• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Series
I'm not saying they're going to spoil Stoneheart the book character. What I'm saying is that if Fairley is showing up on set this summer, mainstream entertainment media is going to start publishing articles about it. "Cat Really Not Dead?", "Lady Stark Lives!", etc. A lot of casuals are going to wind up knowing she's back, whether they know about Stoneheart or not.

Hmm. I get what you're saying, but I just don't think the press would do that. (ASOS)
They all had to have known that the Red Wedding was happening, just by the speed with which the reviews and analyses went up. It appears as though they know that they filmed the Wolf Robb scene, and they never reported it (we will see if this ends up being true). I feel like worst case, HBO could approach these places and tell them not to reveal it. I think worries about what the press will do is the last thing they should consider when writing this series.

dubq

The only book to show change that upsets me is [ASOS]
The fact that because the Tickler's dead already, Arya won't be able to do her awesome inn scene. I mean they could do it with another character besides the Tickler, but it's just not the same.

ASOS/TV
Well Polliver has it.. so she'll still get to kill him for it, I assume. As for her lines.. they'll probably change that to something else that was synonymous with him. Like the woman asking for a crust of bread, or how he said he'd pick his teeth with the sword. I'm sure they'll think of something to make it as dramatic.

Massa

I don't think they would either. The show's sets are usually pretty tight, too. Did we even know that David Bradley was back to play Walder until recently??

I think we did, but they kept the Carl Drogo secret in season 2 pretty tight.

Yes, it's Carl with a C, like Kelly C

Hmm. I get what you're saying, but I just don't think the press would do that. (ASOS)
They all had to have known that the Red Wedding was happening, just by the speed with which the reviews and analyses went up. It appears as though they know that they filmed the Wolf Robb scene, and they never reported it (we will see if this ends up being true). I feel like worst case, HBO could approach these places and tell them not to reveal it. I think worries about what the press will do is the last thing they should consider when writing this series.

Series
There's a big difference between spoiling an event from the books like the RW versus reporting that a particular actor or actress is on set for filming. If an actress who was killed off in the prior season starts reporting to the set for the next season, that's going to make some headlines. There's no way HBO can keep that under wraps.

Now, as to whether or not the show runners should let that influence their storytelling, that's a valid, albeit separate discussion to have.

I don't think they would either. The show's sets are usually pretty tight, too. Did we even know that David Bradley was back to play Walder until recently??

I think we did, but they kept the Carl Drogo secret in season 2 pretty tight.

Yes, it's Carl with a C, like Kelly C

"Carl's" (lol!) appearance in S2 was very brief and would have been easier to keep under wraps. Bradley's return wouldn't even warrant a paragraph for the average TV viewer.
Fairley
would be too big of a deal to be a well kept secret, IMO.

anyone else think how roose stabbed rob then ran off screen looked silly

He did it so Catelyn could watch him die, he didn't run off screen but he did move out of the way. I guess in the book he came up behind him and stabbed him and that would have worked, but I guess it was just a cinematography choice. I don't think it looked goofy, same with how they offed Cat. The way it was done so nonchalantly matches up pretty well with the description in the book aside from grabbing the hair.

My only gripe with the show version of the RW is the fact that we didn't have characters like Jon Umber and Dacey Mormont established throughout the season. The showrunners have made some decent decisions when it comes to cutting and consolidating characters but this absence was really hard. I think people would have been really affected by seeing Jorah's sister bite it there too, ASOS/ADWD
and it's going to hurt a lot of the payoff for "The North Remembers" when they get to ADWD. Hopefully they spend a few minutes in the finale showing the rest of the massacre of the Stark forces.

Trasher

anyone else think how roose stabbed rob then ran off screen looked silly

I don't remember any running, but I didn't think it looked silly.

That's pretty much how it happens in the book.

I suppose they could have dressed up a bit more with some cool camera angles, but I don't think it would have fit very well.

Sean Bean's curse

JbFSSPz.jpg

Man, season 4 will THE BOMB of all bombs!!!!

Can't wait who they cast

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it looks like Wendel Manderley was at the wedding as well. That sigil was completely bugging me, and for whatever reason I thought he was an Umber.

The buzz this show has created over the last three years is incredible. Even here in Germany every new episode is the thing to talk about on the next day. I had always hoped that the show would be well recieved but could never have imagined that it turns into this pop culture phenomenon.

I don't think this will diminish after the red wedding. People that are now angry with the show will eventually realize that it was one of the bravest and memorable moments in recent tv history and come crawling back till next sunday. As somebody mentioned before: the show is not fair, but so is life.

By the way: Hello everybody. I'm new.

So many things could have gone wrong with this show. It could have been very unfaithful to the books, it could have been cancelled with another network or it could have only pulled in a small amount of viewers, mainly book readers. But it all went in the opposite direction, which is fantastic.

Welcome btw.

Jon does die at the end of ADWD, though. He just won't stay dead. How he lives on in the short-term through Ghost is shown to us in the prologue and it's not really like any of the fakeout deaths.

The point is that when it happened ADWD
I shrugged and said "yeah right" rather than OMG!

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it looks like Wendel Manderley was at the wedding as well. That sigil was completely bugging me, and for whatever reason I thought he was an Umber.

Yeah...just really lame that they didn't even mention things like that. It's a very important detail that the Starks weren't the only major northern house to lose firstborns/heirs. People can't even seem to keep in mind who Roose Bolton is, houses like the Manderlys are going to be lost on most of the audience.

Trasher

I sort of feel like they swapped out the Greatjon for the Blackfish this season in a way. I feel like it would have been much more enjoyable to have him there for the wedding instead to at least do a little something before Robb died. They built him up fairly well earlier on with the whole "your meat is bloody tough" and Robb earning his respect. I know he wasn't around in season two either, but I wish he had sort of been at Robb's side all along. Even though he doesn't bite it at the wedding in the books, that could have still been an option. Maybe they have plans for him later on still. It just would have been nice to see him go apeshit to defend his king, and he could have taken the Blackfish's spot at the table since he stayed back in Riverrun anyways.

And to add: I like Blackfish in the show! Surprised he's been given so much to do though.

Jayof9s

The point is that when it happened ADWD
I shrugged and said "yeah right" rather than OMG!

Exactly ADWD
it doesn't matter that it wasn't a 'fake out' in this case - we'd already seen so many fake deaths that a major character's death had no real impact. You either know the character isn't really dead or in Jon's case you know that there's no way he'll stay dead.

Some of the deaths or fake deaths are necessary for the plot but they were greatly cheapened by the number of fake deaths that were just cheesy cliffhangers. And those are the ones that should be removed.

Like Arya's after the RW. I see a lot of people claiming they knew she wasn't dead for plot reasons but I'm going to go ahead and say it: someone being run down by a man on horseback and hit with an axe (even the flat part, axes are heavy) is pretty likely to die. So sure, plot-wise it didn't make sense for him to run down and kill Arya there, but it also didn't make much sense for her to be brained by the flat of an axe with all the momentum of a horse charge behind it and live.

Some apparent episode 10 (small) leak.

"A mate of mine is an extra in the Robb/Grey Wind scene. They carry him about shouting "The King in the North!" They used a bulls head at the time of filming but he said they'll add Grey Wind's head in later"

Don't know if reliable.

Fey

Banned

"A mate of mine is an extra in the Robb/Grey Wind scene. They carry him about shouting "The King in the North!" They used a bulls head at the time of filming but he said they'll add Grey Wind's head in later"

Don't know if reliable.

I am SO
not
ready for this. Oh god.

Minus_Me

Don't know if reliable.

Can't wait to see this.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
ASOS
Oberyn Martell played by...

Sean Bean

(ADWD)
Season 6, Jon Snow will be played by Sean Bean in a curly wig

Don't know if reliable.

Please be true.

iammeiam

There's no way. Not in a million years.

*prepares Crow*

I'd say maybe because (SOS)
if it ends with Zombie Cat, the easiest way to make sure nobody gets their hopes up for a Robb resurrection is to do something irreparable to his body.

I want to believe.

marrec

Banned
I'd say maybe because (SOS)
if it ends with Zombie Cat, the easiest way to make sure nobody gets their hopes up for a Robb resurrection is to do something irreparable to his body.

I want to believe.

I think that's why (SOS)
GRRM made a big point of it in the books, because if Thoros could resurrect (however imperfectly) Cat then theoretically he could do the same for Robb... but not as Wolfy Robb.
So you're probably right.

(ADWD)
Quentyn Martell's already got dibs.

Why not both?

I think that's why (SOS)
GRRM made a big point of it in the books, because if Thoros could resurrect (however imperfectly) Cat then theoretically he could do the same for Robb... but not as Wolfy Robb.
So you're probably right.

Series
If you recall, Thoros refused to revive Cat. Beric was able to give her the kiss of life at the cost of his own. But the point still stands. And I agree that it's a crucial scene to film if they are planning on revealing Lady Stoneheart on Sunday. It ties in perfectly with the memorable Arya/Beric conversation about Eddard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom