• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

[SERIES]
Yeah, the stone heart reveal is something that just can't be fucked with. I'm still wondering, if they don't show her in the next episode, how they will go about it. If she is part of the cast next year it will leak for sure. Maybe they will try to play it off like a flashback?
[SERIES]
Showing Lady Stoneheart next episode would avoid the hassle of keeping that secret for months. It's plausible they could use the flashback excuse if they wait until season four, but some people are bound to guess what's up if they remember Beric Dondarrion.

Edit: From a HuffPost inteview: ASOS
"People who've read the books tell me there's a chance you could reprise your role at some point in the future. Any truth to that?
I think you’re just going to have to keep watching and find out."

Cool, I'm going to take that as confirmation.

Something I just thought of ASOS
RE: THE Wolf Head, I think they HAVE to show it,in order to make it that Robb can't be resurrected. Don't forget Arya's "Could you bring somebody back without a head?"

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

From my viewing, it seemed that the won the first battle handily, but then the fight got harder once they got surrounded. We cut away, they continue to kick ass until the enemy is defeated. Come back, proclaim their victory, Jorah gets passed over for Dariooooo.

I don't see where the confusion is?

Calamari41

41 > 38
I appreciate it. If you even just want to point to the chapter that would be great.

She definitely makes mention of why (ASOS)
she is choosing not to go during the actual Red Wedding chapter.
I'm not sure about where (ASOS)
the Lannisters talk about it later on
, however.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm a non-book reader who was recently spoiled on the events of the last episode of the show by a jackass friend who chose to directly and unnecessarily tweet a direct spoiler, and I'm still rather miffed/upset/angry about it.

Please book readers, without spoiling anything else, please allay my frustrations (if you can) by reassuring me that Book 3 has other awesome twists like this that I can look forward to next episode/season?

Please let this be true...

Victarion

I'm a non-book reader who was recently spoiled on the events of the last episode of the show by a jackass friend who chose to directly and unnecessarily tweet a direct spoiler, and I'm still rather miffed/upset/angry about it.

Please book readers, without spoiling anything else, please allay my frustrations (if you can) by reassuring me that Book 3 has other awesome twists like this that I can look forward to next episode/season?

You are in for a treat.

LevelNth

Banned
Dude.

A Storm of Swords is the best fantasy novel I've ever read.

The Red Wedding occurs exactly HALF way through the book, and it never lets up after that. Never. You are in for awesome shit.
You have no idea how much I appreciate this. Thanks very much, this actually does make me feel a little better.

The blinking cursor is my favorite.
0a9cf30eafc5da2fe60d1a54ac163dc1.gif

There is a ton left. After the Red Wedding in the book, nearly every subsequent chapter is awesome with tons of shit happening and a bunch more "oh shit" moments.

Calamari41

41 > 38

The Red Wedding basically kicks off the entire climax of the whole story so far. Shit starts hitting the fan and doesn't stop for the entire next season.

Also, another great difference between the Red Wedding in the book vs the show that I just remembered: (ASOS)
When Lord Walder calls for the bedding ceremony to begin, Roslin (Edmure's new wife) goes pale and starts crying, indicating that she knows what's about to happen. She has kind of a shocked look on her face in the show, but it would have been cool to see a bigger reaction from her.

UraMallas

Keep watching.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hmm, reading the Red Wedding chapter that someone was kind enough to post earlier raises another question. (ASOS)
I said earlier that I thought Cat may have been intended to just be captured because she was probably expected to go to the bedding ceremony. But just after she talks about how she should be there, she also says that she expected Robb to go too. Was Robb supposed to be kept as a hostage to ensure that the North end the war?

Kind of in awe that most of the reactions from book readers I've been reading online are so gung ho about how they pulled off the RW. To me, the end of Arya's POV section was the pivotal moment of the entire sequence and they whiffed it completely.

I've spent three seasons defending the show as something that should and can stand on its own merits, but the fact that they worked so hard to immaculately recreate so much and then stopped at the 99 yard line is so mystifying to me.

Kind of in awe that most of the reactions from book readers I've been reading online are so gung ho about how they pulled off the RW. To me, the end of Arya's POV section was the pivotal moment of the entire sequence and they whiffed it completely.

I've spent three seasons defending the show as something that should and can stand on its own merits, but the fact that they worked so hard to immaculately recreate so much and then stopped at the 99 yard line is so mystifying to me.

Personally speaking, the Arya fake-out was daft in the books (The Hound just straight-up killing her makes no sense of the character as we knew him) and nearly impossible to visually put on the screen. Out of all of the moments surrounding the RW, that was by far the easiest cut.

It was daft, and I'm glad the focus was on the hall itself.

I kind of have to agree here. I can understand them cutting out some Arya parts to focus on the RW, but that scene just felt so out of character for her. Doesn't she start fighting people in the book, and then Sandor runs in?

Personally speaking, the Arya fake-out was daft in the books (The Hound just straight-up killing her makes no sense of the character as we knew him) and nearly impossible to visually put on the screen. Out of all of the moments surrounding the RW, that was by far the easiest cut.

It was daft, and I'm glad the focus was on the hall itself.

Impossible how?

Arya runs toward camera, cut to Hound raising axe, wider shot showing Hound and Arya in same frame, cut to Hound throwing axe, cut to Arya running

THUNK

cut to black

ezrarh

I don't get people wanting the Arya fakeout. It didn't make sense in the book for her to die and it doesn't make sense to do that on the show.

I heavily disagree. It makes Robb a true Stark. It also needs no explanation given how he saw how his half brother was raised and the looming cloud that hung over his father's life in regards to Jon his entire life. So Robb did the honorable thing. The Stark thing. The great thing about it is that by honoring Jeyne and her honor as a maiden, he dishonors not only the Freys, but also his entire army and allies fighting for him. I always took it as GRRM's sly take on how flimsy honor truly is.

Don't really think this has to be spoiler tagged but...

I think marrying out of familial honor, ie, the Freys let you cross their bridge, is more honorable than some one night stand. If "Stark honor" means respecting that you slept with some one, then it doesn't make Ned very honorable -- given that he married out of familial honor, not out of one-night-stand honor... which for 5 books we're still led to believe the Ned did have a one night stand. Honorable, sure, but "stark honorable" does not mean that.

marrec

Banned
Impossible how?

Arya runs toward camera, cut to Hound raising axe, wider shot showing Hound and Arya in same frame, cut to Hound throwing axe, cut to Arya running

THUNK

cut to black

Ya, it'd make total sense for the Hound to kill Arya in the show (no it wouldn't). It wouldn't be a fakeout because there would be even less reason for him to kill her in the show than there was in the books.

Impossible how?

THUNK

cut to black

That doesn't sound like it'd even remotely fit with the tone and the imagery seen throughout the rest of the wedding.

Besides, the RW isn't about Arya. I'm glad they dialled her part down.

marrec

Banned
Don't really think this has to be spoiler tagged but...

I think marrying out of familial honor, ie, the Freys let you cross their bridge, is more honorable than some one night stand. If "Stark honor" means respecting that you slept with some one, then it doesn't make Ned very honorable -- given that he married out of familial honor, not out of one-night-stand honor... which for 5 books we're still led to believe the Ned did have a one night stand. Honorable, sure, but "stark honorable" does not mean that.

I think we can pull this part of the discussion out of spoilers but... that's kind of the point to what Robb does in the books. He'd seen the 'mistakes' of his father and didn't want to repeat them. The problem is that his father never really talked to him about that side of the honor equation so he made the damn fool decision based on a perceived notion of honor that he'd only partially gathered from interactions with Ned.

Maybe, although at the same time it might be better for the show to get away from all the ASOS/ADWD
fakeout deaths that occur later in the series because those were kind of irritating

UraMallas

A Jon fake out is much better. I'm surprised they didn't have him shot by Ygritte's arrow to make even more outrage.

Oh. I think I would've liked that. Just a little more salt in the tears.

I do not like the idea of doing the Arya fakeout. Maybe that's because I kind of thought it was a weak fakeout in the book and don't think they could've done it justice. Hell, the books didn't really do it justice. I'm glad they ended on Cat.

Oh. I think I would've liked that. Just a little more salt in the tears.

I do not like the idea of doing the Arya fakeout. Maybe that's because I kind of thought it was a weak fakeout in the book and don't think they could've done it justice. Hell, the books didn't really do it justice. I'm glad they ended on Cat.

Yeah, it especially wouldn't work because the Hound in the show is even more obviously not evil and on some sort of redemptive arc.

So someone is going to turn the Red Wedding into an epic E3 gif right? Its perfect for one. We just need the material.

EDIT: They already started yes!

iammeiam

The Arya fakeout would have cheapened the whole sequence--as it stands now, the entire RW is a brutal and bleak sequence that is very in-your-face and happens for reasons that the audience can immediately understand. Undercutting that with a fakeout for shock value would have been a tonal mess. Arya's part in this episode will always be tragic since she gets so close but loses everything; it doesn't gain anything by adding a forced cliffhanger about whether or not a character murders her for no reason just because.

duckroll

That was the best adaptation decision they have made on this show so far. It's been a pretty middling adaptation with a lot of poor choices, but here they made the right call. The Arya fakeout was crap in the books, and the decision to ignore it completely was the right call.

- HBO's Inside the Episode feature is up on youtube now

Also...

[Series]
Interesting to see that Michelle Fairley just booked a recurring role on Suits. Link. While something like this probably wouldn't preclude her returning as Lady Stoneheart, it does make me wonder how they're going to handle it moving forward. Could they just use a double for a lot of it? How much would she need to appear in order for it to be effective?

marrec

Banned
The book readers fabricated a heir to the North theory out of a description of a girl's hips and thin air.

To be fair, that was in an attempt to justify the inclusion of a character fabricated out of thin air in order to ensure that Robb would die in the most horrific way imaginable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom