• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
So, filthy book readers, now they've cleaned up one of the most prominent story arcs from the first season, how do you think this will affect the fanbase? Where there be a max exodus of people too broken and disinterested in the other plot threads?

raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

And to answer your question, only if they're idiots. How could you not want to see where the story is going to go? Season 4 will be great. From the red wedding to the end of ASOS is just nonstop awesome. It's other seasons that will really challenge their patience. :p

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I would imagine even if people left because of the RW (ASOS)
they'll be back when they hear Joffrey gets his just desserts

iammeiam

So, filthy book readers, now they've cleaned up one of the most prominent story arcs from the first season, how do you think this will affect the fanbase? Where there be a max exodus of people too broken and disinterested in the other plot threads?

I think people will be drawn in enough by the remaining plot threads/Starks to come back next year, and I think the back half of SoS/potentially this season's finale will deliver enough to get them reinvested. Specifically, I think (major SOS)
Joffrey's death early-ish next year
is going to make a lot of currently threatening to quit people happy and bring back some viewers who may have rage quit.

LProtag

Exactly.

Most of the Freys involved in the wedding start getting whacked throughout book 4 and 5. It's an awesome subplot

Who I remember

Black Walder
Rhaegar
Reyman

None of those characters are present in the series which means they're likely to ignore it.

Since they included
Wendel Manderly
I don't think they'll ignore it. They've also really done a good job of presenting a 'Frey' look with those floppy hats and shabby leather armor. Everyone who's been paying attention should be able to assume when they see a Frey on screen, they don't need to be a named character.

dubq

I thought it was Ryman Frey? He was one of the two that showed up to Riverrun to negotiate Edmure's wedding. ASOS
He's the one who starts everything by taking an axe to Dacey Mormont in the book and is considered one of the key planners of the Red Wedding.
He is Walder's oldest grandson and the second-in-line heir to the Twins, I think.

Ryman Frey wasn't cast for the show. It was Lothar Frey, I believe. Black Walder was also cast, and he is the one who slit Catelyn's throat.

They are also the two Frey's who met with Robb at Riverrun to discuss the terms of the alliance/wedding. If you watch closely at the end of that scene, you can even see Lothar's limp as they leave the room.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Lothar_Frey
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Walder_Frey_(Black_Walder)

EDIT: Black Walder next to Wendel Manderly - http://i.imgur.com/NyDxqle.png

Ryman Frey wasn't cast for the show. It was Lothar Frey, I believe. Black Walder was also cast, and he is the one who slit Catelyn's throat. They are also the two Frey's who met with Robb at Riverrun to discuss the terms of the alliance/wedding.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Lothar_Frey
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Walder_Frey_(Black_Walder)

EDIT: Black Walder next to Wendel Manderly - http://i.imgur.com/NyDxqle.png

Interesting. I never saw them mention any names for all these different Freys on the show so I just assumed they were keeping it in line with the book. I guess for the show it doesn't really matter. I think it's really cool that while they didn't go through and introduce Wendel, they at least gave him some attention.

Thanks for the clarification.

dubq

Interesting. I never saw them mention any names for all these different Freys on the show so I just assumed they were keeping it in line with the book. I guess for the show it doesn't really matter. I think it's really cool that while they didn't go through and introduce Wendel, they at least gave him some attention.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm hoping those two show up next year for some....
Stoneheart fun

Yeah, I mean it's possible that JB is "full of rich, smooth, creamy shit" and he has some book knowledge, but the other people in the thread wouldn't have paid any attention to it without a "sound the alarms" two posts later.

jett

D-Member
EatChildren acknowledging the existence of the books in the inferior GoT thread? Time to suffer the wrath of Bish!

:p

Azih

More than anything else I think the loss of the GreatJon character w hurt the image of Robb on the show. He was the best counterpoint to the Bolton's betrayal and the Karstark's abandonment of the Starks. Robb still had most of the North with him but the TV show made it look like the opposite.

Massa

More than anything else I think the loss of the GreatJon character w hurt the image of Robb on the show. He was the best counterpoint to the Bolton's betrayal and the Karstark's abandonment of the Starks. Robb still had most of the North with him but the TV show made it look like the opposite.

I disagree, Robb's cause was lost in the books and on the TV show. They did a wonderful job.

ASOS and episode 10
Also keep in mind the RW scene isn't over yet. Check out the preview for the next episode if you haven't already.

I thought this was really a weird omission because of Osha mentioning the Umbers in the same exact episode when talking to Rickon. If the Umbers are major allies to the Starks who would take in Rickon and keep him safe, why the hell were they absent at the wedding?

The Greatjon disappearing after season 1 was always really weird to me. I guess it was another actor scheduling issue which is a real shame.

Massa

I thought this was really a weird omission because of Osha mentioning the Umbers in the same exact episode when talking to Rickon. If the Umbers are major allies to the Starks who would take in Rickon and keep him safe, why the hell were they absent at the wedding?

Who said they were absent?

dubq

The Greatjon disappearing after season 1 was always really weird to me. I guess it was another actor scheduling issue which is a real shame.
It was. Clive Mantle/Greatjon was cast in another show and couldn't appear in season 2. I believe his show was cancelled, but by that point production had already begun on season 3, so he couldn't appear in this one either. Hopefully there is a chance for season 4 for him.

Who said they were absent?

Yeah I know, they're stil planning on showing the massacre of the rest of the Northern army in the finale...just lamenting the loss of the Greatjon's awesome part of the Red Wedding scene. In general, it's a shame they didn't have at least a little bit of Robb's party fighting back.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I still don't know why the Starks didn't obliterate the Boltons in the past. They were obviously enemies in the past, we know that.

NekoFever

EatChildren acknowledging the existence of the books in the inferior GoT thread? Time to suffer the wrath of Bish!

:p
I like it when they start slipping into the real world where the books exist, and then the true believers get angry and reactivate the reality distortion field.

jett

D-Member
I disagree, Robb's cause was lost in the books and on the TV show. They did a wonderful job.

ASOS and episode 10
Also keep in mind the RW scene isn't over yet. Check out the preview for the next episode if you haven't already.

Is it me or did the TV show actually display the depressing clusterfuck in which the Starks found themselves better than the book did? When I read ASOS I didn't really realize how hopeless their situation was.

...I really need to read these things again.

Iksenpets

Banned

Yeah, having Robb have a Bolton/Greatjon/Karstark war cabinet wouldve worked well since they're all really different, and they wouldn't have needed to add more than a few minutes to the season to give him a few lines. Greatjon could've gotten some good humor playing off of Bolton straightman demeanor. But I guess it wasn't to be, and once he was absent for the second season, there was no good way to work him back into season 3 that wouldn't confuse viewers.

ADwD
Hopefully they can use the Bolton/Theon/Stannis plot lines in the future to establish some of the Northern houses and their loyalty to the Starks after the fact. Have Manderly and the Umbers working on their schemes for Rickon and maybe get some Mormonts in there when they join Stannis.

jett

D-Member
I wonder what is the show going to do with Rickon and Osha. All books
They never said anything about going to the Umbers in the books, they're in Skagos for some reason.

dubq

They never said anything about going to the Umbers in the books, they're in Skagos for some reason.

Just because they say they're going one place, doesn't mean they'll make it there. ;)

I think this means they can bring back
The Greatjon
or something, right? If they want to retain actors I mean. But I expect if we see any more Rickon it will mostly be made-up stuff.

So far it feels like this show's message has been: wrongs are not made right even if we want that to be the case. The bad people keep winning and the ones with honor keep losing (I know this is an extreme simplification, I'm just referring to someone like Bolton vs. a Stark).

So my question without spoilers is: is there some point where this isn't the case? Where a likeable, honorable character (like Arya) wins a big victory? How do you guys keep reading/watching if it's just fucked up shit happening over and over without any hope...

I for one am glad that I can actually be surprised by a show. That, for once, the main character does die and that no deus ex machina saves the hero at the last second. You either win the game of thrones or you die and the good guys are dying because they are bad at the game. It is so refreshing to be surprised with a story.

Also the "bad" people aren't bad they just have different motivations. They are all looking for power and control anyways.

P.S. Littlefinger is the best. He is the only one truly playing the game and has climbed the furthest on the ladder of power.

Iksenpets

Banned

ADWD
They could do something like them going to Last Hearth, but Ramsay, aware that he's alive, is hot on their heels with a hunting party. The Umbers take them in, but realize they won't be safe once Roose arrives with the whole army, since then he could just storm the castle. So once Ramsay heads south to open up Moat Cailin for his dad, they sneak Rickon off to Skagos where no one would ever look. They tell Manderly about what they did, and from there you've reconnected it with the books while getting Osha and Rickon some screen time.

Is it me or did the TV show actually display the depressing clusterfuck in which the Starks found themselves better than the book did? When I read ASOS I didn't really realize how hopeless their situation was.

...I really need to read these things again.

Personally, I thought the Starks were screwed the moment the Tyrells allied themselves with the Lannisters. I still retained some sense of hope for the Stark war effort after Renly died, but all of it faded once it was revealed that Stannis was crushed by the combined forces of the Lannisters and Tyrells.

Fey

Banned
series
Concerning Rickon and Osha, the books never stated where they were headed to in the books, did it? Whether or not they didn't, and the showrunners decide to show their adventures together, it's possible GRRM filled D&D in with what happens to them before they end up in Skagos.

series
Concerning Rickon and Osha, the books never stated where they were headed to in the books, did it? Whether or not they didn't, and the showrunners decide to show their adventures together, it's possible GRRM filled D&D in with what happens to them before they end up in Skagos.

series
This is the most likely outcome. There's no way Rickon won't have a big role to play in the last two books, we'll probably get his first POV chapter in TWOW. I have no doubt that GRRM and D&D are planning to follow his travels with Osha and beef up his part in the next few seasons. There's no way they're keeping any key characters like him off screen for more than a season. And as previously mentioned, they can definitely take the opportunity to send them through the northlands meeting various Stark-loyal lords in order to familiarize the viewers.

People knew what they were getting into. Ned died back in season 1. Next week is going to be a ratings record break.

Whether people leave during or after season 5 because they get bored is another story.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I had to remind myself that GRRM is not my bitch.

Even if you have a problem with all his conferences I don't see the problem with being on an episode of Conan. It's an exponentially smaller time commitment and provides significantly more exposure for the show and his books than a convention does.

Eidan

Even if you have a problem with all his conferences I don't see the problem with being on an episode of Conan. It's an exponentially smaller time commitment and provides significantly more exposure for the show and his books than a convention does.
Every show he goes to, every con he decides to drop in on, is a day he isn't writing that goddamn book. Like Gaiman said, the man isn't our bitch. But the long wait for TWOW will always be in the back of my mind when reading stories like this.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Every show he goes to, every con he decides to drop in on, is a day he isn't writing that goddamn book. Like Gaiman said, the man isn't our bitch. But the long wait for TWOW will always be in the back of my mind when reading stories like this.

I get that, I'm just saying if it was up to me I'd rather he take a jaunt over to LA for an afternoon than fly across the country or world for a multi-day convention.

dubq

I always get a laugh out of "fans" who rant and rave that George should finish these books ASAP so that they can read them RYTE NAO~! Dude can have a life and write at his own pace. Even if that takes years. Get over it and read something else in the interim. ;)

EDIT: I should say that I'm not talking about Eidan, either! The conversation just reminded me of some IRL friends who froth at the mouth whenever these kinds of things come up.

Dany

Banned
I always get a laugh out of "fans" who rant and rave that George should finish these books ASAP so that they can read them RYTE NAO~! Dude can have a life and write at his own pace. Even if that takes years. Get over it and read something else in the interim. ;)
Book 1-3 were released on a 2 year schedule. The break of 5 years of 4 and 5 is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom