• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
Shit happens, man. There are much more worthy things to direct your outrage at in this world.
I'm not outraged but I would rather know there is timetable for future books instead of everyone twiddling thumbs waiting for GRRM to say something.

I always get a laugh out of "fans" who rant and rave that George should finish these books ASAP so that they can read them RYTE NAO~! Dude can have a life and write at his own pace. Even if that takes years. Get over it and read something else in the interim. ;)

It would be really bad if the show finishes first though. I hope he gets motivated when it starts getting close.

J2d

I always get a laugh out of "fans" who rant and rave that George should finish these books ASAP so that they can read them RYTE NAO~! Dude can have a life and write at his own pace. Even if that takes years. Get over it and read something else in the interim. ;)
Only concern I have is him dying before he finishes up the story.

dubq

I'm not outraged but I would rather know there is timetable for future books instead of everyone twiddling thumbs waiting for GRRM to say something.

You don't need to twiddle your thumbs. Like I said, read something else. There is SO MUCH out there. Read the Morgaine Saga by CJ Cherryh. Amazing shit right there for ya. ;)

GRRM is just a person and he's gonna do what he's gonna do. I can only imagine what it must be like to have all of these people constantly on your back about this kind of stuff. Especially when the bulk of them have never written a novel or series themselves. I'll be happy when he delivers his novel whether it's 3 years or 5 years, personally. :)

It would be really bad if the show finishes first though. I hope he gets motivated when it starts getting close.

I don't think that's bad. They're completely separate entities at this point. I can enjoy one with out the other and vice-versa.

People knew what they were getting into. Ned died back in season 1. Next week is going to be a ratings record break.

Whether people leave during or after season 5 because they get bored is another story.

Maybe it's because I'm somewhat of a tv enthusiast, but I can't imagine people abandoning a beloved show just because the pacing gets a little slower for a while

Massa

You don't need to twiddle your thumbs. Like I said, read something else. There is SO MUCH out there. Read the Morgaine Saga by CJ Cherryh. Amazing shit right there for ya. ;)

GRRM is just a person and he's gonna do what he's gonna do. I can only imagine what it must be like to have all of these people constantly on your back about this kind of stuff. Especially when the bulk of them have never written a novel or series themselves. I'll be happy when he delivers his novel whether it's 3 years or 5 years, personally. :)

Must be a real pain being a millionaire with millions of fans. ;)

ADWD
They could do something like them going to Last Hearth, but Ramsay, aware that he's alive, is hot on their heels with a hunting party. The Umbers take them in, but realize they won't be safe once Roose arrives with the whole army, since then he could just storm the castle. So once Ramsay heads south to open up Moat Cailin for his dad, they sneak Rickon off to Skagos where no one would ever look. They tell Manderly about what they did, and from there you've reconnected it with the books while getting Osha and Rickon some screen time.
That could work out well.

Series
Wasn't there talk of going to the Last Hearth at some point in the books? For some reason I think I remember a discussion taking place about that, making it was just before they left Winterfell they were reviewing options or something.
Apparently GURM's on Conan tonight...
Yes, and Lena was on last night. Clip (Some vague future spoilers about Cersei)

Fey

Banned

I have no doubt this will happen. He's told them how the story will end, didn't he? I definitely think we'll be seeing the conclusion of the story through the show.

That could work out well.

Series
Wasn't there talk of going to the Last Hearth at some point in the books? For some reason I think I remember a discussion taking place about that, making it was just before they left Winterfell they were reviewing options or something.
Yeah, someone jog my memory on this. [series]
I don't remember when Rickon broke off and where they were going. I was in a Bran chapter and was like "where's Rickon? Oh well." Then later something about Skaagos is mentioned to Davos. I guess I just really don't care about Rickon.

Fey

Banned
Yeah, someone jog my memory on this. [series]
I don't remember when Rickon broke off and where they were going. I was in a Bran chapter and was like "where's Rickon? Oh well." Then later something about Skaagos is mentioned to Davos. I guess I just really don't care about Rickon.

series
They split up in Winterfell, with Bran+party going north and Rickon and Osha going elsewhere (not revealed where). Then in DWD we find out that he's apparently ended up in Skagos.

Seems like a small price to pay. Its a pretty big complement that people really want to read his books. Considering the money he has made thanks to the passion of the fans I hope his attitude is better then that.

dubq

Seems like a small price to pay. Its a pretty big complement that people really want to read his books. Considering the money he has made thanks to the passion of the fans I hope his attitude is better then that.

Well, I didn't say what his attitude is either way. I'm saying I can put myself in those shoes and understand that sometimes it's not as easy some like to think it is. It's a creative process. He's created a living / breathing world that a lot of people are invested in.. but he's not going to publish until he's happy with it and where it's going. I wouldn't have it any other way, to be honest.

CassSept

Book 1-3 were released on a 2 year schedule. The break of 5 years of 4 and 5 is insane.

Well he did start work on them earlier and even then how the story had grown is noticeable - it was supposed to be a trilogy with the RW being the climax of the first book. It now happens 2.5 thousand pages into the story.

Obviously abandoning timeskip and having to remap the events took a lot of time but yeah, it's getting kinda ridiculous now. I recently bumped into an article that announced that GRRM signed the deal with HBO that mentioned that it's highly possible he won't finish the series by 2011. Oh.

Dany

Banned

GRRM is just a person and he's gonna do what he's gonna do. I can only imagine what it must be like to have all of these people constantly on your back about this kind of stuff. Especially when the bulk of them have never written a novel or series themselves. I'll be happy when he delivers his novel whether it's 3 years or 5 years, personally. :).

I don't like other fantasy books and I am not literally twiddling my thumbs. I want to read this series to its end. That is not an insane request, and its made more preposterous by the long delays of book 4 and 5. He may take his time and not worry about his fans but I'll go on complaining because its completely justified. :p

Zabka

The most annoying part is that by cutting out the ending chapters of ADWD some characters haven't even had a full book's worth of story in 13 years.

Does the finale air this Sunday? I can't seem to find the air date anywhere, and it's tough to search the internet for this stuff while trying to avoid spoilers.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm sure it's been posted, but:

id3Jqe9DF7jiT.gif

Enosh

red priests are full of shit
series
I really don't understand how anyone can say the red priest are full of shit

christ the 3 we have seen are basically the wizards in asoiaf, mel can birth shadow babies, is immune to poison, can see the future to some extend and can ignite a bird with just her mind, she can basically cast fireballs like in some dnd shit, Thoros can obviously resurrect dead people and the one with Victarion can also do some magic shit i am forgetting right now ^^
so yeah red priest are the real deal

Trasher

Question regarding the Hound and his future story: ASoS (and beyond I suppose)
If you cut out the whole Quiet Isle, then what happens to his character as far as the show goes? I know it's pretty much an impossible question to answer because by the end of the book that's the last thing we know about him, but if you try to think from the show's perspective I think they could possibly just have him killed off. Maybe GRRM will revisit him at some point in the books, but it sounded like, to me, that his story was done in this series. If so, I would guess our last scene with him is just being mortally wounded at the Inn fight, and then Arya maybe has a tear jerker, bittersweet goodbye with him. However they handle it, I don't think we will see much more of him.

Fey

Banned
Question regarding the Hound and his future story: ASoS (and beyond I suppose)
If you cut out the whole Quiet Isle, then what happens to his character as far as the show goes? I know it's pretty much an impossible question to answer because by the end of the book that's the last thing we know about him, but if you try to think from the show's perspective I think they could possibly just have him killed off. Maybe GRRM will revisit him at some point in the books, but it sounded like, to me, that his story was done in this series. If so, I would guess our last scene with him is just being mortally wounded at the Inn fight, and then Arya maybe has a tear jerker, bittersweet goodbye with him. However they handle it, I don't think we will see much more of him.

I hope not. series
I really want him to come back into someone's storyline. If his role in the books isn't done, they'll probably make it more obvious that he's hanging out there (and he and Brienne briefly meet but don't recognize/know each other, or maybe he even joins her if he finds out what she's doing).

But I really hope his role isn't done, he's one of the best characters. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom