. Would anyone care to let me in on some of the upcoming events in the show?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Non-book reader here requesting to be spoiled. Would anyone care to let me in on some of the upcoming events in the show?

Here's some:

Tywin Lannister doesn't shit gold.

Stannis, defender of the Wall

Joffrey develops indigestion

Sam gets laid

Lysa killed Jon Arryn

Does anyone understand how the Sack of Yunkai happened through the context of the show??? To my understanding the 3 dudes got surrounded by a bajillion guards and then just magically reappeared at D's camp. Was it just implied that they went SSJ and just murked them all?

When Jorah returned he said, " "they did not believe until it was too late"
"their slave soldiers threw down their swords and surrendered, just as you said" or something along those lines. WTF was he talking about? Ugh this plot point was so confusing.

exYle

ASoS/Series
Sansa's memory starts getting a little loopy and she starts fantasizing about a man she once hated

ramyeon

Just a heads up after reading the discussion in the No book thread, you might want to stay away from talking about [ASOS]
the rape of Tyrion's ex-wife Tysha, as so far in the show it hasn't been revealed that Tywin was lying about her being a prostitute

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

All of these are true in some way.

Series:
Arya rescues Sam and murders one of his enemies in a foreign land
A man crippled by gout struggles to control his brother's numerous unruly bastard daughters
Cersei gets nude and smeared with excrement
Sansa slays a giant
Tyrion is blessed by a giant turtle
Brienne gets a Valyrian Steel sword and half her face eaten off
Jaime calls himself Goldenhand the Just and rides around on a horse called Honor restoring peace to the realm
Theon and his sister are reunited, after the latter is repeatedly called a cunt by Middle Liddle
Jorah and Tyrion join a circus

exYle

All of these are true in some way.

Series:
Arya rescues Sam and murders one of his enemies in a foreign land
A man crippled by gout struggles to control his brother's numerous unruly bastard daughters
Cersei gets nude and smeared with excrement
Sansa slays a giant
Tyrion is blessed by a giant turtle
Brienne gets a Valyrian Steel sword and half her face eaten off
Jaime calls himself Goldenhand the Just and rides around on a horse called Honor restoring peace to the realm
Theon and his sister are reunited, after the latter is repeatedly called a cunt by Middle Liddle
Jorah and Tyrion join a circus

Hehe, very cleverly worded.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Still reading through the non-book thread, 10+ pages to go, it's awesome. Don't think I'll be catching up on this thread, I'd be here all day.

The book readers swarming the other thread gloating was annoying. A lot of people here didn't want it, the people in that very thread sure as hell didn't want it, so why do it? Luckily I'm past the point of Bish now, so hopefully people stop doing it.

On yesterday's ep, they handled it well. It destroyed me all over again, like I experienced it for the first time. I guess that's mission accomplished for them. I've seen posts praising Michelle Fairley, but it can't be stated enough how incredible her final scene was. Her looking completely insane and devastated holding the Frey at knifepoint, the final bone chilling hoarse yell, the nonchalant way she slit the frey's throat and finally... her being dead already before her throat was slit. Look at her face man, she's totally gone at that point. Unreal. This was definitely the strongest acting performance in the series so far.

And with this:

i3Yhr4uNKvoCD.gif

I think we finally had the first real Roose Bolton moment. That is one scary look.

Have to see that the reactions are even stronger than I'd anticipated. Seems like the internet is going crazy over this.

I have to say that the Red Wedding was really well done, I thought it wasn't going to be anywhere near as effective as the books given the lack of strong bannermen but they were really smart in building up Talisa and her baby to be only for the massacre beginning with her getting shanked repeatedly to up the emotional stakes. Roose and Walder were great in that they legitimatley became terrifying characters over a matter of moments with Roose motioning to his sleeve after and icy stare and Walder's "Then I guess I'll have to get another".

The most disturbing part of the episode for me though is how much I like Dario in the show, it makes me feel dirt inside given how he's a purple haired clown in the books.

Enosh

I'm not a fan of them, I like having exclusive copies (if there even are any) and I don't mind paying for it
there is this:
6855179480_1084a63706_z.jpg

although idk if those are sold anymore or if they are even good from a quality point of view etc, just try to searching for asoiaf hardcover

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dude, if you've been paying attention, we're calling them babies for acting like petulant children - not regards to actual spoilers - to minuscule details and tepid minutiae. You keep bringing up spoilers and shit, when we're making fun of their complete tight assedness about things that AREN'T spoilers. How in the world have you not comprehended this? I'm starting to see exactly WHY you haven't read the books and it's not looking pretty.

I'm in the middle of it. I've been spoiled on a few things but I don't raise a stink of it because I have to see exactly how it happens.
There are a lot of things that constitute "spoilers" than flat out saying that "so-and-so dies in the next book". Your second quote indicates that you, personally, don't mind spoilers too much, and that's fine. Some people are like that. Please understand, however, that some people are not like that at all.

You do need to have some empathy for your fellow fantasy-genre-enjoying Neogaffers, because not everyone is like you. Some people want to have that experience pure and unmuddled. It may be unreasonable, especially due to the pervasiveness of the internet, to be expected to be completely shielded from all spoilers forever, but it is reasonable that we should try to accommodate them as much as we can. It's in the rules of the OP, after all. It's part of being compassionate to someone who shares the same interests as you, and wanting to facilitate their enjoyment, not hamper it.

The books may be 13 years old, but the TV show adaptation is only 3 years old. This isn't yet something as historic as say, Star Wars. We all need to be as considerate as possible.

If they get details wrong, let other show watchers correct them. It's not our sworn duty to stamp out every bit of erroneous speculation from those poor, helpless, show watchers. If they want spoilers, they'll flat out ask. Like the ones who have recently done so in this thread.

TCRS

Banned
there is this:
6855179480_1084a63706_z.jpg

although idk if those are sold anymore or if they are even good from a quality point of view etc, just try to searching for asoiaf hardcover

dang, that's nice. But I would never use them to actually read the story, I would decorate my shelf with them. :p I already had difficulty with the ADWD hard cover. Paperback are best suited for reading books.

Does anyone understand how the Sack of Yunkai happened through the context of the show??? To my understanding the 3 dudes got surrounded by a bajillion guards and then just magically reappeared at D's camp. Was it just implied that they went SSJ and just murked them all?

When Jorah returned he said, " "they did not believe until it was too late"
"their slave soldiers threw down their swords and surrendered, just as you said" or something along those lines. WTF was he talking about? Ugh this plot point was so confusing.

Anyone?

jett

D-Member

Dany is seen as a freer of slaves. The soldiers they were fighting against were slaves. They put down their weapons in the hope they would be freed.

It was handled pretty poorly though. Astapor is the only Dany thing they've really nailed since S1.

TCRS

Banned

That's exactly how it went down which was quite disappointing tbh. I was hoping for a proper battle in the last episode.

Generally that has been my gripe with this show. A war is being fought, there are five kings but we never see any of that and it's hardly ever mentioned. I know battles are expensive but can they not show a skirmish between Starks and Lannisters every now and then? Just to let the non-book readers know that there is an actual war going on.

Oh well, doesn't matter now I suppose.

How come after the wolves didn't attack Ygritte or Tormund after Jon fled? They just stared at him ride away with wolves slaughtering people around them. Kind of shit editing.

devilhawk

How come after the wolves didn't attack Ygritte or Tormund after Jon fled? They just stared at him ride away with wolves slaughtering people around them. Kind of shit editing.

Yeah, the scene being moved from during the night and storming to the day removed how Jon slipped away in the confusion. Made parts of the scene seem odd as you noticed.

It was the first time when the actor sold me on his performance. I always felt he was too warm towards other characters in the tv show when compared to the book.

Yeah it was pretty good. I'm not a fan of the "Lannister sends his regards, HI STAB BYE" thing, but that scene, and that smile. Wow.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It was the first time when the actor sold me on his performance. I always felt he was too warm towards other characters in the tv show when compared to the book.

I agree, I thought Roose was the first important character they had seriously miscasted. Now I'm not that sure anymore. Still think [series]
the Ramsay casting was better though. Rheon was the revelation of the season. Still can't get over how perfect he is as Ramsay. Father/son reunion next week most likely?

I agree, I thought Roose was the first important character they had seriously miscasted. Now I'm not that sure anymore. Still think [series]
the Ramsay casting was better though. Rheon was the revelation of the season. Still can't get over how perfect he is as Ramsay. Reunion between father and son next week most likely?

That'll probably be the series hook if not ASOS
Catelyn

Dany is seen as a freer of slaves. The soldiers they were fighting against were slaves. They put down their weapons in the hope they would be freed.

It was handled pretty poorly though. Astapor is the only Dany thing they've really nailed since S1.

Oh ok, they sure as hell didn't mention using that as their strategy in the show, at least not to my knowledge

the Ramsay casting was better though. Rheon was the revelation of the season. Still can't get over how perfect he is as Ramsay. Father/son reunion next week most likely?

[Series]
I certainly think we're getting the Bastard of Bolton revelation next week. I'm not sure that the time scales work for Roose and Ramsey to meet up next week, but I can certainly see Ramsey using the revelation of the breaking of the North and the death of the Starks to further break Theon, and saying that it was his house which committed the acts.

Brashnir

Oh ok, they sure as hell didn't mention using that as their strategy in the show, at least not to my knowledge

They never mentioned it. The whole thing was handled very poorly. If I was to wager a guess, I'd suspect that they cut some of the explanation for that stuff for time, and decided to just leave it up to people's imaginations.

Yeah, the scene being moved from during the night and storming to the day removed how Jon slipped away in the confusion. Made parts of the scene seem odd as you noticed.

You're right, I had forgotten that the battle was supposed to be in a storm. In the show Jojen even commented that a storm was coming and that's why they took shelter. But then no storm during the battle. Did the show just not have a budget for the storm?

That scene at night could have been fantastic. A battle in the dark with periodic flashes of lightning showing the wolves ripping out the enemy throats. A missed opportunity!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
[Series]
I certainly think we're getting the Bastard of Bolton revelation next week. I'm not sure that the time scales work for Roose and Ramsey to meet up next week, but I can certainly see Ramsey using the revelation of the breaking of the North and the death of the Starks to further break Theon, and saying that it was his house which committed the acts.

[series]
Yeah they have to, they can't leave stuff like that in the air for an entire year. I think people have a hard time remembering who Roose is as it is. I even saw some 'who was that guy?' posts. This does mirror the books a bit though, because for me (and plenty of others I guess) the Boltons were minor characters that suddenly jumped to the very forefront. I still love how Martin pulls that off, and keeps doing it with other characters throughout the series.

Brashnir

They've surely got to reveal who (Series?)
his son his now... question is, do show watchers even know who Roose Bolton is by name

ASOS/ADWD
A line like, "My father plunged a dagger into your 'brother' Robb's heart himself," would suffice for people who don't know Roose's name

Moff

I loved show roose from the very beginning. the only thing I miss are his pale eyes. but his look in the show is so much better than the description in the book.

[series]
Yeah they have to, they can't leave stuff like that in the air for an entire year. I think people have a hard time remembering who Roose is as it is. I even saw some 'who was that guy?' posts. This does mirror the books a bit though, because for me (and plenty of others I guess) the Boltons were minor characters that suddenly jumped to the very forefront. I still love how Martin pulls that off, and keeps doing it with other characters throughout the series.

[series]
For my tastes, I really loved the newfound prominence of the Boltons in the books, and Ramsey is my absolute favourite villain in the series. I want people to hate this house FAR more than they hate Joffrey at this point in time. >:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom