• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

I know Robb died because of shitty decisions, but then they also say it's because Stannis has voodoo on his side. So is there a correct one? If Robb made every correct decision would he still have been killed by the witch lady (through some other circumstance planned by some god)? If yes I don't like that, if no then okay that's fine.

Speevy

Banned
Robb should've done the wedding when he made the deal, then gotten walder Frey to "hand over the rebels" to tywin. Then ambush the lannister army with freys and starks

So far it feels like this show's message has been: wrongs are not made right even if we want that to be the case. The bad people keep winning and the ones with honor keep losing (I know this is an extreme simplification, I'm just referring to someone like Bolton vs. a Stark).

So my question without spoilers is: is there some point where this isn't the case? Where a likeable, honorable character (like Arya) wins a big victory? How do you guys keep reading/watching if it's just fucked up shit happening over and over without any hope...

If you consume fiction for escapism, then maybe this isn't the series for you.

I know Robb died because of shitty decisions, but then they also say it's because Stannis has voodoo on his side. So is there a correct one? If Robb made every correct decision would he still have been killed by the witch lady (through some other circumstance planned by some god)? If yes I don't like that, if no then okay that's fine.

Melisandre is a fanatic who can do magic. Thoros and (DWD)
other priests of the Lord of Light
have shown abilities too. What you read into that is up to you, but I doubt it's as cut-and-dried as their power source being all-powerful.

jett

D-Member

GRRM wanted to kill him. It was inevitable. The only reason for the existence of his wife is so that he could be killed.

red priests are full of shit

ASOS
I think the assumption (or at least mine) is that Melisandre saw Robb's demise in the flames and then did the leaches scene to "show her power". They have no impact on what happens.

I don't think the showrunners have said that Stannis has voodoo on his side. They showed him throwing slugs in a fire with king's blood in it (well, the same bloodline as a king) but we don't know if that had any effect. It's up to us as watchers of the show to decide ourselves if we believe the magical stuff has any effect or if the events were already in motion.

Loofy

I don't think the showrunners have said that Stannis has voodoo on his side. They showed him throwing slugs in a fire with king's blood in it (well, the same bloodline as a king) but we don't know if that had any effect. It's up to us as watchers of the show to decide ourselves if we believe the magical stuff has any effect or if the events were already in motion.
imo Melisandre already saw the death in her visions/fires, and the slugs were just for show or assurance.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just a heads up after reading the discussion in the No book thread, you might want to stay away from talking about [ASOS]
the rape of Tyrion's ex-wife Tysha, as so far in the show it hasn't been revealed that Tywin was lying about her being a prostitute

[ASoS]
I thought of that, but I thought it was still clearly rape. In the video I posted, when Tyrion tells the story, he describes Tysha having so many coins they were slipping from her fingers, suggesting a catatonic state on her part. Clearly you're not supposed to think Tysha the prostitute was meant to gang bang the entire household in the "plot", just seduce Tyrion for one night. But Tyrion ended up marrying her and she was punished by Tywin like that. That's how I interpreted the situation before reading Jaime's confession, anyway, back in the day.

I shamefully admit to have done the same thing.
I don't remember clearly, but I think I did the same thing, lol. Maybe it was "obviously fake" to some, but remember, you just read a chapter where he offed two Starks at once and a fuckton of Stark bannermen... in my case I thought, "no no no not Arya too... wait, could he really?"

That seemed to be more fitting for a Disney movie.
Yeah I didn't like that either.

Morrigan we need to talk about something very important:

your distaste of pretty boys.

OUT WITH IT.

Oh, LOL. I totally missed that post yesterday, not sure how. Yes, I have a strong distaste of pretty boys. And why not? I like men to look like men, not boys, or hell, girls. Lancel looks like a girl (a pretty one at that!) and Daario isn't much better. I prefer the ruggedly handsome type. My ultimate preference is tall, long-haired and with a nice beard, short and tidy*. I lucked out cause my partner is exactly like that. xD But basically, Jaime (bearded version) is ridiculously hot, my #1 pick from the cast easily. :p Followed by Jaqen, Ned, and Jory Cassel. Benjen was pretty hot too.

* Weirdly enough, Robb and Jon do absolutely nothing for me despite "matching" that look, and I even slightly prefer Gendry, though I'm not swooning over him like some girls are. I guess they all look too boyish still. Lancel and Loras? Ewwww.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't disagree more. Show Robb marries Talisa purely out of honor, not as Walder says because the ass was fat. Marrying someone out of a sense of duty just because you fucked them once has to be the worst excuse for getting an entire rebellion slaughtered of all time and really made me dislike Robb's character. It made him seem like a naive boy. Maybe that's what GRRM was going for, but to me it ruined the entire plotline.

At least with Talisa you get to see him developing an affection for her and resisting his affection (slightly). Of course, he's still just as dumb for marrying her and in the end he does it for the same reasons you describe above (honor, not wanting bastards, and the like) you just get to see an actual relationship with an actual woman. In the books you get to see Jeyne who is just a standin for whatever plot device GRRM wanted to use to kill Robb.
He marries Talisa out of love, not honour. He outright says "I don't want the Frey girl," (or words to that effect) before they get down to business. With Jeyne, he's a wounded and grieving 15 year old. In one case he breaks his oath after acting impulsively in a vulnerable moment, in the other it's a choice he decides to make before any hanky-panky has gone down. Not to mention that if he had to weigh up the costs of doing the honourable thing, when it comes to marrying Jeyne there are more factors that would compel him to make that choice:
- A highborn girl from his own country as opposed to a field medic who apparently has a noble family half a world away
- Militarily, marrying Jeyne gives him a few extra men and resources and a castle in his enemy's territory
- Any friendliness with Jeyne or her family without fully bringing them under his protection would only endanger them if he left them in the West.

I agree that Jeyne is less character than plot device and Talisa does not have that problem, but as far as motivations go the situation is done much better in the books. In the show, Robb isn't undone because of his adherence to his notions of honour, he's just stupid because he's love-dumb.

The main differences:

- Robb's wife doesn't go to the Red Wedding and stays in Riverrun. Instead, they have a whole host of Lords and allies of the Stark banner come, including the Mormonts, Jorah's sister. To shorten the casting and need for more hired hands, they had Robb's wife come in their stead. Saves time and money and is just as impactful. The main brutality of the RW is the death count, not just Robb and Cat. They kill practically ALL the heirs of the North lords in one room.

I think people would have been really affected by seeing Jorah's sister bite it there too, ASOS/ADWD
and it's going to hurt a lot of the payoff for "The North Remembers" when they get to ADWD. Hopefully they spend a few minutes in the finale showing the rest of the massacre of the Stark forces.

Agree with what both of you are saying here, but Dacey is Jorah's cousin, not his sister.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ I agree with all of the above. I'll also note that in the show, Catelyn was there to advise Robb on the folly of that marriage, yet he went ahead with it anyway, whereas in the book she was still in Riverrun while he was off waging war in the west.

Iksenpets

Banned
I forgot if this was posted before, but this is an interesting cameo:
http://i.imgur.com/NyDxqle.png

[ADwD]
That man gets killed during the wedding. He must be Wendel Manderly for sure.

The North remembers!

They actually put a lot of effort into that for a background cameo. You can totally get the rich, urbanite Southener vibe from his awesomely styled mustache.

Do you think that after all the planning the Freys and Boltons and Lannisters put into that, that the whole plan would have failed if not for the intervention of a magic leech? I mean it's possible, but you always have to be skeptical of unsubstantiated claims of magic in GoT.

Azrael

I don't like the idea that Rob can fight as hard as he can, but he dies because some slug was thrown on a fire (if that's really why/how he died because of the witch lady with Stannis). That's just really boring and dissatisfying to me. There's no point in characters doing anything if someone can just appeal to a god to wish things.

There is an alternative theory about the leeches. I don't want to get into it because it would be hard to lay out without spoilers, but some readers believe the ritual with the leeches had nothing to do with Robb's death.

The [AFFC]
Stoneheart reveal is going to be interesting. On the one hand I'd quite like them to do it like the books and end on the hanging of Merrett Frey. But it might be quite cool to spend more time with the Brotherhood and get more of an explanation for exactly why they even follow Un-Cat after Beric dies, whether they actually feel the rightness of her cause or whether they have just been fighting for so long they just want to hang nobles.

Listening to the soundtrack I think I know how they will end the season:
The tracks Mhysa and Dark Wings Dark Words sound very similar, the first is clearly Dany's theme, the second track has the same melody, but is darker and gradually changes into a somewhat hopeful rendition the main theme.

Mhysa obviously is Yunkai releasing the slaves and them shouting 'Mother, mother' to Dany, it's very solemn and sacral, fitting the saviour imagery of the scene. I assume they'll cut from that to Catelyn's resurrection as the final scene before the credits with 'Dark wings, dark words' as the score. It fits the traditional supernatural 'holy shit' endings of the first two seasons.

Combining these two scenes with that music will make for a very emotional, uplifting ending compared to the last episode and it gives the title 'Mhysa' a double meaning, which they like to use for the episode titles. It will be epic!

The tracks Mhysa and Dark Wings Dark Words sound very similar, the first is clearly Dany's theme, the second track has the same melody, but is darker and gradually changes into a somewhat hopeful rendition the main theme.

Mhysa obviously is Yunkai releasing the slaves and them shouting 'Mother, mother' to Dany, it's very solemn and sacral, fitting the saviour imagery of the scene. I assume they'll cut from that to Catelyn's resurrection as the final scene before the credits with 'Dark wings, dark words' as the score. It fits the traditional supernatural 'holy shit' endings of the first two seasons.

Combining these two scenes with that music will make for a very emotional, uplifting ending compared to the last episode and it gives the title 'Mhysa' a double meaning, which they like to use for the episode titles. It will be epic!

I agree. It would fit and they could end the season with a spark of much needed hope.

Lach

I don' think we'll see [ASOS]
Catelyn's resurection? Was this comfirmed? It should be next season's epilogue...

Soundtrack
I think Mhysa will be the finale and For the Realm the end credits....

When do you think they'll introduce (AFFC)
Lady Stoneheart ?

AFFC
I think it'll be the closing shot of the season, Beric giving her the kiss of life and her eyes opening.

ASOS
This is my feeling as well, "Mhysa" being "Mother," for both Dany and the fact that "mother" was the last word Robb uttered before dying; I think the track/episode title is very intentionally multifaceted because that is still very fresh in people's minds after the RW episode. I think the opening scene of the episode will be the reveal of Robb's mutiliation and Cat's body being thrown in the river along with the massacre of the rest of the Northern forces. The Hound and Arya will take off from there and we won't see the Riverlands again until the end of the episode when we see The Brotherhood come across Catelyn's corpse by the river. I think there'll be a huge build up of Dany's conquering for the majority of the episode and that will be the penultimate scene of the finale similar to the White Walkers marching at the end of season 2, but they will ultimately close with a shot of Cat opening her eyes. There are many ways they can close out this season but I think that would make for some iconic TV.

Catelyn's resurection? Was this comfirmed? It should be next season's epilogue...

ASOS/AFFC
Her resurrection was not in the epilogue of the book; she was already "alive" and murdering Freys by then. Cat was only dead for 3 days; Nymeria found her shortly after the Freys dumped her, and Beric died resurrecting her then. I think they will show that happening before they really reveal what she has become.

Soundtrack
I think Mhysa will be the finale and For the Realm the end credits....

Don't forget that the books are not really chronological.
Cat was already 'alive' for some time in the epilogue, she was head of the BWB and already busy hunting down Freys. Her resurrection was never shown. It would be more powerful to show the Brotherhood bringing her back and showing Beric one more time, instead of him just vanishing after they've given him quite a bit of screen time this season. It would also allow them to give more background on how Cat became the leader of the BWB and why they're following her. Maybe they'll also show the reason why Beric gave his life for Cat, I don't think that was ever really explained in the books.

And I also think it's important to give show watchers a glimmer of hope and a real cliffhanger (Mhysa is more a resolution of that subplot, not a cliffhanger). GRRM never intended for the story to end at this point, I don't think the showrunners would make a one-year pause with such a bleak outcome for the Starks. If the purple wedding were next episode, then maybe, but it isn't.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

Listening to those songs, I was picturing the scenes as you spelled it out. Hope you're right, it'll be glorious.

With this season paying particular attention to Beric and the Red God's magic [SOS]
it would make a lot of sense to have Lady Stonehart appear this season, while the long wait worked with the book it would take a year to develop onscreen if they waited till season 4

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Don't forget that the books are not really chronological.
Cat was already 'alive' for some time in the epilogue, she was head of the BWB and already busy hunting down Freys. Her resurrection was never shown. It would be more powerful to show the Brotherhood bringing her back and showing Beric one more time, instead of him just vanishing after they've given him quite a bit of screen time this season. It would also allow them to give more background on how Cat became the leader of the BWB and why they're following her. Maybe they'll also show the reason why Beric gave his life for Cat, I don't think that was ever really explained in the books.

And I also think it's important to give show watchers a glimmer of hope and a real cliffhanger (Mhysa is more a resolution of that subplot, not a cliffhanger). GRRM never intended for the story to end at this point, I don't think the showrunners would make a one-year pause with such a bleak outcome for the Starks. If the purple wedding were next episode, then maybe, but it isn't.

If they do it this way, [series]
UnCat will be dealt with really well. It was always the cliffhanger I'd expected for this season.

With this season paying particular attention to Beric and the Red God's magic [SOS]
it would make a lot of sense to have Lady Stonehart appear this season, while the long wait worked with the book it would take a year to develop onscreen if they waited till season 4

ASOS
Definitely, they did a lot this season to play up the Red Priests, Rhllor, Beric, etc. and this is all still very fresh in viewers minds. I was skeptical before I saw how this season played out, but now I do think the time is right for Cat's resurrection to be in the finale.

Lach

I think they should do it the way it was in the book. It had a lot more impact. They could even more obviously put in hints of somebody hunting Frey's throughout the season. If they show the resurrection next episode, you'd have to show her from time to time next season...

I can tell I'm not enjoying the series as much as I used to, because when Ned died I really felt it, even having read the books, whereas my main reaction to the RW was "thank god we won't have to waste any more time on boring-ass Robb/Talisa scenes."

ASOS/AFFC
I wouldn't think too hard about how it plays out in the book - it's all weirdly out of chronological order because we only get the epilogue scene that reveals who Stoneheart is, then the next time we see her she's about to have Brienne killed and that's when Thoros explains what happened to her. The show needs to keep moving in chronological order so naturally, they are going to need to reveal who Stoneheart is much earlier (much like there's really no point in keeping Barristan Selmy's identity a secret- it just doesn't work on screen).

I do think it makes for better TV to have Cat resurrected in the finale but not reveal what death and rebirth have done to her until next season. Maybe that's just me wanting the showrunners to bring viewers up and crush their hopes again when they realize that she's become a vengeful, murderous zombie, but I think it's the smarter way for it to play out for the show.

Brashnir

I think they should do it the way it was in the book. It had a lot more impact. They could even more obviously put in hints of somebody hunting Frey's throughout the season. If they show the resurrection next episode, you'd have to show her from time to time next season...

ASOS
It had more impact that way, but the show has also been staunchly anti-flashback-scenes to this point. They've shown Theon's torture when it happens, rather than talking about it well after. If they wait until end end of season 4, people will think she was dead for a whole year when she was brought back, which would lead to viewers thinking they could resurrect other long-dead characters. The impact of causing issues outweighs the impact gained from waiting to show it.

Moff

ASOS
It had more impact that way, but the show has also been staunchly anti-flashback-scenes to this point. They've shown Theon's torture when it happens, rather than talking about it well after. If they wait until end end of season 4, people will think she was dead for a whole year when she was brought back, which would lead to viewers thinking they could resurrect other long-dead characters. The impact of causing issues outweighs the impact gained from waiting to show it.

[/absolutely.
thats exactly why the resurrection needs to happen in S03E10, it doesnt work any other way. except of course if they wouldnt show the resurrection itself at all, but why not? it will be a great final scene.

Hindle

Banned
I feel they could have added more Freys to the wedding. Black Walder or Rhaegar come to mind just to make the
scenes where they're killed better

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, filthy book readers, now they've cleaned up one of the most prominent story arcs from the first season, how do you think this will affect the fanbase? Where there be a max exodus of people too broken and disinterested in the other plot threads?

Who was the one who stabbed Talisa?

I thought it was Ryman Frey? He was one of the two that showed up to Riverrun to negotiate Edmure's wedding. ASOS
He's the one who starts everything by taking an axe to Dacey Mormont in the book and is considered one of the key planners of the Red Wedding.
He is Walder's oldest grandson and the second-in-line heir to the Twins, I think.

So, filthy book readers, now they've cleaned up one of the most prominent story arcs from the first season, how do you think this will affect the fanbase? Where there be a max exodus of people too broken and disinterested in the other plot threads?

I think the majority of "FUCK GAME OF THRONES I'M DONE" people were just venting their shock and anger (totally understandable) and they will be back next week and next season. I'm sure there is a small group of viewers that were truly turned off enough by the twist and the graphic nature of the massacre and won't continue watching, but I think most people will realize in time that the events of the last episode, while shocking and cruel, are crucial to moving the story forward in a meaningful and unique way. Series
The fallout of Ned's death and of the Red Wedding massacre takes a very, very long time to come to a head - but the payoff is so great in ADWD that it really does make everything worth it. It's just hard to see that immediately after all this horrible stuff has just happened to the people who are arguably the protagonists of the show.

After the publishing of A Feast for Crows, GRRM did say in an interview that The Red Wedding lost him some readers. I think the show will lose some viewers but it won't impact ratings in a significant way at all. On second thought it may actually have a net gain in viewership - I have a lot of friends who were previously not interested in the show, but now have said that they want to watch it after all the buzz (which sucks because I wish everyone could go into this series, show or book, completely fresh and not knowing what happened to the Starks).

That's I think one of the main reason that Stoneheart must be revealed. Also, the ending will be Dany finally having her "army". That she decides to do fuck all with it will be left to S4

Valravn

I think those people only outed their shock to this event. When i read it in the books i was also shocked and i needed some time before i continued reading. People will begin to get some
hope
when at the end of the season, i think this will happen: ASOS spoiler:
The resurrection of Catelyn to Lady Stoneheart.

Hindle

Banned
I thought it was Ryman Frey? He was one of the two that showed up to Riverrun to negotiate Edmure's wedding. ASOS
He's the one who starts everything by taking an axe to Dacey Mormont in the book and is considered one of the key planners of the Red Wedding.
He is Walder's oldest grandson and the second-in-line heir to the Twins, I think.

Exactly.

Most of the Freys involved in the wedding start getting whacked throughout book 4 and 5. It's an awesome subplot

Who I remember

Black Walder
Rhaegar
Reyman

None of those characters are present in the series which means they're likely to ignore it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The problem with the coming seasons won't be that Robb died. Another character's arc becomes boring as hell.

Exactly.

Most of the Freys involved in the wedding start getting whacked throughout book 4 and 5. It's an awesome subplot

Who I remember

Black Walder
Rhaegar
Reyman

None of those characters are present in the series which means they're likely to ignore it.

series
I think, for TV purposes, nameless Freys are good enough to kill on-screen and have the same impact for viewers. Yeah, their names and standing within House Frey may not be important on the show, but that's not important when the ultimate goal is the destruction of the entire house.

I think people will recognize Ryman though and that will be a major scene; they may actually have him replace Merrett Frey in the ASOS epilogue scene when they eventually get there. I think that would be an awesome reveal for Lady Stoneheart's true nature and purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom