• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
(Series)
I want it to be (SOS)
the battle at Castle Black. Odd numbered seasons have ninth episodes in which characters are shockingly murdered, even numbered seasons have flashy battles. It should be a theme.
Series
This would be great, except there are no shocking deaths to put between the Wall and the next major battles at Meereen and Winterfell at the beginning of Winds unless they really shuffle some things around.

(Series)
#TeamTommen, the best king in ages by virtue of not being insane, not blowing the treasury in tournaments, and not being a sadistic asshole. If they kill off Tommen I will be most upset.

I want it to be (SOS)
the battle at Castle Black. Odd numbered seasons have ninth episodes in which characters are shockingly murdered, even numbered seasons have flashy battles. It should be a theme.

Forget Tommen, I'm #Team
SerPounce

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
game-of-thrones-characters-die-hbo-tv-ecards-someecards.png

iammeiam

Series
This would be great, except there are no shocking deaths to put between the Wall and the next major battles at Meereen and Winterfell at the beginning of Winds unless they really shuffle some things around.

(series)
This is a definite problem; they need to invent somebody to kill. I'm assuming they're going to massage the hell out of Dance and Feast, though. I need to reread to figure out if there's anyone's death they could move.

ASOS
lttp but the Mhysa track is amazing. I have a feeling we might get Dany's triumph along with Catelyn's resurrection for the final scene. The track/episode name are perfect for it.

series
lol, until you have to start familiarizing yourself with the Dornish and Targaryen history.

smerfy

Banned
I feel as though I'm in the minority of saying #teamlittlefinger

that guy is just...ahead of everyone. Cunning, intelligent, manipulative, but endearing. The only one playing the game right IMO

KingK

Series

uhh...DWD
Jon Snow? I mean, I know he's probably not dead, but still.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I feel as though I'm in the minority of saying #teamlittlefinger

that guy is just...ahead of everyone. Cunning, intelligent, manipulative, but endearing. The only one playing the game right IMO

Littlefinger isn't half as smart as the show tries to make him. He really has just lucked out with many things more than planned them.

Littlefinger isn't half as smart as the show tries to make him. He really has just lucked out with many things more than planned them.

Book Littlefinger is far smarter than Show Littlefinger. For starters, Book Littlefinger wouldn't threaten Cersei in front of her guards, discuss his plans with Varys, or show an obvious interest in Sansa. The book version of the characters is a far more subtle man than the character in the TV show is.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Book Littlefinger is far smarter than Show Littlefinger. For starters, Book Littlefinger wouldn't threaten Cersei in front of her guards, discuss his plans with Varys, or show an obvious interest in Sansa. The book version of the characters is a far more subtle man than the character in the TV show is.

I guess I am more talking about him and his plotting. He is less a plotter and more someone who can use the immediate situation to his advantage. That's why Vary's is better. Guy has a long term plan. Guy has backup plans, and then a third backup plan.

cashman

Banned

yes that's why ASOS
It won't be nearly as huge as a surprise when he helps Sansa escape in the show like it was in the books

Apath

He made his choice as soon as he chose not to kill her to get Robert's pardon. He's been her man since then.

ASOS (Probably season 4)
Isn't it revealed that he had been feeding information on her since Qarth? EDIT: Meant to say up until Qarth.

And I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been posted hundreds of times now and everyone is sick of it, but I just love this gif:
ApsgLKP.gif

Actually makes me really like Roose Bolton for some reason.

Blader

This is gonna be my one and only book question.

Last year, some book readers were complaining about (series? book? no idea)
naming one of the episodes "The North Remembers" because it's a cool line and using it so soon robs it of its impact when it shows up later. Since I can't remember "the North remembers" being used at any point within the show yet -- and the preview for next ep has Tyrion saying "the Northerners will never forget" -- is it correct to think that: a) this saying shows up later in the story (don't want to know when) and b) is in reference to not just Ned's death, but the red wedding too?

Not looking for hard details, just as nonspecific an answer as possible. :lol

This is gonna be my one and only book question.

Last year, some book readers were complaining about (series? book? no idea)
naming one of the episodes "The North Remembers" because it's a cool line and using it so soon robs it of its impact when it shows up later. Since I can't remember "the North remembers" being used at any point within the show yet -- and the preview for next ep has Tyrion saying "the Northerners will never forget" -- is it correct to think that: a) this saying shows up later in the story (don't want to know when) and b) is in reference to not just Ned's death, but the red wedding too?

Not looking for hard details, just as nonspecific an answer as possible. :lol

...........Yes...........
All you're getting out of me. :p

ASOS (Probably season 4)
Isn't it revealed that he had been feeding information on her since Qarth?

And I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been posted hundreds of times now and everyone is sick of it, but I just love this gif:
ApsgLKP.gif

Actually makes me really like Roose Bolton for some reason.

Shouldn't need a gif to make you like Lord Roose.

Joking aside, I wasn't sure about that actor for the longest time, but man he IS Roose Bolton. Those eyes.

Iksenpets

Banned
uhh...DWD
Jon Snow? I mean, I know he's probably not dead, but still.

DwD
If you're doing Feast+Dance as two seasons, I don't think there's anyway you could work Jon's death to be in the finale of the first season, especially if you also want the battles at Meereen and Winterfell to be the finale to the second season. He dies because he wants to go join the battle directly against the Boltons. The issue is less that there aren't dramatic events in Feast+Dance as it is that they're all really backloaded, and there's no clear midpoint climax like Storm has with the wedding.

DwD
If you're doing Feast+Dance as two seasons, I don't think there's anyway you could work Jon's death to be in the finale of the first season, especially if you also want the battles at Meereen and Winterfell to be the finale to the second season. He dies because he wants to go join the battle directly against the Boltons. The issue is less that there aren't dramatic events in Feast+Dance as it is that they're all really backloaded, and there's no clear midpoint climax like Storm has with the wedding.

Series
Myrcella getting disfigured and Stannis capturing Deepwood Motte would be good big events to put at the end of Season 5. You could maybe have those events in Episode 9, and then in Episode 10 have Manderly reveal his intentions to Davos. The Ironborn attacking the Shield Islands and Loras being sent to lift the siege on Dragonstone so that the fleet can go fight them would be another thing that would fit there.

yes that's why ASOS
It won't be nearly as huge as a surprise when he helps Sansa escape in the show like it was in the books

I think the show has actually done a decent bait and switch in that regard though. [ASoS]
They already showed Littlefinger's boat leave, which made it look like Sansa missed her chance to bail with him. So if they reintroduce Dontos or otherwise have a mysterious benefactor help Sansa escape, and then its revealed to be LF at the boat, that'll be fun to see. Maybe not a huge surprise, but decent.

Fey

Banned
I think the show has actually done a decent bait and switch in that regard though. [ASoS]
They already showed Littlefinger's boat leave, which made it look like Sansa missed her chance to bail with him. So if they reintroduce Dontos or otherwise have a mysterious benefactor help Sansa escape, and then its revealed to be LF at the boat, that'll be fun to see. Maybe not a huge surprise, but decent.

ASOS/series
Yeah, this is what they're doing, I'm guessing. I'm sad it won't be a huge shock as in the book, though (iirc, there's little to no interaction between Sansa and LF). I think I read someone say on here that people from the show said Dontos will play his role or something?

And yeah lol I feel sorry for the show runners/viewers. They may have gotten rid of three characters in the last episode but who knows how many we're getting in the coming seasons if they closely follow the book in that regard.

Angry Fork

So far it feels like this show's message has been: wrongs are not made right even if we want that to be the case. The bad people keep winning and the ones with honor keep losing (I know this is an extreme simplification, I'm just referring to someone like Bolton vs. a Stark).

So my question without spoilers is: is there some point where this isn't the case? Where a likeable, honorable character (like Arya) wins a big victory? How do you guys keep reading/watching if it's just fucked up shit happening over and over without any hope...

brentech

So far it feels like this show's message has been: wrongs are not made right even if we want that to be the case. The bad people keep winning and the ones with honor keep losing (I know this is an extreme simplification, I'm just referring to someone like Bolton vs. a Stark).

So my question without spoilers is: is there some point where this isn't the case? Where a likeable, honorable character (like Arya) wins a big victory? How do you guys keep reading/watching if it's just fucked up shit happening over and over without any hope...

GRRM puts the bait down for us. We bite...hook, line, and sinker.
lol

Fey

Banned

Almost all readers had the same reactions as all the show viewers have been having towards this scene (many stopped reading for days, weeks, even months, and some thought about not reading the books anymore), and we're still reading the books. That should tell you something.

Minus_Me

Almost all readers had the same reactions as all the show viewers have been having towards this scene (many stopped reading for days, weeks, even months, and some thought about not reading the books anymore), and we're still reading the books. That should tell you something.

There are some of us who never actually enjoyed Ned or Rob and actively cheered when they got killed.

Uh... it's well done I guess.

Seriously though not every story is happy, and not every story should be. Variety is a good thing.

ASOIAF isn't exactly a feel good series, but it's interesting to see what's going to happen next, and to see what the various characters are going to do next, at least I'm interested, I won't speak for anyone else in this thread.

At the same time though, I understand that some people watch TV as a form of escapism, in which case they probably won't like GoT and that's okay too.

Iksenpets

Banned

I would just say that this is a particularly dark moment.

I really don't think the story would be as compelling if GRRM played it safe with his characters. Everyone here is on equal footing and equally at risk. That's compelling, far more so than holding out hope for a happy ending and having it predictably come.

Angry Fork

That's good enough for me. I don't mind depressing stuff as long as it's meaningful. I just personally have little interest in the magic portions of the show so it's hard rooting for Stannis, and I don't care about the Stark son being able to get into animals/humans minds. I also loathe the Daenerys character/don't care about the dragons, she is unwatchable for me, I grind my teeth through her scenes and hope they go fast.

That leaves me with Arya, Lannisters, and littlefinger. Basically the only people still down to earth. Rob/Cat were still normal and did things without god's/ghosts but now they're gone =( It's weird because I usually like fantasy stuff in films, I love Lord of the Rings which has tons of it, and Harry Potter is entertaining. But for some reason I don't like it in this show. I want it to remain as real as can be.

I don't like the idea that Rob can fight as hard as he can, but he dies because some slug was thrown on a fire (if that's really why/how he died because of the witch lady with Stannis). That's just really boring and dissatisfying to me. There's no point in characters doing anything if someone can just appeal to a god to wish things.

Speevy

Banned
Just as I said before, good vs. evil may be too simplistic. However, not having characters who are at least not wanting to torture everyone in a winning position makes the show more compelling.

Without the emphasis that Dany wants to free slaves, she's just a murderer and conqueror, the daughter of psychopaths. This distinction makes her deeds more compelling.

Whether the show runners want to admit it or not,they are telling a tale of good versus evil.

Jaime is evil for killig Ned Stark's men and crippling Bran, but he earns redemption through loss and heroic deeds. His deeds distance him from his comparatively cruel family.

Same deal with Tyrion. From a merciless family, shows mercy, so we like him.

Without characters who conduct themselves with a principle, whether they're killers or saints, the audience cannot root for anyone. What the show needs is a character who hates the Lannnisters, but also learned a lesson from the red wedding.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

There have already been instances where 'good' things happen in the series. Often they occur as a result of a tragedy and often they do seem to be small mercies, but they're there. Bran gets crippled but a new gift awakens. Osha threatens his life but develops into a protector. Jaime is defeated, imprisoned and maimed and starts to be less of a dick. Dany is treated like a tool by her tool of a brother, but escapes his shadow and begins freeing those she relates to. This sort of pattern continues throughout the series, but the scale does tip back and forth between the two. It's a cruel world, but it's not without good people - or at the very least people trying to do the right thing - and if cruelty is the default position, it only makes those who rise above it appear that much better in comparison. If it was just constant Red Weddings, there wouldn't be enough left for anything beyond three books.

ramyeon

That's good enough for me. I don't mind depressing stuff as long as it's meaningful. I just personally have little interest in the magic portions of the show so it's hard rooting for Stannis, and I don't care about the Stark son being able to get into animals/humans minds. I also loathe the Daenerys character/don't care about the dragons, she is unwatchable for me, I grind my teeth through her scenes and hope they go fast.

That leaves me with Arya, Lannisters, and littlefinger. Basically the only people still down to earth. Rob/Cat were still normal and did things without god's/ghosts but now they're gone =( It's weird because I usually like fantasy stuff in films, I love Lord of the Rings which has tons of it, and Harry Potter is entertaining. But for some reason I don't like it in this show. I want it to remain as real as can be.

I don't like the idea that Rob can fight as hard as he can, but he dies because some slug was thrown on a fire (if that's really why/how he died because of the witch lady with Stannis). That's just really boring and dissatisfying to me. There's no point in characters doing anything if someone can just appeal to a god to wish things.
This is such a joke. I mean this is an event that has been building up over the course of the entire show. The signs leading to this are all there, it has nothing to do with throwing a slug on the fire at all.

Robb didn't die because of a slug. He died for the same reason his father did- because he made critical mistake after critical mistake.

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die."

Robb, while he did well with the war effort itself, sucked at the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom